Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm not a Franson fan at all.. but I agree that we should sign him. Out of everything that is left for UFA defenseman he makes the most sense and we absolutely need someone that is at the very least making sure Gryba is not in the lineup every night. He also gives us an option as a Sekera replacement on PP.

I would also welcome Oduya or Beauchemin.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Once drai is signed, the obvious move is one more dman. Frans on seems to be the best u f a option. Vegas has a few interesting options as well. Miler is a RHD on a cheap contract. Garrison is overpaid but is on the last year of his deal.

The vegas options probably only cost us a 2020 4th round pick.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Jagr's face is unmistakable.

And what the hell would he be doing at a farmer's market?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well, if speedyturtle posts another "Jj' post, we'll know something's up. :laugh:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
That would be crazy. Only if he would sign for cheap thought 1.5-2.5 is all I'd give untill I know the Draisaitl cap hit

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Would anyone be interested in Markov?

His asking price is still pretty high (2 years @ 6M/each), but if he say lowered to either a 2YR @ 4M type of deal or 1YR @ 5M type of deal, would anyone jump on it.

He'd be a good stopgap until Sekera is back, then he can be relegated to light duties on the 3rd pairing with Nurse.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Markov's too expensive even at $4m. He'd be tying up cap space likely required to load up at the deadline.

A healthy Oilers roster:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Where does he fit?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Markov's too expensive even at $4m. He'd be tying up cap space likely required to load up at the deadline.

A healthy Oilers roster:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Where does he fit?

Easy. Markov would be our #3D. Sekera is a #4D. Russell is a #5D where he should be

It's also Nurse contract year. You want to limit his minutes as much as possible to get him on a sweet deal

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton

A healthy Oilers roster:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Where does he fit?

I do agree 4M is too much, but at the same time I don't want to have a rough start to the season on the back end.

It depends on how long Sekera is gone. If he's gone past January it's more palpable as he can go on LTIR. If he's back before Christmas, we can probably hold the fort. I also don't want to force Sekera into the line up if the 1st half of the season is going rough.

Klefbom -Larsson
Markov - Russell
Nurse - Benning

then

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Markov
Benning

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
A signed Draisaitl, Jagr and another D would make this team a cup contender.
Should be go time before McDavid's contract kicks in.

Move Fayne + 2nd for Garrison (50%) to stay at 50 contracts.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Easy. Markov would be our #3D. Sekera is a #4D. Russell is a #5D where he should be

It's also Nurse contract year. You want to limit his minutes as much as possible to get him on a sweet deal

So you want to remove one of Nurse or Benning completely from the lineup for the next two years? All while using money that could be spent shoring up weaker parts of the roster? Cap space is limited and you want to have a $4m defenseman on our bottom pairing?

I do agree 4M is too much, but at the same time I don't want to have a rough start to the season on the back end.

It depends on how long Sekera is gone. If he's gone past January it's more palpable as he can go on LTIR. If he's back before Christmas, we can probably hold the fort. I also don't want to force Sekera into the line up if the 1st half of the season is going rough.

Klefbom -Larsson
Markov - Russell
Nurse - Benning

then

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Markov
Benning

We don't need to sign someone for two years to cover an injury for two months. It would be a significant waste of cap space--especially in year two, when we need it. I've been pumping Franson's tires because I think he'd fit the role admirably and he'd likely take a one year deal. But it wouldn't shock me if Chia was done with the defense.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
This might make people upset, but I'm fine just 'standing pat'.

Sekera is injured. It gives an opportunity for one of Nurse & Benning to step up into a bigger responsibility and show how they fare. When Sekera returns, we essentially have the same D core as last year, which wasn't bad. We likely would of made it to the 3rd round if Sekera didn't get injured... on top of that, I'd expect at least two of Klef, Benning, and Nurse to take a couple steps forward.

On forwards, we have enough space on the roster to audition Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Strome, and Caggiula for top 6 RW. When the deadline rolls around, we will have a better idea of who we can count on, and adjust accordingly with a deadline deal.

Playoff roster:
Maroon / McDavid / ?
Lucic / Draisaitl / ?
Jokinen / Nuge / ?
? / Letestu / Kassian

RW pecking order will be determined by JP, Slep, Caggiula, and Strome. 4LW is either Caggiula or Khaira I'm guessing. If anything, we could use a veteran RW to provide stability.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We can't afford markov for the 2nd year. He'd be a great add for one year though. He's easily better than Russell, and would really lock our 2nd pair down when seks comes back assuming one of them plays the right side alright. But yeah... can't do that second year unfortunately. And if he was down for just one year I imagine he would have already signed with the habs.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
Polak... maybe? Not sure if that was ever going to happen after Nurse caved his head in.

Cowen? I don't see why. He's was a sub-NHL defenseman on two mediocre NHL teams, one of whom had time for Gryba not too long ago. That reeks of "grass is greener" stuff to me.

Meant to put a ? on my post to ask what posters think about Polak and Cowen.

Not a fan of Gryba as 7d(maybe 8D is okay) as that 7D spot should be for guys like Reinhart, Davidson or Oesterle but we lost them all.

Polak has better foot speed and not as bad handling the puck in d zone, but he might be too expensive(might want more than a $1M).

Agreed on Cowen. Not an ideal 7d for us. Big reclamation project. Word was he's now finally healthy so there might be some interest from teams to offer a 1 yr term with minimal money ideally 2 way deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->