Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'll say this again. Why would anyone be worried that Edmonton isnt going to improve the team this summer?

Why else would Holland admit they're greatly looking at buyouts.

If the plan is to just resign the current roster and rely on internal growth, you don't need the help of buyouts for that.

Of course internal growth has to be part of the plan. However I fully believe Holland will acquire a top 6w, and bottom 6 c, a G and replacement for Klef if needed

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
What is the general consensus on what to do with the Oilers' bad contracts (Kassian, Neal, Koskinen, etc?) I'd almost think you'd want to avoid buyouts and prevent 4-6 years of cap hits on the books. So maybe just ride them out? Honestly, Neal is always hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on LTIRetirement, but obviously that's his call.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thinking of lower end guys. He mentioned vets. Radio has mentioned a bunch about right shot centers.

Khaira is not good enough to win faceoffs even in the 4th line

I know we joked but I think Glendenning on the 4th line would be great.
7 straight years of positive faceoff numbers, would be cheap, has the Holland connection. Vet player. Even if his offensive game stumbles a bit winning faceoffs and penalty killing would be a bonus.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What is the general consensus on what to do with the Oilers' bad contracts (Kassian, Neal, Koskinen, etc?) I'd almost think you'd want to avoid buyouts and prevent 4-6 years of cap hits on the books. So maybe just ride them out? Honestly, Neal is always hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on LTIRetirement, but obviously that's his call.
Neal is most likely bought out. Just under 2 mill a year for 4 years, 3.8 mill in savings for the next 2. The cap should go up in years 3/4 which is less of a big deal imo

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I kind of wonder if that’s the approach with rnh and maybe even Barrie. Or we just walk from both. Barrie probably is more concerned with getting term in a city that’s good for his family but who knows.
Seattle can talk to pending UFAs a week before the expansion draft I am fairly certain.

You can only leave pending UFAs exposed if you are fairly confident you have a deal done with them that would be finalized after even if they get selected by Seattle. Vegas selected 4 pending UFAs from what I gather.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Neal is most likely bought out. Just under 2 mill a year for 4 years, 3.8 mill in savings for the next 2. The cap should go up in years 3/4 which is less of a big deal imo
Yeah it makes no sense to buyout Kosko with one season left to take on 2 seasons of dead cap. I guess I thought the same thing about Sekera and he was bought out but I agree Neal is likely the person they are targeting for the buyout.

I would be pushing Seattle hard to take Kassian or Neal in the expansion draft understanding those would both cost very different prices.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'll say this again. Why would anyone be worried that Edmonton isnt going to improve the team this summer?

Why else would Holland admit they're greatly looking at buyouts.

If the plan is to just resign the current roster and rely on internal growth, you don't need the help of buyouts for that.

Of course internal growth has to be part of the plan. However I fully believe Holland will acquire a top 6w, and bottom 6 c, a G and replacement for Klef if needed
Holland said yesterday that depth and even strength scoring are priorities this summer too.

Reactions: North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah it makes no sense to buyout Kosko with one season left to take on 2 seasons of dead cap. I guess I thought the same thing about Sekera and he was bought out but I agree Neal is likely the person they are targeting for the buyout.

I would be pushing Seattle hard to take Kassian or Neal in the expansion draft understanding those would both cost very different prices.
Buyout Neal.
Jones, 3rd to Vegas to take Koskinen.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I think this is the year to go goalie. If Wallstedt and Cossa both go before we pick, deal it.
I think we're drafting too early to take the goalie. We're in a position to grab one of the forwards that fall out of the Top 15.

McTavish, Corranato, Raty, Pinelli, Sillinger, Chibrikov, Othmann

I'm not sure Cossa is guy you take until late in the round. He's also about four years out in all likelihood.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Although Holland wasnt incredibly wellspoken (I guess talking for over an hour does that) but he wasn't really wrong with anything he said.

1. It's not easy to win in the NHL. The good teams that win are able to do so by building from within.
2. Talked about the need to have some stability and not just shuffling deck chairs. Some guys won't be re-signed and others will be.
3. Brought up that Winnipeg has been a good team for a while and is sticking with it. Oilers are sticking to the plan.
4. Willing to move pieces to get good players but those guys usually aren't available because they are good players.
5. Team is improving and needs to continue to improve. His highest priority is still to improve the team and address scoring depth.
6. As it stands, doesn't have a ton of cap because he needs to either sign guys or replace them.
7. Likely to buyout player/players to get some more space.
8. Needs to make decisions before they can go to market. Sees Nuge, Larsson and Smith as part of the core. Will get the input of coaches and players.
9. Wants to sign Smith.
10. Needs to figure out what's going on with Klefbom before submitting his list for Seattle for ED.
11. Young guys to keep growing, improving and developing.
12. Needs more veterans added to the lineup can't all be young guys.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Can’t make any additions because you need to save $5M to give raises for two guys next season even though you have more cap coming off that next season. Sure Bob

BiodegradableConsiderateAntbear-max-1mb.gif

It's the Chiarelli summer of 2017 strategy minus the trading of one of your top 6 forwards to make additional cap space then not use it. Look how well that worked for us.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think we're drafting too early to take the goalie. We're in a position to grab one of the forwards that fall out of the Top 15.

McTavish, Corranato, Raty, Pinelli, Sillinger, Chibrikov, Othmann

I'm not sure Cossa is guy you take until late in the round. He's also about four years out in all likelihood.
Holland isn't afraid to just take his guy. In a year like this where eyes are on guys much less, I think no one is going to draft anything like the rankings

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's the Chiarelli summer of 2017 strategy. Look how well that worked for us.
The summer of 2017 had the McDavid and Draisaitl extensions on the horizon. It's not anything similar.

The Nurse extension might add $3m to the payroll. A goalie might cost $4m. Who else is getting an Earth-shattering raise over the next two seasons?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Holland isn't afraid to just take his guy. In a year like this where eyes are on guys much less, I think no one is going to draft anything like the rankings
I don't disagree. Central Scouting has McTavish at #2 ahead of much more prominent guys. I like the prospect of taking a falling forward, because there are some really good ones.

Tons of risk taking a goalie. Particularly when you look at Edmonton's history with them.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I kind of suspect they’ll find a different way out of it. Stauffer kinda suggest some cba loopholes being used on someone, he could have implied buyout but he didn’t.

Possible he was referring to Klefbom though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thinking of lower end guys. He mentioned vets. Radio has mentioned a bunch about right shot centers.

Khaira is not good enough to win faceoffs even in the 4th line

I know we joked but I think Glendenning on the 4th line would be great.
7 straight years of positive faceoff numbers, would be cheap, has the Holland connection. Vet player. Even if his offensive game stumbles a bit winning faceoffs and penalty killing would be a bonus.

As a Khaira replacement, I’ve got time for Glendening, but exclusively as a Khaira replacement, herein meaning Khaira leaves.

I don’t think we can run 3/6 of the same bodies in the bottom 6 (Khaira, Kassian, Archibald, possibly Neal) grab Glendening, and say with a straight face out depth is any better.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The summer of 2017 had the McDavid and Draisaitl extensions on the horizon. It's not anything similar.

The Nurse extension might add $3m to the payroll. A goalie might cost $4m. Who else is getting an Earth-shattering raise over the next two seasons?

Yes, but fear of future costs made him trade Eberle and buyout guys that could have at least contributed for one more year, only to leave all of that earned cap space unused. If he's making decisions this year based off what Nurse and JP might be making next year, he's not giving enough attention to what our needs are for the current year and might cost them.

I don't think Holland is dumb enough to go this far, but my point is that he needs to worry about next year's team with only some consideration to the year after when factoring how long to commit to anyone new. Don't make the sole focus the year after like Chia did. For all we know Nurse and JP revert back and aren't worth as much as we'd fear (I don't think it will happen this way, but don't sacrifice next year for "maybes").

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As a Khaira replacement, I’ve got time for Glendening, but exclusively as a Khaira replacement, herein meaning Khaira leaves.

I don’t think we can run 3/6 of the same bodies in the bottom 6 (Khaira, Kassian, Archibald, possibly Neal) grab Glendening, and say with a straight face out depth is any better.

Khaira can still also be revisited as a 3rd or 4th line winger playing with a right handed centre where he could spell him off for some faceoffs if you decide to get Glendenning.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm down for buying out James Neal if you don't spend the money in a dumb way right after.

I still contend we didn't win the Neal/Lucic deal until we buy him out.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don’t mind it, I think he’d be a good fit. Would probably rather him than Tatar but we’ll see
Tatar was scratched the other night. I prefer Schwartz. Not sure what is going on with Hoffman or Coleman. We definitely need 2 . I would like to strengthen our bottom 6 as well. Hopefully it was a bad luck year for Yamamoto. I think for Oilers to be a contender, McDavid an Draisaitl need to run their own line

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm down for buying out James Neal if you don't spend the money in a dumb way right after.

I still contend we didn't win the Neal/Lucic deal until we buy him out.

I liked Year 1 better for us, Year 2 better for them. Considering the extra money and pick involved, Calgary is definitely winning the trade to this point overall and at this point if both players play out their full term with their current teams, I have a hard time seeing Edmonton being the winner in the long run.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Oh 100%. I'm okay with keeping Khaira as a 13/14th forward in case of injury. Imo 4th line should be Shore - Glendening - Archibald/Kassian

Just having a guy who can crush on faceoffs massively improves the usefulness of that line.

The third line is where I think the work is. Bjugstad, Danault, Wennberg would be good options at center. If the team decides McLeod is ready for 3c duty (he isn't) then we should look at some legit third line wingers. Hell I wouldn't even mind pushing Yamamoto down to the third line, grab a vet left wing/center for that line with McLeod at wing or center and getting a different guy for the top 6.

Imo improving our top 6 and pushing out of place guys down will help. Hell maybe we can find a way to run a bottom 6 of

Holloway - Danault - Yamamoto
McLeod - Glendenning - Shore/Archibald/Kassian

I don't think it's really possible but I think that 3rd line would be great and the only real cost there is Danault, leaving cap for the top 6

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Tatar was scratched the other night. I prefer Schwartz. Not sure what is going on with Hoffman or Coleman. We definitely need 2 . I would like to strengthen our bottom 6 as well. Hopefully it was a bad luck year for Yamamoto. I think for Oilers to be a contender, McDavid an Draisaitl need to run their own line

Really? Tatar was scratched? If Edmonton is looking for playoff help, he's probably one to avoid. He was terrible (and healthy scratched as well) during Vegas' playoff run. Just looking at his post red wings playoff stats: 3 goals and 2 assists in 22 games. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad