Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 2: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
How has bunnaman looked?

I don't want to, you know, put the cart ahead of the horse, but he has more or less displayed everything you'd need to see to say that he is an ironclad mortal-lock first-ballot Hockey Hall of Famer. His strength is off the charts, as are his leadership skills. He is the captain of his junior team and would be the captain of the Flyers if we didn't already have a good captain. I reckon they sent him back to juniors out of a deep-seeded sense of altruism - they basically want to ensure that the sport remains in healthy shape in Canada, and there is no better example of how to conduct yourself as a hockey player and a human being (or rabbit) than Bunny. Here is a visual representation of my feelings for him - if you have epilepsy, turn away now.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif
-TWICE-TT-M-V-kpop-39969497-500-200.gif
tenor.gif

8c45e3685a0c2783d5a79d116841df508e8a50cd_hq.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good thing he wasn't set back to the WHL to work on his health.
We're gonna regret that if he gets hurt, instead of being completely safe in the WHL (where nobody ever gets injured).

On an unrelated note, can someone remind me where he was playing when he got all these past injuries? And where he got his most recent injury misdiagnosed? Can't seem to remember... hmmmm...

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
We're gonna regret that if he gets hurt, instead of being completely safe in the WHL (where nobody ever gets injured).

On an unrelated note, can someone remind me where he was playing when he got all these past injuries? And where he got his most recent injury misdiagnosed? Can't seem to remember... hmmmm...

I also can't think of any prospects of ours getting injured in juniors in recent years.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
This thread is pretty quiet.....after 7 games how do you think he has looked? For me my main concerns for Patrick has materialized.

He lacks quickness, burst and speed, I don't know if it's a surgery issue or not but he needs to improve this if he wants to take the next level, because his other skills are very very good.

His vision is better than I thought and his stickhandling is much better than I thought and we all know he has a very good wrist shot, but he is struggling in carrying play right now and always seems to be behind or when he has good space, it's easy to catch up to him to negate that space. Right now his mobility is not average for the NHL, it is below average and if it stays below average, I don't see how he takes that next level.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He desperately needs a play driver on his line right. As neither Konecny or Weise can do that. That line is getting caved in possession & the dam is going to break soon in goals against.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Weal - Filppula - Simmonds
Raffl - Patrick - Konecny
Leier - Laughton - Read
Weise
Lehtera

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He lacks quickness, burst and speed, I don't know if it's a surgery issue or not but he needs to improve this if he wants to take the next level, because his other skills are very very good.

I think Ghost and G being back to their best velocity is showing us the benefits of time after that same (or nearly the same) surgery that Nolan had, so I'd expect to see him moving much better next season. Having said that, Magua and others with good eyes for skating could tell us more about specifically what he needs to work on, because I can't remember what they said before and just after the draft, but they know what they are talking about.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick is just fine, it's 7 games, he's got hockey IQ off the charts, just has to get stronger (which will happen as the season progresses, Ghost and G were better by March, Patrick is younger and his surgery was less severe, so I think we'll start seeing his skating perk up around January).

He's never going to be a speedster, but to me he looks like a younger, bigger more skilled version of Couts.
You could do worse.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
7 games just isn't a long enough sample (provorov took about 20 to look comfortable). I think its safe to say he isnt going to be a Matthews type of player but no one expected that. He is a step slow but I think part of it is confidence as he looks hesitant to take offensive risk.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
After not training all offseason and having a surgery that impacts your skating, we are seeing what I expected. Assuming he ends the year healthy, next offseason will be very important for him and you will see a big jump in speed.

And to agree with deadhead, he does remind me of Couts...IQ/smarts makes up for lack of speed.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He brings so much more skill to the table than Couts its not even funny. In just the short amount of time we have been able to see patrick play , he has legit offensive talent. I would say right now, speed is his biggest physical flaw holding him back, but he is certainly much faster than Couts as a rookie, and couts has improved dramatically in terms of his skating. If you apply that same logic to patrick's skating i believe patrick's skating will not hinder him in the future.

He has great hands, is a pinpoint accurate passer, and comes out of the boards with the pucks more than any rookie i can recall. This kid is showing more than I expected his rookie year. I would not be surprised if he takes over for flip's spot on the pp and starts really gelling with that unit.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
And to agree with deadhead, he does remind me of Couts...IQ/smarts makes up for lack of speed.

I can see the Couts similarities in terms of thinking and anticipating well and committing to a two-way game.

Couts is physically ahead of Nolan, but that gap will close.

Nolan's hands and skills with the puck are already ahead of Couts, imo.

By the end of the season, I think Patrick's skating will be ahead of Couts. We'll see.

Reactions: Jtown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->