WC: Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not concerned with what HFer's think of Burrows... but I would be interested to hear what some of the opposing players who have played against him and his antics have to say about being on the same team.

I don't like it.

Not taking anything away talent wise from Burrows, but the guy is flat out a piece of **** on the ice and wouldn't surprise me if some players just straight up don't like the guy regardless how nice he is off the ice.
The same can be said about others on that roster. Don't let your hate cloud your judgement. There are just as bug pieces of **** around the league that would probably make the team. Like Marchand, Lucic and Ott

Baba Booey

Apr 3, 2012
Ontario
Im not reading 6 pages of people arguing so can someone tell me why Burrows got picked? What happened to Seguin, Weiss etc.?

Edit Nevermind I found out why.

Last edited:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Burrows looks 24, acts 12 and is the oldest member of the team, what a world lol.
Will there be a link to a stream from Swiss television tomorrow?!

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think Perry should be captain.

Same age as Getzlaf and Ladd, former Rocket Richard and Hart winner and never says no to playing for Canada.

He was the only member from the Olympic team that also played for the World Championship.

keslerbomb

Dec 13, 2011
Victoria
I think Perry should be captain.

Same age as Getzlaf and Ladd, former Rocket Richard and Hart winner and never says no to playing for Canada.

He was the only member from the Olympic team that also played for the World Championship.
What about Keith? Also, Burr for captain!

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Canada can add up to 25 players. They have 23 right now. 13 forwards, 7 Defenseman, and 3 goalies. They can still add one forward and one on the backend. Hopefully they will still add a Spezza, Weiss, etc. up front. In addition, to all the European posters in this forum, I want to make it perfectly clear, the reason why you love this tournament so much is that it gives you bragging rights when you beat our C team; giving the opportunity to throw it in our face about these meaningless tournament. I remember

how the European posters flooded with their anti-Canada rhetoric in boards like this. 2010 Olympics was best on best, and the next one will be in Sochi. These tournaments do not mean a thing this time of the year, when the NHL playoffs are king. I do not personally care if we win or lose, but hope that guys like Tavares, Eberle and Kane get some meaningful experience on the big ice in preparation for Sochi 2014. You have these European teams playing together all the year, and we have to rely on guys that missed the playoffs and gel them together in a week or two. Anyways, good luck to Canada. This tournament is beloved in Europe and not Canada, just like the WJC.

MyNameIsNobody*

Canada can add up to 25 players. They have 23 right now. 13 forwards, 7 Defenseman, and 3 goalies. They can still add one forward and one on the backend. Hopefully they will still add a Spezza, Weiss, etc. up front. In addition, to all the European posters in this forum, I want to make it perfectly clear, the reason why you love this tournament so much is that it gives you bragging rights when you beat our C team; giving the opportunity to throw it in our face about these meaningless tournament. I remember

how the European posters flooded with their anti-Canada rhetoric in boards like this. 2010 Olympics was best on best, and the next one will be in Sochi. These tournaments do not mean a thing this time of the year, when the NHL playoffs are king. I do not personally care if we win or lose, but hope that guys like Tavares, Eberle and Kane get some meaningful experience on the big ice in preparation for Sochi 2014. You have these European teams playing together all the year, and we have to rely on guys that missed the playoffs and gel them together in a week or two. Anyways, good luck to Canada. This tournament is beloved in Europe and not Canada, just like the WJC.

HC needs to Add Spezza...Bring him along...let the players fight for a spot...That's what they do in the NHL...why not here...Is this Lowe's idea to not include him? Let him concentrate on rebuilding the Oilers...so far the oilers went from Last to Second Last..LOL

Baba Booey

Apr 3, 2012
Ontario
HC needs to Add Spezza...Bring him along...let the players fight for a spot...That's what they do in the NHL...why not here...Is this Lowe's idea to not include him? Let him concentrate on rebuilding the Oilers...so far the oilers went from Last to Second Last..LOL

He just had a kid.

MyNameIsNobody*

He just had a kid.

mmm...I've been reading reports that he (Spezza) Called HC and wanted to be on the Team...See previous posts for the links...and Hockey Canada said no...HC needs to make room for Spezza...

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
I hope Dion's the captain just so everyone gets mad. :sarcasm:

But really it'd be nice to see him do well and maybe get a letter on his shirt.

Hopefully Canada has a good tourney.

Vandelay Industries

Nov 5, 2008
Normally it doesn't but with a tournament like this you may have to play with some of those opposing players.

My concern is more of a rift in the room.

If the players are cool with it, obviously I am.

Ive met him outside of hockey and he's one of those players that morons on the ice to other teams, but to his own teammates, and to the fans that he meets, hes a great person and im willing to bet his teammates will love him during the tournament.(even if only for the duration of the tournament)

LadyM

I ain't even mad
Mar 4, 2011

Spezza won't be joining the team. He contacted Team Canada to join & they told him the team was already set.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Spezza won't be joining the team. He contacted Team Canada to join & they told him the team was already set.

I saw that as well. I would rather have Spezza over Burrows. I honestly do not feel that Spezza is not in the good books for Hockey Canada for whatever reason. He did not have a good tournament the last time he was there, so I simply think they wanted nothing to do with him. Maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:

Baba Booey

Apr 3, 2012
Ontario
mmm...I've been reading reports that he (Spezza) Called HC and wanted to be on the Team...See previous posts for the links...and Hockey Canada said no...HC needs to make room for Spezza...

Sorry my mistake. In that case Spezza> Purcell, Burrows and whoever Adam Mitchell is, especially on big ice. Pluss if going to this tourney had anything to do with selection for Sochi then they should want guys who have a chance at going. Spezza does have an outside shot at going.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Ive met him outside of hockey and he's one of those players that morons on the ice to other teams, but to his own teammates, and to the fans that he meets, hes a great person and im willing to bet his teammates will love him during the tournament.(even if only for the duration of the tournament)

That's good to hear.

After thinking about it... I don't think people in charge of TC would put a loose cannon who they thought would be an issue.

They always do background checks on these guys whether it's coaches, players, gms, scouts ect... I am sure they are making their best attempt to assemble the best team possible and if they feel Burrows fits that mold, so be it.

I guess for a month or so I willl have to chee-....ugh... tolerate Burrows being on a team I like :laugh:

RealHartTrophy01*

Hey everyone! Just wanted to wish all the teams the best! Canada has a very good team and would've liked to seen spezza play too. Eberle will be interesting that's for sure

FlamesCanadiens

Jan 25, 2012
You know that more than one person plays PK, right?

You do know that if you can't make the first pk unit on a second last pk team in the conference, doesn't make you better than a player who plays the most minutes on a team with top 5 PK in the conference.

There is no argument, Bouwmeester is blatantly the better defensive player and penalty killer. Nobody has his skating ability in the league, combine that with his long reach, he is one of the best defensive defense men in the league.

FlamesCanadiens

Jan 25, 2012
1. Benn- Tavares- Eberle (Skilled line with tons of offensive skill)

2. Sharp- Getzlaf- Perry (Very responsible offensive line THAT is just as good playing defense, they're going to be one of the lines that play the most. All three players are known for their offensive AND defensive play)

3. Kane- Nugent Hopkins - Skinner (SPEEDY skilled offensive line, good for the big ice)

4. Ladd - O' Reilly - Burrows (Primary two way line, all players are well known two way players in the NHL. They're gritty and also are skilled offensively)

Defense
1. Subban- Keith
2. Bouwmeester- Phaneuf
3. Vlasic- Methot

Goal:
1.Ward
2.Dubnyk

PK:
1. Ladd - O'Reilly: Bouwmeester- Keith
2. Burrows- Getzlaf: Subban- Vlasic

PP:
1. Benn- Taveres- Eberle: Subban- Keith
2. Sharp - Getzlaf - Perry : Phaenuf: Bouwmeester
*Really, it can be any of the forward lines that play best together.

Captain- Getzlaf (Natural leader, Olympian, skilled at both ends of ice)
Alternate- Tavares (A lot of successful experience for Team Canada at the worlds and lower levels)
Alternate- Phaneuf

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Kane-Getzlaf-Perry- I like keeping teammates together. Put a guy like Kane in there and you have a physically dominating line. A line like this would give nightmares to defensemen on the cycle.

Skinner-RNH-Eberle- Again, teammates together, add in a player of simular stature. Pure skill and speed. Plus Canada always has some form of "kid" line.

Benn-Tavares-Sharp- Classic case of powerforward + sniper/playmaker+2 way forward. All of these guys bring different things to the table and should compliment eachother well.

Ladd-O'Reilly-Burrows- This has the looks of a fantastic shutdown line. Burrows is great on the PK and relentless, as is Ladd and O'Reilly.

I agree with poster above me in regards to defense.

No clue on special teams, options are limitless really... go with whoever is hot.

mchose

Sep 27, 2011
Vernon, BC
Burr!! What a beaut! Now I have a reason to watch. For all of you haters out there, you obviously don't watch the Canucks so don't make such blind assumptions, Burrows is so clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad