Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Kane Want to Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't think you did factor it in because you said there was only 6m in cap space left after trading Barrie and re-signing the RFA's for $8m total. If they trade Barrie for a pick, they'll have 18m in cap space which would leave 10m after those re-signings, the Klef LTIR is what you were missing.

Trade Barrie and you have exactly $17,556,538
My 3 RFA signings you have exactly $9,381,538 left
Promote Holloway, Skinner, Broberg and Nemo you have exactly $6,080,705 left with a 13th forward and 2nd pair D missing.

This factors in Klefbom and the dead Cap. The math is solid.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Trade Barrie and you have exactly $17,556,538
My 3 RFA signings you have exactly $9,381,538 left
Promote Holloway, Skinner, Broberg and Nemo you have exactly $6,080,705 left with a 13th forward and 2nd pair D missing.

This factors in Klefbom and the dead Cap. The math is solid.
I'm just not assuming that all those guys will be promoted but sure if that's the assumption then, sure the math checks out.
Also, add an extra million for cap rise so $7m with a Barrie trade and the RFA's signed to your projected numbers. I guess a lot of that will be allocated to a Dman+extra forward if Skinner is the guy next season.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm just not assuming that all those guys will be promoted but sure if that's the assumption then, sure the math checks out.
Also, add an extra million for cap rise so $7m with a Barrie trade and the RFA's signed to your projected numbers. I guess a lot of that will be allocated to a Dman+extra forward if Skinner is the guy next season.

I did add the extra million. If those guys don't get promoted, someone has to fill those roles, and you wont be filling those positions with better players at a lower cost.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Barrie won't be traded. Foegele won't be traded. Nobody will take Smith. Hopefully Kassian is going. Keith won't be traded. Koskinen will be gone. Kane will be gone. Ryan won't be traded.

I see pretty much the same team with a different goalie starter and rookies in and out of the lineup. A couple of new 3rd 4rth liners maybe. This year's rookies McLeod and Bouchard will take another step.

Kane would be very nice but I don't see it happening.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Barrie won't be traded. Foegele won't be traded. Nobody will take Smith. Hopefully Kassian is going. Keith won't be traded. Koskinen will be gone. Kane will be gone. Ryan won't be traded.

I see pretty much the same team with a different goalie starter and rookies in and out of the lineup. A couple of new 3rd 4rth liners maybe. This year's rookies McLeod and Bouchard will take another step.

RIP cup hopes then. This team still needs about 5 sizeable upgrades

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I did add the extra million. If those guys don't get promoted, someone has to fill those roles, and you wont be filling those positions with better players at a lower cost.
9m (current cap space)+8.7m approx. (Klef LTIR and Barrie trade)+1m is 18.7m and you had it at over a mil less than that. Anyway, it's just me nitpicking really.

In any event, I agree about filling the depth roles but I'm just calculating the raw cap space which would be 10m to fill 2nd pair D, goalie, depth positions but since you have 4 of the spots filled with rookies you're right that it's in the 6-7m range to fill out the rest which in this case would be 2nd pair D being the biggest need. Either way, they'll have a little flexibility to work with if they trade Barrie for a pick, re-sign their RFA's at your projected 8m (which might be on the light side I think) and cheap out on the goaltending.
Keith retiring would be swell but that seems unlikely considering how much he loves to play.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I mean I'm basing Barrie being traded based off of cryptic talk from Stauffer yesterday. Often with him, when theres smoke, there's fire.

I think the team will be willing to do what it takes to move players, IF, viable improvements are available for them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is absolutely overkill.

If you took today's team and Upgraded Smith to a better goaltender, and Bouchard to a veteran 2nd pairing guy, I would consider this team cup favourites as much as Colorado or the Florida teams. Honestly
also it's not like the pre-cap days, where there were juggernaut super-teams. The top contenders of today all have serious holes and flaws on them. Our flaws are perhaps more concerning, but all that needs is for a couple guys to get hot and the gap between the Oilers and the best teams is virtually gone.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
And if so, would he take a contract to be a part of the team longer term? I'm sure that he wants to be paid, but there is a lot going for him here and it seems like he's been a good fit on and off the ice. Would a 4 year, $24 million deal (AAV of $6 million) get it done?
Unfortunately he is going to the highest bidder given his financial situation. players now days could give two shits about the legacy they leave behind as players it’s about getting paid. Hard to fault that in today’s society.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
also it's not like the pre-cap days, where there were juggernaut super-teams. The top contenders of today all have serious holes and flaws on them. Our flaws are perhaps more concerning, but all that needs is for a couple guys to get hot and the gap between the Oilers and the best teams is virtually gone.
Agreed. Any of Nurse, Bouch, Broberg, Skinner, Holloway, Yamo or Pulju finding the next level only improves our chances more.

I would simply love up upgrade on Smith and Barrie if possible to rely less on the unknown. As would we all. lol

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If you dump all high salary pieces like Kieth or Koskinen + Kassian - then you might consider it.

Its really about Kieth or Kane.
I might leantowards Kane - he brings elements the team needs. And fits McDangle. Penalties is a part of being aggressive, but I dont like long term, and I do like Kieths safecard being more discilplined

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
May be a miracle if we can move Barrie without taking cap back. The cap is going up only $1M, and lots of teams are tight. The other thing we're not considering is what a shark Puljularvi's agent is, we may be able to sell Yam on a bridge deal for $3-3.5 but that guy is going to ask for the moon. Smith and Kassian may need to be buyouts if we need to clear their cap.

I wonder if we'd also move Foegele for a piece or cap savings after an underwhelming season. Holloway is a left wing, so I'd move him to Connor's line and put McLeod with RNH or centering the 4th line. Hyman can switch sides but he's so effective from the left, I don't see a reason to do so.

In the miracle section, if Klefbom also retires would that clear more space?
I think Foegele gets moved in the offseason. He's a good checker and will pot between 30-40 points a year in the right situation. But he's not a great fit on this roster when he's looking for better opportunities. He hasn't clicked with the skill centers and he doesn't help us out on the special teams.

With guys like Nick Paul, Pavel Zacha or even Jake Debrusk out there on the market this summer, we might be better suited grabbing the pick we get for him and using that cap to snag one of them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unfortunately he is going to the highest bidder given his financial situation. players now days could give two shits about the legacy they leave behind as players it’s about getting paid. Hard to fault that in today’s society.
Even if this is the case, I doubt that anyone gives him more than a 5 year term or more than $6 million AAV. If they do and he gets himself into trouble or becomes a distraction to his team again it could become a disastrous contract.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Even if this is the case, I doubt that anyone gives him more than a 5 year term or more than $6 million AAV. If they do and he gets himself into trouble or becomes a distraction to his team again it could become a disastrous contract.
I’d be shocked to see that. I don’t see him getting a deal that’s more the 3-4 years at 5M. If anyone wanted him for 6M at 5 years they could have had him for free at 4X7M last offseason, and that was after he arguably put up better numbers then this year.

Kane hasn’t been a distraction here, as far as we know, but he has a history and a reputation. I’ll personally be shocked if his term ends up being more then 3-4 years. He’s never even spent that long on a single team without them trying to just get rid of him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If we had a young GM I’d be hoping for some creative options to work around the cap issue. You can’t give Kane 5 or 6 per this offseason without losing some bigger pieces, but you can next year with Keith off the books. Would he go 1 year at ~3 with a handshake 5x5 extension as soon as you’re allowed to sign it (essentially offering him 6x4.667)? Dare you go into next year with Skinner/Smith as your goalie tandem and then go after a guy like Fleury, Quick, or Nedeljkovic with double retention at the deadline?

Those of us who wanted to take Kane with 50% retention when it was available sure aren’t looking so crazy anymore

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Kane will be replaced by one of our rookies. We have more pressing needs to fill with the few bucks available.

As much as I would like Kane to stay, my guess is that the Oilers are grooming Holloway to fill that role for next year.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
As much as I would like Kane to stay, my guess is that the Oilers are grooming Holloway to fill that role for next year.
Grooming a rookie who's never played an NHL game to be a linemate to McDavid on the number 1 line? I hope not!

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If I were Kane, part of my consideration would be what the Oilers do in goal this off-season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Barrie is still productive on the backend.

If you target teams who need offense from the backend you might be able to make yourself a very nice deal.
Yeah, especially with his uptick since the coaching change. He, imo, would be very movable in the offseason, because he's easier to fit in that scenario.

Reactions: North

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Barrie is still productive on the backend.

If you target teams who need offense from the backend you might be able to make yourself a very nice deal.

That’s what I’m thinking too. Even with less production this year, he’s on a good deal and only 2 more seasons on his contract afterwards. Not too many that it could be a burden, but enough that the team acquiring him would have a valuable contributor for 2 seasons, and a potential piece to move at the TDL for a nice return (if a rebuilding team).

I could see Seattle being all over this (for Soucy?)

Also like @Jimmi McJenkins said, he’s been much better after the coaching change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad