GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well he’s an RFA, and I don’t think he has leverage for a hold out.

He’s an interesting case. He’s not big or small, but is strong. A smooth skater, but not a burner. Has some nice offensive skills (passing, puck handling, shooting), but a limited toolbox. He’s steady defensively but prone to a gaffe.

He’s also a RHD.. not as easily replaceable as Warden suggests. If he were a sure thing he’d justifiably be getting a big deal.

I wouldn’t go for Sandin type of money. But a multi year deal will cost you UFA years.

I personally believe d-men continually mature and refine their game as time extends. At 25, I like Liljegren’s skillset that if he continues to do so, he can be a valuable top 4 guy. We have seen him do well in stretches where he played a bigger role.

I would look for something in the 3 x $3 range myself.

Yeah that's a fair assessment to me. I think some are a little disappointed he hasn't developed into a top pair Kaberle-esque defenseman and he's not a big hitter meathead, therefore ship him out. I don't see why the Leafs can't keep him around a little longer, especially if you can get him around 2y or 3y x 3M. That's pretty good value for a team that needs more reliable RHD defensemen.

When Rielly was out he showed how good he can be and that's why depth is important.

Reactions: Kiwi and aingefan

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Domi and Bertuzzi have the same expression at beginning of shift and at end of shift. They're the types of players who will still have full tank by round 4. If it's possible to re-sign both somehow we need to look into it.
I just came on here to ask the same question. If we get rid of Bertuzzi, we end up looking for the same player again. And I've heard too many people imply that's it's easy to find them. It's not. We've tried tons of guys in the top 6 that didn't bring what we're looking for.

Question for cap experts. Say, we continue to do well in the playoffs. Also, say we dropped Samsonov, Brodie, Giordano, Jarnkrock, Gregor, Timmins, and possibly Lily. Can we afford to resign:

Domi
Bertuzzi
Edmunson
Boosh

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah that's a fair assessment to me. I think some are a little disappointed he hasn't developed into a top pair Kaberle-esque defenseman and he's not a big hitter meathead, therefore ship him out. I don't see why the Leafs can't keep him around a little longer, especially if you can get him around 2y or 3y x 3M. That's pretty good value for a team that needs more reliable RHD defensemen.

When Rielly was out he showed how good he can be and that's why depth is important.

Also with McCabe and Benoit signed already, there are some bigger physical bodies in the lineup.

Reactions: Kiwi and SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I just came on here to ask the same question. If we get rid of Bertuzzi, we end up looking for the same player again. And I've heard too many people imply that's it's easy to find them. It's not. We've tried tons of guys in the top 6 that didn't bring what we're looking for.

Question for cap experts. Say, we continue to do well in the playoffs. Also, say we dropped Samsonov, Brodie, Giordano, Jarnkrock, Gregor, Timmins, and possibly Lily. Can we afford to resign:

Domi
Bertuzzi
Edmunson
Boosh

It's hard to say. It would depend entirely on what they are asking for. Also, if you're trading Jarnkrok and Timmins (the rest are all UFA/RFA), you also need to replace them and they are only 3.2M combined of cap space... which is not much. But we'd now have 22M of cap space to sign 6-8 players.

Bertuzzi is probably asking around what he's making now 5.5M, maybe less with term. Domi is probably a 4M player. Edmundson I'd say will be asking for minimum 3M on his next deal. Lyubushkin seems in line to get around what he's making now as well, but hopefully we can get him back to a much cheaper deal.

So that's a total of about 15M. That leaves the Leafs with about 7M to sign a goaltender, they still haven't signed a RHD upgrade either, and they still need to fill the roster to a minimum of 20 players (preferably 22 players).

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I’ll keep beating this drum: Domi and Bertuzzi are priority re-signs. This business time of year is where they’re worth their weight in gold.

Fearless competitors who thrive in chaos, such environment isn’t for everybody. That’s extremely valuable. Should be able to retain both for 9m or so, no brainer.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Getting rid of Jarnkrok and Kampf gives you 4.5 million, if you can trade them for picks and re-sign Domi and have Holmberg as a Kampf replacement that’s a win-win IMO for similar dollars.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
It's hard to say. It would depend entirely on what they are asking for. Also, if you're trading Jarnkrok and Timmins (the rest are all UFA/RFA), you also need to replace them and they are only 3.2M combined of cap space... which is not much. But we'd now have 22M of cap space to sign 6-8 players.

Bertuzzi is probably asking around what he's making now 5.5M, maybe less with term. Domi is probably a 4M player. Edmundson I'd say will be asking for minimum 3M on his next deal. Lyubushkin seems in line to get around what he's making now as well, but hopefully we can get him back to a much cheaper deal.

So that's a total of about 15M. That leaves the Leafs with about 7M to sign a goaltender, they still haven't signed a RHD upgrade either, and they still need to fill the roster to a minimum of 20 players (preferably 22 players).
Thanks. That made things clearer.

Getting rid of Jarnkrok and Kampf gives you 4.5 million, if you can trade them for picks and re-sign Domi and have Holmberg as a Kampf replacement that’s a win-win IMO for similar dollars.
I hear you, but I'm loving Kampf's defensive game in this series. Sacrifices will have to be made though.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I’ll keep beating this drum: Domi and Bertuzzi are priority re-signs. This business time of year is where they’re worth their weight in gold.

Fearless competitors who thrive in chaos, such environment isn’t for everybody. That’s extremely valuable. Should be able to retain both for 9m or so, no brainer.
100%.

I'd also try to re-sign Edmundson - he's been solid in the playoffs so far, IMO, and plays the kinda style we always seem to be missing on the back end.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Domi and Bertuzzi have the same expression at beginning of shift and at end of shift. They're the types of players who will still have full tank by round 4. If it's possible to re-sign both somehow we need to look into it.

They’ve both been excellent outside of the first 2 games in Toronto, but no one was good in those.

Would love him as a #6/7

I like the player, but for a longer term beyond this playoff run, his injury history would be a little concerning to me. That said, I would generally rather sign guys we gave up assets for than not but in this case it’d have to be light on cap & term which I don’t believe is what he’ll be expecting

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Eddy’s been fine the past couple games, not so hot the first few.
There’s gonna be some tough calls with the available cap space, in his case specifically since there’s already three LD under contract for next year and a couple Marlies who are fine 6/7 and injury call up options.

Same with Bert at LW.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
100%.

I'd also try to re-sign Edmundson - he's been solid in the playoffs so far, IMO, and plays the kinda style we always seem to be missing on the back end.

Edmundson - Liljegren pairing has been pretty good. Problem is that Edmundson is going to demand at least around what he's making now. He's only 30 years old. It's gonna be hard to keep him at that price but maybe he pushes Benoit into a 7 role and that makes for very good LHD depth.

Reactions: Sypher04

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I’d keep Edmundson on a one year, maybe two max on a lower AAV given his back issues. I think he’s aiming for term though, so it will be a challenge.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Having Greb, Cowan, Minten all pushing for spots next camp is going to be really good for us. Robertson as well has had a good year and I think can offer a lot more too. Knies is taking the next step before our eyes imo. Additionally, I think Holmberg is likely capable of replacing Kampf, potentially allowing us to reallocate his 2.4M to a better 3C

The youth up front is really creating options for us behind the core 4, Domi and Bert. It’s unfortunate we really don’t have much on the defensive side at all

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It depends on what we do for Marner, but if we extend him. We will have Nylander, Knies, Marner. All taking up what should be top 6 winger roles. Then we also have someone like McMann signed. Cowan, Greb pushing for a spot. While wanting to bring back Domi and/or Bertuzzi.

I'm personally a fan of Lily but I think Brad may go a different route. I'd be curious to see what Robertson + Lily could get us in a package.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It depends on what we do for Marner, but if we extend him. We will have Nylander, Knies, Marner. All taking up what should be top 6 winger roles. Then we also have someone like McMann signed. Cowan, Greb pushing for a spot. While wanting to bring back Domi and/or Bertuzzi.

I'm personally a fan of Lily but I think Brad may go a different route. I'd be curious to see what Robertson + Lily could get us in a package.

We've had pretty good luck turning around ANA dmen. Maybe we send those two to to ANA for a 50% retained Fowler. There's our PMD and PP QB.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Oh yeah, forgot about McMann

So McMann, Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten and Greb all pushing for spots or bigger roles.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Bertuzzi was rumored to be looking for north of 7m on a long term deal. He took a 1 year deal with a pay cut to raise his stock in Toronto. He's not going to be re-signed unless a Marner trade quickly comes together (with no cap coming back). Super unlikely.

Domi however, you just know this is where he wants to be.. He might be the first to finally take a pay cut to stay here. Especially if term is given. For his production even 5 would be a solid deal, but hoping for 4.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Having Greb, Cowan, Minten all pushing for spots next camp is going to be really good for us. Robertson as well has had a good year and I think can offer a lot more too. Knies is taking the next step before our eyes imo. Additionally, I think Holmberg is likely capable of replacing Kampf, potentially allowing us to reallocate his 2.4M to a better 3C

The youth up front is really creating options for us behind the core 4, Domi and Bert. It’s unfortunate we really don’t have much on the defensive side at all

Matthews/Marner
Domi/Nylander
Tavares/Jarnkrok
Dewar/Kampf/Reaves

Fill in the blanks: Knies, McMann, Robertson, Holmberg, Minten, Grebs, Cowan.. They can even afford to trade Marner and still ice a good forward group. They have another year of Woll @ 700k, likely with Murray as a backup and Hildeby insurance.

Tre is going all in on defense in the off season.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If you do decide to keep Marner, I think you have to try doing everything you can to make Nylander a C this offseason. Someone with more knowledge can tell me if this could work but the framework of something like this:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Cowan/McMann - Nylander - Marner
McMann/Cowan - Tavares - FA/Trade/System
Dewar - Holmberg - Reaves

Trade Kampf, Jankrok.

Reactions: notdoneyet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bertuzzi was rumored to be looking for north of 7m on a long term deal. He took a 1 year deal with a pay cut to raise his stock in Toronto. He's not going to be re-signed unless a Marner trade quickly comes together (with no cap coming back). Super unlikely.

Domi however, you just know this is where he wants to be.. He might be the first to finally take a pay cut to stay here. Especially if term is given. For his production even 5 would be a solid deal, but hoping for 4.

Yeah but he had a fairly average season. If he can get north of 7M long-term with the regular season he had, I say good luck to Bertuzzi and see ya later.

I would look at the Nino Niederreter deal for Bertuzzi. Similar production and player. 4M a season.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
IMO Bertuzzi is not worth keeping, especially if he wants more and for term. He's 3.5 per max player to me. I'd much rather Jankrok at his cap hit

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
IMO Bertuzzi is not worth keeping, especially if he wants more and for term. He's 3.5 per max player to me. I'd much rather Jankrok at his cap hit
Jarnkrok is completely useless come playoffs, it’s been like that his entire career. He’s a fine player, hustles a ton out there and is good for 30 points in the regular season but always seems like a non factor come playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad