Rumor: Rumors or Proposals Thread | Who Do You Look to Move on From in the Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Like last year and the year before and the year before the top 10 needs of this team is:

Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending, Goaltending,

#11 is everything else.

If the Oilers go into next year with Mike Smith and a 100% unproven Skinner, well I was going to say 'so help me' but I thunk I said the same thing the last two years about oilers tending.
Would rather keep Kane or upgrade in net? To me I’d rather keep Kane. Goaltending is fickle smith outplayed Vezna nominee markstrom.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I would fire Kassian into the moon - preferably with an asset sweetener rather than retention.

I wouldn’t sign Archie to mow my lawn.

I would go another year of Foegele.

I would trade Barrie for a Mobile D with a mean streak. I think his contract actually has value. We just happen to have a younger guy who replaces his skill set.

I would try to do a Brooks Orpik on Keith.

Holloway full time and Nimelanen / Broberg advance.

Depending on D Situation maybe even sign Russell at. league minimum. He’s a faithful soldier

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Goaltending over kane, goaltending over anyone not named mcdavid or draistaitl.

It's a tough choice. You say "goaltending" and perhaps think Shesterkin or Vasilievski, but it is not like a goalie like that is either available or affordable. Even when they are, it's still a crapshoot if they are worth their price, see Bobrovsky. Then you have Markstrom, and we know how that went. Are goalies like Kuemper or Francouz that much of an upgrade over Smith? Maybe we are getting swept (still holding an ounce of hope we are not) because of Smith, but we are not losing this series because of him. I just don't know who is available, at a reasonable price, and be a substantial upgrade over Smith.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don’t agree
I have to agree that goaltending/defense is back on the table as the #1 priority.

We have had zero games stolen for us by Smith in the playoffs. There have been a couple where he did his part to get the win. We however, have had more than 1 game where Smith has either lost the game for us on a bad goal, or nearly cost it for us.

We don't need an elite goaltender to win. There are so few in this league as it is. We just need someone younger, more reliable to pair with Skinner.

Kane is a luxury. I'd love to have him back. But the reality is, we have several cheap potential options to fill the forward group around McDavid, Drai, Hyman, RNH and McLeod. Holloway, Bourgault, Kuzmenko, Yamo or Pulju if they're reasonable, other vets looking to rebound like Kane.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Aside from the usuals mentioned all the time, Bouchard and Puljujarvi are two I would sell high'ish on.

Just can't trust Bouchard in crucial times defensively and we got Barrie signed for a bit longer.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Would rather keep Kane or upgrade in net? To me I’d rather keep Kane. Goaltending is fickle smith outplayed Vezna nominee markstrom.
Smith was absolute garbage in the Calgary series. pulled a Koskinen game 1, helped carve us into a deficit game 2 before the offense went off, played decent game 3, pulled a Cloutier game 4, and trolled with 2 goals allowed in 15 seconds game 5. Markstrom was just somehow even worse. If you're gonna compliment Smith at least pick the LA series where he was actually decent.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bouchard is 22 and already better than Barrie at both ends of the ice.
Aside from his shot (which really isn't going in) he isn't better than Barrie on anything. Barrie has unexpectedly been decent defensively all playoffs where Bouchard is the clear weak link defensively aside from Nurse.

Smith was absolute garbage in the Calgary series. pulled a Koskinen game 1, helped carve us into a deficit game 2 before the offense went off, played decent game 3, pulled a Cloutier game 4, and trolled with 2 goals allowed in 15 seconds game 5. Markstrom was just somehow even worse. If you're gonna compliment Smith at least pick the LA series where he was actually decent.
Fake news. Smith bounced back real well after game 1 in CGY series and was a huge part in us getting past them. Easily much better than Markstrom.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Outside of expiring contracts. Guys with some value .... probably JP, and Kass, but we need to bring a little muscle back in otherwise we are back to being a soft team. Keith obviously, but nobody is taking that.

I think Holloway can step into JP's spot at this point. Guys 24 now, and hasn't helped this team in the post-season.

lol

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Aside from his shot (which really isn't going in) he isn't better than Barrie on anything. Barrie has unexpectedly been decent defensively all playoffs where Bouchard is the clear weak link defensively aside from Nurse.

Fake news. Smith bounced back real well after game 1 in CGY series and was a huge part in us getting past them. Easily much better than Markstrom.
It's not hard to outduel the 0.850 save percentage goalie lmfao

Also Barrie plays with Kulak. Bouchard plays with the worst transition defender in the NHL. Barrie looked like crap defensively himself prior to Kulak's arrival. Not saying Bouchard is good defensively or anything b/c he's not but swap their d partners and Barrie will start looking awful too.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Because Barrie has been playing third pairing minutes, put him in Bouchard's spot and he wouldn't look any better against top competition.

What's so amusing.. Puljujarvi has been MIA all playoffs and we would not have skipped a beat if he was a healthy scratch.

lol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's not hard to outduel the 0.850 save percentage goalie lmfao

Also Barrie plays with Kulak. Bouchard plays with the worst transition defender in the NHL. Barrie looked like crap defensively himself prior to Kulak's arrival. Not saying Bouchard is good defensively or anything b/c he's not but swap their d partners and Barrie will start looking awful too.
It's sad when having Kulak as your partner is supposedly a good thing. Shows the state of your squad.
Pretty sure Barrie has been playing a lot more mins than Bouchard most of the playoffs so '3rd pairing' isn't very accurate. We are pretty much icing 3 3rd pairings with Nurse injured.

As for 'lol' guy...enjoy Puljujarvi and his one point playoffs performance.. Forget Holloway, Malone or Shore would have done everything Puljujarvi and likely more based on the whiffs Pulju had.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's sad when having Kulak as your partner is supposedly a good thing. Shows the state of your squad.
Pretty sure Barrie has been playing a lot more mins than Bouchard most of the playoffs so '3rd pairing' isn't very accurate. We are pretty much icing 3 3rd pairings with Nurse injured.

Yeah because Barrie gets gravy PP time over Bouchard. Bouchard has played more 5v5 minutes than Barrie.

As for 'lol' guy...enjoy Puljujarvi and his one point playoffs performance.. Forget Holloway, Malone or Shore would have done everything Puljujarvi and likely more based on the whiffs Pulju had.

I'm not arguing his production has been great but if you think he's done nothing, you don't know how to watch hockey. There's plenty of guys who've contributed less and done more to cost the team than him.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Oh our roster is pure unadulterated filth, I have never said otherwise. Ken Holland is a tumour upon this org that needs to be excised before he pulls off the next Darnell Nurse bridge contract debacle or the next Duncan Keith reverse-cap dump.

As for ice time Barrie is averaging 18:20, Bouchard is averaging 18:08, neither whom take high leverage difficult QoC matchups b/c they both need to be sheltered and Ceci has to do all the heavy lifting by himself. The difference is Barrie is 30 and earning 4.5 while Bouchard is 22 and on an ELC. Trade Barrie and actually open up some cap space so we can go do something about the sad state of the roster.

Reactions: Little Fury

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oh our roster is pure unadulterated filth, I have never said otherwise. Ken Holland is a tumour upon this org that needs to be excised before he pulls off the next Darnell Nurse bridge contract debacle or the next Duncan Keith reverse-cap dump.

As for ice time Barrie is averaging 18:20, Bouchard is averaging 18:08, neither whom take high leverage difficult QoC matchups b/c they both need to be sheltered and Ceci has to do all the heavy lifting by himself. The difference is Barrie is 30 and earning 4.5 while Bouchard is 22 and on an ELC. Trade Barrie and actually open up some cap space so we can go do something about the sad state of the roster.
It's a toss up between trading Barrie and hoping to not get cap back and then adding a decent piece with that capspace vs trading Bouchard for a decent 'piece'.
Our window to win with McDrai is pretty much the next 2 yrs and Ceci can't continue to be the only reliable RD on the team.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It's a toss up between trading Barrie and hoping to not get cap back and then adding a decent piece with that capspace vs trading Bouchard for a decent 'piece'.
Our window to win with McDrai is pretty much the next 2 yrs and Ceci can't continue to be the only reliable RD on the team.
Lets be real with Ken Holland as a GM, we wont be getting a decent piece with Barrie's cap space nor getting a decent piece for Bouchard. Ken Holland trades 2 2nds for Andreas Athanasiou and somehow doesn't get a 1st round pick back along with the Duncan Keith salary dump, then spends the rest of his time flinging around draft picks for useless junk like Green/Ennis/Brassard.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah because Barrie gets gravy PP time over Bouchard. Bouchard has played more 5v5 minutes than Barrie.

I'm not arguing his production has been great but if you think he's done nothing, you don't know how to watch hockey. There's plenty of guys who've contributed less and done more to cost the team than him.
'Production has not been great' may work for McLeod, Yama or Nuge but does not apply to Puljujarvi.
Pathetic is the proper term to describe guys like Pulju , Kassian and Foegele.
Watching Pulju and Foegele handle the puck, shot selection and their decision making has been nothing but cringe worthy.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lets be real with Ken Holland as a GM, we wont be getting a decent piece with Barrie's cap space nor getting a decent piece for Bouchard. Ken Holland trades 2 2nds for Andreas Athanasiou and somehow doesn't get a 1st round pick back along with the Duncan Keith salary dump, then spends the rest of his time flinging around draft picks for useless junk like Green/Ennis/Brassard.
Bouchard has the stats , age, shot and a cheap contract to fetch us a very good piece. RDs with that skillset are very rare and in high demand.
Should easily fetch us a star player like Chychurn or comparable.
Barrie would not get us much more than a depth player and about 2M cap space which will likely be spent on resigning Kulak
It either we hang onto Bouchard hoping he hits his prime in a year n half overcoming his mobility issues or we trade him for someone who would help us win 'now'

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Bouchard is 22 and already better than Barrie at both ends of the ice.

Only thing Bouchard has on Barrie is his shot but when it isn’t going in he is pretty useless.

Only changes really need to be on defence.

X - Ceci
Nurse - X
X - Bouchard

No place for Kulak, unfortunately. Keith retires or LTIRetired and Barrie jettisoned. Lot of work for Holland.

No way, huge mistake to let Kulak go imo

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Smith went 4-0 and had a .922 vs Calgary in games 2-5. He was just really bad in game 1 although I swear we might have actually won that one had he stayed in.

Reactions: oilers'72

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Bouchard has the stats , age, shot and a cheap contract to fetch us a very good piece. RDs with that skillset are very rare and in high demand.
Should easily fetch us a star player like Chychurn or comparable.
Barrie would not get us much more than a depth player and about 2M cap space which will likely be spent on resigning Kulak
It either we hang onto Bouchard hoping he hits his prime in a year n half overcoming his mobility issues or we trade him for someone who would help us win 'now'
Ken Holland traded Ethan Bear for Warren Noegoales, he couldn't get value in a trade if his life depended on it b/c he thinks you can't squeeze people in this league. (also Holland defenders need to stop using the hurr durr Bear healthy scratched playoffs narrative it's not true. Bear has been seen in crutches in the Carolina locker room during playoffs)

Reactions: Beerfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad