Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I expect both Vatenen and Hamonic this year at around $10mil combined. Sekera might be on his way out to NYI in return.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I expect both Vatenen and Hamonic this year at around $10mil combined. Sekera might be on his way out to NYI in return.

I could legitimately see Fayne and Yakupov for Hamonic and small add.

I know I will get roasted mentioning that anywhere....but if there are no other bidders to drive up the price than those are some cheap pieces that could work within the Isles budget.

Of course the blooper here is that Fayne was waived and all 30 teams deemed him entirely irrelevant.....so there's that.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Lets trade Yak + for a mid first rounder.

Initially I was thinking a guy like Logan Brown but he may be plucked around #10.

One defenceman who is not getting much attention is Logan Stanley. He thrives on playing physical with his size who can also contribute if needed.

Great project to develop in Bakersfield.
We would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder at this point for Yakupov. No team is giving up a mid-first round pick for Yakupov unless the other asset we give up in the deal is worth a lot more than Yakupov.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
We would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder at this point for Yakupov. No team is giving up a mid-first round pick for Yakupov unless the other asset we give up in the deal is worth a lot more than Yakupov.

I dunno. He's still a immensely talented, hard working player. There's gotta be some team out there that would take a former first overall pick who was poorly coached for more than just a second. Second round picks are worth hardly anything in the NHL.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

And yet the rumours say that he was going to the Ducks at the deadline with Pouliot before his injury. HF's opinion on player's value is rarely right. At this point some here would have us believe Eberle is a negative value cap dump and RNH isn't far off from there as well.

We'll see what Chia can do. I still think Yak's return will surprise many on HF.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Habs have many RD prospects :Pateryn,Ellis(AHL star game last year),Dietz(did well during last 10 MTL games),Juulsen,Lernout,Nygren(playing with SWEDEN at the world championship).....Nygren is amoung the 5 best defense in SHL.EDMONTON need rd and MTL have to many....Lernout i am not sure but all the others can play in NHL.....

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
And yet the rumours say that he was going to the Ducks at the deadline with Pouliot before his injury. HF's opinion on player's value is rarely right. At this point some here would have us believe Eberle is a negative value cap dump and RNH isn't far off from there as well.

We'll see what Chia can do. I still think Yak's return will surprise many on HF.
And Pouliot has far more value than Yakupov. Likewise, we have no clue what the expected return was.

If a team would give us a mid-first rounder for Yakupov, he would have been dealt at the deadline. I'm generally very optimistic when it comes to our players' value but I can't see how people think Yakupov is worth more than a 2nd at this point.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
And Pouliot has far more value than Yakupov. Likewise, we have no clue what the expected return was.

If a team would give us a mid-first rounder for Yakupov, he would have been dealt at the deadline. I'm generally very optimistic when it comes to our players' value but I can't see how people think Yakupov is worth more than a 2nd at this point.

I don't see why. I think Chia wants a warm body back instead of a pick. Even if Yak's value is a 2nd, lots of good players are traded for a 2nd. Chia is probably looking at trade options where he gets back another player whose value is a 2nd.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Pouliot was likely seen as more of the long term addition to the club and Perron a short-term rental for the playoff run, but when the rental puts up 20 points in the remaining 28 regular season games, you might want to extend him and toss your old plan to the side.

Pouliot would certainly be cheaper. The Oilers could easily carry some of his salary as well. Say $500K. Perron made $4.5M in real money this year (which is the issue in Anaheim). I would be surprised to see him sign for much less than $4.5-5M without first testing the market since this is his chance at a payday. That said, I'd might well prefer Pouliot to Perron. Both are very streaky scorers. But their production has not been all that different of late and I think Pouliot does more for you when he is not putting up points.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Chia is probably looking at trade options where he gets back another player whose value is a 2nd.
And thus Yakupov's value is exactly what I said it was, a 2nd rounder.

In an ideal world, I'd like to trade Yakupov for another change of scenery player like Lazar or Nichuskin.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't see why. I think Chia wants a warm body back instead of a pick. Even if Yak's value is a 2nd, lots of good players are traded for a 2nd. Chia is probably looking at trade options where he gets back another player whose value is a 2nd.

I think you could probably get two 2nds out of him. Brett Connolly fetched that and Yakupov is a much more talented player, although Connolly has more size and can contribute outside of the score sheet too, so it should even out somewhat. I could easily see Chia flipping Yak for a pair of picks and then flipping those picks for another player. In fact that's probably the most likely scenario.

Montreal have two 2nd rounders. They might wanna give Galchenyuk + Yak a go.

Maybe we use one of those 2nds as the compensation pick too so we get that out of the way.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I dunno. He's still a immensely talented, hard working player. There's gotta be some team out there that would take a former first overall pick who was poorly coached for more than just a second. Second round picks are worth hardly anything in the NHL.

Immensely talented? Like when he stickhandles into the corner or when his onetimers miss the net by 2 feet?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Then we should keep him; play him with McDavid for the year; make him look like the 2nd coming of Mike Bossy; and trade him next year.

I am sick of the buy high, sell low mentality.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Would love to see OTT get a coach like him. I think they have the players that fit his systems really well. But there's no way cheap-ass Melnyk pays that much for a coach. It would also take him away from the West, and more specifically Calgary. Hope Calgary doesn't get him.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Then we should keep him; play him with McDavid for the year; make him look like the 2nd coming of Mike Bossy; and trade him next year.

I feel the same way. If Yak wants out, he's gonna have to play him-self out in a good way. Raise his game, score more points, and raise his value. There's just way too much potential in us getting burned if we trade him for a 2nd. It's not even worth it -- unless Chia's scouts (and not the idiots that wanted Reinhart) see a guy they really want who's available with that pick in the 2nd round. I trust Chia; I don't trust the old-guard still engorged on the Katz nipple, sucking for all they are worth, literally and figuratively.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta

I'd be okay with that.

At the same time, I feel like it might be time to move on from Yakupov and I'd be scouring the NHL to see if any other teams have young, top-end talent players they're ready to move on from as well. If a match exists, I think that's a better option than moving on to round 5 with Yakupov. Some guys who might be good fits (some of whom would require more added on either side):

Alexander Khokhlachev
Valeri Nichuskin
Marko Dano
Kerby Rychel
Scott Laughton
Curtis Lazar
Teemu Pulkkinen
Phillip Danault
Michael McCarron
Ryan Strome
Matt Puempel
Mark McNeill
Brendan Gaunce
Joel Armia

Again, some of those guys would cost more than Yakupov and some would cost a lot less. From that list, I'd be at least making some phone calls on Lazar, Nichuskin, Laughton, and Rychel. All four of those guys would add a little more grit/size to the lineup and could be better fits long-term than Yakupov.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I am sick of the losing games mentality. We are loaded with player value. Make player moves meant to win games, not boost trade value.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Would love to see OTT get a coach like him. I think they have the players that fit his systems really well. But there's no way cheap-ass Melnyk pays that much for a coach. It would also take him away from the West, and more specifically Calgary. Hope Calgary doesn't get him.
He won't as Calgary isn't even starting their coach search until Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad