Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The Islanders went out pretty limp. Would be disheartening to be see if I was a fan of the team. Got worked by an undermanned albeit experienced TB squad. Still didn't think it was that big a mismatch. Wonder what they do now (the Islanders). Hamonic will be a huge loss for them.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Has anyone heard recently if Hamonic is still trying to leave the Islanders? Not trying to play devil's advocate, just wondering if there's been any talk since the initial trade request reaching the public.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
4th overall for Hamonic seems fair
We gifted them a couple of high picks for a plug (Reinhart) so they should return the favor

Pinnerdink

Sep 19, 2007
Edmonton
4th overall for Hamonic seems fair
We gifted them a couple of high picks for a plug (Reinhart) so they should return the favor

It's probably a 'fair' deal (both sides probably don't like it...which usually means its close to fair) but with the expansion draft upcoming...I hate the idea.

Its one thing to really keep in mind..the 4th overall is, at minimum, a high end prospect that allows your team to control one more good player next summer.

Its regurgitated to death but the trade should absolutely be around Eberle <-> Hamonic.

Islanders are badly needing a goal scoring RW (First and second line). Eberle has a higher goal/game than anyone on that roster other than Tavares.

Maybe there needs to be some tweaking on either end, but it makes too much sense.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Watching Dumba in this WHC and I've got myself thinking that I have never seen a game where he has impressed me. Looks like a 3rd pairing guy with questionable IQ offensively and defensively, and he's undersized... And despite being lauded for his shot, it doesn't actually seem all that effective.

No way would this guy be a primary target for me.

Yeah for me he is only a 3rd pairing project d-man who can help on the PP, I've said before when discussing Dumba the name going back shouldn't be RNH it should be Yakupov as those two are the far closer matching. Good upside there, but they are both lacking in hockey smarts and generally wingers more so than defense are able to get by with questionable hockey sense. One think I will say though is while Dumba hasn't really uncorked his shot at the worlds, possibly because he doesn't want to beam Hall in front of the net, his shot really is very good. Dumba actually has the 4th highest goals per 60 mins played on the powerplay over the last 3 years (among d-men), his PP time sample isn't as large as you'd like, he's only got like 30 more PP mins played than Gostibehere in his single season.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=0&type=individual&sort=igoals60&sortdir=DESC

It's also funny how close Yannick Weber is to matching Dumba's numbers

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That is an overpayment, imo

It is indeed. Hamonic is a 2/3 on a good team who doesn't bring anything overly dynamic to the game. He'd be a valuable player to have here and would be our top pairing RHD. But his level of play is closer to that of Andrej Sekera than it is of a true legitimate top pairing d-man. He can be a good to great player on a good team, but he's not some massive game changer who will put a team on his back.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It's probably a 'fair' deal (both sides probably don't like it...which usually means its close to fair) but with the expansion draft upcoming...I hate the idea.

Its one thing to really keep in mind..the 4th overall is, at minimum, a high end prospect that allows your team to control one more good player next summer.

Its regurgitated to death but the trade should absolutely be around Eberle <-> Hamonic.

Islanders are badly needing a goal scoring RW (First and second line). Eberle has a higher goal/game than anyone on that roster other than Tavares.

Maybe there needs to be some tweaking on either end, but it makes too much sense.

I'd do Eberle for Hamonic ten times out of ten and would rush to the main boards to see the meltdown from the Islanders fans

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If we were to ask for a favor from the Isles, they'd take Eberle with no retention for Hamonic. 4th for Hamonic isn't 'fair' in my books.

I think it's a relatively fair deal. Hamonic is a good top pairing defenseman and the #4 is going to be a pretty good prospect but somewhat of a risk compared to the top 3 picks in the draft

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Eberle for Hamonic straight up is just a hockey trade, IMO.

There is no valuation of the players. Both teams just need to move on for various reasons. If you want to get into valuating what a player should get then you have to start shopping the player to other teams.

I wouldn't know what the valuation is for either among the GM's but you have to think if Hamonic was so valuable he would have moved already, no? I mean....we sort of know that there are a few teams who don't consider Hamonic an immediate upgrade on their top 4 defense since he hasn't moved, right?.

Pinnerdink

Sep 19, 2007
Edmonton
I'd do Eberle for Hamonic ten times out of ten and would rush to the main boards to see the meltdown from the Islanders fans

I still don't get why the meltdown? Eberle is a top 10 goals/game RW in the league...Hamonic is a good 2/3 D that asked for a trade...

If they lose Okposo (likely) and Hamonic still wants a trade (possibly)...how would this trade be bad for them?

If anything it leaves Edmonton with a big hole on the RW (but at least fills one of the RD we desperately need)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I agree. I don't envy Islander fans. Hamonic will be gone, Okposo and Martin likely gone. I won't be surprised if Tavares leaves too. I think Garth Snow's team has peaked.

Is Martin an UFA? If so I'd have all kinds of interest in him.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
It is indeed. Hamonic is a 2/3 on a good team who doesn't bring anything overly dynamic to the game. He'd be a valuable player to have here and would be our top pairing RHD. But his level of play is closer to that of Andrej Sekera than it is of a true legitimate top pairing d-man. He can be a good to great player on a good team, but he's not some massive game changer who will put a team on his back.

Hamonic and Sekera are both top 60 defenders in the league. Both top pair.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's been said a million times but if we add Hamonic and Vatanen that would completely change the dynamic of our club.

Eberle or Eberle + for Hamonic

Yak + Pouliot for Vatanen as the basis for a deal

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Hamonic and Sekera are both top 60 defenders in the league. Both top pair.

I've never ascribed to this definition of "top pair"

I'd say look at the top 20 to find the top pairing defencemen in the league. Just because you play with a top pairing guy doesn't make you a top pairing guy. Nor does playing top minutes.

Maybe I am referring to "franchise defenceman" but that is what I think of for a top pair D.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
On the main trade board we almost had an agreeable Eberle based deal for Hamonic (I say almost because only a few commented on it), but it was -

To NYI: Eberle, 32nd OA

To EDM: Hamonic, Halak (cap dump)

I'd pull the trigger. Halak is the type of cap dump that could serve a purpose. I certainly didn't feel confident in Brossoit becoming a full time back up. It does hinder what we can do in free agency a bit, but Halak is off the books in 2 years, possibly sooner if he plays well enough and a team needs a goalie mid season.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still don't get why the meltdown? Eberle is a top 10 goals/game RW in the league...Hamonic is a good 2/3 D that asked for a trade...

If they lose Okposo (likely) and Hamonic still wants a trade (possibly)...how would this trade be bad for them?

If anything it leaves Edmonton with a big hole on the RW (but at least fills one of the RD we desperately need)

Because the idea of letting Okposo walk over a money discrepancy only to turn around and deal Hamonic for Eberle at $6m wouldn't sit well with Islander fans. Unfortunately for them that still may be the way the cards fall at the draft.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

I wouldn't get your hopes up. He will play for one of the NY teams and that's about it. His girlfriend is Boomer Esiason's daughter and she would have zero interest leaving there, especially for Edmonton. Boomer is a huge Rangers fan, could see him landing there if the Isles don't want to pay.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

A right handed, more physical Sekera, agreed. I've been paying him close attention this series and by and large he looks overwhelmed, just like the rest of his teammates.

He is just not as good as Islander fans are trying to play up. They just don't want to lose a top four RHD and want some poor sucker to pay out the nose for him. The bottom line is he wants out. Sucks when that happens, but that's life. He's the one with the trade demand, not our player.

Dreams of Hall or RNH as a return are just that - dreams. I'd be pissed if we gave up either one, regardless of the lesser pieces tacked on.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
On the main trade board we almost had an agreeable Eberle based deal for Hamonic (I say almost because only a few commented on it), but it was -

To NYI: Eberle, 32nd OA

To EDM: Hamonic, Halak (cap dump)

I'd pull the trigger. Halak is the type of cap dump that could serve a purpose. I certainly didn't feel confident in Brossoit becoming a full time back up. It does hinder what we can do in free agency a bit, but Halak is off the books in 2 years, possibly sooner if he plays well enough and a team needs a goalie mid season.

I wouldn't take Halak at full price. It's bad optics to have your backup making more than your starter, and I'm not comfortable with overpaying in assets and adding cap coming back. I would do one or the other, not both, which is what I think this is.

They'd need to retain 50% on Halak, IMO, for this to be palatable.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton

I like his game and would fit with PC building plan. If we got him Hendricks would have to be on his way out. I think Martin could handle 3rd line but would prefer 4th line but could move up when injuries happen.

Hall - RNH - Brower
Maroon - McDavid - Shaw
Pouliot - Draisaitl - Kassian
Martin - Letestu - Pakarinen

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Why would Okposo even sign for 6m? He's had 79 51 64 point seasons and would have had another 60+ season had he not been hurt the last year. If Vanek and Stastny both got 7m then he should easily, has some size and is a RW.

Eberle is locked in at 6m and is younger.

As for cap dumps. I'd take Kulemin on at full price after thinking about it. I'd take Halak if they took Fayne. Halak might be flippable and he'd be fine as a split guy or backup for Talbot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad