WC: Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

We have our issues but I'll still take that defense over the bottom two forward lines the U.S has at this thing.

Not many world beaters there.

Canada and the U.S have a lot of minefields to go through before earning any medals here but I like our chances more then the U.S.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Yes and no, at forward you guys look good but a lot of your D-men are plodders who may suck on the international ice surface. Still, in terms of pure personnel, you guys have the top squad.

I would say that's true of Phaneuf and Schenn, the rest are perfectly fine.

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
Oh you mean Jesse Winchester, who he is good friends with and has trained with in the offseason? The gate wasn't closed properly because it was at the end of a 55-second shift and Canucks players were already jumping the boards.

Ron Maclean planted that seed in everyone's head when he blurted out something when he first saw it along the lines of "think he did that on purpose?"

exactly.

when it comes to burrows, i wish i could somehow show the rest of the league how unjust all the criticism is. i'd rather die than stand up for guys like kesler, but burrows is all heart and team Canada just got a lot better.

Seanconn*

really hope RNH gets to play more than Burrows. He has a lot more to offer to the team as RNH is a great centerman. RNH is dangerous no matter where he plays, he could work on the fourth line. But he could definitely benefit from playing with third line talent. (Team Canada third line talent :laugh: ... which is first line on most NHL teams)

Can't object to the addition of Burrows to the team tough. A lot of players declined, and he's definitely dangerous on the fourth line. He may not be the most respectable character as another poster has mentioned, but he's a talented hockey player. There's no need to deny a good player a spot on the roster.

He's nothing more than a fourth liner on Team Canada, but maybe we can use him.

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009
i really like the Canadian roster this year. compared to the last couple years, pretty deep. so young, and just going to get better for the next olympics.

some tough decisions coming up for 2014 in Sochi. even tougher than 2010.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
really hope RNH gets to play more than Burrows. He has a lot more to offer to the team as RNH is a great centerman. RNH is dangerous no matter where he plays, he could work on the fourth line. But he could definitely benefit from playing with third line talent. (Team Canada third line talent :laugh: ... which is first line on most NHL teams)

Can't object to the addition of Burrows to the team tough. A lot of players declined, and he's definitely dangerous on the fourth line. He may not be the most respectable character as another poster has mentioned, but he's a talented hockey player. There's no need to deny a good player a spot on the roster.

He's nothing more than a fourth liner on Team Canada, but maybe we can use him.

Burr is a fantastic penalty killer, and can eat minutes up so the top players on the team aren't having to be overplayed. He's a reliable player defensively too.

Burr is far from useless, on any team. Canada has lots of uses for him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Very disappointed Burrows is on the team. Not the kind of character I want representing Canada.

"Not that kind of character"? What? Heart and soul character? He's not as respected, but that's what happens when you agitate.

Burr is a great option for a 4th line role.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Updated my lines:

Kane-Getzlaf-Perry (Remeber Nash-Getz and Heater ?)
Skinner-Tavares-Eberle(Goals much ?)
Burrows-Oreilly-Sharp(shutdown !!!!!)
Benn-Purcell-Ladd
RNH

Keith-Vlasic
Schenn-Subban
Bouwmeester-Phaneuf
Methot

Ward
Hackett(Wild bias)
Dubnyk

Dubnyk was the player of the match and RNH was the 3rd star and 2nd best forward. Dubnyk will probably step aside for Ward, but he'll likely back him up. And RNH isn't going to be benched. Sutter owns RNH's WHL team and reportedly loves the kid.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
People dislike Burrows, might as well just accept that fact. I know Vancouver fans like him but can you guys not understand why other teams fans hate the guy?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yes and no, at forward you guys look good but a lot of your D-men are plodders who may suck on the international ice surface. Still, in terms of pure personnel, you guys have the top squad.

and then you look at the States third and fourth line and it's like no big deal.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
Very refreshing to see the Oilers' players have a good showing in their exhibition game. Having said that, I'm not sure why Dubnyk is looking like such a bad option to some people. Even just comparing his stats from last season to Cam Ward's:

Dubnyk: 2.67 GAA, .914 SV
Ward: 2.74 GAA, .915 SV

Ward certainly has history going for him, but this year anyway, Dubnyk is just as good an option, maybe even a better one.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Dubnyk was the player of the match and RNH was the 3rd star and 2nd best forward. Dubnyk will probably step aside for Ward, but he'll likely back him up. And RNH isn't going to be benched. Sutter owns RNH's WHL team and reportedly loves the kid.
He's also likely trying to become the head coach of the Oilers and knows getting an endorsement from Dubnyk and RNH probably wouldn't hurt his chances.

Very refreshing to see the Oilers' players have a good showing in their exhibition game. Having said that, I'm not sure why Dubnyk is looking like such a bad option to some people. Even just comparing his stats from last season to Cam Ward's:

Ward certainly has history going for him, but this year anyway, Dubnyk is just as good an option, maybe even a better one.
You have a point. Dubnyk is underrated around here.

...but lets be honest. Going into the Gold Medal game, I don't care about stats. I want the guy that has been a #1 for 5 years, has a cup and has won the Conn Smythe.

Lux Aurumque*

I think this is Ryan Murray's chance to take the #1 overall spot. Edmonton needs a franchise defenseman. A really good tournament could put some ideas into Tambellini's head.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
You have a point. Dubnyk is underrated around here.

...but lets be honest. Going into the Gold Medal game, I don't care about stats. I want the guy that has been a #1 for 5 years, has a cup and has won the Conn Smythe.
With that Logic, guys like Fleury and Luongo should have been lights out these playoffs since they've got all the pedigree behind them. Goalies are unexpected as hell in this regard.

I think Ward will get played cause he played on the rebels :sarcasm:

I think this is Ryan Murray's chance to take the #1 overall spot. Edmonton needs a franchise defenseman. A really good tournament could put some ideas into Tambellini's head.
He'll have to be pretty damn impressive to change Tambo's mind at this point. One good WHC won't change his stock a great deal, since he is expected to go 2/3 in either case - just like a crappy playoffs didn't really lower Yakupov's stock; his performance the rest of the time was just THAT good.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
People dislike Burrows, might as well just accept that fact. I know Vancouver fans like him but can you guys not understand why other teams fans hate the guy?

And people who don't really know him and don't really judge his talent objectively should chill out a bit and let him show what he is capable of. Lot's of piling on from this board, can you accept that fact? He is much more than a fourth line agitator.

NJHABSFAN

Jan 22, 2009
Swamps of Joisey
Any Team Canada fans in the states, and if so do you think the NHL network will be showing the games? I couldn't find any broadcast schedule. Every year I say Im going to buy a Canadian Bell dish and throw it on my roof and every year these tournaments come around and I have to hope they show them here
thanks in advance for the info

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

And one started 42 games and the other started 68. You don't see how that might affect a goalie's stats?

Besides, worse comes to worst, Canada can use Ward's goal-scoring abilities. Never hurts to have another goal-scoring threat. :D

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

Other teams might not like playing against him, but Burrows is a player that every GM in the league would snap up in an instant if given the opportunity. And there are few fanbases would not want him on their team, that is if they wanted a player who can play 1st, 2nd or 3rd line, kills penalties and has a knack for scoring clutch goals.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Any Team Canada fans in the states, and if so do you think the NHL network will be showing the games? I couldn't find any broadcast schedule. Every year I say Im going to buy a Canadian Bell dish and throw it on my roof and every year these tournaments come around and I have to hope they show them here
thanks in advance for the info

I think if you check the Team USA thread there was a post a couple pages back about the coverage, I think one of the bigger networks is showing 16 games or something like that. You might not get every Team Canada game, but you'll get a couple, and you will for sure get the Canada vs. USA game on saturday morning (May 5th).

Edit: Okay I couldn't find it. Maybe check online somewhere.

Edit:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=48790031&postcount=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad