Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not giving exact numbers I'm sure Holland can figure it out

Trade maybe Benson and a pick for Palat, Tampa is already over the cap for next year so they are a good target.

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Nuge - Draisaitl - Palat
Holloway - Danault - Yamamoto
McLeod - Glendenning - Kassian
Archibald, Shore

Nurse - Larsson
Martinez - Bear
Lagesson - Bouchard

Dreidger
Smith

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, but fear of future costs made him trade Eberle and buyout guys that could have at least contributed for one more year, only to leave all of that earned cap space unused. If he's making decisions this year based off what Nurse and JP might be making next year, he's not giving enough attention to what our needs are for the current year and might cost them.

I don't think Holland is dumb enough to go this far, but my point is that he needs to worry about next year's team with only some consideration to the year after when factoring how long to commit to anyone new. Don't make the sole focus the year after like Chia did. For all we know Nurse and JP revert back and aren't worth as much as we'd fear (I don't think it will happen this way, but don't sacrifice next year for "maybes").
No, the potential of a Draisaitl offer-sheet precipitated the Eberle trade. Eberle was a concerning asset as well holding a $6m cap hit on a team that was clearly looking to shed salary to accommodate future raises.

I'm glad that Holland has the wherewithal to see the increasing salaries within his organization. But it's a tad early to be concerned about a GM making moves that weaken his roster. This is an improving team with a strong development system, cap opening up and key players heading into their primes. It's a better team that's in a far better position moving forward.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No, the potential of a Draisaitl offer-sheet precipitated the Eberle trade. Eberle was a concerning asset as well holding a $6m cap hit on a team that was clearly looking to shed salary to accommodate future raises.

I'm glad that Holland has the wherewithal to see the increasing salaries within his organization. But it's a tad early to be concerned about a GM making moves that weaken his roster. This is an improving team with a strong development system, cap opening up and key players heading into their primes. It's a better team that's in a far better position moving forward.
He needs to spend to the cap next year but at least one of the guys he brings in should only be for a year to cover the raises and hopefully a prospect is able to fill that void after this coming year

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He needs to spend to the cap next year but at least one of the guys he brings in should only be for a year to cover the raises and hopefully a prospect is able to fill that void after this coming year
I'm guessing we're going to be in LTIR again. I also think that it's unrealistic to think we're going to see five or six new guys via trade and UFA here next season.

Guys like Benson, Holloway, Bouchard and possibly Marody/McLeod will likely see time on this roster.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Look at how Toronto has used its young AHL players to compliment their star players. We should be bringing up Benson, McLeod and Marody next season.

Keep McDrai with Yamamoto as our scoring line.

Sign someone like Saad to play with RNH-JP and that can be our 2way/checking line.

The 4th line can be the gritty guys/PKers like Khaira, Archibald, Kassian.

Macblender

May 5, 2014

We can go 10% over the cap in the offseason it wouldnt have been an issue. We could have made due with Eberle especially as we bought out Pouliot/Gryba and Sekera started the next season on the IR after his ACL injury. You can also always make space via trade which is likely worth it.

Lets be honest there was ways to make it work but since Eberle had a bad playoffs they traded him to shift the mix and try to fill the 3c hole with Strome. The fan base was all rah rah lets get rid of Eberle since he is not clutch and sucks in the playoffs (kind of funny as he has 26 points in his 36 playoff games post oilers).

In regard to your discussion about Holland I completely agree.

Reactions: belair

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We can go 10% over the cap in the offseason it wouldnt have been an issue. We could have made due with Eberle especially as we bought out Pouliot/Gryba and Sekera started the next season on the IR after his ACL injury. You can also always make space via trade which is likely worth it.

Lets be honest there was ways to make it work but since Eberle had a bad playoffs they traded him to shift the mix and try to fill the 3c hole with Strome. The fan base was all rah rah lets get rid of Eberle since he is not clutch and sucks in the playoffs (kind of funny as he has 26 points in his 36 playoff games post oilers).

In regard to your discussion about Holland I completely agree.
There was plenty of context behind the Eberle trade and there were a lot of balls in the air at the time in all likelihood.

With hindsight available to us now, that trade could've been a lot more successful for us if we possessed a coach willing to give a talented Strome a chance.

Reactions: bone

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Unless you are getting a steal of a deal or a 1 year contract, stay away from Tatar.

Yes he will help rack up some regular season points possibly, but he is another small, ineffective player in the playoffs and that doesn't help us.
His short history in the Pacific division should also be duly noted. The Knights were quick move on from him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Look at how Toronto has used its young AHL players to compliment their star players. We should be bringing up Benson, McLeod and Marody next season.

Keep McDrai with Yamamoto as our scoring line.

Sign someone like Saad to play with RNH-JP and that can be our 2way/checking line.

The 4th line can be the gritty guys/PKers like Khaira, Archibald, Kassian.
If RNH is our 2c we are going to lose a lot of game. He isn't good at faceoffs, he isn't an NHL center. Leave Drai at center if we want to stand a chance.

Nuge isn't strong enough to be a checking center.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think Hyman is unlikely, the Leafs do have the room to keep him and I think they will.

I'm shifting gears to Tatar and Goodrow as the likely LW adds, with us keeping RNH as well

Tatar, RNH, Goodrow, Benson as our 4 LWs, with Holloway fighting depth-wise, isn't bad. I'd like Holloway to start in Bakersfield.

Tatar-McDavid-BLANK
RNH-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi (I want to try this)
Goodrow-BLANK-Yamamoto
Benson-McLeod-Kassian/Archibald

I'm assuming RNH costs 6M per, Tatar costs 4.5M per (hopefully a 1-2 yr deal), Goodrow costs 2.5-3M per, Yamamoto bridge might be 2.75

That's about 16M per there. Obviously that makes things tight already with two holes still at F and I haven't even discussed D/goalies.

So finding ways to get rid of Kassian, Koskinen, Neal - buyouts included - is now paramount, as is figuring out Klefbom.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Hyman is unlikely, the Leafs do have the room to keep him and I think they will.

I'm shifting gears to Tatar and Goodrow as the likely LW adds, with us keeping RNH as well

Tatar, RNH, Goodrow, Benson as our 4 LWs, with Holloway fighting depth-wise, isn't bad. I'd like Holloway to start in Bakersfield.

Tatar-McDavid-BLANK
RNH-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Goodrow-BLANK-Yamamoto
Benson-McLeod-Kassian/Archibald

I'm assuming RNH costs 6M per, Tatar costs 4.5M per, Goodrow costs 2.5-3M per

That's about 13-14M per there. Obviously that makes things tight already with two holes still at F and I haven't even discussed D/goalies.

So finding ways to get rid of Kassian, Koskinen, Neal - buyouts included - is now paramount, as is figuring out Klefbom.

Tatar is a mediocre playoff producer and small (5'10) on top of that, Oilers get handled in the 1st round again with a roster like that.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Tatar is a mediocre playoff producer and small (5'10) on top of that, Oilers get handled in the 1st round again with a roster like that.

The Oilers are going to be interested in Tatar, you can hate it but Holland likes him, his name has already been rumoured around. You're going to hear his name more often.

If it's a Barrie deal situation, it might be one of the more value things we can do.

Also doesn't it depend on the blanks? I mean, those are two significant blanks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are going to be interested in Tatar, you can hate it but Holland likes him, his name has already been rumoured around. You're going to hear his name more often.

If it's a Barrie deal situation, it might be one of the more value things we can do.

Also doesn't it depend on the blanks? I mean, those are two significant blanks.

That's fine if that's what Holland wants, he just has no right to complain when they get beat in the 1st round again and the media in Edmonton is starting to call for his head.

5 points in his last 22 playoff games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's really too freaking bad Sam Bennett was stuck in the clown show down south and they would never deal him to us.

I'd give a 2021 1st for Sam Bennett, but I don't think Florida does that now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trading a 1st for a guy who has had a great 20 game spurt is terrible asset management.

The odds a 19th overall pick being even as good as say Sam Bennett is maybe 10%. He was misused down south, he'd score a lot with McDavid and has some bite to his game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Trading a 1st for a guy who has had a great 20 game spurt is terrible asset management.

Especially when he has done this before, getting hot in/around playoffs.

He also took a string of flat out stupid penalties that likely cost the Panthers a playoff game in addition to his scoring that doesn't get talked about.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
There was plenty of context behind the Eberle trade and there were a lot of balls in the air at the time in all likelihood.

With hindsight available to us now, that trade could've been a lot more successful for us if we possessed a coach willing to give a talented Strome a chance.
Don't disagree at all part of our issue was we had zero depth for stronger secondary pieces to play with. Hence why I am of the opinion that we need to be adding to our forward core not subtracting.

Get rid of dead weight in Neal, Kassian, Turris and swing again to add a solid depth piece or two. I am looking at Janmark and Armia personally as solid options.

My ideal world right now would be:

Buyout Neal
Resign Nuge (Reasonable deal - argument for why is in the Nuge thread)
Try and hussle Seattle into taking Koskinen for something reasonable aka Jones/Benson + pick

2021 1st + Kassian + Lavoie + 2022 3rd for Buchnevich
Sign Joel Armia
Sign 1 more depth player (Janmark etc) - Avoid Hyman he will be much too expensive

Buchnevich - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Drai - Yamo
Janmark - Mcleod - Armia
Shore - Khaira - Archibald

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Pass on Strome. Seems like a frustrating player that doesn't want to learn defense. Not good enough to be in the top 6 for the blackhawks and doesn't play a bottom 6 role effectively. Most Chicago fans hate him so much that they want to expose him for Seattle.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This Blackhawks writer is proposing Dylan Strome for Ethan Bear

Three Reasons The Blackhawks Should Trade Dylan Strome

I'd do it, even though the optics kinda suck (team rallying around Bear).

giphy.gif

Dylan will be an instant whipping boy here, especially since the NHL is a speed and grit game, particularly in the playoffs. Dude is slow and soft as butter.

Reactions: 780il

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If RNH is our 2c we are going to lose a lot of game. He isn't good at faceoffs, he isn't an NHL center. Leave Drai at center if we want to stand a chance.

Nuge isn't strong enough to be a checking center.

The lines can always be switched up but it would give RNH two big, strong wingers to play with.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The odds a 19th overall pick being even as good as say Sam Bennett is maybe 10%. He was misused down south, he'd score a lot with McDavid and has some bite to his game.

All I'm saying is that a lot of GMs have 1st round fetishes, so there's going to be better ways to use that sort of asset.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah I don't think anyone is "hustling" Seattle.

If you want to get rid of Koskinen and/or Neal without buyout, you either have to

1) Retain salary (50% probably)
2) Deal the 1st or the 2022 2nd minimum
3) Take money back

Kassian might be an easier move due to the grit factor but even then, it's a tougher sell from my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad