Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread II | I Dealt The Word 'Trade' For A Thread Count. Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The only UFA forward id want is Eriksson. I have no time for Backes or Ladd due to age, style of play and asking price. Eriksson plays a physical game, but less so than above guys, hell last longer in the league and have a longer peak. Plus hes a stud defensive winger to boot

I think there are really only 4 teams who will go big for wingers, leaving 1 of the UFA wingers to have to accept a lower deal

Let teams duel over Ladd/Lucic/Okposo/Backes. Well pick up last guy for cheaper

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If Ference remains on the IR during the buyout window between Jun 15-30, as you mentioned, they will need his approval for the buyout. I just do not see a reason why he would agree to accept only 2/3 of his owed salary spread out over two seasons. Perhaps the Oilers could dangle a front office job to sweeten the deal; however, I imagine the NHL would want to take a closer look at any such arrangement.

The potential loss of a protection spot by having to burn one for Ference could really limit any deal Chiarelli makes for a veteran player this off-season. Depending on the rules for exempt players (e.g., what is considered a pro year), the Oilers could have a lot of leverage in the trade market because they would possess numerous spots for which to acquire players other teams do not want to lose for nothing. This is Chiarelli's summer to make a big move and it would be unfortunate if Ference's contract lessens the impact any major trade could have on this franchise.

Ference gave an interview a few months ago where he said he was expecting to be bought out and then he'd retire. That was before he'd even had his surgery for his hip which had sidelined him. He seemed fine with the thought a few months ago.

Maybe that will change once he talks to his agent/NHLPA rep I suppose.

And even if he does remain on LTIR, part of me thinks that the NHL will address players on expiring contracts who have a NMC. I mean... hockey hall of fame inductee Chris Pronger would need to be protected by the Coyotes lol. Although who knows. The NHL forgot about the glaring issue of compensation for previously fired coaches/GMs. Maybe they'll chose to not address this as well.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Ference would likely wave his NMC for the expansion draft. Why would he not? He isn't playing here in edmonton, if he were drafted through the ED maybe he finds a roster spot.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ference gave an interview a few months ago where he said he was expecting to be bought out and then he'd retire. That was before he'd even had his surgery for his hip which had sidelined him. He seemed fine with the thought a few months ago.

And even if he does remain on LTIR, part of me thinks that the NHL will address players on expiring contracts who have a NMC. I mean... hockey hall of fame inductee Chris Pronger would need to be protected by the Coyotes lol. Although who knows. The NHL forgot about the glaring issue of compensation for previously fired coaches/GMs. Maybe they'll chose to not address this as well.

I think NHL wanted to create such a strong new expansion team (to avoid Columbus nightmare) that they came out with just really strict initial draft rules. I could easily see situations where LTIR NMC players can agree to waive NMC for draft only. Or something to soften up rules. NHL came out strong but will get push back from some pretty big teams and theyll soften a bit

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Ference would likely wave his NMC for the expansion draft. Why would he not? He isn't playing here in edmonton, if he were drafted through the ED maybe he finds a roster spot.

That's why I said we need to see the exact rules to determine: a) the status of players with NMC who are about to become UFA, and b) does a player have the option to waive his NMC for the expansion draft?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Won't matter any ways. Ference's contract is up before the expansion draft is done. So we wouldn't need to protect him any ways.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think NHL wanted to create such a strong new expansion team (to avoid Columbus nightmare) that they came out with just really strict initial draft rules. I could easily see situations where LTIR NMC players can agree to waive NMC for draft only. Or something to soften up rules. NHL came out strong but will get push back from some pretty big teams and theyll soften a bit

I'd be less concerned about players on LTIR as I would be players on expiring contracts. Seems crazy that you'd need to protect a player who would be a UFA 10 days after the expansion draft takes place.

Won't matter any ways. Ference's contract is up before the expansion draft is done. So we wouldn't need to protect him any ways.

The expansion draft would be in June after the playoffs. Ference's contract wouldn't be up until July 1st

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'd be less concerned about players on LTIR as I would be players on expiring contracts. Seems crazy that you'd need to protect a player who would be a UFA 10 days after the expansion draft takes place.

The expansion draft would be in June after the playoffs. Ference's contract wouldn't be up until July 1st

Well, that'd be pretty stupid on the NHL to force our hand on his contract because of a month left on it. I highly doubt we will need to protect him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well, that'd be pretty stupid on the NHL to force our hand on his contract because of a month left on it. I highly doubt we will need to protect him.

It would be stupid. But it was stupid that teams needed to pay compensation for fired coachs/GMs. We still need to do that.

I don't trust the NHL to make the logical decisions in cases like this.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

All indications point to Bettman wanting the expansion team(s) to have the best list of players from which to select their team as possible. His attitude appears to be that if the owners expect to cash-in $500M per expansion team, they need to pay for it and lose players they do not want to lose.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It would be stupid. But it was stupid that teams needed to pay compensation for fired coachs/GMs. We still need to do that.

I don't trust the NHL to make the logical decisions in cases like this.

I can't see the Oilers allowing the NHL to screw us with Ference's contract. They will be extremely vocal about it. Look at Toronto, Arizona and Philly with all their LTIR. They will be on it too. I just can't see them screwing every team with this. I understand making the expansion teams competitive, but come on. If the NHL counts Ference to 1 roster spot, I'll be VERY pissed :rant:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Because he has a NMC

Ferences deal is not a worry at all, and there is some blatant fear mongering.

1. You can buy out a injured player, they just have to agree. Im guessing hes done anyway so hell agree. This is most likely outcome

2. You can buy him out at any point next season when he does get better.

3. In the worst or worst cases where we for some reason dont buy him out. You can ask him to waive NMC for the draft. Hell be a UFA days after the expansion draft and his career is likely over. There is no reason for him to not waive his NMC. By waving NMC he allows himself to be subject to draft (where that team doesnt take him)

For the most part I agree but we cant just buy him out whenever. There is only a short window for buyouts and I think it happens just before free agency so that the player has a chance to sign with another team. A second window opens up if you have a RFA go to arbitration.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I can't see the Oilers allowing the NHL to screw us with Ference's contract. They will be extremely vocal about it. Look at Toronto, Arizona and Philly with all their LTIR. They will be on it too. I just can't see them screwing every team with this. I understand making the expansion teams competitive, but come on. If the NHL counts Ference to 1 roster spot, I'll be VERY pissed :rant:

Honestly, each of those owners/GMs could call Bettman constantly complaining about how protecting their own version of the Ference contract screws them over, and it will be nothing compared to the headaches expansion/relocation markets like Arizona, Columbus, and Atlanta have given him this past decade. Just pop by the business board to see how much legal and political capital the NHL has expended over the years to maintain the Coyotes, and they still lose tens of millions of dollars every year.

Las Vegas will be set-up as an expansion franchise that will be given all opportunities to succeed relatively quickly and turn a profit ASAP.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Kevan Miller gone for 2.5M a year for 4 years to stay in Boston.

Kevin* not Colin

Kevin just got signed and hes a 28 year old bottom pairing D

Colin Miller (guy discussed before in here) is a different guy. Only 23

Confusing names tho, I thought it was same guy initially too

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That Kevin Miller deal is pretty bad tho lol. 2.5 mil for 4 (!) years for a 28 year old strictly bottom pairing D. The term is the worst part. Id wager Pardy is a similar D

Sweeney strikes again

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Wonder if Chia trades for McQuaid. Weren't there some rumours the Oilers would pursue him last year in free agency before he re-signed with the Bruins?

I mean... hopefully if the Oilers wanted McQuaid they'd just re-sign Gryba to fill the exact same role at a fraction of the cost (one would hope).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wonder if Chia trades for McQuaid. Weren't there some rumours the Oilers would pursue him last year in free agency before he re-signed with the Bruins?

I mean... hopefully if the Oilers wanted McQuaid they'd just re-sign Gryba to fill the exact same role at a fraction of the cost (one would hope).

McQuiad is done. Hes a cap dump at this point. Id hope McQuaid is not on Chiarelli's radar any more. Like you said, Gryba is simialr at this point. Mark Fayne, who alot of Oil fans want gone, is better D signed for less term. Better to just keep him.

I looked on general fanager, the Bruins are in a weird cap situation. They have 9 mil tied up in 3 strictly older bottom pairing D. They have cap room, but then have a ton of key UFA and RFAs coming up next 2/3 years. So weird Eriksson is available

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

My eyes tricked me when I read this post and for a split second I thought you typed "McDavid" instead... :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I think it was more fans and media saw McQuaid as some obtainable that would be cheap to pickup and bring some toughness to the back end. I really don't know that there was anything legit though.

I'd just keep Gryba like you said.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kevin* not Colin

Kevin just got signed and hes a 28 year old bottom pairing D

Colin Miller (guy discussed before in here) is a different guy. Only 23

Confusing names tho, I thought it was same guy initially too

It's Kevan.

Our main boards advanced stats guru has been pumping his tires the past few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->