Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread V | Would You "Luuuuuuuu"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If he wants anything over 5 long term he needs to give his head a shake.

Hamilton got 5.75, Rielly got 5, Klingberg got 5.5 (?). Comparables are over 5. So I see an arguement. This will be a really tough negoiation because he came out red hot as a rookie 3 years ago. And for 2 consecutive years has seen his numbers drop across the board.

So from his side, he has comparable numbers to some elite D from his 1st year and even second. So has a argument for 6M. But then Jets are looking at his most recent year(s) and see a D whos comparables are alot less than Hamilton or those top young D. I can see why theyd be polar opposite and far apart. I wouldnt be suprised to see Jets peg him at 4.5 and him seeing a legit argument for 6

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
the only thing comparable in regards to Trouba and Hamliton/Klingberg is that the defensive side of their game is slightly suspect. Hamilton and Klingberg both put up 40+ points the last two years and Trouba has been trending downwards.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hamilton got 5.75, Rielly got 5, Klingberg got 5.5 (?). Comparables are over 5. So I see an arguement. This will be a really tough negoiation because he came out red hot as a rookie 3 years ago. And for 2 consecutive years has seen his numbers drop across the board.

So from his side, he has comparable numbers to some elite D from his 1st year and even second. So has a argument for 6M. But then Jets are looking at his most recent year(s) and see a D whos comparables are alot less than Hamilton or those top young D. I can see why theyd be polar opposite and far apart. I wouldnt be suprised to see Jets peg him at 4.5 and him seeing a legit argument for 6

Klingberg got 4.25.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
the only thing comparable in regards to Trouba and Hamliton/Klingberg is that the defensive side of their game is slightly suspect. Hamilton and Klingberg both put up 40+ points the last two years and Trouba has been trending downwards.

You just know Troubas agent will be riding that 0.44 ppg from his rookie season hard

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Klingberg got 4.25.

Oh wow, thats a solid deal actually

Id be suspect on Trouba over 5 mil if I was Jets management to. Max id do for him honestly is Eberle. I could live with 5.5 then, not ideal but gotta over pay a bit. If you look at his numbers most recent two years, they are extremely average and regressing. He is playing 4th toughest minutes on Jets and a decent possession player

I still like the player, but he could be another Bogosian. Who also stormed the league, looked great, but regressed and plateaued since then

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Why would anyone bring up Skinner in a proposal? We are tired of the marshmallows here.

I would rather bring back Hemsky over Skinner(even if I am a Hemsky fan)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Why would anyone bring up Skinner in a proposal? We are tired of the marshmallows here.

Skinner and Vrbata suggested today. Someone even suggested Ted Purcell be resigned a while ago. It's hard to comprehend why.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Yup. This ain't the old soft Oilers anymore.

Like many of you, I've seen 97 play so many times from his days in Erie, Team Canada, to the Oilers. McDavid thrives when he has a big powerful winger on his line who can win board battles and work the cycle. This opens up time and space for McDavid in the offensive zone that allows his elite vision to excel.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Skinner and Vrbata suggested today. Someone even suggested Ted Purcell be resigned a while ago. It's hard to comprehend why.

Scoring. We actually dont do a lot of it. Too many proposals here are trying to turn Oilers into Kings or Bruins or the Cup winning template from 2012. We swung the balance of this team too far to being big physical players, with actually a lack of skill and scoring

The teams winning now are balanced teams with emphasis on skill and speed. Hawks were actually a relative small team, we are actually bigger than them. They won 3 cups. Tampa made it to finals and were a skilled team. Pens will be winning cup with similar make up to us (but better)

Going all in for Lucic/Ladd/Backes is just overkill to the max. Id argue our top 6 is actually big enough to win once we pick Dubios or Tkachuk. Great mix of size/skill/2 way. Maroon/Pouliot/Draisaitl/Hall all above 6'1, none get pushed around. Add Tkachuk or Dubios and top 6 is top 10 for size in league

Either way, if we are removing too much scoring via trade and replacing it with low scoring grinders well be in for a world of hurt. Considering we are already a bottom 10 team for scoring

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think Philly is an interesting landing spot for Hall.

So in saying that here's a couple deals I think might make some sense.

With Philly: Hall for Couturier-Simmonds-Morin-1st?

With Car: Draisaitl for Faulk

With Buf: 4th+Fayne for 8th-Girgensons-Bogosian

With Tor: Pouliot for 3rd

Sign Lucic 6 years at 5M

Lineup becomes:

Maroon-RNH-Simmonds
Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
Girgensons-Couturier-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarainen

Klefbom-Faulk
Sekera-Bogosian
Davidson-Gryba
Pardy

Talbot

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Any good off-season FA targets to balance out the right wing once Yakupov packs his bags? There's Eriksson, of course, but it seems every team in the league is gunning for his services.
Okposo would be nice, but he will be getting 6 million or more, and he doesn't bring alot of what we don't already have in Eberle.
Brouwer would be ideal, but he seems pretty eager to stay in St. Louis, and if he does move, he's gonna be getting paid.
Versteeg is a decent middle sixer with lots of experience who doesn't cost much. I think Mikkel Boedker can play RW and should be affordable. Maybe gamble on a cheap risk like Chris Stewart?
Adding a solid veteran who has experience, who can bring a physical element, depth and secondary scoring would be a great part of this team looking for the playoffs.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Too many people don't know the different between getting bigger and SMARTLY getting bigger.

Ask the Blue Jackets if getting guys with grit and toughness leads to playoff success.

If a bigger, tougher player drives possession then by all means grab them.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Too many people don't know the different between getting bigger and SMARTLY getting bigger.

Ask the Blue Jackets if getting guys with grit and toughness leads to playoff success.

Agreed. The strength of our team going forward (assuming this stays in tact) will be down the middle. McDavid-Drai-RNH.

It would be nice for each of those lines to have at least one hulking winger who can get in on the forecheck, drive the cycle game, and fight for position in front of the net. Not just a big body, but a big physical winger that also possesses skill. Guys like that will open up time and space for skilled players.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Exactly. Size isn't everything. Make that mistake and you'll end up with Pajaarvi's instead of Marchands

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Scoring. We actually dont do a lot of it. Too many proposals here are trying to turn Oilers into Kings or Bruins or the Cup winning template from 2012. We swung the balance of this team too far to being big physical players, with actually a lack of skill and scoring

The teams winning now are balanced teams with emphasis on skill and speed. Hawks were actually a relative small team, we are actually bigger than them. They won 3 cups. Tampa made it to finals and were a skilled team. Pens will be winning cup with similar make up to us (but better)

Going all in for Lucic/Ladd/Backes is just overkill to the max. Id argue our top 6 is actually big enough to win once we pick Dubios or Tkachuk. Great mix of size/skill/2 way. Maroon/Pouliot/Draisaitl/Hall all above 6'1, none get pushed around. Add Tkachuk or Dubios and top 6 is top 10 for size in league

Either way, if we are removing too much scoring via trade and replacing it with low scoring grinders well be in for a world of hurt. Considering we are already a bottom 10 team for scoring

I think we agree it is about balance. Are the Oilers a balanced team? No way. It's not about size so much as it's about competitiveness, battle, and having players on each line/pairing who excel at different parts of the game in different areas of the ice.

A player like Vrbata is the exact opposite of what the Oilers should be looking to add up front. Scoring will come with balance, and out skilled players will look so much better.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Or
4th Overall
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
for
Jordan Staal
Justin Faulk

I like this but I think we would have to find a way to get one of their 1st round picks back as well. We are taking on alot of salary and could use a blue chip prospect to replace whoever we lose in the expansion draft. RNH and Faulk even out in terms of actual dollars left Faulk is owed 23 Million over 4 years and RNH 30 over 5. Stall is owed 42 million dollars. For a team with the financial woes of Carolina taking that contract off their hands for a top 5 pick has alot of value. This is probably a deal where ownership would be jumping at it.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
With mention of teams wanting a 1c/2c (ie Carolina, wild, avs?) Should there be a bidding war for the services of drai/rnh? Or is it like anything oilers, these guys are worth late round picks or prospects?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Exactly. Size isn't everything. Make that mistake and you'll end up with Pajaarvi's instead of Marchands

Size isn't everything but I think in the case with a team as soft and small as the Oilers, guys like Maroon and Pouliot to an extent are definitely welcome. So many times last season you see guys get pushed off the puck so easily, just because of the size (and toughness) disadvantage.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
With mention of teams wanting a 1c/2c (ie Carolina, wild, avs?) Should there be a bidding war for the services of drai/rnh? Or is it like anything oilers, these guys are worth late round picks or prospects?

I think it's a mix of the two.

I don't know if RNH or Draisaitl are worth top pairing guys on their own, but they're damned sure worth more than the likes of Vatanen or Severson.

Severson + Henrique + 11 for RNH + 4 + 62?

11 >> 4
RNH > Henrique, but its close
Severson >> 62

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Yup. This ain't the old soft Oilers anymore.

Like many of you, I've seen 97 play so many times from his days in Erie, Team Canada, to the Oilers. McDavid thrives when he has a big powerful winger on his line who can win board battles and work the cycle. This opens up time and space for McDavid in the offensive zone that allows his elite vision to excel.

Maroon can be the Malone to McDavid's Crosby.

But who fits on the right wing the best? Eberle and McDavid played well enough together but Eberle was effectively useless when he wasn't scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad