Line Combos: Roster overhaul in order?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I am a Claude Julien supporter but he tailored these players talents to his system and all 3 are better just playing the game with some structure but not rigid that Claude's system called for.

All 3 were scratched by Claude along with Blake Wheeler.

The Bruins should be in the middle of a 7 or 8 Cups in 10 year window.

Cam was right
Don had no idea what he had due to what these players were asked to do here and gets mulligans on the Smith deal, the Miller being left unprotected and not tendering Brett Connolly

Seguin 1 goal last 22 games with Claude

Seguins had periods in dallas of 20 games and very little production. I havent gone through the game logs since last summer but every year around christmas seguin tail spins.

My theory is he sometimes puts personal life way above commitment to hockey

No doubt... amazing talent though

As for reily smith... this time last year his team in florida was so desperate to get rid of him they gave up a ppg guy on a ridiculous contract. Riley can score obviously but 2 teams have dumped contract with him now.

Im glad for these guys if they have success... glad for phil kessel... wish them no ill will...

But our team is built on buy in... and brotherhood... on pack mentality

It doesnt work if guys are not all4one and one4all

The individual must go before the team

We shall see how these guys fare... joe thornton has been very controversial in san jose... being publically stripped of his C... his team labled a cronic underachiever

Kessel... one year playoff mvp... this year his fans are tossing out trade rumors. All it takes is 1 bad playoff to remind them his many faults. Even a 90 point season doesnt spare him from the critics

Dougie hamilton... now hotly included in trade rumors

Milan lucic... people calling for a buyout

Blake wheeler... of all the ex bruins his star shines brightest now... ironically hes the one guy we dont seem to complain about

Meanwhile bergeron, marchand, pastrnak did ok despite claude and were called best line in hockey this year

Krug played under claude and people here love him

I mean... our team seems to have survived under claude with 2 trips to the finals... and just a couple years after hes gone here we are...

We bottomed out as a 94 point team... that was our lowest point

Do we really need to complain so much?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Seguins had periods in dallas of 20 games and very little production. I havent gone through the game logs since last summer but every year around christmas seguin tail spins.

As for reily smith... this time last year his team in florida was so desperate to get rid of him they gave up a ppg guy on a ridiculous contract. Riley can score obviously but 2 teams have dumped contract with him now.

Im glad for these guys if they have success... glad for phil kessel... wish them no ill will...

We shall see how these guys fare... joe thornton has been very controversial in san jose... being publically stripped of his C... his team labled a cronic underachiever

Kessel... one year playoff mvp... this year his fans are tossing out trade rumors. All it takes is 1 bad playoff to remind them his many faults. Even a 90 point season doesnt spare him from the critics

Blake wheeler... of all the ex bruins his star shines brightest now... ironically hes the one guy we dont seem to complain about

Meanwhile bergeron, marchand, pastrnak did ok despite claude and were called best line in hockey this year

I mean... our team seems to have survived under claude with 2 trips to the finals... and just a couple years after hes gone here we are...

This is Boston. We have to. About everything!:laugh:

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
How do we fit Tavares in without sending Krejci out?
I mean yes trading Backes+ Miller/McQuaid would be significant, like 8 million significant, but what team is taking on the Backes contract?
If we could trade Backes +Miller+2019 1st +Zboril for (insert nothing/draft pick in here)
Then sign Tavares for 6yrs/9 million per, I think we'd have to be considered major front runners
The following year we give Krejci a list and use that money on Carlo/McAvoy raises

The first and Zboril seems like a lot but essentially that first turns into 6 years of JT

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
If Sweeney works hard over the summer ha can easily find a buyer for Backes even though it would be sad to see his leadership leave.

Tavares would be amazing on this team. Problem is Sweeney is not Danny Ainge.

No kidding! I'm glad we didn't have to wait almost what 10 years to be respectful again.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Claude s inability to incorporate skilled teenage delinquents was and continues to be obvious.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
No kidding! I'm glad we didn't have to wait almost what 10 years to be respectful again.

ummm, what? Sweeney cant sniff Ainge even in the "down" years.

in those "10 years to be respectful again" the Celtics have

9 playoff appearances, 1 miss

3x lost in 1st round
2x lost in 2nd round
2x lost in Conference Finals
1x lost in NBA Finals

and now are 1 win away from returning to The Finals.

They also have 5 division titles and 3x 2nd place in those years and only 3x finished outside the top 5 in the Eastern Conference.

We'd sell our souls for 2 ECF appearances and 2 Cup Finals appearances to be considered down years

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I mean yes trading Backes+ Miller/McQuaid would be significant, like 8 million significant, but what team is taking on the Backes contract?
If we could trade Backes +Miller+2019 1st +Zboril for (insert nothing/draft pick in here)
Then sign Tavares for 6yrs/9 million per, I think we'd have to be considered major front runners
The following year we give Krejci a list and use that money on Carlo/McAvoy raises

The first and Zboril seems like a lot but essentially that first turns into 6 years of JT

Thats a lot of assets to give up to fix a self inflicted wound. Yikes

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Doubt this would happen... but curious if NYI would bite.

UFA's now get a 7 day window to talk to teams before signing? Let's say Tavares has made up his mind, and he's gonna come to Boston.

Before July 1st, NYI knows Tavares is leaving, so they trade his rights straight up for David Krejci; Bruins then ink Tavares to the 8 year deal and goes to the team he wants to. Isle's get something back. B's likely throw in a little more incentive, but push comes to shove, they are gonna lose him if he's not re-signing.

Not remotely insinuating he does want to come here. But IF he did...

Doubt this all works for a number of reasons, but hey, we can dream, can't we?

Moving one of Miller / McQuaid + Krejci is 10 million in cap space right there. Backes is another option, but more pieces likely need to go, too.

Reactions: Jdavidev

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Doubt this would happen... but curious if NYI would bite.

UFA's now get a 7 day window to talk to teams before signing? Let's say Tavares has made up his mind, and he's gonna come to Boston.

Before July 1st, NYI knows Tavares is leaving, so they trade his rights straight up for David Krejci; Bruins then ink Tavares to the 8 year deal and goes to the team he wants to. Isle's get something back. B's likely throw in a little more incentive, but push comes to shove, they are gonna lose him if he's not re-signing.

Not remotely insinuating he does want to come here. But IF he did...

Doubt this all works for a number of reasons, but hey, we can dream, can't we?

Moving one of Miller / McQuaid + Krejci is 10 million in cap space right there. Backes is another option, but more pieces likely need to go, too.

Krejci also has to waive.

I know this is all hypothetical. But that's a pretty big factor to leave out.

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
Krejci also has to waive.

I know this is all hypothetical. But that's a pretty big factor to leave out.
DS: "Hello David,
I know you have a young family and you have lived here a long time and you and your young family love this city, but what do you say about moving to NYC?"

DK: "No."

99.9% sure that's how that would go.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This Tavares talk is silly.:laugh:

going to vegas and putting a bet that could hurt you financially on Tavares coming here... that would be silly

promising in public to eat horse manure if Tavares doesn't sign here... that would be silly

starting a go fund me account to raise money to pay him so he will come here... yes even that is silly

but being a fan and day dreaming about your team getting a huge upgrade... that's not silly. that's just some harmless fun as part of the pastime we all enjoy here cheering our team

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
going to vegas and putting a bet that could hurt you financially on Tavares coming here... that would be silly

promising in public to eat horse manure if Tavares doesn't sign here... that would be silly

starting a go fund me account to raise money to pay him so he will come here... yes even that is silly

but being a fan and day dreaming about your team getting a huge upgrade... that's not silly. that's just some harmless fun as part of the pastime we all enjoy here cheering our team
:D

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Its god awful
Ok, let's talk about realistic things.

Only high profile UFA Rick Nash leaves.
Bruins sign or trade for a slightly overpaid middle 6 winger for Krejci.
Bruins don't trade into the 1st round.
The roster stays relatively similar, no need for a big change, just minor tweaks.
Some older prospects are moved for middle picks this year and next.
And they continue to build from experience going into next season.

I guess that's fun, too.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
DS: "Hello David,
I know you have a young family and you have lived here a long time and you and your young family love this city, but what do you say about moving to NYC?"

DK: "No."

99.9% sure that's how that would go.

“You sure? You know in 12 months we’ll be able to send you to half of the teams in the league. Wouldn’t you rather have total control over the situation?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer and Silva

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Ok, let's talk about realistic things.

Only high profile UFA Rick Nash leaves.
Bruins sign a slightly overpay a middle 6 winger for Krejci.
Bruins don't trade into the 1st round.
The roster stays relatively similar, no need for a big change, just minor tweaks.
Some older prospects are moved for middle picks this year and next.
And they continue to build from experience going into next season.

I guess that's fun, too.

I think... you just took care of it for anyone that was wanting to see it written out.

I'm betting you got it about 99% correct too... well done

now that its out of the way... lets get back to fun day dreaming

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The two teams in the Finals takeaway is it’s not who has the best collection of talent but balance.

Three big moves all did not return on investment- better to add cheap pieces and save prospects and high draft picks

Put me down next year Sweeney & Yzerman will pass on big names as HF screams at the moon

Tampa - McDonagh/Miller
Boston- Nash
Vegas - Tatar

I doubt you see the Bruins deal any top 2 round picks for minimum 3 years

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes