Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Kane Want to Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So thinking about Foegele and the offseason, he might be a fit for a young team who are up and coming. He's relatively cheap, plays reasonable well in the top-9, is big and can skate, he could be a decent veteran buoy for a team bringing along alot of youth.

Reactions: PostBradMalone

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Something like this would be possible next year, no? Just move out Smith, Foegele and Kassian while bringing in Husso and keeping Kaner.

1649351864116.png

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I doubt it, he'll likely cash in.
Holland should be searching for the next budget cast-off a la Kane/TonyD

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Something like this would be possible next year, no? Just move out Smith, Foegele and Kassian while bringing in Husso and keeping Kaner.

View attachment 527911
I think Husso costs a little more, but I don't mind it. Still think Keith and/or Barrie are out by next year, plus there are lots of options for the bottom of the roster (which I don't expect you to have because who knows from now to September)

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Husso costs a little more, but I don't mind it. Still think Keith and/or Barrie are out by next year, plus there are lots of options for the bottom of the roster (which I don't expect you to have because who knows from now to September)

It would be tight for sure. Holland wont be able to overpay guys. Players will either need to take a bit of a discount or sign longer term contracts like Hyman/RNH.

Keith retiring would be amazing from a cap perspective but I see him finishing out his contract with us. I also dont mind Barrie and his contract with the way hes playing with Kulak.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

View attachment 527911
Would be great if it can happen and I definitely like the idea of jettisoning Kassian to replace with Monahan... it's just tough to see all of those contracts breaking our way.

When you put this together, how much cap were you left with (I'm too lazy to add it up and in any case there is still the dead cap to deal with).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think Foegele gets moved in the offseason. He's a good checker and will pot between 30-40 points a year in the right situation. But he's not a great fit on this roster when he's looking for better opportunities. He hasn't clicked with the skill centers and he doesn't help us out on the special teams.

With guys like Nick Paul, Pavel Zacha or even Jake Debrusk out there on the market this summer, we might be better suited grabbing the pick we get for him and using that cap to snag one of them.
Foegele should be easy to trade for the reasons you state.

Debrusk signed a 2 year extension for $4M. Given the Bruin's cap situation I think this was more about recouping some assets for him as it would not surprise me in the least to see them move him in the off season. He has 21 goals this year but is inconsistent. They can probably get a better return in picks and prospects now than they would have at teh deadline and they still have him for the playoffs.

Zacha is an RFA with a $2.6-2.7M QO. I don't see why the Devils would let him walk.

Paul is an interesting option but I wonder if Tampa does not try to resign him. They are up against the cap as usual but I think they let Palat walk and that leaves them with about $6.5M to spend. That can go a long way in Tampa with guys willing to sign for not much more than the minimum.

Reactions: joestevens29

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Paying Husso 4M for a good 34 game stretch has "regret" written all over it. Strong Scott Darling vibes.
Also there's that little problem of signing a UFA goaltender who wants to play here.

Would prefer Holland be proactive and trade for a goalie at the draft than left holding the bag again after the even lighter than usual UFA goalie carousel is empty.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
As much as I would like Kane to stay, my guess is that the Oilers are grooming Holloway to fill that role for next year.
I don’t follow our prospects like a lot of people around here do. Is Holloway a big body that hits as well as being skilled or is he just another soft skilled guy that our lineup already has in spades?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Paying Husso 4M for a good 34 game stretch has "regret" written all over it. Strong Scott Darling vibes.
I disagree, I'm getting Cam Talbot vibes here. If you give him long term money maybe, but good money short term (with the ability to get a raise extension) makes a ton of sense.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Also there's that little problem of signing a UFA goaltender who wants to play here.

Would prefer Holland be proactive and trade for a goalie at the draft than left holding the bag again after the even lighter than usual UFA goalie carousel is empty.

There aren’t a ton of options though. Most rebuilding/declining teams don’t have a youngish, established goalie that also might be available. Gibson would be a great pickup, but he’s hard to make work cap wise. You could gamble on Blackwood rebounding or maybe San Jose flips Kahkonen?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I disagree, I'm getting Cam Talbot vibes here. If you give him long term money maybe, but good money short term (with the ability to get a raise extension) makes a ton of sense.

Cam Talbot came to Edmonton on a 1.5M x 1 year contract. I don't think anyone would have been happy if the Oilers signed him at 4M for several years based on the number of games he played. If Husso would sign for an equivalent amount, then absolute. But 4M is a bad idea for a guy who has been good for 34 games.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And if so, would he take a contract to be a part of the team longer term? I'm sure that he wants to be paid, but there is a lot going for him here and it seems like he's been a good fit on and off the ice. Would a 4 year, $24 million deal (AAV of $6 million) get it done?
when talking about money for him--we need then discuss on which contract or contracts we are moving out and are we moving away from both Yams and King Bison?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There aren’t a ton of options though. Most rebuilding/declining teams don’t have a youngish, established goalie that also might be available. Gibson would be a great pickup, but he’s hard to make work cap wise. You could gamble on Blackwood rebounding or maybe San Jose flips Kahkonen?
More interested in Reimer if he'd waive to come here to be honest. Gives us some time to see what Skinner is. Not sure I'd really want Kahkonen.

Seems very odd how Minny really didn't want the guy anymore. Left open in expansion then dealt

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
I don’t follow our prospects like a lot of people around here do. Is Holloway a big body that hits as well as being skilled or is he just another soft skilled guy that our lineup already has in spades?

He’s actually quite a bit like Hyman, but a better skater and can play C in addition to both wings. Good vision/passer, hard worker, plays an involved game at 6’2 200. Even if the Hyman contract becomes an albatross in 4 years it will have been worth it to help kids like Holloway know what a truly elite compete level looks like.

I think Holloway can be a great middle six player who can play any way you need him to, which is a nice piece on a contender. I don’t believe he will ever have the offensive punch of a true top liner but we’ll see. That’s why if we can hang onto Kane by any means necessary we should, just not a lot of those players around.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Career-wise, we are a perfect fit for Kane. Gets a chance to play with 3 elite centers in their prime in a playoff team for the next several years.

Money-wise not so much, I'm sure a desperate team will give him 7x7 on July 1st.

Reactions: Mr Positive

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
More interested in Reimer if he'd waive to come here to be honest. Gives us some time to see what Skinner is. Not sure I'd really want Kahkonen.

Seems very odd how Minny really didn't want the guy anymore. Left open in expansion then dealt

Sharks fans seem content with Reimer-KK next year, it’s Adin Hill they have talked about moving. Which, if you dig into his potential upside, is who we should be targeting anyway:

-6’6, so new age size
-Age 25, which is when goalies tend to establish themselves
-Good numbers all the way up the ladder, including with two not good NHL teams

I still wouldn’t feel 100% comfortable with a Hill-Skinner tandem next year given how little experience they each have, but it’s an (inexpensive) option. I’d rather gamble on one of the two kids putting it together over Smith or some other retread anyway.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sharks fans seem content with Reimer-KK next year, it’s Adin Hill they have talked about moving. Which, if you dig into his potential upside, is who we should be targeting anyway:

-6’6, so new age size
-Age 25, which is when goalies tend to establish themselves
-Good numbers all the way up the ladder, including with two not good NHL teams

I still wouldn’t feel 100% comfortable with a Hill-Skinner tandem next year given how little experience they each have, but it’s an (inexpensive) option. I’d rather gamble on one of the two kids putting it together over Smith or some other retread anyway.
Skinner is the real wild card here and it's too bad they aren't playing him to see what they have in him.

Reactions: PostBradMalone

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Cam Talbot came to Edmonton on a 1.5M x 1 year contract. I don't think anyone would have been happy if the Oilers signed him at 4M for several years based on the number of games he played. If Husso would sign for an equivalent amount, then absolute. But 4M is a bad idea for a guy who has been good for 34 games.
Yeah, that would be rough, I think the deal would be 2 years, 3 years max, at around $4M.

The issue is he's a UFA, so it's going to come with a payment. You're right about the games, but he's been very good. He seems to be trending in the right direction.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
If San Jose is forced to honour their contract to Kane, then they will have to buy him out. What reason would San Jose use to nullify it?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I don’t disagree. I’m just not sure how many more options there really are for a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad