Pre-Game Talk: Round 3, SENS in Pittsburgh, Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wow! That is high praise.

For clarity in the lineup as in playing or added to roster as Black Ace?

What a crazy year for him if he gets in to the Cup Finals!

Boucher could not risk getting him in early in the season when we all thought that was the most sensible time yet now he may make it in during the most intense and important games of the year.

In the lineup.

In saying that, this news is 2ish weeks old (heard it when I was in Saint John for their 3rd round series), so things may have changed the deeper they went.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
There's no way Chabot gets in the Finals.(Unless we are really, really, really, really short on defence).

Forget the vCash, I'll bet my left nut on that one! :sarcasm:

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
It's pretty pathetic. I've heard quotes like 'Washington really screwed up, if they only beat pittsburgh, not only would they had made it to the 3rd round for the first time with this core, but also had Ottawa served to them on a silver platter'

This is on the official nhl network on XM. The level of disrespect is at an absurd level. I get being underdogs but this is just becoming unprofessional.

It's fine, it'll make it all the more embarrassing for them if we win the series. I fully plan on sending a hilarious, scarcastic and condescending email or phone call to some of these hosts if we make it to the SCF. Asking them if they got used to smelling their own ***** while their heads were up their @sses.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Hey guys.....Took me a couple days to recuperate. Congratulations to you and your teams series win......Showed us what heart means, and how far it could get you. We've been fortunate (as fans) being pretty successful all these recent years, but still with no cup to show for it.
Apparently my team didn't want it enough (not taking anything away from the Sens) but, the bottom line is your team did what they needed to do, my team didn't.
So......Wishing you guys Godspeed and take it to them! They might not have that much left in the tank....But for God's sake, don't take them for granted, it'll be tough, but you guys can win, and am hoping for that.....

Oh and btw, sorry about the Pageau pic....That I thought was his first goal, I put it up more for the "funniness" of it, more than the history.

Class :heart:

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Judging by a certain thread on the stanley cup playoffs board I expect Blackhawks fans to be cheering for us to pull off the upset :laugh:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It really is easy to get greedy when you surpass expectations. If you told me a month ago that we'd end up getting destroyed by the Pens/Caps in the ECF, I would have taken it and would consider it a successful season.

Now that we're here, I realize a lot had to go right for us to be here and we have an opportunity to do something big. This chance doesn't come often.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It really is easy to get greedy when you surpass expectations. If you told me a month ago that we'd end up getting destroyed by the Pens/Caps in the ECF, I would have taken it and would consider it a successful season.

Now that we're here, I realize a lot had to go right for us to be here and we have an opportunity to do something big. This chance doesn't come often.

The fact that it's one of our hated rivals probably contributes to that too. I don't know if I can take another loss to that ******** Crosby.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess at tomorrow's lineup:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Stalberg - Wingels - Burrows - Dzingel could play, if Stalberg is still injured.
- Neil & Stalberg are day to day

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Claesson - Wideman - IMO once Boro is healthy, he should replace Claesson
- Boro is day to day

Anderson -Condon

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
^i like it but i want smith as the 4th line center maybe a bottom 6 of

burrows-pageau-pyatt
stalberg-smith-wingels

just because we cant afford to give away draws and smith is good at them

could still give smith an extra shift here and there but cant be giving stuff away imo

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Sure, he did that, but I don't think our chances of moving on to the SCF rely even remotely on Burrows getting more GWAs.

I'll be happy if he contributes, but I'm not counting on him being a "key factor".

Anyone who comes up big is a key factor. Burrows is capable of that, and in fact has done it more than once in these playoffs. He has assists on a couple of important goals (they're all important when you win by one), including Turris's Game 6 beauty against Boston, which Burrows made possible with a ferocious hit and puck recovery on Drew Stafford.
Defensive plays are harder to catalogue, but he's been a staunch defender, shot blocker and trusted PKer, and broke up a potential tying goal while defending late against an extra attacker.
All key plays, made by a key player.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Anyone who comes up big is a key factor. Burrows is capable of that, and in fact has done it more than once in these playoffs. He has assists on a couple of important goals (they're all important when you win by one), including Turris's Game 6 beauty against Boston, which Burrows made possible with a ferocious hit and puck recovery on Drew Stafford.
Defensive plays are harder to catalogue, but he's been a staunch defender, shot blocker and trusted PKer, and broke up a potential tying goal while defending late against an extra attacker.

When you get deep into the playoffs there are always stories about players coming up big and those stories usually come from players on the 3rd and 4th lines. The successful teams make these types of players playoff legends in addition to the big contributions from the top guys.

We've been fortunate that so far almost every player has been contributing to the success. One game it's Pageau, then it's Ryan, then it's Neil, then it's Burrows. On top of Karlsson, Turris heroics. It's been great and that's why I really like the Sens' chances here, the Pens can be had if it continues.

Of course the Pens are favourites but so what. I give Boucher lots of credit here, every player has a defined role and pretty much every one of them are delivering, it's great.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

When you get deep into the playoffs there are always stories about players coming up big and those stories usually come from players on the 3rd and 4th lines. The successful teams make these types of players playoff legends in addition to the big contributions from the top guys.

We've been fortunate that so far almost every player has been contributing to the success. One game it's Pageau, then it's Ryan, then it's Neil, then it's Burrows. On top of Karlsson, Turris heroics. It's been great and that's why I really like the Sens' chances here, the Pens can be had if it continues.

Of course the Pens are favourites but so what. I give Boucher lots of credit here, every player has a defined role and pretty much every one of them are delivering, it's great.

Good Posts.
I Agree Sens need to do it by committee , every body chipping in. Total commitment to team D. Staying out of the P-box will be key to holding off the Pens. Their PP can be deadly.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I feel like GB will try to get EK away from Crosby, so Ceci/Phaneuf will be matched against Sid , along with Pageau, while EK will play mostly against the Malkin line. I a probably wrong and the exact opposite will happen.

GB should not play these 2 pylons together...it's just asking for trouble, like the Grabner fly-bys in last series, but much worse . IMO he should split up 2 & 5...(or forget 5, play Harpur instead)

Last edited:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
IMO this is Ryan's big chance to really break through, and show his true offensive class. He has already shown flashes of superstar skills, and is looking pretty healthy lately. With his big body and the ability to control the puck and make plays and snipe and pass, well,...maybe he plays a big role in helping EK bring us the Cup ;)

Bank Street Parade route, down Bronson from the airport, hard right onto Wellie, past Justin's office, thru Byward...no, end there for beers.

Last edited:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Meanwhile in Santa's workshop, the elves are burning the midnight candle to build a super GDT featuring lots of Maple LEAVES (red ones), showing CANADA's TEAM taking on the dirty birds...

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'd like to see the scoring/talent wingers mixed up a bit...

Smith - Pageau - Stone. Top line from the end of last season. This line should gets the majority of playing time against Crosby. Stone as the fore-checker to intercept passes when the Pens gain possession in their end. Since Crosby isn't a big guy, he's a better match for Pageau who I think would be less useful against Malkin's style of game play. Smith and Peageu are also good for keeping defense-men honest when the Sens ice the puck. If the Sens gain control on a defensive zone face-off, Stone is smart and will do a good job of setting up a zone entry with Ceci/Karlsson/Wideman for a shot on net or a OZ face-off.

Hoffman - Brassard - Burrows (I like this line for DZ starts and Malkin. Brass and Burrows are skilled veterans and will best know how to try and contain that second line. Hoffman to break free for whatever counter attack they can muster. I don't imagine we will see a lot of 3 on 2's with this line, but instead I can see these guys getting a lot for a 1 on 1 looks when the puck breaks free.

Mac - Turris - Ryan (Best line we have to get generate consistent offensive pressure. OZ starts and PP time as best we can to avoid getting checked)

Stalberg - Wingels - Pyatt (All three can all maintain pressure on the puck carrier with skating and board work. The goal here would be to buy time for line changes and get zone exits when our top-2 lines tire out. Any offensive zone pressure would be gravy.) I can also see Stalberg - Pyatt - Dzingel working as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille