Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread II | I Dealt The Word 'Trade' For A Thread Count. Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Going not in the right direction especially considering what we recently gave up for one of the players but would anyone here be opposed to the following:

To BUF: Eberle + Reinhart
To EDM: 8th overall

Free up salary , roster spot and add Tkachuk + Sergachev (ahem ahem RaabHart)

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Going not in the right direction especially considering what we recently gave up for one of the players but would anyone here be opposed to the following:

No way do I do that ever.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

That just may be the worst trade proposal I've ever seen on HF.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I don't think I'd do that for just Eberle to be honest. We need to be the ones giving up picks for NHL talent, not the reverse. Say what you will about Eberle, he's a high end goal scorer on a team that can't score goals. He shouldn't be moved unless it makes us better somewhere else, immediately.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

why would we want to get even younger? Is it just for the cap savings?

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
I'll share a few things about myself....
Attended games of the Oilers since 1980. Witnessed the red light on the Steve Smith goal in person. Went to the '87 Flyers series when they won. Remember where I was, and exactly what I was doing, when Gretzky got traded. Partied on Jasper ave and made it on CTV in 1990 after they beat Boston. Took my wife to her first NHL game- game 3 vs Stars 1997- yes we almost left. Tons of playoff games in between. And I've been with the rest of you gents since Pronger left.

My personal take on Lowe and MacT?
They were good when the NHL playing field got levelled. I really believe that. But that was short lived- like one year. Once Pronger bailed and the NTC loophole started to negate the salary cap's advantages for places like Edm, the shrewdness just wasn't there.
After purchase, Katz should have thrown a ton of money at a respected GM from a respected organization to come in and ad credibility. Especially after the bullying Lowe and the organization took for the offer sheets. But Katz thought otherwise. You can take it from there.:laugh:

Back on the rails.....

Quite simply, if I'm the Oil I'm having every conversation imaginable and everyone not named McDavid are on the table.

One mission: BOLD move- One Top 10 NHL Dman.
After watching Pronger turn Horcoff into a 70 pt center, it's worth what it will cost. :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think that going after top line or no.1 Dman type players in their prime isnt a realistic fix. There are lots of teams that could use a top 10 Dman. (20 teams to be exact!).

Realistically, the Oil should focus on vets who still have game. Guys who can help mentor the younger players. Guys who can help change a losing mentality.

Guys like Hamhuis, Eriksson, Yandle I think players of that ilk would do wonders for changing the `brand`.

Hamhuis is still solid No.2 guy..maybe No.3 . He can log 25 minutes a night. He`s pretty mistake free, can play against top players quite effectively, plays a solid physical game.
Yandle is of the same calibre but more offensive. Excellent transition player. Put up like 45 points last year.
Eriksson - Excellent two-way game. Decent size, can play C but is a natural winger. Excellent north south player but has great hands around the net..can chip in the dirty goals too. 30 goals last year.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not a professional scout but I'm allowed to have my own opinion on players. He's entitled to his opinion too. Saying that I haven't been paying attention is just rude.

As for why they are top 4 dmen? They are both smart players with great passion for the game. No character issues and their teammates love them.
Yea and people are allowed to question those opinions. You said don't question my knowledge on the draft...I just found that weird. Anyways I don't mean to go down that rabbit hole. We all have our opinions. As for the floor being a top 4, I think that's a stretch with almost any young defenseman until you see how they adjust to the speed and physicality of the NHL game.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Hall-RNH-Draisaitl
Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Bozak-Wingels
Hendricks-Khaira-Kassian
Letestu Pakarinen

Klefbom-Barrie
Sekera-Demers
Davidson-Nurse
Gryba

Talbot
Ramo

Fayne+ for Bozak
Trade Yak for 2 2nds
Wingels for edm 3rd
4th overall for Barrie
Sign Demers 4x 4.7
Sign Ramo 2x 2.2

Who do you protect in the expansion draft?

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
I think that going after top line or no.1 Dman type players in their prime isnt a realistic fix. There are lots of teams that could use a top 10 Dman. (20 teams to be exact!).

Realistically, the Oil should focus on vets who still have game. Guys who can help mentor the younger players. Guys who can help change a losing mentality.

Guys like Hamhuis, Eriksson, Yandle I think players of that ilk would do wonders for changing the `brand`.

Hamhuis is still solid No.2 guy..maybe No.3 . He can log 25 minutes a night. He doesnt make mistakes, plays a solid physical game.
Yandle is of the same calibre but more offensive. Excellent transition player. Put up like 45 points last year.
Eriksson - Excellent two-way game. Decent size, can play C but is a natural winger. Excellent north south player but has great hands around the net..can chip in the dirty goals too. 30 goals last year.

The Blackhawks would have missed the playoffs for the last 6 yrs straight if they had our defense.

All the Oil's young stars have won on teams that had D. Not saying they're all Messier or Toews mentally, just don't think it would be a subject if the Oil had defense. Those suggestions make them better but with the group of horses the Oil have they need to go all in and go big time on the back end.

I do like Eriksson. Like Yandle too as a 2nd pairing but he's a lefty.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Back on the rails.....

Quite simply, if I'm the Oil I'm having every conversation imaginable and everyone not named McDavid are on the table.

One mission: BOLD move- One Top 10 NHL Dman.
After watching Pronger turn Horcoff into a 70 pt center, it's worth what it will cost. :yo:

2005 officiating turned Horcoff into a 70 point center.

If you want a top 10 defenseman you're trading McDavid. Nothing else gets it done short of somebody demanding a trade or the cap coming way down, with the latter being just as bad for Edmonton.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who do you protect in the expansion draft?
Using Stud Muffin's team:

Hall
RNH
Eberle
Drai
Klefbom
Sekera
Barrie
Demers

Talbot

Nurse+McDavid protected due to age.

The only concern might be not enough salary exposed. In which case you'd scrap protecting someone like Demers and expose him. All you end up losing is cash in terms of assets given up to acquire the player previously.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

If you want a top 10 defenseman you're trading McDavid. Nothing else gets it done short of somebody demanding a trade or the cap coming way down, with the latter being just as bad for Edmonton.

Nothing else? We've got a top 5 LW in the game on a beauty contract, a big skilled young centre that's always in demand (Friedman), a two way centre who has comparable value to a guy traded for a rising dman picked 4th overall (Spector poll), and a 4th overall. Some combination of that could definitely get a top 10 defensemen, but it probably won't be worth it for Edmonton.

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015

2005 officiating....? Ok.

You don't think the Oilers have enough for a top 10 D beyond 97?
I think most people feel the Oil have enough to get it done, it's at what cost....
I'd pay that price. But that's just me.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Any GM who would trade an elite defenseman for a forward/package of forwards should be fired immediately.

That would be the sort of trade that would turn your team into the Edmonton Oilers. We know how well that has gone.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I have no problems with MacT, he's a smart hockey guy. He gets to much **** for what went on here, the only thing that was really bad was the hiring of Eakins.

He also said Schultz had Norris potential and overpaid him...then proceeded to lose Petry for almost nothing. Overpaid Nikitin. His planned (and verbalized) defensive core of Klefbom, Nikitin, Schultz, and Fayne has only one player that would make a contending team.

He is the main reason we still have one of the worst defensive corps in the entire league after years of failure and high picks.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Using Stud Muffin's team:

Hall
RNH
Eberle
Drai

Klefbom
Sekera
Barrie
Demers

Talbot

Nurse+McDavid protected due to age.

The only concern might be not enough salary exposed. In which case you'd scrap protecting someone like Demers and expose him. All you end up losing is cash in terms of assets given up to acquire the player previously.

I'll be very surprise if all these guys are still on the team when the expansion takes place. At least one is gone.

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
Any GM who would trade an elite defenseman for a forward/package of forwards should be fired immediately.

That would be the sort of trade that would turn your team into the Edmonton Oilers. We know how well that has gone.

So if St.Louis trades Pietrangelo to Edmonton for Drai and Eberle and whatever else it costs do you think the Blues will become an NhL 29-30th place bottom feeder?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll be very surprise if all these guys are still on the team when the expansion takes place. At least one is gone.

I'd be a bit surprised too. Although not completely stunned. Chiarelli isn't going to just give these players away. And if no one offers what he's looking for, I expect all of those players will still be here. But regardless, I was just using the roster that was provided by Stud Muffin.

I don't think the Oilers would have the cap space to keep all of their forwards and sign Barrie+Demers to long term contracts anyway.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Eberle won't be traded. He'll score 50 next year.

Only if he spends every minute with McDavid and our power play is the best in the league.
My gut tells me it won't happen in a million years but then you remember how good Jumbo made Cheechoo look.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011

Bob Stauffer is pumping Tkachuk. Perhaps the pick will be kept? If there is an expansion the value of draft pick should sky rocket since the commodity will be protected.

If Drai is'nt protected it seems logic to use him in a trade.

Bear91

Sep 21, 2013
I could see 40 if he spends the year with McDavid. 50 might be a stretch unless he learns to adjust his game a bit.

Ebs better learn how to one time a puck if he ever wants a sniff at 50 goals.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle won't be traded. He'll score 50 next year.

He'll probably score more than 50 points, but 50 goals? Not a chance. Even Ovechkin, one of the best scorers of all time, is barely scraping across the 50 goal mark on a dominant team. The 3 other players who broke the 40 goal mark aren't even a lock to break 40 again, and they are all superior scorers compared to Ebs.

Unless the NHL finally does something about goaltending equipment, updates the net size, and deals with shot blocking; Eberle will be in tough to ever hit 40, let alone 50. Mcdavid is good, and likely will be the best player in the NHL before long, but that doesn't mean he's going to start pushing players to 50 goal seasons in a league where only a tiny minority of players can even get within 10 goals of that mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad