Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Throw Connor a Frickin Bone Ken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid stuck with a combo of Kassian,Neal and Archibald as linemates was -6 with 2ES points in last 6GP. I'm sure there is pressure on Holland to get him some help.
Neal doesn't belong in top 6.

This is re the post claiming Holland has no pressure to add scoring help

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
giphy.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
@Mr Positive
Tampa didn't trade for a rental. Coleman has an extra year left, and they vastly overpaid but they can afford to vastly overpay for a shorter term fix because they are in Cup or bust mode and they are littered with organizational depth so losing Foote and a 1st is a drop in the bucket for them.

If the Oilers traded Lavoie+2nd for Toffoli, that's their best forward prospect (who probably wouldn't even be top 3 in most organizations) and given up a 2nd in addition for a one year run with Toffoli only to see that hole open up again in the offseason when he walks. It doesn't make any sense for the Oilers to make a move like that for a rental, none.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
Maybe it isn't a winger to play with 97 that this team needs. Maybe they need a winger to play with 93 and 56.

my concern is that when 97 returns he's going to taking ice away from the hottest player in hockey.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
it's fun to be in the race and talking about acquiring rentals, rather than if we'll win the lottery and draft picks.

indeed ! we should be past the thrill of draft picks and concentrating now on actually winning ! o_O

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Holland is smart not to being paying these prices. These GM's are out of control. Wait for a guy to shake lose closer to the deadline as these maniacs blow their wad on decent players. The Oilers could get twice the player for prices like that at the draft, no need to panic when even Nuge is only in his mid 20's.

Reactions: oilynutz

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I think Holland will grab someone at the trade deadline, but it will be more equivalent to dumpster diving. The team needs to be in a stronger position before making any big moves come deadline day.

A Kovalchuk type player is maximum we'll see. Maybe a 2nd round pick will be the most you'd see Holland moving. I doubt Puljujävi is put into any type of deal this time around. He's more likely to be moved in the off season if moved at all.

If the Oilers were in the top 4 or 5 teams in the league then it might be prudent to look at bigger fish for trade deadline. They're no where near there atm.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
McDavid stuck with a combo of Kassian,Neal and Archibald as linemates was -6 with 2ES points in last 6GP. I'm sure there is pressure on Holland to get him some help.
Neal doesn't belong in top 6.

This is re the post claiming Holland has no pressure to add scoring help

McDavid and Neal are friends and it was heavily implied McDavid was part of why we traded for him.

It was also very heavily implied McDavid and the team wanted Kassian as his winger for the next 4 years.

Neal 5.75 (6.5 really) McDavid 12.5 Kassian 3.2 = 21.45 to 22.2 tied up for our top line the next 3+ years.

The team without doubt with McDavid's blessing has their top line for the foreseeable future.

Kassian and Neal at those prices are top 6 wingers or bust. Not to mention their skill set.

Both will have stints in the bottom 6 but make no mistake if those guys are not being used in a top 6 role primarily the Oilers are mismanaging their cap situation.

The only way you get away from using those players outside the top 6 is if you get lucky with talented rookies on bargain rfa deals... like Benson and Yamamoto.

Which you don't get unless you keep your picks and build via the draft.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
McDavid and Neal are friends and it was heavily implied McDavid was part of why we traded for him.

It was also very heavily implied McDavid and the team wanted Kassian as his winger for the next 4 years.

Neal 5.75 (6.5 really) McDavid 12.5 Kassian 3.2 = 21.45 to 22.2 tied up for our top line the next 3+ years.

The team without doubt with McDavid's blessing has their top line for the foreseeable future.

Kassian and Neal at those prices are top 6 wingers or bust. Not to mention their skill set.

Both will have stints in the bottom 6 but make no mistake if those guys are not being used in a top 6 role primarily the Oilers are mismanaging their cap situation.

The only way you get away from using those players outside the top 6 is if you get lucky with talented rookies on bargain rfa deals... like Benson and Yamamoto.

Which you don't get unless you keep your picks and build via the draft.

Mcdavid also once said his ideal linemate would be milan lucic, until he got to play with him.
Besides that, what does "heavily implied" even mean? Do you have some quotes or anything to back up Mcdavid somehow giving us the idea that if he could choose to play with anyone, it would be Kassian and Neal? I understand they're popular in the room, and I'm sure Mcdavid probably enjoys having them around, but he knows as well as anyone that no line in the NHL lasts very long. He also doesn't seem like the kind of person to demand linemates. He wants the team to win, or you would have seen him pouting when they took drai off his line and he started looking like the second best player on the team.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Although I want Holland to acquire a winger, I think the majority of us can agree he will use his two biggest assets (Puljujarvi, 1st round pick) at or near the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad