Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Evidently, you're both wrong. I'm sure Holland knows that if he goes in to next year without adding another top 6 winger, better goalie tandem, no replacement for Klef and no shuffling of the bottom six that his days are numbered.

Top 6 winger
1A goalie
Top 4D

Shouldn't cost more than ~$24M. Of course, if Larsson and RNH come back at an overpay and he plans to pay Nurse $9M + and Pulju $5M+ then he'll need more cap for next season but those are both overpays

Bob is shilling to downplay offseason moves so the fans can be 'pleasantly surprised' when the above 3 items are addressed at minimum. There won't be an entire roster overhaul (and shouldn't be), but there will be personnel in and out.
At bare minimum
Top 6 left wing.2 legit 3rd liners, Klefbom replacement. Starting goalie

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I don't believe it's necessary to move futures. Holland values them because he prioritizes development and sustainability.

Is the difference between Buchnevich and a guy like Granlund, Tatar or whomever worth the exorbitant cost you were willing to pay there?

Ideally Holland has an answer on Klefbom prior to expansion, makes a decision on Barrie then goes from there. Neal gets bought out, Koskinen gets traded and the UFAs get re-signed.

You probably see a scoring winger signed, a split-starting G, a top 4 LD based on Klefbom's health and maybe a bottom six C assuming McLeod goes back to Bakersfield.

Benson and Marody are likely NHLers and Holloway probably gets a long look in training camp. I can't see Holland using cap on depth guys like Janmark or Armia. If anything, you might see a few guys get camp invites to compete for those roles.
Well the main thing is Buchnevich is 26 and will only turn 27 after next season ends. He would therefore fit quite well into the core and had a lot of complimentary attributes the main concern with him is what he signs for as an RFA.

Tatar is going to be 31 years old early next season and Granlund is 29 so a few years older (and is 3 years removed from his peak season). In a roundabout way yes spending assets from a crap shoot draft where we are picking mid-late first could be worth it for the right piece i.e. Buchnevich.

Holland stated in his presser yesterday that they likely wont know anything new on Klef until September. So he can safely exposed to the expansion draft.

One of our biggest issues is our depth scoring and as such does it really make sense to be gifting spots to Marody and Benson when they have not proven that they can play at the NHL level and could not supplant any of our lackluster depth the past year - I do not think either have the speed to play in the NHL. So yes I wouldnt hate trying to sign two depth players.

Reactions: 780il

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bear + Benson for Dylan Strome

Sign UFAs Jamie Oleksiak, Zach Bogosian, Alex Galchenyuk, Brandon Sutter

Klefbom for Kuemper (Arizona protects Adin Hill, either gets to play Klefbom or their management saves money on LTIR)

Strome McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Galchenyuk
Yamamoto Sutter Kassian
Shore Khaira Archibald
McLeod

Nurse Larsson
Oleksiak Bouchard
Lagesson Bogosian
Russell

Kuemper
Smith

Kassian needs to pull his head out of his ass and actually play hard and that 3rd line could score some points. Yamamoto/Galchenyuk can switch spots based on how things are going.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Klefbom for Kuemper (Arizona protects Adin Hill, either gets to play Klefbom or their management saves money on LTIR)

RNH Draisaitl Galchenyuk
Yamamoto Sutter Kassian
Shore Khaira Archibald
McLeod

Nurse Larsson
Oleksiak Bouchard
Lagesson Bogosian
Russell

Kuemper
Smith

Kassian needs to pull his head out of his ass and actually play hard and that 3rd line could score some points. Yamamoto/Galchenyuk can switch spots based on how things are going.
I don't mind it overall. That defense though just seems like one that won't be the best at moving the puck, especially if Nurse or Bouchard go down. I'd replace Lagesson with someone that can move the puck

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I don't see it. There's at least a dozen better left-handed defensemen available.

Koskinen could legitimately be the second best goalie available compared to a group headlined by Allen($2.9M) and Holtby($4.3M).

Seattle can sign UFAs.

Allen is better than Koskinen.

Adin Hill is a better option than Koskinen.

Dallas will have to expose 1 of Bishop or Khudobin.

We already heard the rumour they like Chris Driedger, they could take him and try to sign him.

Vegas hoarded D-men in expansion so they could trade some or have depth options.

boatsNhossa

Jun 24, 2015
Do we start all proposals with klefbom ltir(assuming retired) + 1 of neal or koskinen for blank

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

RNH Draisaitl Galchenyuk
Yamamoto Sutter Kassian
Shore Khaira Archibald
McLeod

Nurse Larsson
Oleksiak Bouchard
Lagesson Bogosian
Russell

Kuemper
Smith

Not bad overall. Not the biggest fan of only 2 d that can pass but oh well

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Seattle can sign UFAs.

Allen is better than Koskinen.

Adin Hill is a better option than Koskinen.

Dallas will have to expose 1 of Bishop or Khudobin.

Vegas hoarded D-men in expansion so they could trade some or have depth options.

No one will take Koskinen at 4.5 million. Even if we retain half you could get a better backup for under 2 million.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Here:

Kassian + 2021 1st + Lavoie + 2023 3rd for Buchnevich
Buyout Neal
Trade Benson + Maksimov to Seattle to take Koskinen

The rest are all free agent signings or internal RFA signings that you can argue the merits of the dollar figure but either way we still have a ton of cap. Our 3rd line has been overhauled and we still have about $6M of cap space as a buffer for Klefbom if he cannot be LTIR'd or for if the contracts I have down here arent rich enough. When Holloway is truly ready in 2022-2023 after a year in the AHL we can bump Janmark to C and him and McLoed can be 3a and 3b.

upload_2021-5-27_16-18-21.png

Reactions: 780il

Macblender

May 5, 2014
No one will take Koskinen at 4.5 million. Even if we retain half you could get a better backup for under 2 million.
I've been pretty obsessed with the expansion draft and the Oilers have quite a few things going for them that I don't think a lot of fans think of.

Seattle needs to take 20/30 contracts that have term. This implies two things:
1) RFA's like Kharia, Kahun, Shore, Marody and Benson aren't high priority.
2) Drafting a UFA is not ideal. RNH, Larsson and Barrie are all UFA's.

Seattle will be flush with good defenceman.
1) Seattle will have a lot of defenceman available that are better than Jones/Lagesson.
2) Jones/Lagesson have to clear waivers making making them either trade bait or not worth picking.
3) If Klefbom is exposed, I don't think Seattle wants to risk paying him 8.3M to never play a game for them.

On top of that, Seattle needs to have at least 14 forwards on their roster but only 9 defenceman. This implies:
1) All things being equal they will prefer forwards over defenceman.
2) On teams without a lot of great options they will take a forward.

I think it would be really smart of the Oilers to move Kyle Turris to a team like New Jersey that needs a forward that meets the exposure requirements. He only has slightly negative value with his low cap hit so maybe you trade him and a 6th for a 7th. New Jersey has lots of cap space and the only forward that would meet the exposure conditions if signed is Nathan Bastian.

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot that Seattle would be interested in. They aren't taking Koskinen, Neal or Kassian without a sweetner. When you look at our list independently I think it would come down to fringe players like Kahun (RFA), Marody (RFA), Lagesson (isn't as good as other D they can take and needs to clear waivers) and Stalock (didnt play a single game for the Oilers coming off a heart condition from covid).

When you compare our list to the rest of the league, I'm not sure Seattle will want to use 10 RFA/UFA spots on a guy like Kahun when they can get guys with more potential (Dunn, Forsling, Nolan, Gauthier, Bastian, etc) and/or don't have to clear waivers (Borgen, Clague, Mahura, etc.) You would think this level of player would be found in free agency without any issues.

View attachment 439696

McDoused post articulates pretty sound reasoning for why none of our exposed assets are actually that attractive to Seattle so we very well may be in an opportune position relative to other teams to have Seattle consider one of our poor contracts and still get a guy they would have chosen.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This Blackhawks writer is proposing Dylan Strome for Ethan Bear

Three Reasons The Blackhawks Should Trade Dylan Strome

I'd do it, even though the optics kinda suck (team rallying around Bear).

These ultra soft, perimeter skilled guys like Tatar and Strome are not the answer. If people don't like Nuge, they'd hate these guys. They would help supply some secondary scoring but those two are exactly the type of players that disappear in the playoffs.

I think Holland should be looking more at guys like Hyman and Coleman who are physical and get to the tough area of the ice, win lots of puck battles and both PK as well. Coleman might not be a true top 6 guy but damn do they need a player or two like that in this lineup. My one worry is that those type of players tend to decline faster than most as they enter their 30s so buyer beware on a long term deal.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, with Holland openly saying that a buyout this offseason is "very possible," it's pretty obvious Holland is looking to make big additions to this roster. Stauffer is out to lunch.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Here:

Kassian + 2021 1st + Lavoie + 2023 3rd for Buchnevich
Buyout Neal
Trade Benson + Maksimov to Seattle to take Koskinen

The rest are all free agent signings or internal RFA signings that you can argue the merits of the dollar figure but either way we still have a ton of cap. Our 3rd line has been overhauled and we still have about $6M of cap space as a buffer for Klefbom if he cannot be LTIR'd or for if the contracts I have down here arent rich enough. When Holloway is truly ready in 2022-2023 after a year in the AHL we can bump Janmark to C and him and McLoed can be 3a and 3b.

View attachment 439720
I really like it, fits almost exactly with what I want us to do this summer. Would just prefer to bump Yamo down a line and give a 1 year deal to a guy better than Armia. After that one year, said player cashes out and we get to put Holloway into the top 6. Or, keep Yamo in the top 6 and sign Martinez instead of Oleksiak.

I like both Janmark and Goodrow as 3lw options, Goodrow brings a more well rounded game while Janmarks the more skilled player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
These ultra soft, perimeter skilled guys like Tatar and Strome are not the answer. If people don't like Nuge, they'd hate these guys. They would help supply some secondary scoring but those two are exactly the type of players that disappear in the playoffs.

I think Holland should be looking more at guys like Hyman and Coleman who are physical and get to the tough area of the ice, win lots of puck battles and both PK as well. Coleman might not be a true top 6 guy but damn do they need a player or two like that in this lineup. My one worry is that those type of players tend to decline faster than most as they enter their 30s so buyer beware on a long term deal.

That's fair.

I'd like Ovechkin, but realistically getting wingers that score and are gritty is hard.

Strome is 6'3 at least and has played with McDavid before.

If you get Strome, maybe you look at Hyman instead of Nugent Hopkins. Coleman is hard because he's a Florida guy who's American, Canada is a tough sell.

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
These ultra soft, perimeter skilled guys like Tatar and Strome are not the answer. If people don't like Nuge, they'd hate these guys.

Hey, I like Nuge, and I also think softer skill players can be a major part of playoff success (I think of Backstrom andKuznetsov, for example). But you need to surround them with bigger players who can do the dirty work. I of course am (and always will be) in the Keep Nuge camp, but also think we need to add size and physicality. So I can only imagine what the people who think Nuge is too soft would think of a guy like Tatar.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'd like Ovechkin, but realistically getting wingers that score and are gritty is hard.

Strome is 6'3 at least and has played with McDavid before.

If you get Strome, maybe you look at Hyman instead of Nugent Hopkins.

Or maybe you keep Nuge and go after Hyman. Why do we need Strome?

Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Nuge-Draisaitl-Yamamoto/X

Reactions: Proko88 and XXIV97

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi

He's available at possibly a reasonable cost, McDavid's best friend, bigger than RNH has a faster shot release. There's a fair chance he's a better McWinger than RNH. 4 years younger also.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We have the worst bottom 6 in the league by a decent margin. If all we do is swap out one of those guys and hope rookies worse than McLeod are going to be legit third liners we boomed.

The only guy who has any place on a third line in the NHL is Yamamoto or Kassian. If we are finding 2 LEGIT third liners than sure the 4th like can be scraps.
There's no guarantee a complete overhaul of the bottom six bares you better results. Poor performance of Edmonton's depth lines isn't a new occurrence. It's been bad for nearly a decade due to poor development.

It doesn't matter how much money you throw at it. For a team with limited depth, the good players generally push the bad ones down. And when you saw guys like Kahun fall out of the top six, they didn't thrive with lesser minutes, they saw time in the pressbox.

It's a checking line. They need to be effective on the forecheck, on the cycle and limiting quality chances against. You're not likely to see a bunch of money thrown at it.
And the fact of the matter is that group isn't good enough. The best case if they go down this road is that Benson, Mcleod and Marody make miracles happen in their first NHL seasons.

Archibald and Turris are buriable. Khaira and Shore should be jettisoned.
There's nothing stopping them from making some significant adds except the vain hope there's room to grow with the current group.
They are buriable, but they're also going to get chances to play in the NHL in training camp. And guys like that are going to have a leg up on anyone you bring in. Archibald and Khaira particularly, who are very effective PKers and quality fore-checkers.

Maybe your third line improves by shifting Yamamoto down, but that fourth line is probably going to have some familiar names on it.

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman played over 70% of his minutes as 3rd wheel to a combo of Tavares/Matthews/Nylander/Marner this last season. I think whoever overpays him is going to regret it as there is no guarantee he can transpose his results somewhere else. For me he is one the most likely players this offseason to be considered a bad contract by mid way through next season.

Reactions: ujju2

Macblender

May 5, 2014
There's no guarantee a complete overhaul of the bottom six bares you better results. Poor performance of Edmonton's depth lines isn't a new occurrence. It's been bad for nearly a decade due to poor development.

It doesn't matter how much money you throw at it. For a team with limited depth, the good players generally push the bad ones down. And when you saw guys like Kahun fall out of the top six, they didn't thrive with lesser minutes, they saw time in the pressbox.

It's a checking line. They need to be effective on the forecheck, on the cycle and limiting quality chances against. You're not likely to see a bunch of money thrown at it.

Our issue with depth is we have such big holes in even our top 6 that we have guys who should be playing on the 3rd or 4th lines of NHL teams playing in our top 6.

We could realistically fix our 1LW spot this offseason and focus on our third line and have much better results for secondary scoring this coming year. I dont buy the thought process that it is a checking line dont throw money at it ideology as we see so many teams that have that scoring depth.

Edit: A Neal buyout alone would let us at two third line players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I think those ultra-soft skill guys are better value adds and more likely to give you full season production. If you need tough, physical, gritty middle of the roster types, you trade for them at the deadline when you have better cost certainty. They're likelier to get hurt, which makes giving them term a risky endeavor.

We've got Kassian, Khaira and Archibald on the roster now and the majority are willing to move on from them. Where's the certainty that other guys come in here and succeed?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For those talking about Hyman--we will be at buying HIGH point. The guy has had 4 pretty good seasons in a row and will either take a home town discount to stay with the leafs or he will try to max out his leverage as a UFA. He has had 2 20 goal season in the last 3 years and if we had played an 82 game season this year...he would have gotten 25 goals.

My guess is that if he goes on the market, his starting point is 5.5 to 6 a year for 7 years--someone will give it to him.

We need to focus on projects and guys who look to rebound

We also need to prioritize what is our top priority

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hey, I like Nuge, and I also think softer skill players can be a major part of playoff success (I think of Backstrom andKuznetsov, for example). But you need to surround them with bigger players who can do the dirty work. I of course am (and always will be) in the Keep Nuge camp, but also think we need to add size and physicality. So I can only imagine what the people who think Nuge is too soft would think of a guy like Tatar.

I think the issue is the makeup of the forward core. You have McDavid, Draisaitl and persumably Nuge. They're all skill guys who play a perimeter, rush heavy game. I think they need to supplement those guys with a different mix like Holloway 2-3 years from now but since he's a ways off from making a real impact, they're going to need to bring in a few guys who play a more in your face, heavy physical game. Washington, for instance, has Wilson, Oshie and a few other guys like that who play a heavier game to compliment the high skilled guys.

I wouldn't hate the addition of guys like Tatar, Hoffman or Strome depending on term with the previous two and what's given up for Strome but you're depending a lot on "pretty plays" to score goals which becomes a lot tougher in the playoffs if you're entire forward core is skilled, perimeter guys.

The tricky thing with guys like Hyman and Coleman is term. Hyman in particular might be looking to cash in coming off of a good season so I'd be skeptical about giving too much term and in order to sign free agents off the open market, you generally have to top other offers so it's a slippery slope. We might have to depend on guys that have had relatively tough years (like Barrie) to sign short term deals here to build value. Maybe Hoffman as an example or maybe Tatar who had a bit of a down year.

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad