Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Love the Jokinen signing, exactly what we needed imo. If we could sign Franson and MAYBE Jagr if we have enough space/hes willing to come here, i'd really like our lineup

Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisatl - Jagr/Slepy
Jokinen - RNH - Puljujarvi/Slepy
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian
Khaira, Pakarinen

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Nurse - Franson
Fayne/Gryba

Talbot
Brossoit

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Love the Jokinen signing, exactly what we needed imo. If we could sign Franson and MAYBE Jagr if we have enough space/hes willing to come here, i'd really like our lineup

Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisatl - Jagr/Slepy
Jokinen - RNH - Puljujarvi/Slepy
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian
Khaira, Pakarinen

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Nurse - Franson
Fayne/Gryba

Talbot
Brossoit

I'm really not high on bringing in Jagr, but if he's willing to sign a deal similar to Jokinen, I'd consider it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think the other veteran is Beauchemin gives us added insurance for Sekera.

I sincerely hope so, the game appears to have a lot of game left.

Here's the line up I hope for with Beachemin brought in as well.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Strome - Caggiula
Jokinen - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian
Slepyshev, Pakarinen

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Beauchemin - Benning
Gryba

Talbot
Brossoit

Last edited:

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
so you like the idea of getting Jokinen but keeping Puljujarvi in the AHL...
This signing today mean Puljujarvi will get every chance to make the big club this year and even if he goes down to the AHL it wouldnt be for more than a dozen games.

100% ok with. Make our young guys earn there spots or earn there way up the lineup. We are in a spot to try and win. I dont want to just hand guys jobs until they prove they belong

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers should now sign Markov 1 year @ 6 mil. Guy still has it and would be a great 2nd pairing D

77m3rGf.png

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
100% ok with. Make our young guys earn there spots or earn there way up the lineup. We are in a spot to try and win. I dont want to just hand guys jobs until they prove they belong

Agreed. If PJ earns his spot, I'm fine with him starting in the NHL. But we are in a position to try to win, and not just hand out roster spots because of somebody's draft position.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm really not high on bringing in Jagr, but if he's willing to sign a deal similar to Jokinen, I'd consider it.

I'd like to have an all-time great in Jagr play a season with McDavid (I don't mean on the same line but you never know). I think it would be good for Mcdavid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo this is what we should assume for bonuses next season. We CANNOT allow overage, so we need to be conservative now.

McDavid: 2.85
Puljujarvi: 2.5

So that's 5.35 we should assume is guaranteed, and imo of the remaining 2 million in bonuses, we should assume half, so that's 6.5-ish

And that puts our cap space at around 10-11 million, before signing Drai

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
Is RNH+ for Trouba a possibility?

probably not. Cheveldayoff is known as a GM who never makes big moves. Even if he did they are set at C with Little and Scheif. And they aren't light on wingers either. If we want Trouba it probably starts with a leftie like Klefbom which is an absolute no no for us

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
imo this is what we should assume for bonuses next season. We CANNOT allow overage, so we need to be conservative now.

McDavid: 2.85
Puljujarvi: 2.5

So that's 5.35 we should assume is guaranteed, and imo of the remaining 2 million in bonuses, we should assume half, so that's 6.5-ish

And that puts our cap space at around 10-11 million, before signing Drai

There's nothing close to guaranteed about Puljujarvi's bonuses. 1.7M-2M of that will be exceptionally difficult for him to get. Although I don't think you're overall point is wrong. But Puljujarvi hitting his max bonuses would require him to have a year similar to the one Draisaitl just put up (not the one he put up the year before).

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
There's nothing close to guaranteed about Puljujarvi's bonuses. 1.7M-2M of that will be exceptionally difficult for him to get. Although I don't think you're overall point is wrong. But Puljujarvi hitting his max bonuses would require him to have a year similar to the one Draisaitl just put up (not the one he put up the year before).

I think if planned for around $5M - $5.5M in bonuses to be paid out, we should be relatively safe.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
About the time I figure out the salary cap portion of the CBA there'll be another lockout

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd have to think if they were going to add another forward... they'd likely do it at the deadline when they have a better idea where they are at going into the playoffs (hopefully).

They'll want to see what players have exceeded expectations at that ~60 game mark, what players have underperformed... how their overall roster looks at that point as far as weak areas that need filling before the playoffs... what the roster looks like as far as injuries go etc.

If anything right now I could see them adding another cheap depth dman before the season starts but I think with Stanton/Fayne in the org that's not a huge priority for Chia either.

Personally I would add another D now because D depth is always good to have.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As far as bonuses go, you just consider McDavid to eat 3.775M of cap from the start and you should probably leave about 1M buffer on top of that. There's no world where Puljujarvi is going to receive any Schedule B bonuses - that requires a major trophy win or for him to be top-10 in goals or something.

The Oilers theoretically have more cap for a defenseman than they do a forward, because a defenseman would push Mark Fayne out and they would reclaim some cap. If Draisaitl makes 8M and Mark Fayne were demoted, they should have over 7M in cap space AFTER McDavid's bonus money.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's not about what's likely to happen with bonuses. It's about how extreme our need for cap space for the 2018-19 season, and whether it's worth risking that future cap to spend now.

And all it would take for JP to hit his bonuses is if he ended up on McDavid's line. That really could happen.

And probably all it would take for someone like Nurse or Benning to get some kind of bonus is to finish top 4 in ice time, and what that would do to their stats. All it would take is some injuries, and for the players to take a step forward in development. Again, that's not a long shot at all.

We shouldn't assume next season progresses for these young players the exact same as it did the season previous

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think everybody is too caught up on adding a vet RW. I think the Oilers are pretty set at forward.

What they really need is a vet Dman fill in for the couple or more months that Sekera is out, can't have Gryba playing full time top 6 minutes with Simpson as the first call up. The depth has been a bit decimated with the loss of Davidson, Reinhart and Oesterle. I think Beauchemin or Franson would be a welcome and needed addition.

Actually, I forgot about Fayne. Maybe they'll have him split time with Gryba depending on matchups. Still think they need a better stopgap.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We need a forward on PTO and a depth Dman to push Gryba\Fayne for the #6 spot until Sekera returns.

To start the season we will have:
Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse- Gryba\Fayne

Just not very impressive!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

These players need a chance to prove they belong..

None of Nurse, Brossoit, Benning, Caggiula, Slepychev etc PROVED anything until they were given chances to fail and rebound. Puljujarvi needs a long look and should be pencilled into our lineup to start. We are in a situation where a player like him can develop at his pace on the 3rd line with a mentor a Jokinen.

Oilers shouldnt treat Puljujarvi like a Pakarinen or Khaira but instead like Draisaitl or Nurse. Get him all the help he can get to succeed. He is an elite prospect. There is no reason for him to spent the entire next season in the AHL..

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the forwards are more or less set.

Sign Beaucheman to a 1 year 1.5 mill and call it a summer.

Maroon McDavid Nuge
Lucic Draisaitl Caggiula
Jokinen Strome Puljujarvi
Slepyshev Letestu Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Benning
Beaucheman Nurse

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
So far so good.
The writing was on the wall for Ebs as soon as Chia took over, we'll see how Strome pans out but I'm expecting to be pleasently surprised. Big deal here is cap and flexibility in the lineup.
JJ was a great signing, hopefully he bounces back instead continuing last year, but even last year would be ok when you factor in his versatility and the JP effect.
Poo buyout... I was expecting a trade with retention where we gave up a pick and took back a nobody contract so whatever, glad he's gone.
Conner's contract is good. Hopefully Leon's is reasonable too, he's looking great but I'd hate to overpay for a career year playing on Conners wing.

Expect one or two more sneaky signings/trades like JJ that aren't exactly front page news but help us a lot. The possibility also exists for one more big name trade assuming the right deal comes along .

Anyways, so far so good. Would like to see something on D if the right name comes along but I think we're done on big names until we get a number on Drai.

Have a good summer everyone!

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Not really. Trouba took a massive step forward last season and may have been Winnipeg's best d man.
That's fine but Trouba is a rfa he is going to want 6 plus on a 7 year deal we cant add that without losing even more talent up front , also one of Bear Mantha or Jones will step up next couple of years at a lot lower cost we also have Nurse to extend just not enough cap to add him. Nuge will be moved for a younger Forward with good upside . The top 5 on this defence after Nurse is signed is good to go till 20,21 minimum .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille