Rumor: Rumors or Proposals Thread | Who Do You Look to Move on From in the Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Aside from the usuals mentioned all the time, Bouchard and Puljujarvi are two I would sell high'ish on.

Just can't trust Bouchard in crucial times defensively and we got Barrie signed for a bit longer.

Zero chance we give up on bouchard. He'll likely be on our #1 PP next year and putting up 50+ points. We'll try and move on from Barrie. I think this is blatantly obvious. Bouchard is only 22, he is going to get better, likely a lot better, in the next few years here. He is also cost controlled for next year, which buys us a bridge year until the ridiculous Keith contract is off the books.

Ideally Keith would retire, as you could just replace him with Broberg and likely not have much of a difference at all. Or better yet with kulak. But Keith isn't going to retire. I think the best we could hope for is that Keith starts having "back issues" this off-season and we can LTIR his last year, but I think even that is unlikely. We are stuck with Holland's mistake for another year.

Reactions: LTIR

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have to agree that goaltending/defense is back on the table as the #1 priority.

We have had zero games stolen for us by Smith in the playoffs. There have been a couple where he did his part to get the win. We however, have had more than 1 game where Smith has either lost the game for us on a bad goal, or nearly cost it for us.

We don't need an elite goaltender to win. There are so few in this league as it is. We just need someone younger, more reliable to pair with Skinner.

Kane is a luxury. I'd love to have him back. But the reality is, we have several cheap potential options to fill the forward group around McDavid, Drai, Hyman, RNH and McLeod. Holloway, Bourgault, Kuzmenko, Yamo or Pulju if they're reasonable, other vets looking to rebound like Kane.
Kane is our 3rd best forward. That’s a massive loss if he walks. Huge part of why we turned the season around and huge part of why we made it to round 3. If you go out and pay assets plus more cap to upgrade in net you may not even end up getting better goaltending than what smith gave us. Goalies are unpredictable. You may end up with similar quality goaltending and no Kane.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ken Holland traded Ethan Bear for Warren Noegoales, he couldn't get value in a trade if his life depended on it b/c he thinks you can't squeeze people in this league. (also Holland defenders need to stop using the hurr durr Bear healthy scratched playoffs narrative it's not true. Bear has been seen in crutches in the Carolina locker room during playoffs)
Bear isn't a Bouchard comparable though so Holland should be able to fetch a lot more very easily.
Bear was sad in last playoffs and was a whopping boy at Koskinen'ish proportion

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bouchard isn't getting traded. Particularly in favor of a 31 year old Tyson Barrie.

The Oilers are in the Conference Finals after spending next to nothing in deadline rentals. This isn't a blow it up scenario.
It wouldn't be in favor of Barrie but more like in favor of a Carter Hart , Chychrun or comparable. But yeh, best to hang onto him for longer term considering we got nothing coming up as RD aside from maybe Desharnais.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I could see something along the lines of Puljujarvi for Crouse straight across. I just get this feeling that Puljujarvi doesn't thrive here with all of the pressure and needs to go to a team where he can just focus on his game. Crouse, while not having as much of an offensive ceiling as Puljujarvi, would be a great fit in our bottom 6 in my opinion.
The question I have about Puljujarvi is quite simply what is he? Or more importantly, what does he think that he is?

I have time for a player with size that can skate. Throughout the playoffs we've come across guys like Nichushkin and Trevor Moore who just shadow skill forwards. It's a very effective tactic in a playoff series. And I'm kind of disappointed that JP hasn't been deployed in that manner.

When he was drafted, he was an offensive driver. He'll never be one in this league. He doesn't have the fine motor skills. And I'm not confident that he knows that.

So this summer will be interesting in regards to where his career is heading with him being arbitration eligible. If he thinks that 36 points is a springboard to his career as a scoring forward, I have a feeling he'll be playing elsewhere next season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The question I have about Puljujarvi is quite simply what is he? Or more importantly, what does he think that he is?

I have time for a player with size that can skate. Throughout the playoffs we've come across guys like Nichushkin and Trevor Moore who just shadow skill forwards. It's a very effective tactic in a playoff series. And I'm kind of disappointed that JP hasn't been deployed in that manner.

When he was drafted, he was an offensive driver. He'll never be one in this league. He doesn't have the fine motor skills. And I'm not confident that he knows that.

So this summer will be interesting in regards to where his career is heading with him being arbitration eligible. If he thinks that 36 points is a springboard to his career as a scoring forward, I have a feeling he'll be playing elsewhere next season.

This is my thoughts as well. I think Pulj can be a player in the bottom six if he transforms his game into a "defensive stalwart who likes to forecheck and pot the odd goal" type of player. Thoughts of being trigger man on the PP (even the 2nd unit) need to be removed from his head. Thoughts of riding shotgun with one of McDrai at evens need to be gone as well. He is a 3rd line forward if he starts to realize that, and if he does realize it, I think he could be a very good third line forward.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is my thoughts as well. I think Pulj can be a player in the bottom six if he transforms his game into a "defensive stalwart who likes to forecheck and pot the odd goal" type of player. Thoughts of being trigger man on the PP (even the 2nd unit) need to be removed from his head. Thoughts of riding shotgun with one of McDrai at evens need to be gone as well. He is a 3rd line forward if he starts to realize that, and if he does realize it, I think he could be a very good third line forward.
I don't even have a problem with him riding shotgun with our skill forwards. Top lines don't need three ultra talented offensive drivers. If anything, our top lines lack that responsibility on defense.

But the points he gets when playing in those roles is a result of who he's playing with more than what he's individually contributing. And his cap hit should reflect that.

Honestly, I'm not confident that's the case though. I have a feeling he's going to be traded this summer.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I don't even have a problem with him riding shotgun with our skill forwards. Top lines don't need three ultra talented offensive drivers. If anything, our top lines lack that responsibility on defense.

But the points he gets when playing in those roles is a result of who he's playing with more than what he's individually contributing. And his cap hit should reflect that.

Honestly, I'm not confident that's the case though. I have a feeling he's going to be traded this summer.

I agree. I think it was going to come down to Pulju or Yamamoto, and Yamamoto is the guy. I would love to see Pulju packaged with Barrie for a something like a legitimately solid right defenseman.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Aside from the usuals mentioned all the time, Bouchard and Puljujarvi are two I would sell high'ish on.

Just can't trust Bouchard in crucial times defensively and we got Barrie signed for a bit longer.

Moving Bouchard because he’s had some rough moments in D in is rookie season is a good way to get hosed in a trade and regret it as early as next season when he puts up 50-60 points and improves defensively (as he has improved already)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The volume draft strategy I view as round 3 to 7. First round and higher second round goaltender picks cover their selection odds quite well. If anything, the higher second round picks and their success reinforces they have been undervalued within the draft marketplace. The whole goalies are voodoo bunkum.

Waldstatt per Bader's vague general high-level information post reinforces high pedigree goaltenders playing at pro level as draft eligible players are most likely to develop into 200+ game NHL goaltenders. The pedigree is established with ability to play beyond peer competition in adult professional leagues and competition.
@McDNicks17 "I'd say the 3rd and 4th round are still good places to target goalies.

That's where the European > CHL thing kicks in it seems. An overwhelming number of success stories in those rounds(Shesterkin, Sorokin, Saros, Merzlikins, Andersen, Huuso, Kahkonen, Vladar, etc) come from overseas."

I think it important to look at time of those picks and geography is a factor. Shesterkin followed the draft breakout of Tampa stepping up to take their elite Russian goaltender in the first round. Russian players and certainly goalies were pushed down in the draft through the KHL 'competitive' time. This was the arrival of the Russian goalie boom and the Rangers, well situated with Russian based scouts, made a wise value pick which has paid off in spades. Andersson out of Denmark which has little history of goaltenders and players. Merzlikins from Latvia the same thing. Love the player but he also needed years of Swiss pro level to help his development. Vladar as a Czech goaltender is also somewhat a unicorn as he made the jump to NHL from a country lagging for a while in player development and most certainly in net. Swedish goaltenders must the same with the Rangers elite goaltender inspiring a generation of goalies with his NHL play, a somewhat rarity despite Pelle Lindberg of the 80's Flyers. Finns had their breakout era when they were a goaltending factory.

Just like the Red Wings mined Russian players when the walls were coming down. The Oilers were early in on Finnish players early 80's. LA mined Slovenia for rare Kopitar gold. A competitive advantage is being early to market and taking calculated risks. All you identified, this payed off well with realistic draft capital in 'new' markets and this key position.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Bear isn't a Bouchard comparable though so Holland should be able to fetch a lot more very easily.
Bear was sad in last playoffs and was a whopping boy at Koskinen'ish proportion
Bouchard being a more valuable asset than Bear just means we can get hosed even harder in a trade. Our GM is Ken Holland, not Steve Yzerman.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I agree. I think it was going to come down to Pulju or Yamamoto, and Yamamoto is the guy. I would love to see Pulju packaged with Barrie for a something like a legitimately solid right defenseman.
If we're moving Puljujarvi, you need to replace Puljujarvi unfortunately. If he's not going to be that big two-way pest, you should go out and find one.

I don't see the defense changing much in the offseason. But the forward group will be since there's a pretty significant group of raises due.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Kane is our 3rd best forward. That’s a massive loss if he walks. Huge part of why we turned the season around and huge part of why we made it to round 3. If you go out and pay assets plus more cap to upgrade in net you may not even end up getting better goaltending than what smith gave us. Goalies are unpredictable. You may end up with similar quality goaltending and no Kane.

I'm not talking about getting a 6m dollar goalie but we need something different.

Honestly even if we do nothing in net, the odds of us keeping Kane are highly unlikely.

Our legit only chance is if SJ is forced to pay his cap.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
$3.2 million Kassian (way too much AAV for what he brings)
$2.75 million Foegele (see Kassian, just doesn't bring enough of a physical, offensive or special team's game)
$4.5 million Barrie (losing his skating and dynamic offensive play, sell now)

That's $10.45 million in cap right there.

I'd also consider moving Puljujarvi if he hasn't been playing injured for much of this season.

I'd look to bring back Kane for around $6 million AAV for 5 or less years, Kulak for around $2.5 million AAV for 3-4 years, Deslauriers for $1.5-$1.8 million AAV for 3 years and then I'd make a big play for one of Klingberg or Manson and Jack Campbell if TO doesn't want him back for less than Koskinen $. If Kane walks I would try to sign Mason Marchment and/or trade for Jake Debrusk or sign the best forwards that would like to get a McDrai push.
Sabres fan here coming in peace.

I was talking with somebody in regards to what Puljujarvis price would be for the Sabres.

I proposed this:

Mattias Samuelsson (Was a rookie but played incredibly well, projects as a top 4 shut down defenseman)

Erik Portillo (6’6 Michigan goalie, could’ve gone pro this year but staying in college one more year)

28th overall pick.

Other Sabres fans will say it’s an overpayment but I’m looking to get the Oilers perspective on this!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not talking about getting a 6m dollar goalie but we need something different.

Honestly even if we do nothing in net, the odds of us keeping Kane are highly unlikely.

Our legit only chance is if SJ is forced to pay his cap.
I disagree we just need to dump one of kass or Foegele for cap and use skinner and smith and we can keep Kane and all the young forwards.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I disagree we just need to dump one of kass or Foegele for cap and use skinner and smith and we can keep Kane and all the young forwards.
Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and McLeod will cost about $6m themselves to sign. Kulak will come in at around $2.5m. The ~$8m we have to work with currently is pretty much spoken for.

Paying Evander Kane is something that just isn't foreseeable at this point. Whatever happens with the Sharks may change that, but a anything beyond $6m long-term is just something outside of what the Oilers can afford to pay.

The way I see the offseason trending at this moment is improving the depth in the bottom six first and foremost. The Oilers also need to address the goaltending because Smith and Skinner covered less than half the season in terms of starts this past season. You can't rely on the two of them to cover the workload.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You move on from Kane because you just cant afford him realistically short or long term. You have to just hope and pray younger cheaper options surprise and make the loss palatable.

Sign Pulj dirt cheap.
Sign Kulak dirt cheap.

Hopefully Keith retires and we can go after a legit starting netminder preferably on the good side of 30... No more 40 years pls.

Id be targeting Arizona for a trade to get Chyckrun. Sell our first to plus Kassian part with a B minus prospect send them Smith. Id even part with Broberg for more of a win now team.

Hyman McDavid Pulj
RNH Draisaitl Yama
Holloway McLeod Borg
Foegle Ryan Shore

Nurse Bouchard
Chyckrun Ceci
Kulak Barrie

Insert good goalie here
Skinner

Obviously better defense but worse forwards but with the potential to get a very good goalie as well. Barrie also could be moved but I really liked Barrie with Kulak under Woodcroft.

It needs to be remembered this is till a relatively young team where players like Bouchard, Pulj, Yama, Holloway, McLeod, Borg, Nurse, and even Ceci could/should have significant improvement. Getting rid of Keith and Smith our team age drops like a rock and kinda puts things into perspective.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and McLeod will cost about $6m themselves to sign. Kulak will come in at around $2.5m. The ~$8m we have to work with currently is pretty much spoken for.

Paying Evander Kane is something that just isn't foreseeable at this point. Whatever happens with the Sharks may change that, but a anything beyond $6m long-term is just something outside of what the Oilers can afford to pay.

The way I see the offseason trending at this moment is improving the depth in the bottom six first and foremost. The Oilers also need to address the goaltending because Smith and Skinner covered less than half the season in terms of starts this past season. You can't rely on the two of them to cover the workload.
You have Klefboms LTIR money plus can offload some cap via trade. Get rid of one of kass or Foegele and maybe save a bit of cap trading Barrie for a different type of D man. It can easily work.

This season was a massive success. My focus would be trying to bring back the same team with a few tweaks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Bouchard isn't getting traded. Particularly in favor of a 31 year old Tyson Barrie.

The Oilers are in the Conference Finals after spending next to nothing in deadline rentals. This isn't a blow it up scenario.
I am happy we did not go all in at the deadline was too high for what we need.

Hopefully Holland gets his head out of his ass and figures out how to get us a legit number 1 goalie

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I am happy we did not go all in at the deadline was too high for what we need.

Hopefully Holland gets his head out of his ass and figures out how to get us a legit number 1 goalie
Need a sure thing like a Markstrom. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You have Klefboms LTIR money plus can offload some cap via trade. Get rid of one of kass or Foegele and maybe save a bit of cap trading Barrie for a different type of D man. It can easily work.

This season was a massive success. My focus would be trying to bring back the same team with a few tweaks.
Klefbom is probably getting moved before the draft. Yes that opens up space, but using it and another roster player's salary to pay for one player shrinks the depth of the roster. Substantially.

It's a difficult position to be in because Kane is everything I could've wanted him to be in Edmonton. But they're not in a position where they can afford to be more top heavy. Even more so when Bouchard has to be paid.

The Oilers need more depth in the middle of their roster. They need a third line that can hold its own and they could use a good three or four guys good for about 15-20 points over a full 82 who don't give the game away when they're out there.

A 40 goal guy who hits, fights and is an all-around badass is awesome to have. But he's too risky and too expensive to sign unless the Sharks ruling helps us in any way.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Klefbom is probably getting moved before the draft. Yes that opens up space, but using it and another roster player's salary to pay for one player shrinks the depth of the roster. Substantially.

It's a difficult position to be in because Kane is everything I could've wanted him to be in Edmonton. But they're not in a position where they can afford to be more top heavy. Even more so when Bouchard has to be paid.

The Oilers need more depth in the middle of their roster. They need a third line that can hold its own and they could use a good three or four guys good for about 15-20 points over a full 82 who don't give the game away when they're out there.

A 40 goal guy who hits, fight and is an all-around badass is awesome to have. But he's too risky and too expensive to sign unless the Sharks ruling helps us in any way.
We just philosophically aren’t on the same page at all. I think Kane gives us more depth in the middle of the roster because we no longer have to play Nuge in the top 6 and rely on both Yamo and Jesse to be top 6 wingers. Having pushed everyone down the lineup and gives us maybe the best top 9 in the nhl. Our 3rd line was great this year when we were finally able to roll McDavid Draisaitl Nuge McLeod down the middle which is in my opinion the best center lineup in the nhl by a decent margin. We were forced to become more top heavy in the playoffs because of a couple of injuries to our #2 forward.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sabres fan here coming in peace.

I was talking with somebody in regards to what Puljujarvis price would be for the Sabres.

I proposed this:

Mattias Samuelsson (Was a rookie but played incredibly well, projects as a top 4 shut down defenseman)

Erik Portillo (6’6 Michigan goalie, could’ve gone pro this year but staying in college one more year)

28th overall pick.

Other Sabres fans will say it’s an overpayment but I’m looking to get the Oilers perspective on this!
The value sounds decent however the goalie could just walk and end up being nothing and while Samuelsson sounds like a solid but unspectacular defensive prospect, we have a guy that is a couple of drafts older but an even bigger hitter and bigger guy in Markus Niemelainen that I'd like to give an opportunity to next season and we also have Philip Broberg that will be ready for NHL action next season. Do you have any forward prospects with size that plays a gritty game that you could add to the 28th overall pick?

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad