Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Kane Want to Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Playing on a one year show me contract, Kane quickly shook off the rust and is playing at almost a PPG pace…. Sure he is playing with incredible line mates, but he has also brought toughness. I think a winning team needs to find a way to keep him. His bet on himself THEN delivering results so far was brilliant. He may of already priced himself out of Edmonton, and with a strong playoff that will only cement that reality. Too bad, but good for him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kane has been a good fit, but let's be honest, it would be an absolute disaster if they give him a hefty long-term deal. He's already 30 years old and his value will only go down. The Oilers just gave that type of contract to Hyman and are still paying Lucic. They need to re-sign Puljujaarvi, Yamamoto, Bouchard and soon McLeod. Kane's replacement is to be sought at the trade deadline, not in free agency.
This this this

We have spent our budget for forwards over 30. If you have to pick between Kane or any of those young forwards, keep the young forward.

This is why I dont hate some poster's recent suggestion to trade Hyman. I dont agree with it, but if the idea is that what it takes to keep Kane, at least it is thinking about managing the roster properly.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'd keep Hyman over Kane. Strong two way player with no off-ice issues. Kane has a bit too much of a boom/bust factor to him. Yes, he's playing well this year but he could also be quite inconsistent.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
This this this

We have spent our budget for forwards over 30. If you have to pick between Kane or any of those young forwards, keep the young forward.

This is why I dont hate some poster's recent suggestion to trade Hyman. I dont agree with it, but if the idea is that what it takes to keep Kane, at least it is thinking about managing the roster properly.

That poster also cosplays the below on the daily
tar0o7pmv0z71.gif

He also has an NMC. So it’s not going to happen

Reactions: Skar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This this this

Unfortunately yes. We actually probably need to start thinking about Draisaitl's raise in a few years from now too ... you can't have everyone signed to long term deals (Kane, Hyman, Puljujarvi, etc. etc.) with no cap coming off your books.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Unfortunately yes. We actually probably need to start thinking about Draisaitl's raise in a few years from now too ... you can't have everyone signed to long term deals (Kane, Hyman, Puljujarvi, etc. etc.) with no cap coming off your books.
You can, just need to make sure you don't hand out NTC and NMC like candy.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Keith, Foegele and Kassian make too much for what they bring. Keith we can't do much about but the other 2 shouldn't be an Oiler next season unless they really turn it up in the playoffs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd keep Hyman over Kane. Strong two way player with no off-ice issues. Kane has a bit too much of a boom/bust factor to him. Yes, he's playing well this year but he could also be quite inconsistent.
I'd keep both. Connor and Leon (and Nuge for that matter) need effective wingers that can fish out the puck for them and score on their passes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm still trying to figure out what has changed that people think teams are gonna line up to sign kane long term? He was basically ppg last year with inferior linemates and only a few teams were interested in him.
I agree that most teams wouldn't be looking at long term with him. If they were they would've taken him at 50% AAV. I think that most teams would be looking at 3 years max. If we could add an extra year or 2 on that to drop his AAV it could be well worth it if things don't go sideways.

Reactions: LaGu

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Keep in kind that the cap ceiling may have raised up a decent amount by then

Reactions: yakcity1064

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
And people are trading Barrie and not naming the team that will trade for him. Some assume it will be easy to trade the players we do not want

Isles, Montreal, Seattle, Ottawa, LA, Detroit, Columbus off the top of my head

Not exactly a shortage of teams that can use a offensive RHD that QBs a PP

He'll be very easy to trade

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
And people are trading Barrie and not naming the team that will trade for him. Some assume it will be easy to trade the players we do not want
He is trending up since his return from injury. NJ, Kraken, MTL have been mentioned many a times but even a team like LA could use him.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Isles, Montreal, Seattle, Ottawa, LA, Detroit, Columbus off the top of my head

Not exactly a shortage of teams that can use a offensive RHD that QBs a PP

He'll be very easy to trade
Seems like most Isles fans don't think he would serve a purpose for their team.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I remember when we couldn't get a 2nd rounder for either Yamamoto or Puljujarvi on the trade board... and that was all the way back in September.
slap-head.gif

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Playing on a one year show me contract, Kane quickly shook off the rust and is playing at almost a PPG pace…. Sure he is playing with incredible line mates, but he has also brought toughness. I think a winning team needs to find a way to keep him. His bet on himself THEN delivering results so far was brilliant. He may of already priced himself out of Edmonton, and with a strong playoff that will only cement that reality. Too bad, but good for him.

The question is, will he get the Barrie treatment? I'm not so sure there will be teams lined up with long term contracts for this player.

There are still questions around Evander, but he can play (we all knew that).

Reactions: yakcity1064
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad