Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread II | I Dealt The Word 'Trade' For A Thread Count. Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Nill seems to be quite overrated. He really hasn't done a heck of a lot in Dallas outside of getting lucky with Seguin. With that being said I agree we should've had a process and I don't think we did.

Spezza too, also drafted klingberg and got sharp. I'd say he's done a pretty admirable job. And the stars are a very good team because of it minus goaltending

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
He is the dumbest man in hockey.

tambellini-steve-940-8col.jpg

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nill seems to be quite overrated. He really hasn't done a heck of a lot in Dallas outside of getting lucky with Seguin. With that being said I agree we should've had a process and I don't think we did.

Ya, and not to mention that that team might be dismantled within a season. Their UFA's by the end of next year are: Sharp, Benn, Hemsky, Eaves, Fiddler, Sceviour, Moen, Oduya, Goligoski, Demers, Russell, and Benn. Obviously they won't lose everyone, but Benn's going to be asking for at least double his current salary, and all of their dmen will want significant raises to stay. Nill now needs to prove he can manage the cap

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What contracts that Tambo signed were are bad as the Nikitin, Ference and Fayne ones? Tambo also didn't bring a dud like Eakins in to really run the team off the rails.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
MacT is clearly a better 'hockey mind' than Howson IMO. He might have a case over Jim Benning too.

Not a very impressive couple of guys he surpasses, mind.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Spezza too, also drafted klingberg and got sharp. I'd say he's done a pretty admirable job. And the stars are a very good team because of it minus goaltending

Klingberg was drafted in 2010, Nill hired 2013. Nill was their for pick of Nichuskin tho, which appears as a mispick

Was also the GM for Gurianov who has 5 points in the KHL and seems like worst pick of 1st round

Nill is a solid GM yes, but he was the receipt of 2 good players from teams in two different binds. Boston has Neely basically demanding Seguin traded and Chicago had cap issues. He also inherited Jamie Benn, who himself is a top 5 NHL player

Nill is a lot like Lowe in 2005/06 who was recipient of some good players from unlucky teams (Pronger).

I mean beyond those trades Nill has failed to build up the D, failed to get goaltending

Oct 15, 2008
What contracts that Tambo signed were are bad as the Nikitin, Ference and Fayne ones? Tambo also didn't bring a dud like Eakins in to really run the team off the rails.

The team was supposed to be bad under Tambo. Mission accomplished. The team was supposed to win under the dumbest man in hockey. He spent to the cap and oversaw the worst team in the league. Moral of the story is it is impossible to be as bad as Crapt, even when trying.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

MacT sucks too, don't get me wrong. Nikitin was unbearably bad and I remember being so mad that day. HF was mad at me for being mad :laugh:

There was some positives with MacT though. I like Pouliot even at 4, Hendricks was a fantastic acquisition. Pakarinen and Oesterle have some potential still. Draft record also was a bit better than Tambo (who allowed for Moroz, Musil early picks). Even though I didn't love the Smid deal, Brossoit could still be a backup at the NHL level.

Tambellini got us the draft pick that became Klefbom but otherwise was part of a terrible draft record and couldn't acquire anybody with longevity. Only made depth moves during the rebuild that all failed. Eric Belanger?

His ineptitude during the rebuild years are the reason why we don't have any depth to plug in today.

Tambellini traded Tobias Rieder away too. Dumb.

Also, in the one season where we actually had a chance at success, he goes into the deadline and acquires Jerred Smithson? That was the ammo to add to the charge? :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
MacT is clearly a better 'hockey mind' than Howson IMO. He might have a case over Jim Benning too.

Howson did far more good for Columbus than MacT ever did here as a GM.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Ference is basically just the new Khabibulin; I'd call that a draw. Belanger would be worse than Nikitin if not for the charity buyout. Still don't see what's wrong with Fayne.

Also curious that people still think Tambo was trying to lose... while simultaneously spending to the cap.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
What contracts that Tambo signed were are bad as the Nikitin, Ference and Fayne ones?

Khabibulin and Cam Barker come to mind.

Tambo also didn't bring a dud like Eakins in to really run the team off the rails.

He brought in Pat Quinn.

But his real issue was trades. I don't think he won a single deal. Trade Brodiziak for nothing, Cogliano for nothing, traded Lubo for one-legged Whitney, Tom Gilbert for Nick Shultz...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
MacT sucks too, don't get me wrong. Nikitin was unbearably bad and I remember being so mad that day. HF was mad at me for being mad :laugh:

There was some positives with MacT though. I like Pouliot even at 4, Hendricks was a fantastic acquisition. Pakarinen and Oesterle have some potential still. Draft record also was a bit better than Tambo. Even though I didn't love the Smid deal, Brossoit could still be a backup at the NHL level.

Tambellini got us the draft pick that became Klefbom but otherwise was part of a terrible draft record and couldn't acquire anybody with longevity. Only made depth moves during the rebuild that all failed. Eric Belanger?

His ineptitude during the rebuild years are the reason why we don't have any depth to plug in today.

Also, in the one season where we actually had a chance at success, he goes into the deadline and acquires Jerred Smithson? That was the ammo to add to the charge? :laugh:

The draft part is what makes Tambo look so bad. We had 3 2nd rounders in '10 and 1 in a fringe NHLer. MacT went all in on the likes of Ference, Fayne and Nikitin and then basically left Petry feeling like he was chopped liver and unwanted. Petry may not be great but he's worlds better than those duds and has beens. I guess it was more important to pay Gagner than Petry. Both sucked but IMO MacT did more damage to the team. If he's back next season it will be a bad thing IMO.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
My god some of these arguments against MacT make me cringe. He is a bad GM, 100% hands down. He made bad moves. But the idea every idea he has is toxic is beyond ridicilous. I was not in the room with him so I am only speculating. But maybe, just maybe Tambo was exercising a tremendous amount of power in player decisions? Maybe MacT had 6 tremendous deals on the table and 1 bad move and Lowe gave green light for the 1 bad move? This is not far-fetched, and by the fact MacT has been kept somewhat close to Chiarelli and Nicholson gives some merit to this idea

MacT also made moves widely supported by Oil fans at the time. But revisionist history is a B**** I guess

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Why does anyone think Jim Nill would have been available for the Oilers?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I asked the Bruins board about Colin Miller. They didn't want to deal him.

They proposed Hayes for Yakupov and then tried to give us Seidenberg.

Feel like Sweeney might have the same reaction.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ference is basically just the new Khabibulin; I'd call that a draw. Belanger would be worse than Nikitin if not for the charity buyout. Still don't see what's wrong with Fayne.

Also curious that people still think Tambo was trying to lose... while simultaneously spending to the cap.

Belanger didn't have a $4.5 million price tag attached last that I checked.

What's wrong with Fayne? MacT saw him as an upgrade on Petry, that's what's wrong. He literally paid duds to take the place of a decent defenseman.

Tambo's initial plan wasn't to tank, but after it all went downhill that was quite clearly the plan.

Khabibulin and Cam Barker come to mind.

He brought in Pat Quinn.

But his real issue was trades. I don't think he won a single deal. Trade Brodiziak for nothing, Cogliano for nothing, traded Lubo for one-legged Whitney, Tom Gilbert for Nick Shultz...

Barker was a 1 year deal, big deal. Whitney was dynamite when he first got here then injuries set in and he was done like dinner.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Howson reached and took Johansen instead of Gormley, Connolly, etc. He also found a bunch of late round gems like Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, and Prout. Plus, he somehow won the Nash trade, which everyone (including myself), thought he was a moron for doing. I'd take Howson over MacT easily

Oct 15, 2008
My god some of these arguments against MacT make me cringe. He is a bad GM, 100% hands down. He made bad moves. But the idea every idea he has is toxic is beyond ridicilous. I was not in the room with him so I am only speculating. But maybe, just maybe Tambo was exercising a tremendous amount of power in player decisions? Maybe MacT had 6 tremendous deals on the table and 1 bad move and Lowe gave green light for the 1 bad move? This is not far-fetched, and by the fact MacT has been kept somewhat close to Chiarelli and Nicholson gives some merit to this idea

MacT also made moves widely supported by Oil fans at the time. But revisionist history is a B**** I guess

When the truth is too hard to acknowledge, just make **** up. It just feels good.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Why does anyone think Jim Nill would have been available for the Oilers?

He was an Alberta guy working in a respected management position (assisting Holland in Detroit) who was waiting on one of the 30 GM chairs to be offered to him. He was hired by Dallas in the same month that MacT was named GM so is remains reasonable to suggest that the Oilers could have offered the position to Nill if they chose to look outside the OBC.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He is being evaluated by Chia this season, Chia needs to see if he's worth bringing back or not. If he does return I will have lost some respect for Chia TBH.

Lowe overruling great trades by MacT really sounds like wishful thinking on your part. It's always Lowe's fault and never MacT's according to MacT fans. That's rich.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

He took a bad team and made it worse. Nothing else matters.

Also, he handcuffed Chia last offseason due to the anchor contracts he had on the books and depreciated assets due to the poison of the Eakins era, a man he continued to stand by despite the overwhelming evidence pointing to him being a toxic coach for this team.
Not to mention all the fan soul crushing press conferences and false promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad