Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Bored having a few brewskies thought I would throw out a offseason plan...

Eberle + Oesterle/Simpson + 62nd overall for Hamonic

4th overall + Yakupov + Fayne for Barrie + Iginla (25% retained)
- promise to Iginla if Oilers are out of contention at TDL will move to a contender to get to waive NTC.

32nd overall for Jannik Hansen

Sign Chad Johnson 1 year @ 1.5M

Forwards (36.65m)

Hall (6) - Draisiatl (3) - Hansen (2.5)
Pouliot (4) ) - McDavid (4) - Iginla (4)
Maroon (1.5) - RNH (6) - Caggiula (1)
Hendricks (1.85) - Letestu (1.8)- Khaira (1)

Defense (21.5m)

Klefbom (4) - Hamonic (4)
Sekera (5.5) - Barrie (6)
Davidson (1) - Reinhart/Nurse/Gryba (1)

Goalies (5.5m)

Talbot (4)
Johnson (1.5)

Cap Hit: 63.65m + Contracts in AHL (still lots of cap room going forward for McD + Drai raises)

PP1
McDavid, Barrie, RNH, Iginla, Maroon
- 2 LH set up guys, 2 RH shooters and big net presence with soft hands.

PP2
Draisaitl, Hall, Pouliot, Hansen and Klefbom
-Drai to set up Hall and Hansen in high slot, Pouliot in front and Klefbom on point.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Pouliot would certainly be cheaper. The Oilers could easily carry some of his salary as well. Say $500K. Perron made $4.5M in real money this year (which is the issue in Anaheim). I would be surprised to see him sign for much less than $4.5-5M without first testing the market since this is his chance at a payday. That said, I'd might well prefer Pouliot to Perron. Both are very streaky scorers. But their production has not been all that different of late and I think Pouliot does more for you when he is not putting up points.

I think Perron would be in the $3.8M neighborhood on the open market he just had two seasons where he was at a 0.5 point per game pace which is pretty close comparable to Matt Beleskey, but he's bounced around a bit and did look pretty bad for some sizeable chunks of time in Pittsburgh. I don't think he's at the point of anyone opening their wallet wide open for him, if he wants a home where he seems like a good fit instead of roaming around he could sign in Anaheim for somewhere in the $3.25M-$3.5M range and I think that would be a reasonably likely outcome.

While retaining $500K is a pittance in the grand scheme of things I'm really hesitant on doing it on long-term deals not because of the amount of money, but because you can only retain on so many contracts simultaneously and it really hinders our flexibility to get deals done in the future. Like I could see us trading Fayne with retention and if we also did that on Pouliot we could only do it once more in the next 2 years till Fayne's retention falls off.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He won't as Calgary isn't even starting their coach search until Monday.

Looks like the Wild got him. Phew. We still have to play against his team a lot, and Minny will be better, but it's the lesser evil than Calgary getting him. Dodged a bullet here, IMO.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Then we should keep him; play him with McDavid for the year; make him look like the 2nd coming of Mike Bossy; and trade him next year.

I am sick of the buy high, sell low mentality.

Except doing that means giving McD a crap linemate for another year.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
He won't as Calgary isn't even starting their coach search until Monday.

Pretty sure they would have started. You don't go firing someone so abruptly without having done some research into other options, whether you actually talked to them or not.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd be okay with that.

At the same time, I feel like it might be time to move on from Yakupov and I'd be scouring the NHL to see if any other teams have young, top-end talent players they're ready to move on from as well. If a match exists, I think that's a better option than moving on to round 5 with Yakupov. Some guys who might be good fits (some of whom would require more added on either side):

Alexander Khokhlachev
Valeri Nichuskin
Marko Dano
Kerby Rychel
Scott Laughton
Curtis Lazar
Teemu Pulkkinen
Michael McCarron
Ryan Strome
Matt Puempel
Mark McNeill
Brendan Gaunce
Joel Armia

Again, some of those guys would cost more than Yakupov and some would cost a lot less. From that list, I'd be at least making some phone calls on Lazar, Nichuskin, Laughton, and Rychel. All four of those guys would add a little more grit/size to the lineup and could be better fits long-term than Yakupov.

• Alexander Khokhlachev -I'd say easy pass since he went back to Russia, quite a bit of skill here though
  • Valeri Nichuskin -I predicted he'd have success early in his career, but fall off later cause NHL teams would adjust to the way he attacks which I always felt was fairly predictable; size and speed package is still very enticing, but injuries would make me shy away if no sweetener was added
  • Marko Dano -His inability to look more dominate in the AHL is worrying to me, I'd pass
  • Kerby Rychel -It should be Rychel+ and his agent is a headache waiting to happen, but we might be able to make a foundation for a trade here
  • Scott Laughton -He has progressed slower than Philly fans expectations, but is progressing in the right direction he has elements to him that remind me of Jenner, I think we lose the 1 for 1 swap, but I'd be interested; I see this being a Chia type player
  • Curtis Lazar -His analytics are horrible, loved the player in junior though, if we are patient I think he can develop into a real quality role player, but we give up a lot of skill here
  • Teemu Pulkkinen -2 years older than Yak and is still putting up less points and doesn't provide much beyond offense like Yak, I like that this player shoots all the time, but we lose this deal
  • Phillip Danault -Don't feel I have enough viewings on this player, my gut says its a bad idea, but not really sure
  • Michael McCarron -A big gamble, but a potentially big pay off, I think I'd be fine with it, even if he stumbles a bit big skilled centers seem to get multiple chances with teams so he should hold his trade value decently in the near future
  • Ryan Strome -very easy yes, doubt NYI would bite
  • Matt Puempel -Doesn't have the pedigree his OHL, AHL, & NHL numbers all signal problems aside from his rookie AHL season, he looks like someone who won't stick in the NHL-
  • Mark McNeill -Nearly in bust territory, should cost quite a bit less than Yak
  • Brendan Gaunce -analytics hint he might become a useful role player in the future, but I'd pass
  • Joel Armia -He looked downright horrible in the AHL, better in the NHL, but he will probably amount to little more than a Steve Bernier type career, sad cause I liked him a lot in the couple years following his draft, but I've seen a lot of bad + lazy play from him in the AHL, I'd steer well clear

Last edited:

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Bored having a few brewskies thought I would throw out a offseason plan...

Eberle + Oesterle/Simpson + 62nd overall for Hamonic

4th overall + Yakupov + Fayne for Barrie + Iginla (25% retained)
- promise to Iginla if Oilers are out of contention at TDL will move to a contender to get to waive NTC.

32nd overall for Jannik Hansen

Sign Chad Johnson 1 year @ 1.5M

Forwards (36.65m)

Hall (6) - Draisiatl (3) - Hansen (2.5)
Pouliot (4) ) - McDavid (4) - Iginla (4)
Maroon (1.5) - RNH (6) - Caggiula (1)
Hendricks (1.85) - Letestu (1.8)- Khaira (1)

Defense (21.5m)

Klefbom (4) - Hamonic (4)
Sekera (5.5) - Barrie (6)
Davidson (1) - Reinhart/Nurse/Gryba (1)

Goalies (5.5m)

Talbot (4)
Johnson (1.5)

Cap Hit: 63.65m + Contracts in AHL (still lots of cap room going forward for McD + Drai raises)

PP1
McDavid, Barrie, RNH, Iginla, Maroon
- 2 LH set up guys, 2 RH shooters and big net presence with soft hands.

PP2
Draisaitl, Hall, Pouliot, Hansen and Klefbom
-Drai to set up Hall and Hansen in high slot, Pouliot in front and Klefbom on point.

Looks pretty good. I'd rather have Kassian where caggiula is. And I'd rather an add like Shaw over Iginla.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think Perron would be in the $3.8M neighborhood on the open market he just had two seasons where he was at a 0.5 point per game pace which is pretty close comparable to Matt Beleskey, but he's bounced around a bit and did look pretty bad for some sizeable chunks of time in Pittsburgh. I don't think he's at the point of anyone opening their wallet wide open for him, if he wants a home where he seems like a good fit instead of roaming around he could sign in Anaheim for somewhere in the $3.25M-$3.5M range and I think that would be a reasonably likely outcome.

While retaining $500K is a pittance in the grand scheme of things I'm really hesitant on doing it on long-term deals not because of the amount of money, but because you can only retain on so many contracts simultaneously and it really hinders our flexibility to get deals done in the future. Like I could see us trading Fayne with retention and if we also did that on Pouliot we could only do it once more in the next 2 years till Fayne's retention falls off.

Fair enough. It is very possible that Perron does not get paid based on two off years. BUt I doubt he takes that right away as it represents a pay cut and he was producing at a significantly higher pace for the ducks.

I would als be hesitant to retain on a longer deal, but to get the right defenseman with an asset like Pouliot rather than a guy like RNH I would certainly consider it. You do have three retentions at any one time so I think it is less of a flexibility issue than it might seem.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016

Isles fans blast Eberle all year while one of their most connected media guys doesn't seem to share the same sentiment. Hmmmm.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Isles fans blast Eberle all year while one of their most connected media guys doesn't seem to share the same sentiment. Hmmmm.

That's basically what they've been saying all along to be honest. But I don't agree with Staple on the value. If anything, Eberle is overpayment for Hamonic, all things considered.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
That's basically what they've been saying all along to be honest. But I don't agree with Staple on the value. If anything, Eberle is overpayment for Hamonic, all things considered.

I agree. Staios for Kovalchuk. Petry for Perry.

Doesn't make sense does it?

I'm exaggerating a bit but the valuation is clearly Oiler biased.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray

At the end of the day fans and media don't make the decision. And if they are committed to trading hamonic and Eberle is the best return then you trade for Eberle. It isn't always just what should a player return sometimes other factors (like trade requests, bidding war) drive the value of the return up or down. I could care less what "Steve from long island" thinks. PC and snow are the only opinions that matter.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
At the end of the day fans and media don't make the decision. And if they are committed to trading hamonic and Eberle is the best return then you trade for Eberle. It isn't always just what should a player return sometimes other factors (like trade requests, bidding war) drive the value of the return up or down. I could care less what "Steve from long island" thinks. PC and snow are the only opinions that matter.

Something that too many people on HFboards don't seem to understand.

"There is no way we take anything less than Nuge++ or Hall" Islanders HF fan says it, so it must be true.

With the strong market for D out there this summer and our flexibility, I'm confident we can greatly improve the D while keeping all of McDavid, Hall, RNH, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson, Talbot and the Pick

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
The trade would have been...........???

To me, my opinion..........the trade (Eberle for Hamonic) would have been made long ago but for the fact that Eberle makes $6 M which NYI cannot afford. If NYI lose Okopso then they might reconsider.........but if New York wants Oilers to eat some salary.....that would make it even more difficult.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To me, my opinion..........the trade (Eberle for Hamonic) would have been made long ago but for the fact that Eberle makes $6 M which NYI cannot afford. If NYI lose Okopso then they might reconsider.........but if New York wants Oilers to eat some salary.....that would make it even more difficult.

I could see us retaining on Eberle on a Hamonic deal. Hamonic's cap hit is crazy low for what he brings. We would benefit in the end even if we retained 2 million on Eberle since Hamonic's deal is a season longer.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray

Not necessarily. Mid season they didn't want to open a huge hole on the blue line while they are pushing for a playoff run. In the summer you could do a hamonic for Eberle trade and then sign/trade for another Dman alot easier than mid season. I'm not saying it will happen but just because it didn't happen mid season doesn't mean it won't.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I could see this being the framework for a deal:

to EDM: Hamonic, Kulemin
to NYI: Eberle, Fayne

Kulemin has been linked to the Oilers in the past and has size on the wing which the Oilers crave, while Fayne provides a depth defenceman for the Islanders and moves back to the division he had success in with New Jersey. I suspect we would have to add more but the basis for a deal is there.

One piece I'd be intrigued in trying to acquire from the Islanders is Dal Colle. He's a big winger whose stock is pretty down for being drafted 5th overall two years ago but he put up great numbers in the OHL for Kingston after getting dealt from Oshawa where he was struggling. If the Islanders insist on a guy like Nurse being involved in the deal, Dal Colle is one name that interests me along with Anders Lee.

In an ideal world, I'd be fine moving out Eberle's $6M and then trying to bring in a defensively responsible winger like Eriksson via free agency to replace him.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Fayne and Kulemin both have 2 years left but Fayne's cap hit is ~500k left.

Kulemin's a decent player and he was a right shot I'd be fine with it but adding another expensive left shot would be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad