Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread V | Would You "Luuuuuuuu"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
lol, so give up on the younger, bigger player.

RNH was being outplayed by Draisaitl is a joke who's 3 years younger. Nugent Hopkins has had several years to improve his strength and he has failed to do so, being a weak, easy to push around center that's easy to contain.

Both McDavid and Draisaitl are better than Nugent Hopkins, he was an extremely weak 1st overall pick.

9 points in 37 games as a rookie. Came back for his sophomore year and scored 29 points in 20 games. Then he cooled off considerably, only scoring 31 points in the last 52 games. I agree that Draisaitl compliments Mcdavid better but RNH is the better 2way player and playmaker.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To any flyers fans who be creeping- the only d u have that interests me is provorvov and the only forward is simmonds(were talking big trade pieces)

Yeah, if they're fishing around 4th or Hall, guys like Morin, Schenn, and Sanheim are secondary add-ins. Missing the major piece.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
9 points in 37 games as a rookie. Came back for his sophomore year and scored 29 points in 20 games. Then he cooled off considerably, only scoring 31 points in the last 52 games. I agree that Draisaitl compliments Mcdavid better but RNH is the better 2way player and playmaker.

31 in 52 is still a 49 point pace. Did you maybe mean 21 in the last 52?

Drai definitely cooled off. He was going like a bat out of hell the first 30 games or so and I think that caught up with him. Big young guys like him need to learn to pace themselves.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
What would people think about 7.5m x 3 years for Lucic?

This might be the compromise position. Let's say Vancouver offers 6.5x5, LA offers 6.5x5.

I'd still consider this an overpay for Lucic, but you're cutting down the risk substantially.

Lucic gets to hit the open market again in 3 years, after potentially playing with McDavid. The risk on his end is injury, but he can insure himself for that if he's really concerned (buying a policy based on future earning potential). He'll only be 32 in July 2017.

He signs another 3 year contract (or longer) afterwards for 6m per year. Boom, he's just cashed in an extra 3 million, plus the adjusted savings for playing in Alberta and Edmonton with a lower cost of living than LA and Vancouver.

This gets Lucic, a fully developed power forward on McDavid's wing for the next 2 years while he's on an ELC. You have the option to keep Hall or trade him in the next few years. You can play Pouliot on RW.

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Draisaitl - Pouliot
Maroon - RNH - Korpikoski/Puljujarvi or Dubois/Tkachuk down the road on the W
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

Lucic, Maroon and Kassian are looking like a pretty scary group of guys to contend with. Still a lot of speed with McDavid, Hall, Hendricks and Pouliot. Great options to mix up the lines too.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
RNH was missed badly by the whole team last year. His injury coincided with the total down hill slide of the Drai/Hall line.

Going from a team with almost no centers to a team with three good viable ones, we better be getting a heck of a good player if we deal one them. Injuries happen every year and center depth is important.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Absolutely.
Man, the Islanders would hate that.

I think Yakupov (and a small plus) for Strome is fair, but HF won't see it that way.

Considering Strome is an RFA coming off an awful season, you can cost control him really effectively on something short-term to see if he can be better.

That's why I wouldn't even be mad about a Eberle for Strome base of deal, because of how much money we save in the process. I'd like a plus for that one though added to Strome.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
RNH was missed badly by the whole team last year. His injury coincided with the total down hill slide of the Drai/Hall line.

Going from a team with almost no centers to a team with three good viable ones, we better be getting a heck of a good player if we deal one them. Injuries happen every year and center depth is important.

Also worth noting that RNH had 11 points in his first 13 or 14 games when he finally didn't have to take all the tough matchups.

McDavid went down, and so did Nuge's offense.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
What would people think about 7.5m x 3 years for Lucic?

This might be the compromise position. Let's say Vancouver offers 6.5x5, LA offers 6.5x5.

I'd still consider this an overpay for Lucic, but you're cutting down the risk substantially.

Lucic gets to hit the open market again in 3 years, after potentially playing with McDavid. The risk on his end is injury, but he can insure himself for that if he's really concerned (buying a policy based on future earning potential). He'll only be 32 in July 2017.

He signs another 3 year contract (or longer) afterwards for 6m per year. Boom, he's just cashed in an extra 3 million, plus the adjusted savings for playing in Alberta and Edmonton with a lower cost of living than LA and Vancouver.

This gets Lucic, a fully developed power forward on McDavid's wing for the next 2 years while he's on an ELC. You have the option to keep Hall or trade him in the next few years. You can play Pouliot on RW.

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Draisaitl - Pouliot
Maroon - RNH - Korpikoski/Puljujarvi or Dubois/Tkachuk down the road on the W
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

Lucic, Maroon and Kassian are looking like a pretty scary group of guys to contend with. Still a lot of speed with McDavid, Hall, Hendricks and Pouliot. Great options to mix up the lines too.

I don't mind overpaying on the short term, 3 years is about my limit on that kind of a deal. The big sin is overpaying and over terming.

I'm really hoping we can get rid of Pouliot this off season.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think we differ on strength of Carolinas defense

Hanifin is future #1D, Fluery is probably in middle of Klefbom/Nurse for upside and play. Then they have Slavin, who is their own version of Davidson

Hanifin, Fluery, Slavin is a great start to a D core. As it stands, for forwards they have Lindholm, who has stagnated and looking like Yakupov. Skinner, who has serious health issues and an Eberle at best. And Victor Rask, who is an RNH at best.

So imagine going into a rebuild with Eberle, RNH, Yak as your future forwards. Then an overpaid regressing Staal and some other unproven pieces. You cant build a good team with only good D

You can't build a good team without good D. Banking on three unproven guys to get the job done would be foolish when you already have a 24 year old #1D. Would you rather go into a rebuild with Eberle, RNH, Yak + Draisaitl and have Nurse, Reinhart, Davidson as your D instead of having a better version of Klefbom and no Draisaitl? I wouldn't.

I mean, isn't this essentially what Oilers have already done? Rebuilt around forwards instead of good D. Now you suggest Canes do the same. The future of the Oilers would look absolutely dreadful without Klefbom even while having McDavid, Drai, Hall, RNH, Eberle...And that's a Klefbom that hasn't proved himself as a #1D like Faulk has. We don't even know where we're gonna find a #1D. Chances are we don't and have to try and run a D by committee.

To contrast this Carolina could just move Hanifin or any of the other young D if they would prove themselves as these top-flight young defensemen you seem to think they're destined to evolve into. It will always be much easier to move good D for F than vice versa, which, again, I'd think Oilers fans of all people would realize.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Yeah, if they're fishing around 4th or Hall, guys like Morin, Schenn, and Sanheim are secondary add-ins. Missing the major piece.

Yeah Simmonds would be the main piece. But there's no way we're adding one of those guys... Schenn is a 60pt a guy, he's not a throw in
I'd be comfortable with Simmonds for 4th

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah Simmonds would be the main piece. But there's no way we're adding one of those guys... Schenn is a 60pt a guy, he's not a throw in
I'd be comfortable with Simmonds for 4th

Amazing what happens to a 45 point guy when you had a great PMD behind them...

I've said it more than once. Adding a strong PMD behind our forwards will add 10 points to most of them.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Amazing what happens to a 45 point guy when you had a great PMD behind them...

I've said it more than once. Adding a strong PMD behind our forwards will add 10 points to most of them.

Schenn actually increased his point total every year he's been in the league. I always saw him being a consistent 60pt guy, even though he has yet to prove it

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You can't build a good team without good D. Banking on three unproven guys to get the job done would be foolish when you already have a 24 year old #1D. Would you rather go into a rebuild with Eberle, RNH, Yak + Draisaitl and have Nurse, Reinhart, Davidson as your D instead of having a better version of Klefbom and no Draisaitl? I wouldn't.

I mean, isn't this essentially what Oilers have already done? Rebuilt around forwards instead of good D. Now you suggest Canes do the same. The future of the Oilers would look absolutely dreadful without Klefbom even while having McDavid, Drai, Hall, RNH, Eberle...And that's a Klefbom that hasn't proved himself as a #1D like Faulk has. We don't even know where we're gonna find a #1D. Chances are we don't and have to try and run a D by committee.

To contrast this Carolina could just move Hanifin or any of the other young D if they would prove themselves as these top-flight young defensemen you seem to think they're destined to evolve into. It will always be much easier to move good D for F than vice versa, which, again, I'd think Oilers fans of all people would realize.

Their starting D are sustainably better than ours. Hanafin is far and above any D we have had since Pronger. His current play as a rookie is probably better than anything weve had since Pronger too. Hes above Jones, but below Ekblad for young D. We dont have a comparable for him. Maybe Klefbom, but hes better than Klefbom right now, and is only 19. Slavin is their own Davidson and Fluery is around Nurse

So the rebuild is 1 elite D and 1 good NHL D already with #3 upside, and 1 good NHL D prospect. Far greater than what we had

Carolina has no incentive to deal Hanifin, who is cost controlled. The whole point of trading Faulk is to get back an elite cost controlled player and free up 36 mil of cash. Hanifin has higher upside as well. Hanifin is the next Lindholm and tracking even better than Lindholm.

The only reason Faulk is on the block whatsoever is for financial reasons. If Carolina was a well off team they could boost forwards by signing 1 or 2 big FAs, but they are broke and on verge of relocation

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
31 in 52 is still a 49 point pace. Did you maybe mean 21 in the last 52?

Drai definitely cooled off. He was going like a bat out of hell the first 30 games or so and I think that caught up with him. Big young guys like him need to learn to pace themselves.

20% shooting % is what caught up with him

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Also worth noting that RNH had 11 points in his first 13 or 14 games when he finally didn't have to take all the tough matchups.

McDavid went down, and so did Nuge's offense.

yep healthy mcdavid gets 100pts easy and in return nuge gets at least 55-60

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I've always felt that Hanzal is overrated. He's a 40 point C that is a stone cold lock to miss a quarter of the season. If he wasn't freakishly large no one would know who he was.

Our opinions differ big time on Hanzal. That will be a blessing for every Pacific team if he leaves the division.

He is not there to put up 100 points. On a contender he is a valuable 2nd line defensive center.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Their starting D are sustainably better than ours. Hanafin is far and above any D we have had since Pronger. His current play as a rookie is probably better than anything weve had since Pronger too. Hes above Jones, but below Ekblad for young D. We dont have a comparable for him. Maybe Klefbom, but hes better than Klefbom right now, and is only 19. Slavin is their own Davidson and Fluery is around Nurse

So the rebuild is 1 elite D and 1 good NHL D already with #3 upside, and 1 good NHL D prospect. Far greater than what we had

Carolina has no incentive to deal Hanifin, who is cost controlled. The whole point of trading Faulk is to get back an elite cost controlled player and free up 36 mil of cash. Hanifin has higher upside as well. Hanifin is the next Lindholm and tracking even better than Lindholm.

The only reason Faulk is on the block whatsoever is for financial reasons. If Carolina was a well off team they could boost forwards by signing 1 or 2 big FAs, but they are broke and on verge of relocation

Hanifin is not better than Klefbom right now. Maybe he becomes a better player in the future, maybe not, who knows. Yes, Hanifin is cost-controlled but Faulk is signed to a sweetheart deal. If Hanifin becomes this elite D over the next 2 years my guess is that his next contract does not start with a 4. So I doubt Carolina would get any sort significant help financially from that.

I mean, honestly, it's straight up crazy talk to trade Faulk. Maybe a couple of years down the line but not right now, no way. Hanifin has 1 year of experience, Pesce and Slavin same story. Fleury has 0 years of NHL experience and he doesn't even look that special. I don't think it's out of the question that he busts completely. At the very minimum he'll likely need 1 or 2 years in the AHL before playing full-time in the NHL. How is it a good idea to go into next year with a blueline looking like that? It would be sheer lunacy. That D would probably be worse than Buffalos D when they were tanking for McDavid and would guarantee the Canes to finish bottom-five for the next 3 years at minimum.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hanifin is not better than Klefbom right now. Maybe he becomes a better player in the future, maybe not, who knows. Yes, Hanifin is cost-controlled but Faulk is signed to a sweetheart deal. If Hanifin becomes this elite D over the next 2 years my guess is that his next contract does not start with a 4. So I doubt Carolina would get any sort significant help financially from that.

I mean, honestly, it's straight up crazy talk to trade Faulk. Maybe a couple of years down the line but not right now, no way. Hanifin has 1 year of experience, Pesce and Slavin same story. Fleury has 0 years of NHL experience and he doesn't even look that special. I don't think it's out of the question that he busts completely. At the very minimum he'll likely need 1 or 2 years in the AHL before playing full-time in the NHL. How is it a good idea to go into next year with a blueline looking like that? It would be sheer lunacy. That D would probably be worse than Buffalos D when they were tanking for McDavid and would guarantee the Canes to finish bottom-five for the next 3 years at minimum.

When you are looking at Carolina tho, the situation is a lot different than normal teams. Their motivation and priority is probably not the cap or icing the max best team they could. It almost entirely comes down to strict cash money. 36 million is what theyll be looking at, not the cap, not development of some of the players. If you cant stay afloat and cant afford to keep the team, all of your "team" building is moot, because you dont have a team. Much like Pronger in St.Lious, it comes down to $$. I cant name any off the top of my head, but there is problem a couple other big deals that had money as biggest motivator (Gretzky). At that point, the owners arent thinking about whether a #4D can handle more minutes or not

But this is all speculation. There is some smoke Faulk is available, and the Canes ownership is a complete mess. But any more is just fan speculation

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah people forget Drai had a bad case of the Eberles (remember when 14 was going to be a consistent 80 point guy?)

He was Eberle on steriods with a horse shoe up his a$$. 20% shooting, high on ice s%, high IPP. All 3 "luck" stats were in full force

This is not to take away from him. He did play REALLY well for 20 games (although coincidently those 20 games RNH was taking tough comp). But he was probably a 45-50 point player (over 82 games) this year without his insane lucky stats

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Tons of rumors flying around here lately. Gives us something to talk about.

The comments on Nuge's production going down when McDavid went down kind of equal out to why I want the Oilers to pick up a second/third line centre tweener. Just someone bigger whose best attribute is defence but is still good for 30 points with minimal to no power play time.

The issue is finding this player. Then finding this player who shoots right.

All hypothetical based on him being traded.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Here is my outlandish off season trade proposal. And 100% this team will win the cup. A mix of what I want and what I feel will happen. I did this in 2013 and was about 3 for 6.

RNH for Barrie
Sign Demers
Trade Yakupov for a project D like Colin Miller (52 points in 70 ahl games, 16 points in 42 NHL games)
Sign R.Vrbata 2 years * 3.5 mil per- bet on a bounce back on his #s. Extremely low and unlucky s% numbers
Sign J. McGinn 3 years * 3.5 mil- depth guy
Draft Tkachuk 4th overall
Trade 2nd for A Shaw

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-Drasaitl-Vrbata
Pouliot-Shaw-McGinn
Pakarianen-Letesu-Kassian

Klefbom-Barrie
Sekera-Demers
Davidson-Fayne/Miller

Talbot

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Modified NTC according to generalfanager.

NMC/NTC is only void if the player is traded before the clause kicks in and the new team decides not to honour it when it is supposed to come into effect. If a player waives their NMC to go somewhere else, they still have it once they're traded.

Thanks. I read on HF that he had a NMC but was on my phone. If it's just a NTC then I'd be ok with Bozak as a 3C if we're moving RNH for a D.

I was thinking Flyers might be interested in Hall or 4th? and you guys might be interested in Morin Sanheim Simmonds Schenn etc

If you want Hall or the 4th you're going to have to offer up something that you don't want to part with. Offering us a bunch of stuff you don't mind losing isn't going to interest anyone here. These are major assets you're asking for

Either way, gets us off the hook. The latest wording I've seen is that only full NMC's are auto-protected for expansion. A modified NTC wouldn't qualify.

If a player has a NMC they need to be protected. A 'full' NMC means a player has a NMC and a full NTC. A player either has a NMC or they don't. There are no partial NMCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad