Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread II | I Dealt The Word 'Trade' For A Thread Count. Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Bob Stauffer is pumping Tkachuk. Perhaps the pick will be kept? If there is an expansion the value of draft pick should sky rocket since the commodity will be protected.

If Drai is'nt protected it seems logic to use him in a trade.

Draisaitl will be protected. I think we see Pouliot here at most one more season. He seems like a great expansion team player.
And Eberle won't last long I don't think. Tkachuk can enter the league next season on McDavid's line potentially.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think that going after top line or no.1 Dman type players in their prime isnt a realistic fix. There are lots of teams that could use a top 10 Dman. (20 teams to be exact!).

Realistically, the Oil should focus on vets who still have game. Guys who can help mentor the younger players. Guys who can help change a losing mentality.

Guys like Hamhuis, Eriksson, Yandle I think players of that ilk would do wonders for changing the `brand`.

Hamhuis is still solid No.2 guy..maybe No.3 . He can log 25 minutes a night. He`s pretty mistake free, can play against top players quite effectively, plays a solid physical game.
Yandle is of the same calibre but more offensive. Excellent transition player. Put up like 45 points last year.
Eriksson - Excellent two-way game. Decent size, can play C but is a natural winger. Excellent north south player but has great hands around the net..can chip in the dirty goals too. 30 goals last year.
Hamhuis is a player I've liked for a long time, but his play is slipping and it's been fairly noticeable, I'd say he is a very fringe 3 or a very solid #4 d-man now.

I wouldn't be sad about acquiring any one of the 3, but I'd be happier about acquiring Eriksson or Yandle.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Hall - RNH - Draisaitl
Maroon - McDavid - Erikkson
Pouliot - Richards - Yak
Hendo- Let - Pak/Korpi

Sekera - Subban
Klefbom - Wisniewski
Davidson - Oesterle

Talbot
----
1) Subban(1.5 ret) for Ebs, Nurse, 4th overall pick
2) 32 ov + Lander + Fayne for Wisniewski (or any decent vet)
3) Sign Richards 2 years x 3 mill
4) Use the Chia connection to land Eriksson (4x5.5)

That's 4 guys we would have to protect in an expansion draft compared to two (assuming we want to protect Fayne). I'd rather keep Nurse and the pick.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Any thoughts on JF Berube?

I know some have thrown names like Enroth and Ward around.

Another goaltender provides competition for Brossoit and adds leverage in case an injury occurs.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta

Another goaltender provides competition for Brossoit and adds leverage in case an injury occurs.
I know Id rather have a exp vet, someone we could lean on if need be, Berube has what 10 games in the NHL max ?
I wouldn't mind throwing some money at ward for one year, but at the same time I wouldn't want to give Talbot the wrong idea, goalies can be very weird

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nikitin had Howson written all over it. There's a reason MacT is still around.

Howson is still here as well.

Amazing that these guys still have jobs in the organization and not only that but prominent jobs with MacT seemingly riding shotgun with Chia on every scouting trip. It kind of sours me on Chia to be quite honest.

"Scott is a tremendous evaluater of talent"

- Craig MacTavish
Several times during his tenure

"Horcoff should be on the Olympic roster" "Schultz has Norris potential" "Nikitin is a top 4 Dman" "Next year I would forecast as another development year" "Visually better" "BOLD" etc. etc.
How anybody defends this guy is beyond me

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know Id rather have a exp vet, someone we could lean on if need be, Berube has what 10 games in the NHL max ?
I wouldn't mind throwing some money at ward for one year, but at the same time I wouldn't want to give Talbot the wrong idea, goalies can be very weird

I think going after that vet is a good idea. Bring a guy in that is going to be able to play if Talbot gets hurt, Brossoit can't do that at this point. However, if Brossoit can improve maybe at the deadline you have yourself an asset that you can move to a team that is looking for goalie depth.

I also have little faith in Brossoit at this point. He was horrid in his time here and clearly wasn't ready when up. Who knows though as goalies can come out of no where. I just don't think we should be looking at him as any sort of solution for the future until he proves otherwise.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Howson is still here as well.

Amazing that these guys still have jobs in the organization and not only that but prominent jobs with MacT seemingly riding shotgun with Chia on every scouting trip. It kind of sours me on Chia to be quite honest.

As bad as a GM MacT was, doesn't mean he's a useless hockey mind. He was good at scouting college and europe from what I gather. He's essentially like the rest of the Oiler players, doing something he wasn't ready for.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As bad as a GM MacT was, doesn't mean he's a useless hockey mind. He was good at scouting college and europe from what I gather. He's essentially like the rest of the Oiler players, doing something he wasn't ready for.

There was some good and some bad with him but the bad was much worse than the good was good and him shooting off at the mouth just made the situation all that much worse.

The bottom line is that he shouldn't be here anymore. The optics are bad even if he might hold some use.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
There was some good and some bad with him but the bad was much worse than the good was good and him shooting off at the mouth just made the situation all that much worse.

The bottom line is that he shouldn't be here anymore. The optics are bad even if he might hold some use.

The optics are just fine, although I'd be surprised if he's around next season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah I agree. I think his mind and eye for hockey. I think his biggest issues came from the pressures of being a GM and being the guy pulling the trigger. The pressure got to him and he folded. I also think his other major issue is that he goes crazy over 1 or 2 players (Schultz, Reinhart) and irrationally hates 1 or 2 players (Marincin, Petry)

Truth be told his first 8 months as Oilers GM is pretty similar to Chairellies. Both good initial drafts, both went out and got unproven but promising goalie, both signed one of top UFA D available. Both traded for some grit in top 6 (Maroon, Perron). He was good up until this point, then the pressure got to him and he went off the rails. There was a time when the MacT WWF walk gif was used not as satire but as praise for him in his first deals

I dont mind having him in the organization providing minimal input. You take the very best of his ideas and ignore 90% of the rest. As for optics, sure Oil fans will still hate it and CP will love it. But honestly, what do fans know that he is doing? If a cup winning, highly regarded GM is keeping him around, ill go with Chiarelli on this one.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Yeah I agree. I think his mind and eye for hockey. I think his biggest issues came from the pressures of being a GM and being the guy pulling the trigger. The pressure got to him and he folded. I also think his other major issue is that he goes crazy over 1 or 2 players (Schultz, Reinhart) and irrationally hates 1 or 2 players (Marincin, Petry)

Truth be told his first 8 months as Oilers GM is pretty similar to Chairellies. Both good initial drafts, both went out and got unproven but promising goalie, both signed one of top UFA D available. Both traded for some grit in top 6 (Maroon, Perron). He was good up until this point, then the pressure got to him and he went off the rails. There was a time when the MacT WWF walk gif was used not as satire but as praise for him in his first deals

I dont mind having him in the organization providing minimal input. You take the very best of his ideas and ignore 90% of the rest. As for optics, sure Oil fans will still hate it and CP will love it. But honestly, what do fans know that he is doing? If a cup winning, highly regarded GM is keeping him around, ill go with Chiarelli on this one.

I definitely agree with this. People quickly forget that no one wanted to be the Oilers GM. All the available GMs were nobodies or assistant GM's. MacT stepped up and ran the team because of his love for the Oilers. He had no issue standing aside when a real GM became available.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If we are going for a back up goalie, maybe we look at Darcy Kuemper. Kuemper is stuck behind Dubnyk and hes an RFA on a cap strapped team. I do not know if I can see Wild sinking 6.5-7M into goaltending when other parts of the team are in need

There is also the risk hes picke dup in expansion draft. Would be an intriguing pick up for new team

Kuemper is a great back up option for 2 reasons. 1) Hes already proven hes a quality NHL goalie with .915+ seasons. 2) Hes still young enough (26 is young for a goalie) to break out and command the #1 starter position. He still has potential, but even if he never reaches it, hes still a good back up or even #1B if starter suffers a major injury

My ideal goaltending situation is this

16-17: NHL: Talbot #1, Kuemper back up AHL: LB #1, Eetu back up ECHL: Ellis #1
17-18: NHL: Talbot #1, Kuemper back up, LB getting 10-15 games AHL: Eetu #1, Ellis back up
18-19: Re-evualute, if Kumper or LB are ready, trade Talbot for cap space roll with Kumper/Brossoit. Re-evaluate your AHL goalies too

i think thats a good turn over method for goalies to keep them at their best and keep cap in check

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I definitely agree with this. People quickly forget that no one wanted to be the Oilers GM. All the available GMs were nobodies or assistant GM's. MacT stepped up and ran the team because of his love for the Oilers. He had no issue standing aside when a real GM became available.

Yeah forsure. There were no slam dunk GMs to pick up. We could have went with some young, inexperienced GM but there is no guarantee that would have worked out. MacT also came in with ideology many younger GMs or AGMs carry too. He spoke like he was very much into skill, possession and analytics. He seemed very progressive. His first moves very much spoke to that. However his later moves entirely went against them. So who knows, maybe he just talked the talk but wouldnt walk the walk. Or maybe he really was a promising, progressive new age GM who had all his ideas batted down by Lowe and higher up guys with old-school thinking

I could see why Chiarelli keep him around, I think both have similar ideologies, both had power hungry bosses (Lowe, Neely).

Oiler fans can equate Lowe and MacT as being similarly as bad. But I think there is a major distinction to be made. Lowe was a solid GM back in 2005 but totally lost grip on the game from 2007 on. His way of thinking is rotten and outdated. MacT has more of a mind for todays NHL (analytics, possession). Atleast this is what I get from him when he speaks at times. And some of his moves reflected this. So if you take Lowes best ideas you get a pile of crap. If you take MacTs best ideas you still get some sort of good moves

And who knows, maybe MacT still has connections in the NHL they are using for future trades

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

The Isles seem to be set on a Greiss/Berube tandem for next year and will be trying to dump Halak from the sounds of it. Don't think he'll be an option.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
What would Boston want for Colin Miller?

I have a lot of interest in him, he's one of the better "flyers" on D who could blossom soon.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What would Boston want for Colin Miller?

I have a lot of interest in him, he's one of the better "flyers" on D who could blossom soon.

Hes a guy id do Yak for. Hes almost entirely unproven in NHL and really only *1* super good AHL year. 12 in 20 is solid but small sample size. But then he does have good tools and promising young guy

I have a ton of time for him to. Id add him to the list of guys like Pysyk, Dumba, Murphy, Petrovic. Young RHD that are pretty unproven but still have upside

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Source? There were several guys available that summer and I don't even think Kevin Lowe did interviews. MacT was hired like a day or two after Tambo was relieved of his duties. Where would this team be if Jim Nill had been brought in instead of Craig MacTavish? Again we see utter incompetence from our management and it's swept under the rug with no consequences.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah forsure. There were no slam dunk GMs to pick up. We could have went with some young, inexperienced GM but there is no guarantee that would have worked out. MacT also came in with ideology many younger GMs or AGMs carry too. He spoke like he was very much into skill, possession and analytics. He seemed very progressive. His first moves very much spoke to that. However his later moves entirely went against them. So who knows, maybe he just talked the talk but wouldnt walk the walk. Or maybe he really was a promising, progressive new age GM who had all his ideas batted down by Lowe and higher up guys with old-school thinking

I could see why Chiarelli keep him around, I think both have similar ideologies, both had power hungry bosses (Lowe, Neely).

Oiler fans can equate Lowe and MacT as being similarly as bad. But I think there is a major distinction to be made. Lowe was a solid GM back in 2005 but totally lost grip on the game from 2007 on. His way of thinking is rotten and outdated. MacT has more of a mind for todays NHL (analytics, possession). Atleast this is what I get from him when he speaks at times. And some of his moves reflected this. So if you take Lowes best ideas you get a pile of crap. If you take MacTs best ideas you still get some sort of good moves

And who knows, maybe MacT still has connections in the NHL they are using for future trades

Jim Nill was pretty much as slam dunk as you can get for potential GM replacements. Alberta boy who was available and they don't even call him. Instead he goes to Dallas and turns that team completely around in less then 3 years.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hes a guy id do Yak for. Hes almost entirely unproven in NHL and really only *1* super good AHL year. 12 in 20 is solid but small sample size. But then he does have good tools and promising young guy

I have a ton of time for him to. Id add him to the list of guys like Pysyk, Dumba, Murphy, Petrovic. Young RHD that are pretty unproven but still have upside

I'd like a Davidson-Miller 3rd pairing a lot, it'd allow us to send Oesterle to the minors as well.

Considering they're adding Vesey on RW already, I wonder if they'd be more interested in Lander + draft pick (say 3rd rounder?)

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Source? There were several guys available that summer and I don't even think Kevin Lowe did interviews. MacT was hired like a day or two after Tambo was relieved of his duties. Where would this team be if Jim Nill had been brought in instead of Craig MacTavish? Again we see utter incompetence from our management and it's swept under the rug with no consequences.

Nill seems to be quite overrated. He really hasn't done a heck of a lot in Dallas outside of getting lucky with Seguin. With that being said I agree we should've had a process and I don't think we did.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

A day or two? Try within the hour. It literally ruined the celebration in the thread about Tambo's dismissal.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1404403

Worst part is how there is a couple jokes on page one about the exact nightmare scenario that came to pass. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad