Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So far so good.
The writing was on the wall for Ebs as soon as Chia took over, we'll see how Strome pans out but I'm expecting to be pleasently surprised.
Chia actually tried trading for Eberle on two separate occasions in Boston, at one point he did see something he liked in Eberle.
AceBoogie said:
Oilers should now sign Markov 1 year @ 6 mil. Guy still has it and would be a great 2nd pairing D
From what I've read the greatest stumbling block to signing him is he is quite adamant about that 2nd year, if he were to take a paycut to his salary demands that 2nd year would seem doable, but rigidity on both ends of it, have left him hanging without a contract. I'm a fan of Markov, but I don't think we will be where he lands.
McCanovin said:
Is RNH+ for Trouba a possibility?
Trouba has pushed through to that next level I don't think RNH + a small add gets us in the conversation, it would probably take RNH + Nurse to peak their interest, but I don't think Chevy is prepared to make that kind of trade. I'm guessing they will prefer to target the best LHD they can possibly get in return and make up any value they are losing in the deal off of prospects/picks.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Chia actually tried trading for Eberle on two separate occasions in Boston, at one point he did see something he liked in Eberle.

Don't recall those rumours (not denying it though) but that was a different team and a few years ago. Even now there's lots to like about Eberle, but he's one dimensional and I think Chia values versatility and expects a little more fire than Ebs brings. Cap moving forward is obviously a big point as well.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Don't recall those rumours (not denying it though) but that was a different team and a few years ago. Even now there's lots to like about Eberle, but he's one dimensional and I think Chia values versatility and expects a little more fire than Ebs brings. Cap moving forward is obviously a big point as well.

Go to 1:50. That's where they had a trade for Eberle. But it seems like they tried to trade for another Top 5 pick.

Edit: Actually, don't go beyond that. That draft makes me cry now. Arguing between Pitlick and Marincin, and Quinn being 'shuffled'...:cry:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

The rumors were in 2010 when we were drafting Taylor Hall we also had interested in the second pick as well to get sequin. The ask then was Eberle+. Obviously it looked good not doing that then, Eberle was a star for a few years etc. The Eberle then is definitely not the Eberle of now

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
because?
A team cant have 2 good players? Might as well maximize value on McDavid and Talbot as well.

Just imagine all the picks we could get for these guys!! For sure we could build a good team with them. Then, as soon as they get good enough we can trade them for even more picks. :banghead:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Just imagine all the picks we could get for these guys!! For sure we could build a good team with them. Then, as soon as they get good enough we can trade them for even more picks. :banghead:

aab9a4f6-648c-45ab-9eb5-9d8b81feb98f.jpg

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Chia is all about balance. What Boston needed in 2010 and what Edmonton needs in 2017 are very different. He's great at identifying what a team needs to get better and that's all that you can ask.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

Go to 1:50. That's where they had a trade for Eberle. But it seems like they tried to trade for another Top 5 pick.

Edit: Actually, don't go beyond that. That draft makes me cry now. Arguing between Pitlick and Marincin, and Quinn being 'shuffled'...:cry:

Ah ok, thanks. I totally checked out that year.

The rumors were in 2010 when we were drafting Taylor Hall we also had interested in the second pick as well to get sequin. The ask then was Eberle+. Obviously it looked good not doing that then, Eberle was a star for a few years etc. The Eberle then is definitely not the Eberle of now

Exactly, Eberle then had nowhere to go but up and didn't cost 6mil.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think everybody is too caught up on adding a vet RW. I think the Oilers are pretty set at forward.

What they really need is a vet Dman fill in for the couple or more months that Sekera is out, can't have Gryba playing full time top 6 minutes with Simpson as the first call up. The depth has been a bit decimated with the loss of Davidson, Reinhart and Oesterle. I think Beauchemin or Franson would be a welcome and needed addition.

Actually, I forgot about Fayne. Maybe they'll have him split time with Gryba depending on matchups. Still think they need a better stopgap.

Fayne could be a perfect stopgap, but I wonder what's going on with him. He's not injured, but the team just doesn't seem to want him anymore. Although maybe last year bonuses were coming up to hit us so we just needed the extra 900k or whatever from burying him.

As I recall from his last real season playing here, that was the McDavid rookie season, and he started awful and got sent down. But, he was very good when he got called up.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Hope Pirri and Franson dont sign and we can invite them to tryouts. If they make the team sign them on the cheap for 1 year and if they dont no big deal.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Fayne could be a perfect stopgap, but I wonder what's going on with him. He's not injured, but the team just doesn't seem to want him anymore. Although maybe last year bonuses were coming up to hit us so we just needed the extra 900k or whatever from burying him.

As I recall from his last real season playing here, that was the McDavid rookie season, and he started awful and got sent down. But, he was very good when he got called up.

Fayne is a very good bottom pairing defenseman, albeit grossly overpaid, which I guess is the reason they burried him last year. I won't be surprised if they give him a shot on the bottom pairing.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Fayne is a very good bottom pairing defenseman, albeit grossly overpaid, which I guess is the reason they burried him last year. I won't be surprised if they give him a shot on the bottom pairing.

I assume he came in out of shape and/or didn't do something they asked.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

They didn't save much on the salary cap sending him down so that was not the reason. He's too passive, slow, and doesn't do anything that impacts the game in a positive manner IMO.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They didn't save much on the salary cap sending him down so that was not the reason. He's too passive, slow, and doesn't do anything that impacts the game in a positive manner IMO.

The emergence of Benning may have had something to do with it too. I think Nurse was a lock for the bottom pairing and Gryba was probably a lock for no.7 spot, given his unique attributes.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The emergence of Benning may have had something to do with it too. I think Nurse was a lock for the bottom pairing and Gryba was probably a lock for no.7 spot, given his unique attributes.

I think the fact he sucks at hockey now might have been a bigger factor. You're right that Gryba has unique attributes and that's why he won the 7 job, and that's the problem with Fayne. He has no attribute that stands out or is even above average. You still need those guys lower on the depth chart to be able to provide above average play, even if it's just in a few areas like the PK and physical presence in Gryba's case.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Would rather have RNH and the plus is a joke

I would have no issues moving RNH for Trouba, but..
1) The price is too steep for my liking.
2) I do recall Trouba would like to play in the States.

A stopgap D man for one year would still be good. Unless the Oilers are fully comfortable with one of Benning or Nurse playing top 4 until Sekera's back.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the fact he sucks at hockey now might have been a bigger factor. You're right that Gryba has unique attributes and that's why he won the 7 job, and that's the problem with Fayne. He has no attribute that stands out or is even above average. You still need those guys lower on the depth chart to be able to provide above average play, even if it's just in a few areas like the PK and physical presence in Gryba's case.

Passive, no offense, basically a bigger but crappier version of Nick Schultz. I wouldn't re-sign him on a two way contract next season.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Jared Cowen or Polak would be better than Gryba as 7D.

Polak... maybe? Not sure if that was ever going to happen after Nurse caved his head in.

Cowen? I don't see why. He's was a sub-NHL defenseman on two mediocre NHL teams, one of whom had time for Gryba not too long ago. That reeks of "grass is greener" stuff to me.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wouldn't have minded them signing McIlrath when he was available... younger Gryba with a little more upside.

Speaking of Nick Schultz.. he's still out there as a UFA and he wouldn't be a bad addition as bottom pairing depth. Better than Gryba.

Last edited:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I wouldn't have minded them signing McIlrath when he was available... younger Gryba with a little more upside.

Speaking of Nick Schultz.. he's still out there as a UFA ad he wouldn't be a bad addition as bottom pairing depth. Better than Gryba.

He said he doesn't want to play for Edmonton in fear of getting mercilessly booed by Anaheim fans.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

That sounds like the conjoined triangles of success!

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Just sign Franson for cheap and call it an offseason. (Maybe give some UFAs PTOs if they're out there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad