Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Kane Want to Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
The article Fourier linked said that if Kane wins the hearing San Jose would be on the hook for anything less than 7 million that his new teams offers him (in which case we can just offer him league minimum for 3 years, then 7 million for 3 years after getting Kane for 3.875 million per year over 6 years while San Jose is on the hook for 18.75 million from 2022-2025),
Isn't that just his take on what could happen? Plus I, wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks had more dirt on Kane to be used at arbitration that isn't public. Sharks have a better chance than, not to win. My guess. Didn't Richard's win and the Kings still had his control control?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Look at all their goaltender picks. They are varied and wide across countries and leagues.

My biggest takeaway from the vague Bader information would be never look at gift Waldstadt in the mouth. Based on his high level information, Walsdstadt is best positioned to cover the bet to NHL goaltending and 200+ games.
There are only 32 starter's jobs on the entire planet in respect to this draft. The reason teams shy away from taking them this early is because there is a substantial likelihood that the player you're taking will fail.

Looking league wide teams generally look to trade and free agency over their own draft and development when it comes to goaltending simply because your starter needs to fit the timing of the team's competitive window. Particularly in terms of payscale.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
First of all the reason I didn't list Carter Hart is I don't consider him a valuable goalie asset at the moment. His game fell apart last season (arguably the single worst performance from a starting goalie this past decade) and I don't think he's done enough to rebuild said value. For what it's worth the Oilers were likely to pick Cossa if Yzerman didn't trade up to cuck us, so the team WILL spend the premium draft capital on a goalie if they deem them good enough. They just didn't like Wallstedt for whatever reason. Heck Rodrigue was a 2nd round pick and he's tracking worse than the lower drafted Skinner.

We've had many goaltenders this past decade flounder under Schwartz to go on to see success elsewhere. Dubnyk is the one that hurts most since he was homegrown. Cam is another player who came from New York and had a solid first 2 years here before falling apart under Schwartz and getting "fixed" by Calgary and Minnesota after leaving us. Brossoit isn't anything special but did carve himself a nice niche as a NHL backup which is more than what could be said about his tenure with us.
Carter Hart failed within context of an epic organization failure. One that cost two coaches and potentially scorched earth reality to reboot an impatient organization. His numbers though were better than the two year ago crash I think you reference. He's an established NHL goalie on a trainwreck team.

I don't recall Dubnyk being under Schwartz but do the prior former Team Canada goal coach. Regardless, he was sewered by a shitty organization too that was a systemic trainwreck. He also required multiple organizations to rebuild his game, technique and mental strength. If people believe in Skinner, it is easy to draw the conclusion that Schwartz has been a part of his development to NHL level backup. Goaltenders, as said before, are inter-dependant to the quality or not of team in front of them. Hart and Dubnyk perfect examples when the trainwreck is all around you, goaltending quality and results will be negatively impacted as well.

Oilers have failed massively in squandering the best draft collateral of the league for an extended period of time. Failing to address goaltending just seems to be par for the course of being poorly managed.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Look at all their goaltender picks. They are varied and wide across countries and leagues.

My biggest takeaway from the vague Bader information would be never look at gift Waldstadt in the mouth. Based on his high level information, Walsdstadt is best positioned to cover the bet to NHL goaltending and 200+ games.
I left the 7th/9th round guys out since I don't think they really fit a strategy per se. They're just darts being thrown. Guys picked earlier in the draft are actively being targeted.

Yup. Wallstedt comes out looking really good in Bader's probability model.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I left the 7th/9th round guys out since I don't think they really fit a strategy per se. They're just darts being thrown. Guys picked early in the draft are actively being targeted.

Are you trying to get me mad again about the passing over of him?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
There are only 32 starter's jobs on the entire planet in respect to this draft. The reason teams why away from taking them this early is because there is a substantial likelihood that the player you're taking will fail.
The risk isn't as great a gap as one might think. Per the study I've referenced. I understand the math involved, there are significantly fewer jobs yet the position can have arguably the greatest impact on a team's success (often magnified the playoffs). So teams can take the volume hope and prayer route of mid/late picking (likely based on pretty minimal viewings and intel) or choose to use pedigree draft collateral to prospectively address an essential position for 5 or more years.

The fail rate of picks outside top ten is quite high. Goaltending picks are not exceptional different in terms of fail rate. Conversely teams are arguably better served to use mid-late volume picks to find useable positional depth players than wishing for a goaltender hit.

Pedigree goaltenders are increasingly bending the development curve down as they progress through an organization following their draft year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I left the 7th/9th round guys out since I don't think they really fit a strategy per se. They're just darts being thrown. Guys picked earlier in the draft are actively being targeted.

The volume draft strategy I view as round 3 to 7. First round and higher second round goaltender picks cover their selection odds quite well. If anything, the higher second round picks and their success reinforces they have been undervalued within the draft marketplace. The whole goalies are voodoo bunkum.

Waldstatt per Bader's vague general high-level information post reinforces high pedigree goaltenders playing at pro level as draft eligible players are most likely to develop into 200+ game NHL goaltenders. The pedigree is established with ability to play beyond peer competition in adult professional leagues and competition.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The volume draft strategy I view as round 3 to 7. First round and higher second round goaltender picks cover their selection odds quite well. If anything, the higher second round picks and their success reinforces they have been undervalued within the draft marketplace. The whole goalies are voodoo bunkum.

Waldstatt per Bader's vague general high-level information post reinforces high pedigree goaltenders playing at pro level as draft eligible players are most likely to develop into 200+ game NHL goaltenders. The pedigree is established with ability to play beyond peer competition in adult professional leagues and competition.
I'd say the 3rd and 4th round are still good places to target goalies.

That's where the European > CHL thing kicks in it seems. An overwhelming number of success stories in those rounds(Shesterkin, Sorokin, Saros, Merzlikins, Andersen, Huuso, Kahkonen, Vladar, etc) come from overseas.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The risk isn't as great a gap as one might think. Per the study I've referenced. I understand the math involved, there are significantly fewer jobs yet the position can have arguably the greatest impact on a team's success (often magnified the playoffs). So teams can take the volume hope and prayer route of mid/late picking (likely based on pretty minimal viewings and intel) or choose to use pedigree draft collateral to prospectively address an essential position for 5 or more years.

The fail rate of picks outside top ten is quite high. Goaltending picks are not exceptional different in terms of fail rate. Conversely teams are arguably better served to use mid-late volume picks to find useable positional depth players than wishing for a goaltender hit.

Pedigree goaltenders are increasingly bending the development curve down as they progress through an organization following their draft year.
At this point we should probably know that it's a give and take. There are a countless number of teams that have outstanding goaltenders that go absolutely nowhere.

If you're dead set on pedigreed goaltenders there's a pretty good chance you could grab a MacKenzie Blackwood or an Ilya Samsonov off of the trade market this summer for a fraction of the cost.

I have a very difficult time seeing how these draft agencies determine proper ranking to begin with when they're weighting them against skaters. Ultimately all pedigree will boil down to is a team's positional need at the time. If goaltenders in general were seen as uber-important positional players or sure things, you'd frequently see them go higher in the draft.

Fact of the matter is that goaltenders are tremendously difficult to project. Countless factors that go into the work they face night-to-night. And in the end it's just a guy, some pads, a stick and a mask keeping a piece of rubber out.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Come on boys, my oldest has Covid and had to miss practices and his game this week and has just been hanging around the house doing not much of anything. At least give him something to be happy about today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad