Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I wouldn't take Halak at full price. It's bad optics to have your backup making more than your starter, and I'm not comfortable with overpaying in assets and adding cap coming back. I would do one or the other, not both, which is what I think this is.

They'd need to retain 50% on Halak, IMO, for this to be palatable.

How is it "bad optics" that Halak would make slightly more than Talbot? It's not the Oilers who gave him the contract. Talbot would still be the starter (unless he gets outplayed, which would then likely mean Halak is playing lights out).

As for overpaying, if Eberle is the main piece in a package for a legit top pair defender (on a beauty contract no less), I don't care what the adds are, you aren't overpaying.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Matt Martin is the ultimate player to avoid imo. He's strictly a 4th line player and going to get a big pay day. I pity the team that ends up paying him 2.5-3 million dollars per year for 4 or 5 years.

A team like the Oilers absolutely cannot afford to give 4th line players the type of premium dollars Matt Martin is going to get this summer.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I still don't get why the meltdown? Eberle is a top 10 goals/game RW in the league...Hamonic is a good 2/3 D that asked for a trade...

If they lose Okposo (likely) and Hamonic still wants a trade (possibly)...how would this trade be bad for them?

If anything it leaves Edmonton with a big hole on the RW (but at least fills one of the RD we desperately need)

It's not a bad trade for the Islanders
Their fans on the main boards just think that Eberle is trash

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Friedman explained it very well.

Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck as a line works very well.

Otherwise, a guy who can only hit doesn't fare well.

Martin is close to that kind of player. NYI would be wise to hold onto him and other teams would be wise not to pay him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Pouliot I want to keep around.

He's expendable if we can fix the D.

As others have hinted, my ideal scenario is Eberle for Hamonic, and Yak + Pouliot for Vatanen. Focus on Free agency.

Our D is set, we will just need to add more forward to create competition at camp.

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
RNH
Maroon
Letestu
Hendricks
Lander
Kassian
PacMan
Caggiula
Dubois/Tkachuk
Slepyslev
Khaira
Yakimov

We certainly need more vets in there!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ducks won't take salary for Vatanen that's the main reason they have to let him go.

It'd have to be something like EDM 1st 2017 (top 5 protected) + Reinhart or something.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He's expendable if we can fix the D.

As others have hinted, my ideal scenario is Eberle for Hamonic, and Yak + Pouliot for Vatanen. Focus on Free agency.

Our D is set, we will just need to add more forward to create competition at camp.

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
RNH
Maroon
Letestu
Hendricks
Lander
Kassian
PacMan
Caggiula
Dubois/Tkachuk
Slepyslev
Khaira
Yakimov

We certainly need more vets in there!

Still very weak on bottom 6 depth, and winger depth is now awful too (although Caggiula and Dubois help a lot).

Not sure I'd be willing to get rid of all three of Eberle, Yakupov, and Pouliot with no forwards coming back our way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To MIN: Eberle
To NYI: Brodin, Yakupov
To EDM: Hamonic, Strome

To ANA: EDM 1st (Top 5 protected) 2017 + Griffin Reinhart
To EDM: Sami Vatanen

Draft: Pierre Luc Dubois

Maroon McDavid Strome
Hall Draisaitl Kassian
Pouliot RNH Dubois
Hendricks Letestu Caggiula

Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Vatanen
Davidson Nurse
Fayne

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Still very weak on bottom 6 depth, and winger depth is now awful too (although Caggiula and Dubois help a lot).

Not sure I'd be willing to get rid of all three of Eberle, Yakupov, and Pouliot with no forwards coming back our way.

I'm confident we would make some signing to address the issue. But, every team has areas of weakness. I would prefer it to be on the wing. Easiest thing to draft, trade for and sign.

In fact if we land Hamonic and Vatanen without losing any D, I would be open for moving reinhart for a solid 3rd liner.

The Perfect Human*

Maroon McDavid Strome
Hall Draisaitl Kassian
Pouliot RNH Dubois

Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Vatanen
Davidson Nurse
Fayne

Ew gross. Add another 2 young unproven players to the fwds? Done nothing to upgrade the top 6 fwds with at least 2 good veteran know-how-to-win type presence? Even the two new "upgrades" on D will struggle with the gong show at fwd. We should have been acquiring true good third liner at center like a Matt Cullen not Lestestu, Gordon etc. Kassian and Maroon locked in at top 6? Risky. Be prepared for another bottom 5 finish, bottom 10 at least if this is anything like the line up we will see in the new season. No where near playoffs.

Need to move more players out. Hall, maybe Nuge or Drai (less so Drai), Poo. Obtain that good top 6 vet presence or two and maybe another top 4 Dman.
Wheels will keep spinning unless major major changes. Too many guys still in your lineup that knows nothing about how to win in important roles: Hall, Nuge. Obviously willing to keep McD to learn how to win but he needs smart vet fwds around him, not a doofus like Hall.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Maroon McDavid Strome
Hall Draisaitl Kassian
Pouliot RNH Dubois

Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Vatanen
Davidson Nurse
Fayne

And then we lose 2 good players via the expansion draft... (protect 8 skaters)

It's going to be tricky but Chia needs to ship out our roster forwards for D, not futures in order to minimize our losses during the expansion draft.

Edit: I just remembered McDavid + Nurse are exempt. We should be good :D

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I said it before but I'm going to make it clear.

Davidson and Nurse CANNOT be paired together.

They are awful together. They do not compliment each other's styles.

They also both shoot left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad