Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Throw Connor a Frickin Bone Ken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
I like AA’s speed and goal scoring ability off the rush but that’s about it. Plus as I have mentioned, Holland went through a nightmare negotiation with Darren Ferris on AA’s last deal, I doubt he wants to trade for him just to do it all over again.

If that's the case, maybe this also majorly puts the Hall as a UFA to Edmonton to rest as well..

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yup. The prices usually go way down by the deadline.

I remember we were excited about the seller's market when Maroon was being shopped, but by the time he was moved, almost every buyer already had their guys, so there was basically no market for him.

What was annoying with that was Chiarelli was so hell bent on getting an older prospect that he actually seemingly wanted Dudek as much as the pick. Probably could of easily got a 2nd if he wasn't dumb.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm a little against the grain I guess.. but I think a solid puck moving dman would do this team the most good.

They need someone with a shot from the point as they STILL don't really have that element after how many years?

Was Souray 90 years ago the last time they had a legit point blast option.

I think Bouchard will have that... but I don't know if the Oilers are ready to bring him up soon or not (I probably would).

That would be my focus though... find someone with a decent point shot to add that extra element to the team which I think could legitimately put this team over the top because it's much harder for teams to just focus on McDavid/Drai if they also have a bomb option from the point on D.

I'd even go with an aging 2nd rate option... doesn't have to be a top tier expensive guy (which they can't really afford anyway).
I agree still. The trick is figuring out who to trade for that Dman. Probably have to send a D back

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
"we need some grit and sandpaper going into playoffs, we need a rugged proven playoff performer... lets acquire Ilya Kovalchuk"

---- said no one ever ffs.

He almost lead the Devils to a Stanley Cup. It was years ago but the hate Kovalchuk gets in insane.

Look at what he’s doing in Montreal. He’s a passionate player and he does care about playing and winning.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I like AA’s speed and goal scoring ability off the rush but that’s about it. Plus as I have mentioned, Holland went through a nightmare negotiation with Darren Ferris on AA’s last deal, I doubt he wants to trade for him just to do it all over again.
5 men up ....AA first guy on that train.....5 men back.....AA still looking for his ticket as they score on us....by game 5 or 6 ....permanently in the dog house....he'll be barking at the trains as they go by......

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Theoretically who do you bring in though and where to they slot in? 2nd rate offensive defensemen usually lack on the defensive side of the puck which I don't think is what the Oilers would want/need.

Well ideally I'd probably just go with Bouchard as a late season call-up and then head into the playoffs with him as a "black ace"... and plug him into the lineup (maybe running with 7 dmen in some games) to add an extra offensive dimension... especially from the point.

I wouldn't want to expend much on outside assets... maybe a Del Zotto (yes I know he's nothing spectacular)... but something added in that point shot role to add that element to the blue line.

Mike Green would be decent as well if his cap hit wasn't so huge (yes I know he's declined a lot) but again... it's a specific role that I think the team needs and with that added element the team overall could get quite a boost.

DeAngelo would have been a decent pickup as well... but he looks to have caught a little too much on fire offensively so he's likely too pricey to pick up now.

Basically I'd be targeting a dman (with some offensive aptitude) from a non-playoff team who will likely not be re-signing that player and would dump them for at most a middling pick or a B/C prospect.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Valid point.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Detroit is a sea of red in plus/minus because the team is a collective tire fire this year... so I don't think you can really focus on that too deeply.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What does the city of Edmonton and Valtteri Filppula have in common this year?

They've both reached -40!

It's destiny obviously. :)

AA and Filpulla as a package deal to take the team "over the top".

James Neal is on board as he won't have the worst plus/minus on the team any longer.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Well ideally I'd probably just go with Bouchard as a late season call-up and then head into the playoffs with him as a "black ace"... and plug him into the lineup (maybe running with 7 dmen in some games) to add an extra offensive dimension... especially from the point.

I wouldn't want to expend much on outside assets... maybe a Del Zotto (yes I know he's nothing spectacular)... but something added in that point shot role to add that element to the blue line.

Mike Green would be decent as well if his cap hit wasn't so huge (yes I know he's declined a lot) but again... it's a specific role that I think the team needs and with that added element the team overall could get quite a boost.

DeAngelo would have been a decent pickup as well... but he looks to have caught a little too much on fire offensively so he's likely too pricey to pick up now.

Basically I'd be targeting a dman (with some offensive aptitude) from a non-playoff team who will likely not be re-signing that player and would dump them for at most a middling pick or a B/C prospect.

Under the assumption that at the cost we would be bringing in a bottom pairing defender, I just don't see the value in giving up assets to bring in a rental to play under 15 minutes a night as a slightly better option than Benning/Jones offensively

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think they'll let the market play out a bit and see who gets left without a dance partner. Every year a GM waits too long and ends up taking what they can get right at the end.

Maybe hedge your bets and get a guy like Ennis on the cheap. He's putting up some decent numbers this year, local guy who hasn't been in the playoffs much so he'll likely be excited to come in and make an impact. He's got enough speed and skill to compliment McDavid and you could pair them with either Kassian or Neal depending if you want a forechecker or a finisher.

He'd be dirt cheap to acquire and a cheap cap hit, which considering Smith is likely taking home an additional 1-1.5M in bonuses I'd imagine they'd rather not have that tacked on to next years cap.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Under the assumption that at the cost we would be bringing in a bottom pairing defender, I just don't see the value in giving up assets to bring in a rental to play under 15 minutes a night as a slightly better option than Benning/Jones offensively

I would agree if the cost is too high... and yes the team may have enough if one of Bouchard/Persson (or collectively guys like Klefbom/Benning/Jones/Nurse/Bear and even Larsson can step up and provide more punch from the blueline).

Point being... that big threat bomb from the blueline is something this team needs (and generally lacks) and it would be beneficial to have that extra dimension so when Drai/McD are covered in games, you still have that extra element for opposing teams to worry about. At a certain point opposing defenses are stretched too thin and they can't cover all the threats and then it's basically a tipping point where the sum is larger than the parts.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
He almost lead the Devils to a Stanley Cup. It was years ago but the hate Kovalchuk gets in insane.

Look at what he’s doing in Montreal. He’s a passionate player and he does care about playing and winning.

Weird reasoning. Corey Crawford led the Hawks to the Cup 2 years later, I'm sure he wouldn't be too expensive to acquire either.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Pageau + Boedker + Namestnikov (some salary retained from Ottawa)
for
1st + Lagesson + Ganger + Manning

Boedker-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Namestnikov-Pageau-Chiasson
Archibald-Sheahan-Nygard
Khaira/Haas

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
for

Boedker-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Archibald-Sheahan-Nygard
Khaira/Haas

That might not get you Pageau alone. His price is going to be driven up because of multiple suitors.

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
for

Boedker-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Archibald-Sheahan-Nygard
Khaira/Haas

Boedker doesn't improve our top-6 any more than Archibald or Chiasson. Except he plays softer than those 2.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Huh?

Granlund is a UFA.
One of the few marquee UFAs I'd be interested in. There's a good chance he consider re-signing and he fits in well age wise with our group.

I think if you offered Nashville a similar return as Dallas gave for Zuccarello last season, you could get him in the instance Nashville slips back a bit.

Conditional picks based on playoff success, perhaps a small bonus if he re-signed.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Holland should be fired if he can’t swing a trade before the deadline. /s
He can trade matt benning for a 3rd. That is the only trade he should make. Team is winning so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This team for once have secondary scoring, solid D, and winning without mcdavid. Why the hell should he unload anything unless it is Larsson straight up for pietrangelo.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Weird reasoning. Corey Crawford led the Hawks to the Cup 2 years later, I'm sure he wouldn't be too expensive to acquire either.

Way to take that out of context. I never said Kovalchuk is going to come in and lead us to the finals. I was referencing to the fact that calling him a poor playoff performer isn’t true. He has 27 points in 32 playoff games.

He’s not as good as he once was but he would still be an addition and help this team out. Just look at what he’s doing in Montreal and how much the fan base and his teammates like him.

He makes next to nothing. If you can add him at a reasonable deal, you do it, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad