Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 2: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am sure it is just my paranoia, but Patrick comes from a hockey family, has had high expectations on him and wants to succeed. There are many cases of players that have concussion symptoms and hide it. I really hope he truly is 100% and not just sucking it up because the team needs him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The good thing about the nhl and nfl concussion protocol is that its very hard to hide concussion symptoms. You take a baseline test in the offseason, and then after suffering a potential concussion you take the test again and your ability to recall is measured against your baseline. Its a pretty accurate indicator.

I suspect he did note suffer a concussion in the previous game. If he was fully dressed and in the pressbox exposed to lights, sounds, smells and engaging in conversation then It is likely there was no concussion.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
The good thing about the nhl and nfl concussion protocol is that its very hard to hide concussion symptoms. You take a baseline test in the offseason, and then after suffering a potential concussion you take the test again and your ability to recall is measured against your baseline. Its a pretty accurate indicator.

I suspect he did note suffer a concussion in the previous game. If he was fully dressed and in the pressbox exposed to lights, sounds, smells and engaging in conversation then It is likely there was no concussion.

Ok. Good to know.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
yet he sure did look like his bell got rung something fierce with the way he wobbled off the ice and in toward the locker room

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
First indication will be whether or not he participates in the morning skate.

... I believe he has been practicing with the Team the past view days... with contact allowed. Not 100% sure he did so on the morning skates... but I assumed he did.

I don't understand how he could do physical activity and have contact if he is still having PCS effects which dictate his not being allowed to play... according to procedure... if he has any effects, wouldn't they fear further injury with the activity? Something seems odd to me here... am I missing something?

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
... I believe he has been practicing with the Team the past view days... with contact allowed. Not 100% sure he did so on the morning skates... but I assumed he did.

I don't understand how he could do physical activity and have contact if he is still having PCS effects which dictate his not being allowed to play... according to procedure... if he has any effects, wouldn't they fear further injury with the activity? Something seems odd to me here... am I missing something?
Yeah, it's bizarre. Maybe he has an abscessed boil on his ass or something, and this time the team has the courtesy to not tell the world.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well as we have speculated, symptoms can crop up several days afterwards so they probably wanted to be 100% sure nothing was going to surface before getting him back in the lineup. If he had any symptoms he would not be practicing.

Reactions: Stizzle

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Well as we have speculated, symptoms can crop up several days afterwards so they probably wanted to be 100% sure nothing was going to surface before getting him back in the lineup. If he had any symptoms he would not be practicing.

You're suggesting no symptoms but they are using precautionary measures and holding him back just to be safe?

Makes safe... after Lindros and Primeau etal... look at Pronger who came back to play and then that was the end for him... I guess not much different with Primeau in his last bout with it.

... better safe than sorry... no arguments here.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Please... let's not get into another string of boil posts again. LOL

aid2773235-v4-728px-Boil-Chicken-Step-19.jpg

Reactions: Tripod

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Its just boils down to baseline tests. If he feels 100% but is still failing them, then he can't play. Hockey players are stupid, let alone rookies, They want to be out there regardless of their own health.

Reactions: Rebels57

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yep, Landeskog's playerstribune article is great read regarding the topic.

Still as much as Patrick was talked about as a sure thing other than few moments here or there I was expecting much more.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ I noticed the designation prior to last night's game when the official NHL box score had Ghost and Weise listed as scratches. Any IR players are not listed as scratches. The move to IR was done before the game vs. Arizona but retroactive.

At this time of year, NHL teams can only list three players max as scratches. The move was done with the expectation that a third player will eventually be scratched whether (now) O'Neill or another d-man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad