Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Meant to put a ? on my post to ask what posters think about Polak and Cowen.

Not a fan of Gryba as 7d(maybe 8D is okay) as that 7D spot should be for guys like Reinhart, Davidson or Oesterle but we lost them all.

Polak has better foot speed and not as bad handling the puck in d zone, but he might be too expensive(might want more than a $1M).

Agreed on Cowen. Not an ideal 7d for us. Big reclamation project. Word was he's now finally healthy so there might be some interest from teams to offer a 1 yr term with minimal money ideally 2 way deal.

Cowen would be an interesting camp invite. He earned that contract at one point, so there's a little bit of intrigue there. With Reinhart gone, we don't really have anyone on the bubble so Cowen could fit. Zero expectations though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not in love with the idea of Mark Fayne starting in the NHL and it seems the coaching staff aren't big fans.

Still think we grab a bottom pairing defenceman and Benning slides up.

A signed Draisaitl, Jagr and another D would make this team a cup contender.
Should be go time before McDavid's contract kicks in.

Move Fayne + 2nd for Garrison (50%) to stay at 50 contracts.

Yup. Re-sign Draisaitl and try to squeeze in Jagr and Franson for a combined 7 million on one year deals. We'll have very little wiggle room with the cap but hey, we'd practically be getting our TDL acquisition when Sekera is back.

People can sleep on Franson all they want, but the fact is that he'd be an excellent fit on the bottom-pairing with Nurse. He's a solid puck-mover with very good advanced stats playing in that role last year- on a train wreck team in Buffalo nonetheless.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Go to 1:50. That's where they had a trade for Eberle. But it seems like they tried to trade for another Top 5 pick.

Edit: Actually, don't go beyond that. That draft makes me cry now. Arguing between Pitlick and Marincin, and Quinn being 'shuffled'...:cry:

Omg, high comedy.

All the whiners who think a Chiarelli is so bad should go back and watch Oil Change.

My all time favorite episode is the one with Tambellini and Morey Gare waffling about the Smithson trade.

Ooo, he's good at faceoffs. Ooo, is he worth a 4th round pick?

Go to 37:30
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6UvqC1EbP0

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Yup. Re-sign Draisaitl and try to squeeze in Jagr and Franson for a combined 7 million on one year deals. We'll have very little wiggle room with the cap but hey, we'd practically be getting our TDL acquisition when Sekera is back.

People can sleep on Franson all they want, but the fact is that he'd be an excellent fit on the bottom-pairing with Nurse. He's a solid puck-mover with very good advanced stats playing in that role last year- on a train wreck team in Buffalo nonetheless.

Franson may be a good puck mover but he's a liability in our zone. Not as bad as Fayne, but worse than Gryba.

Besides, Nurse is the offensive guy who needs defensive support, his game would be limited as the last defender while Franson moves the puck up and pinches.

I'd prefer a guy who's defense first with some puck moving acumen, a better Gryba who takes less risks with hits and doesn't hand grenade the puck back to the opposition,

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
if we decide to stand pat on forward I would run.

Jokinen Mcdavid Puljarvi
Lucic Drai RNH
Maroon Strome Kass
Cag Letestu Slep

- reason being if we want pulj to start in the nhl we should put him in the best place to succeed. That would be playing with connor and jussi. I know maroon has good chemistry and had a good season last year but this might be the best way to get the best out of everyone.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think we should sign cody franson to a 1 year deal.

I'm almost wondering if the one of the trades Chiarelli mentioned would be for a 'Reinhart' replacement.

With the Jokinen signing we have 11 forwards that I can conceivably see playing top 9 minutes next season:

McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Strome
Lucic
Maroon
Jokinen
Puljujarvi
Caggiula
Slepyshev
Kassian

I'm curious if we could see a swap of Slepyshev and a pick for a young defenceman - particularly if we sign Jagr - maybe a guy that's NHL ready but buried by depth. The Blues have a couple of guys that would fill that bill.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
if we decide to stand pat on forward I would run.

Jokinen Mcdavid Puljarvi
Lucic Drai RNH
Maroon Strome Kass
Cag Letestu Slep

- reason being if we want pulj to start in the nhl we should put him in the best place to succeed. That would be playing with connor and jussi. I know maroon has good chemistry and had a good season last year but this might be the best way to get the best out of everyone.

No way on RNH at RW, and I doubt Jokinen ever plays with McDavid, other than the PK.

The way McLellan runs his team makes things obvious:

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl/Strome (speed line)
Lucic - Draisaitl/Strome - Slepyshev (cycle line)
Jokinen - RNH - Puljujarvi/Kassian (tough minutes line)
Caggiula - Letestu - Puljujarvi/Kassian (possession line)
Khaira - Pakarinen extras

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I really want the Oilers to add a player like Jagr or Iginla to the lineup, but unfortunately, it seems like the forward group no longer has room for additions after the acquisition of Jokinen. Adding an extra player would limit the growth of young players like Slepyshev, Caggiula or Puljujärvi. So the questions is, what else do you feel the Oilers should add to their roster for next season?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Franson may be a good puck mover but he's a liability in our zone. Not as bad as Fayne, but worse than Gryba.

Besides, Nurse is the offensive guy who needs defensive support, his game would be limited as the last defender while Franson moves the puck up and pinches.

I'd prefer a guy who's defense first with some puck moving acumen, a better Gryba who takes less risks with hits and doesn't hand grenade the puck back to the opposition,

You just described Cody Franson.

In Buffalo he played a game with significantly less risk than he did in Toronto. Franson moves the puck in the right direction, he has a booming slap shot and can also play the physical game. For one year, he's the most logical player available on the open market.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Brian Campbell would be the perfect 1 year vet stopgap to fill in for Sekera. He still has gas in the tank.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
No way on RNH at RW, and I doubt Jokinen ever plays with McDavid, other than the PK.

The way McLellan runs his team makes things obvious:

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl/Strome
Lucic - Draisaitl/Strome - Slepyshev
Jokinen - RNH - Puljujarvi/Kassian
Caggiula - Letestu - Puljujarvi/Kassian
Khaira - Pakarinen extras

I don't think that the Oilers would give Puljujärvi fourth line time. If Puljujärvi impress the coaching staff at training camp, I feel that he would slot in on the third line. This would cause Kassian to get fourth line time and pk time which he was excellent at last season. And if he doesn't, he would start at the AHL in the beginning of the season then work his way up to the NHL.

But I really feel that the Oilers have faith in Puljujärvi to crack the roster at training camp because of their acquisition of fellow fin Jokinen.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
You just described Cody Franson.

In Buffalo he played a game with significantly less risk than he did in Toronto. Franson moves the puck in the right direction, he has a booming slap shot and can also play the physical game. For one year, he's the most logical player available on the open market.

Yes, but he's poor at man defending and clearing the crease, things that Gryba is better at. With Nurse still shaky at those things, you don't want a pair that's weak at that or Talbot has 10 minutes a night dealing with a tire fire.

Maybe Russell - Franson and Nurse - Benning would be doable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I really want the Oilers to add a player like Jagr or Iginla to the lineup, but unfortunately, it seems like the forward group no longer has room for additions after the acquisition of Jokinen. Adding an extra player would limit the growth of young players like Slepyshev, Caggiula or Puljujärvi. So the questions is, what else do you feel the Oilers should add to their roster for next season?

Sekera stopgap and we are ready to rock and roll.

Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Drai-Strome
Jokinen-RNH-Kassian
Caggiula-Letestu-Slepyshev
Khaira-Pakman

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Nurse - TBD
Gryba

Also holy hell we have SO MANY good lineup options up front. That top 9 is among the best in the league.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I don't think that the Oilers would give Puljujärvi fourth line time. If Puljujärvi impress the coaching staff at training camp, I feel that he would slot in on the third line. This would cause Kassian to get fourth line time and pk time which he was excellent at last season. And if he doesn't, he would start at the AHL in the beginning of the season then work his way up to the NHL.

But I really feel that the Oilers have faith in Puljujärvi to crack the roster at training camp because of their acquisition of fellow fin Jokinen.

I'd love to see Jesse grab that second RW slot in camp, but there's a chance that the offense is not there yet.

IMO, Bakersfield for a few months could help him, but after his difficult experience there last year, I think they have to keep him on the NHL roster, even if it means more cap room and bonuses.

Even if the offense isnt there he's shown a lot of ability in the cycle, on the wall and defensively way beyond most 18 year olds at the NHL level.

So I think there's a good chance he can stick at a bottom 6 role while he works on getting scoring chances at the NHL level, and they can move him up as he improves.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I think in terms of Puljujarvi this year, it'll be like Draisaitl. Plays decent enough in Training Camp but get's sent down when the Regular Season starts. Plays about 10-15 AHL games then comes up and destroys everyone and sticks up here.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think in terms of Puljujarvi this year, it'll be like Draisaitl. Plays decent enough in Training Camp but get's sent down when the Regular Season starts. Plays about 10-15 AHL games then comes up and destroys everyone and sticks up here.

In terms of a best case scenario, yeah it'd be nice. But I'm still not convinced he's an NHL player yet. He'll get an extended look with Jussi on the roster but remember this kid was Bambi last season. I hope he's working hard on those wheels this summer.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It's funny how much the mood on this board has swung in the space of a week.

From "As of today we are a weaker team! Chia is being complacent!" to...well, a much more optimistic outlook than what was here on July 1.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
In terms of a best case scenario, yeah it'd be nice. But I'm still not convinced he's an NHL player yet. He'll get an extended look with Jussi on the roster but remember this kid was Bambi last season. I hope he's working hard on those wheels this summer.

Draisaitl was the same though. He wasn't confident to use his body to his advantage and he wasn't 100% sure on himself too. I think with Jokinen teaching Puljujarvi what he needs to do to stay in the NHL, he'll figure it out faster than we think. And I don't consider that 'the best case scenario'. Best case scenario is he makes the team straight out of training camp. But I can't see that happening.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

From "As of today we are a weaker team! Chia is being complacent!" to...well, a much more optimistic outlook than what was here on July 1.

Chia has shown in the last 2 years that he will utilize the bargain bin. Russell and Jokinen were both solid deals in terms of getting quality players at a reasonable rate after the initial FA frenzy died down.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Omg, high comedy.

All the whiners who think a Chiarelli is so bad should go back and watch Oil Change.

My all time favorite episode is the one with Tambellini and Morey Gare waffling about the Smithson trade.

Ooo, he's good at faceoffs. Ooo, is he worth a 4th round pick?

Go to 37:30
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6UvqC1EbP0

The Smithson trade was non-material either way. A big meh trade.

The funniest part for me was the waffling on giving up an extra pick for Bishop, who eventually went to Tampa.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Pulju is undersold. He is not Pajaarvi. The guy can and will score in a serious way, and i think he's there this coming season. I think he scores 30+ goals in 2017/18. Laugh if you want, but he is legit. The Oilers have a scoring gem in him. I shake my head everytime i hear Flames fans take for granted that Tkatchuk is the better player. Pulju will be making him eat his jock by next season, just like Drai makes Bennett look like a beer leaguer. Pulju is serious business, my dudes.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010

A lot of people are very short sighted, especially when it comes to hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad