Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Yes Jesse and Nurse need extensions, but Unless Nurse is asking for a deal exceeding Draisaitl's we shouldn't be in too tough of a spot.
Even if he is asking for a deal at Draisaitl's cap we could realistically trade Kassian with a pick to free cap and that solves the whole problem. With Holloway/Benson/other depth we could sign for cheaper I dont think we miss Kassian much if at all.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Can’t make any additions because you need to save $5M to give raises for two guys next season even though you have more cap coming off that next season. Sure Bob

BiodegradableConsiderateAntbear-max-1mb.gif

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Can’t make any additions because you need to save $5M to give raises for two guys next season even though you have more cap coming off that next season. Sure Bob

How connected is he even anymore? Like I feel like he is aware of some items but for the most part is out of the loop. He seemed out to lunch last draft about Holloway and was pumping Guhle.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How connected is he even anymore? Like I feel like he is aware of some items but for the most part is out of the loop. He seemed out to lunch last draft about Holloway and was pumping Guhle.
Anyone that thinks they know what Holland is going to do this summer is out to lunch.

Sure maybe guys will pick up stories on re-signings and shit, but no one including Holland knows how this off-season is going to shake out. Especially considering what happens with the expansion could set the tone for the year.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Agreed, I mean he kept pushing Barrie all of these years but that was a no brainer for all involved last offseason. Pushing Tatar but anyone could guess Holland would make a pitch to him given their Red Wings history.

They without a doubt have dead cap opening up, regardless of re-signing Nuge and Larsson.

They have enough cap for:

One additional top 6 player (or two if Nuge doesn’t re-sign). Not $8million dollar player level but 2nd line player for sure

Another 1A goalie regardless of the Koskinen situation (I think he gets bought out or taken by Seattle with a sweetener, goes back to KHL etc)

A replacement for Klefbom if he’s not coming back. Barrie could be that option, yes he’ll cost more than Klefbom does but they came open a million or two extra with some roster moves (waiving players like Turris etc)

I don’t buy it.

Reactions: Pointteen

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Any chance Brandon Montour doesn't resign in FLA? I've always liked his game.

I was thinking about that the other day. He had some rough reasons but seems to have bounced back (maybe a Buffalo thing lol). I do wonder if the Bear situation gives him some pause though. Maybe, maybe not.

Reactions: NeverForget06

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Agreed, I mean he kept pushing Barrie all of these years but that was a no brainer for all involved last offseason. Pushing Tatar but anyone could guess Holland would make a pitch to him given their Red Wings history.

They without a doubt have dead cap opening up, regardless of re-signing Nuge and Larsson.

They have enough cap for:

One additional top 6 player (or two if Nuge doesn’t re-sign). Not $8million dollar player level but 2nd line player for sure

Another 1A goalie regardless of the Koskinen situation (I think he gets bought out or taken by Seattle with a sweetener, goes back to KHL etc)

A replacement for Klefbom if he’s not coming back. Barrie could be that option, yes he’ll cost more than Klefbom does but they came open a million or two extra with some roster moves (waiving players like Turris etc)

I don’t buy it.

Im gonna throw a name out there who I think would fit in our top 6 , Saskatchewan boy, UFA, can score 20-30, Jaden Schwartz.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Im gonna throw a name out there who I think would fit in our top 6 , Saskatchewan boy, UFA, can score 20-30, Jaden Schwartz.

I don’t mind it, I think he’d be a good fit. Would probably rather him than Tatar but we’ll see

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Koskinen's contract expires the same time that Nurse and Pulju need extensions. We don't need to save much cap space for then. Maybe 3 million or so, which gives us plenty of space to make big moves now.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Koskinen's contract expires the same time that Nurse and Pulju need extensions. We don't need to save much cap space for then. Maybe 3 million or so, which gives us plenty of space to make big moves now.
Still have to replace Koskinen/Smith that year. So it's doubtful it's going to be a lot of found money.

I mean the hope is we have a cheap young guy playing and don't need to spend too much, but I have no idea if any of our young guys will be able to make that step

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The move, IMO, is to keep Neal another year, give him Chiasson's powerplay slot fulltime, let him rack up goals, then move him with one year left, or pay off Seattle to take him in expansion. There's your JP and Nurse raises right there.

If I have to hear "oh we tried real hard but we didn't have the cap space to do everything we wanted to do because we had to save money for future raises" I will f***ing scream.

Reactions: 780il and Skar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Still have to replace Koskinen/Smith that year. So it's doubtful it's going to be a lot of found money.

I mean the hope is we have a cheap young guy playing and don't need to spend too much, but I have no idea if any of our young guys will be able to make that step

Skinner or Konovalov should be ready to back up by then, since goalies are voodoo. Could have had Ned for nothing.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
The move, IMO, is to keep Neal another year, give him Chiasson's powerplay slot fulltime, let him rack up goals, then move him with one year left, or pay off Seattle to take him in expansion. There's your JP and Nurse raises right there.

If I have to hear "oh we tried real hard but we didn't have the cap space to do everything we wanted to do because we had to save money for future raises" I will f***ing scream.
With how the draft is shaping up (little bit of a crap shoot) I would not hate trying to move Neal to Seattle this offseason for our 1st if our guy is gone.

A new franchise that can weaponize cap space will likely try and fast track its way to being competitive by landing as many picks as possible early in its history.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Schwartz could be a good guy on a one year deal if he realizes there is nothing better out there.
Would rather pursue Buchnevich who I think would mesh well with McDavid and then roll the DRY line all next year.

Buchnevich - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Drai - Yamo

Buchnevich is likely a longer term solution for us.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
With how the draft is shaping up (little bit of a crap shoot) I would not hate trying to move Neal to Seattle this offseason for our 1st if our guy is gone.

A new franchise that can weaponize cap space will likely try and fast track its way to being competitive by landing as many picks as possible early in its history.

Yeah, I think this is the year to go goalie. If Wallstedt and Cossa both go before we pick, deal it.

Reactions: Pointteen

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t see it happening but it is kinda weird the Caps haven’t extended Ovechkin yet. I haven’t even heard any talk about it.

It’s a fun fantasy though. Just slot him where RNH was on the PP and that’s basically a perfect power play. Jesse in front, OV and LD ripping one timers from the left and right. It would be absolutely historic and legendary.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t see it happening but it is kinda weird the Caps haven’t extended Ovechkin yet. I haven’t even heard any talk about it.

It’s a fun fantasy though. Just slot him where RNH was on the PP and that’s basically a perfect power play. Jesse in front, OV and LD ripping one timers from the left and right. It would be absolutely historic and legendary.

My guess is that teams are trying to be a lot smarter this time with expansion and are leaving some significant re-signings and whatnot until after, thereby enabling them to keep guys they might otherwise lose or have to pay Seattle to not take.

Reactions: bone

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Would rather pursue Buchnevich who I think would mesh well with McDavid and then roll the DRY line all next year.

Buchnevich - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Drai - Yamo

Buchnevich is likely a longer term solution for us.
Absolutely love the idea of Buch for something around Lavoie + 1st. He’s a long term solution just entering his prime, does everything well and put up some really good numbers this year and last year as well (minus 1 terrible month). Almost a ppg player that could be like a Nylander for us. I would hope to get him signed at 6x6 but that might be shooting low and he could want 8 years x 6.5 to 7. I’d probably still take him on a 7x7 he’s that good. Run him on rw with Drai and Nuge (NY people say he’s much better on that side) so it leaves you with a skeleton of

x - Mcdavid - Pulju
Nuge - Drai - Buch
x - Mcleod - Yamo

Sign a cheap 1 year stopgap lw for the top line until Holloway can play full time (Schwartz? Hoffman?). Go get a Goodrow/Janmark/Armia for 2-3m to throw on the 3rd line with the kids.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
My guess is that teams are trying to be a lot smarter this time with expansion and are leaving some significant re-signings and whatnot until after, thereby enabling them to keep guys they might otherwise lose or have to pay Seattle to not take.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I kind of wonder if that’s the approach with rnh and maybe even Barrie. Or we just walk from both. Barrie probably is more concerned with getting term in a city that’s good for his family but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad