Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah I don't think anyone is "hustling" Seattle.

If you want to get rid of Koskinen and/or Neal without buyout, you either have to

1) Retain salary (wouldn't be worth it in Neal's case IMO)
2) Deal the 1st or the 2022 2nd minimum
3) Take money back

Kassian might be an easier move due to the grit factor but even then, it's a tougher sell from my eyes.

If Kassian is going to cost an asset or retention to move I'd rather pass. Neal and Koskinen are worth either to get rid of IMO. Kassian might be a serviceable bottom 6 guy if he looks at all like he did since his return to the lineup. The other two are done-zo

Reactions: belair

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don't disagree at all part of our issue was we had zero depth for stronger secondary pieces to play with. Hence why I am of the opinion that we need to be adding to our forward core not subtracting.

Get rid of dead weight in Neal, Kassian, Turris and swing again to add a solid depth piece or two. I am looking at Janmark and Armia personally as solid options.

My ideal world right now would be:

Buyout Neal
Resign Nuge (Reasonable deal - argument for why is in the Nuge thread)
Try and hussle Seattle into taking Koskinen for something reasonable aka Jones/Benson + pick

2021 1st + Kassian + Lavoie + 2022 3rd for Buchnevich
Sign Joel Armia
Sign 1 more depth player (Janmark etc) - Avoid Hyman he will be much too expensive

Buchnevich - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Drai - Yamo
Janmark - Mcleod - Armia
Shore - Khaira - Archibald
I don't believe it's necessary to move futures. Holland values them because he prioritizes development and sustainability.

Is the difference between Buchnevich and a guy like Granlund, Tatar or whomever worth the exorbitant cost you were willing to pay there?

Ideally Holland has an answer on Klefbom prior to expansion, makes a decision on Barrie then goes from there. Neal gets bought out, Koskinen gets traded and the UFAs get re-signed.

You probably see a scoring winger signed, a split-starting G, a top 4 LD based on Klefbom's health and maybe a bottom six C assuming McLeod goes back to Bakersfield.

Benson and Marody are likely NHLers and Holloway probably gets a long look in training camp. I can't see Holland using cap on depth guys like Janmark or Armia. If anything, you might see a few guys get camp invites to compete for those roles.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we get Dylan Strome I think McDavid is comfortable enough having his Erie running mate that we can finally keep McDavid and Draisaitl apart.

Strome McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto/other

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There was plenty of context behind the Eberle trade and there were a lot of balls in the air at the time in all likelihood.

With hindsight available to us now, that trade could've been a lot more successful for us if we possessed a coach willing to give a talented Strome a chance.

I mean anyone with a functioning brain could have told them that Strome was having a run of bad luck and was due for positive regression, but they didn't have anyone like that around.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Kassian is going to cost an asset or retention to move I'd rather pass. Neal and Koskinen are worth either to get rid of IMO. Kassian might be a serviceable bottom 6 guy if he looks at all like he did since his return to the lineup. The other two are done-zo
There's a good chance Kassian gets another shot in the top six next year. Yamamoto seemed to breathe some life into his game when he was moved off of it.

Reactions: Faelko

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mean anyone with a functioning brain could have told them that Strome was having a run of bad luck and was due for positive regression, but they didn't have anyone like that around.
I'm talking even before then. They were so focused on making him a 3C that they gave him literally zero opportunity to be the scoring forward he was drafted as.

Even something like this in hindsight...

McDavid - Strome - Kassian

...was too out there for McLellan to attempt. I hate coaches.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

If you want to get rid of Koskinen and/or Neal without buyout, you either have to

1) Retain salary (50% probably)
3) Take money back

Kassian might be an easier move due to the grit factor but even then, it's a tougher sell from my eyes.

I feel like we're in a better spot than most teams to hustle them a bit.

We don't really have anything worth taking outside Jones/Lagesson and there's guys like De Haan, Graves, Skjei, Dunn, Soucy, Chiarot, Dermott, Mahura, Bean, etc. available on the left side.

Would something like Marody or Benson be tempting enough for them to take Kassian or Koskinen rather than just taking a guy like Jones/Lagesson that probably doesn't make their roster and ends up on waivers?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't believe it's necessary to move futures. Holland values them because he prioritizes development and sustainability.

Is the difference between Buchnevich and a guy like Granlund, Tatar or whomever worth the exorbitant cost you were willing to pay there?

Ideally Holland has an answer on Klefbom prior to expansion, makes a decision on Barrie then goes from there. Neal gets bought out, Koskinen gets traded and the UFAs get re-signed.

You probably see a scoring winger signed, a split-starting G, a top 4 LD based on Klefbom's health and maybe a bottom six C assuming McLeod goes back to Bakersfield.

Benson and Marody are likely NHLers and Holloway probably gets a long look in training camp. I can't see Holland using cap on depth guys like Janmark or Armia. If anything, you might see a few guys get camp invites to compete for those roles.

If that's all they do, this team is bound for another early tee time next spring. They need bottom sixers who can actually move the needle the right way and that means pending assets, whether futures or cash money.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

1) Retain salary (50% probably)
3) Take money back

It's not really hustling. Send them a 2nd or a 3rd and a guy like Jones to Take Koskinen and they make out like bandits.

They aren't going to have any expensive contracts really so cap won't be an issue. Teams are going to do whatever they can so they don't lose a good goalie. Outside of UFA Koskinen is probably one of the better goalies they can snag and only has a year left. Free assets for taking him I could easily see as doable

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I feel like we're in a better spot than most teams to hustle them a bit.

We don't really have anything worth taking outside Jones/Lagesson and there's guys like De Haan, Graves, Skjei, Dunn, Soucy, Chiarot, Dermott, Mahura, Bean, etc. available on the left side.

Would something like Marody or Benson be tempting enough for them to take Koskinen rather than just taking a guy like Jones/Lagesson that probably doesn't make their roster and ends up on waivers?

Nope. Especially not 4.5M of No.3 goalie/future dead buyout money.

Jones has more value to them than Marody or Benson I would think. After all, Jones made an NHL roster this year and is a young D-man with a history of underlying analytics for an organization prioritizing that. Jones is younger than both of those forwards too. I'm fairly convinced they are taking Jones, who also recently followed the Kraken on Instagram. He does not follow the Oilers.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I’m getting really really tired of oilers media every offseason.

“oh they couldn’t make the moves they wanted this year, but next year there’s finally some flexibility/ufas/money off the books, etc.”

Next offseason arrives

“They’ll definitely go for it next year, but this year they aren’t going to be making any big moves because of X”

repeat every single year.

Like, what purpose do these guys even serve anymore? They’re as connected as your average HFoil member. Not only are they always making excuses for a lack of movement, they’re also wrong every single offseason as we make at least 1 “big” signing/trade.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If that's all they do, this team is bound for another early tee time next spring. They need bottom sixers who can actually move the needle the right way and that means pending assets, whether futures or cash money.
We need 3 third liners. Or 2 third liners and a top 6 guy while pushing Yamamoto down.

If we go into it hoping that our AHL guys who are a step behind McLeod will be better than McLeod and be actual third liners we are in for a world of hurt. Maybe it works, but you can't rely on it.

Scojgn depth has been our Achilles heal for a while now. We HAVE to fix it.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure what you expect besides a wholesale overhaul of the bottom six of the roster, which just isn't reasonable.

Fact of the matter is that Archibald, Kassian and Turris are still under contract next season. Benson and Marody are waiver eligible. And Khaira and potentially Shore are both possible re-signs.

I see one, maybe two new faces in that bottom six next year via trade/FA. Improvement needs to be internal.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
It's not really hustling. Send them a 2nd or a 3rd and a guy like Jones to Take Koskinen and they make out like bandits.

They aren't going to have any expensive contracts really so cap won't be an issue. Teams are going to do whatever they can so they don't lose a good goalie. Outside of UFA Koskinen is probably one of the better goalies they can snag and only has a year left. Free assets for taking him I could easily see as doable

It would take a 2nd I imagine, which isn't a small asset and then they'd take Jones as their expansion pick.

There are options for Seattle to snag better goalies. Arizona has 3 guys they have to figure out. CBJ has 2 (Merzlikins is exempt but it's still a situation). There are UFAs they can overpay. At best Koskinen would be a backup or a buyout candidate which doesn't really help them, but sure, maybe they take the 2nd because it's still a fairly higher price.

Buuuuuuttt also why help a division rival? Some teams do, some teams don't. No idea what Seattle thinks of that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Seattle can talk to pending UFAs a week before the expansion draft I am fairly certain.

You can only leave pending UFAs exposed if you are fairly confident you have a deal done with them that would be finalized after even if they get selected by Seattle. Vegas selected 4 pending UFAs from what I gather.

yes they can

and if they take any soon to be UFAS in the draft--they can talk to them right away

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not sure what you expect besides a wholesale overhaul of the bottom six of the roster, which just isn't reasonable.

Fact of the matter is that Archibald, Kassian and Turris are still under contract next season. Benson and Marody are waiver eligible. And Khaira and potentially Shore are both possible re-signs.

I see one, maybe two new faces in that bottom six next year via trade/FA. Improvement needs to be internal.
Bringing in a legit 15 goal third liner would be nice. A lot of those guys you listed if they can't cut it then oh well. I'm sure they don't want to lose Benson and Marody, so they'll probably get a decent look but I also don't think Holland is going to sit on his hands and gift all those guys spots. Especially considering most of those guys can be buried in the minors without cap implications

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
There's a good chance Kassian gets another shot in the top six next year. Yamamoto seemed to breathe some life into his game when he was moved off of it.

I wouldn't mind it. I think at the very least, Yams should be starting on the 3rd line to build some confidence. Could be he ends up being best suited for a 3rd line wing position longterm. No shame in that for a late 1st rounder.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I see one, maybe two new faces in that bottom six next year via trade/FA. Improvement needs to be internal

And the fact of the matter is that group isn't good enough. The best case if they go down this road is that Benson, Mcleod and Marody make miracles happen in their first NHL seasons.

Archibald and Turris are buriable. Khaira and Shore should be jettisoned. There's nothing stopping them from making some significant adds except the vain hope there's room to grow with the current group.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

We have the worst bottom 6 in the league by a decent margin. If all we do is swap out one of those guys and hope rookies worse than McLeod are going to be legit third liners we boomed.

The only guy who has any place on a third line in the NHL is Yamamoto or Kassian. If we are finding 2 LEGIT third liners than sure the 4th like can be scraps.

Reactions: PULSATING

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We need 3 third liners. Or 2 third liners and a top 6 guy while pushing Yamamoto down.

If we go into it hoping that our AHL guys who are a step behind McLeod will be better than McLeod and be actual third liners we are in for a world of hurt. Maybe it works, but you can't rely on it.

Scojgn depth has been our Achilles heal for a while now. We HAVE to fix it.

Adding a bonafide top 6W could help by pushing some guys like Yamomoto down the lineup, but in my world, they're adding at least 2/3 of a third line as well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nope. Especially not 4.5M of No.3 goalie/future dead buyout money.

Jones has more value to them than Marody or Benson I would think. After all, Jones made an NHL roster this year and is a young D-man with a history of underlying analytics for an organization prioritizing that. Jones is younger than both of those forwards too. I'm fairly convinced they are taking Jones, who also recently followed the Kraken on Instagram. He does not follow the Oilers.

I don't see it. There's at least a dozen better left-handed defensemen available.

Koskinen could legitimately be the second best goalie available compared to a group headlined by Allen($2.9M) and Holtby($4.3M).

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And the fact of the matter is that group isn't good enough. The best case if they go down this road is that Benson, Mcleod and Marody make miracles happen in their first NHL seasons.

Archibald and Turris are buriable. Khaira and Shore should be jettisoned. There's nothing stopping them from making some significant adds except the vain hope there's room to grow with the current group.
I'd like Shore as an extra forward. He can hustle at times.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
If Stauffer is tossing cold water to try to damp down how many BIG moves the oilers can do, for the first time in 30 years I agree with him.

Evidently, you're both wrong. I'm sure Holland knows that if he goes in to next year without adding another top 6 winger, better goalie tandem, no replacement for Klef and no shuffling of the bottom six that his days are numbered.

Top 6 winger
1A goalie
Top 4D

Shouldn't cost more than ~$24M. Of course, if Larsson and RNH come back at an overpay and he plans to pay Nurse $9M + and Pulju $5M+ then he'll need more cap for next season but those are both overpays

Bob is shilling to downplay offseason moves so the fans can be 'pleasantly surprised' when the above 3 items are addressed at minimum. There won't be an entire roster overhaul (and shouldn't be), but there will be personnel in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad