4 Jay Bouwmeester
5 Luke Schenn
33 Marc Methot
44 Marc-Edouard Vlasic
76 P.K. Subban

30 Cam Ward
40 Devan Dubnyk

###

I know its early, but the dissapointment in Calgary already has me hoping for Canadian redemption on the international stage. There's a great deal of NHL hockey left to be played, but there are certainly some teams that look to be great candidates for roster donors.

Canada should be able to ice a strong, young team with a sprinkling of grit and veterans to help. I love the thought of the young oilers trio + Smyth. Stamkos and St. Louis from Tampa. Maybe even Getzlaf and Perry from Anaheim. Colombus is a safe bet to miss the post season again, which would free up Carter, Nash and Johansen. Tavares has been lights out on Long Island and Matt Duchene should be good and healthy by year end. If the Habs continue to struggle wouldn't Price be the perfect starter???

I absolutely love watching this tournament, especially when Canada gets commitment from big league talent. Would love to hear some thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I know its early, but the dissapointment in Calgary already has me hoping for Canadian redemption on the international stage. There's a great deal of NHL hockey left to be played, but there are certainly some teams that look to be great candidates for roster donors.

Canada should be able to ice a strong, young team with a sprinkling of grit and veterans to help. I love the thought of the young oilers trio + Smyth. Stamkos and St. Louis from Tampa. Maybe even Getzlaf and Perry from Anaheim. Colombus is a safe bet to miss the post season again, which would free up Carter, Nash and Johansen. Tavares has been lights out on Long Island and Matt Duchene should be good and healthy by year end. If the Habs continue to struggle wouldn't Price be the perfect starter???

I absolutely love watching this tournament, especially when Canada gets commitment from big league talent. Would love to hear some thoughts.

Smyth and Duchene? Again? Are you kidding? Much rather se guys like Ryan Jones and Ryan O Reilly.

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
Smyth and Duchene? Again? Are you kidding? Much rather se guys like Ryan Jones and Ryan O Reilly.

I could see Smyth being left off, but Duchene??? If he's healthy he's gotta be there. International experience is valuable for a guy who could be a team Canada stalwart for years.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I could see Smyth being left off, but Duchene??? If he's healthy he's gotta be there. International experience is valuable for a guy who could be a team Canada stalwart for years.

Duchene was pretty bad last WHC though, no points in 7 games. Hope to see a really good canadian team. I bet Sweden and Finland will have fewer "no tanks" this year since the tournament is held here. Russia always shows up with the best of what they got and the czechs usually can get a competitve team together. So it might be a good quality tournament. The only countrie that probably are going with a bad team is USA, americans can never get a good team together theese days.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
What hurts Canada the most is players who are available deciding not to play. I bet we could field a gold medal contending team if all the available players were willing to come.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Assuming they are all healthy, which is quite a stretch, I want to see the Hall-RNH-Eberle line destroying everyone.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
St. Louis - Stamkos - Nash
Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Perry
Staal - Tavares - Iginla
Ladd - Skinner* - Downie
Lecalvier

Giordano - Bouwmeester
Whitney - Jovanovski
Hamonic - Georges
Wisnewski

Price
Ward

Just a rough draft. Came up with the squad off the top of my head based on which teams dont make playoffs and players thatcwould agree to play. make any changes you want.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
It depends on which teams are going out be out of the playoffs.

Teams that are for sure going to be out:

Jackets: Nash, Carter
Isles: Tavares, Moulson
Ducks: Perry, Getzlaf, Beachemin
Oilers: Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
Canes: Staal, Skinner, Ward
Lightning: Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis
Habs: Cammalleri, Subban, Gorges

GM17*

Staal - Tavares - Iginla
Ladd - Skinner* - Downie
Lecalvier

Giordano - Bouwmeester
Whitney - Jovanovski
Hamonic - Georges
Wisnewski

Price
Ward

Just a rough draft. Came up with the squad off the top of my head based on which teams dont make playoffs and players thatcwould agree to play. make any changes you want.

Whitney is from the USA.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

It'll be young guys mostly. Veterans would rather have their summer vacation start a little earlier than represent the Maple Leaf in a tournament they don't care about.

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
Hockey Canada has certainly used this tournament as a springboard for younger players to jump into best on best competition. However, I would love to see some of the older guys get involved. Witha WC win Getzlaf and Perry would both join the triple gold club. Is that enough to get them to Sweden???

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Staal - Tavares - Iginla
Ladd - Skinner* - Downie
Lecalvier

Giordano - Bouwmeester
Whitney - Jovanovski
Hamonic - Georges
Wisnewski

Price
Ward

Wisnewski is American. And I don't think Lecalvier would go all the way to Europe to be a 13th forward

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
It depends on which teams are going out be out of the playoffs.

Teams that are for sure going to be out:

Jackets: Nash, Carter
Isles: Tavares, Moulson
Ducks: Perry, Getzlaf, Beachemin
Oilers: Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
Canes: Staal, Skinner, Ward
Lightning: Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis
Habs: Cammalleri, Subban, Gorges
I don't see how we can rule any teams out for now, with perhaps a few exceptions in Anaheim and Columbus.

The Montreal Canadiens are 7 points away from a playoff spot with 41 games to go and they're officially out?

birdy810

Jan 2, 2011
Saskatoon,SK,CAN
St. Louis-Stamkos-Nash
Perry-Getzlaf-Staal
Carter-Tavares-Doan
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Skinner

If they're not "Injured"
Iggy? Cammy? Vinny? Heatley?

Georges-Bouwmeester
Subban- Giordano
Hamonic- Bergeron
Random Canadian Defenceman Playing in Europe

It would be nice to see all those forwards there seeing how they probably won't make the playoffs..... It's hard to predict the rosters, with so much season left I took a random crack at it....

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
It's sad that World Championship's at the same time as the playoff's. Imagine if the NHL season was over. Would be so much better. :cry:

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
St. Louis-Stamkos-Nash
Perry-Getzlaf-Staal
Carter-Tavares-Doan
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Skinner

If they're not "Injured"
Iggy? Cammy? Vinny? Heatley?

Georges-Bouwmeester
Subban- Giordano
Hamonic- Bergeron
Random Canadian Defenceman Playing in Europe

It would be nice to see all those forwards there seeing how they probably won't make the playoffs..... It's hard to predict the rosters, with so much season left I took a random crack at it....

Doubt if any of these guys would go, seems to be a young mans team now.

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
I would love to see Hockey Canada ask Gretzky to put this team together. He is on record saying he'd love to be involved in Sochi 2014 in some capacity, even if Yzerman is the man in charge. These next 2 WC's will be great to evaluate players on the big ice, so this would be as good a place as any for him to get involved. Also, it would be alot harder for some of our marquee guys to say no to Wayne than it would be to say no to Dave Nonis or almost anyone else for that matter.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Czechs and Russia always have good teams, Sweden and Finland should bring above average teams due to hosting, USA wants to make amends from last year, Canada has a possibility to bring a monster team. Should be a GREAT tournament this year.

Anaheim, Carolina, TB, Edmonton have some good Canadian forwards I've heard..

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
Russia will probably send an experimental squad, so Canada can have a little retribution if they ice a decent team.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Canada will have a chance to win even if they field a Z team, I'm more interested in the squad the US sends this year, seemed like last year they finally realized that their hockey isn't quite up there to compete with the best of Europe so hopefully they'll send a decent team this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad