Line Combos: Roster overhaul in order?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. And lets pretend they do get him. As a left shot center, he looks right first. Unless you give him Pasta, he needs a RW the Bruins don't have.

He's played the vast majority of the past two seasons with a left-shot RW in Josh Bailey.

Bruins have a couple guys as @Ratty says in Bjork and Heinen who do appear capable of playing their off-wing.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The Lucic trade brought back Miller, Martin Jones and the #13 pick in '15.

Miller may be gone but the pick is here (Jakub Zboril) and Jones was pretty much immediately flipped for Sean Kuraly and their first in '16 (Trent Frederic)
My point more was acquiring an young asset to let go for nothing.

But yes, I do remember the other details of the trade. Thanks for the recap.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Brett Connolly was not a Sweeney guy and didn't do much here. He's not doing much in Washington either. Pretty much the same player. Colin Miller lost to the expansion draft. Every team lost someone. Smith is the only guy and you can look at his last season here and see why he traded. Even still, he wasn't a Sweeney guy either. He is also on his 4th organization and two teams gave him away (Bruins and Panthers).

Reactions: Chief Nine

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The guy I want moved is Backes, he has to waive his NMC of course, if he does I think he is not as hard to move as some think, big physical forward who goes to the net, some team(s) will still value that, he can play center or wing I think they could move him, but they have to do it without $$$ retained otherwise not much use to trade him.

can't believe Sweeney gave him that contract plus NTC

shakes head

Reactions: bbfan419 and Zillah

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Brett Connolly was not a Sweeney guy and didn't do much here. He's not doing much in Washington either. Pretty much the same player. Colin Miller lost to the expansion draft. Every team lost someone. Smith is the only guy and you can look at his last season here and see why he traded. Even still, he wasn't a Sweeney guy either. He is also on his 4th organization and two teams gave him away (Bruins and Panthers).
They weren’t Clode guys.:sarcasm:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

when i see posts like this my easy answer... find ANY GM... JUST ONE... someone on the job more than 5 days... WHO HASNT MADE EXACTLY THE SAME TYPE OF TRADES THAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT HERE. someone who hasnt seen draft picks fail... who hasnt traded away guys who had decent careers elsewhere...

find me 1 example and your position doesnt seem completely unreasonable

find me 2 examples and i wont tell you sweeney is one of the top 5% gms in hockey as far as this is concerned

challange is made...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
can't believe Sweeney gave him that contract plus NTC

shakes head

theres alot of vetern unionized auto workers we might feel dont earn their paychecks too... lawyers who have made partner... professors with tenure

rock and roll legends who get by on nolstalga

if andrew ladd and louie eriksson and milan lucic and 40 point per year evander kane werent getting paid... your disbelief might be more understabable

i mean gas price here is 123 per liter today... 6 months ago it was around a dollar. can i say im in disbelief of must i just be forced to understand economics?

of course someone says to me... ride a bike

and someone else says... dont pay backes what he costs

and yes... i do have an option i could ride a bike

but no... i think i will pay the 123 for liter and clunk around in my car

Reactions: UConn126

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
He's played the vast majority of the past two seasons with a left-shot RW in Josh Bailey.

Bruins have a couple guys as @Ratty says in Bjork and Heinen who do appear capable of playing their off-wing.

I didn't necessarily mean which way the RW shoots, just that his RW linemate would be key. You're right, those two could play the RW and I think they would do fine if they don't get someone else. What I really meant was that line-mates can factor into his new team decision, and an elite player might favor a team where he could play with a more high end wing..

Doesn't really matter, since as we said earlier this is all what if..

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if tavares comes here he gets pastrnak as his wing... its a no brainer

i think the very interesting question is does marchand join them as well?

id favor 2 lines... put debrusk or donato with tavares/pastrnak... and heinen or bjork with bergeron/marcand

you still have 2 very talented wings on your 3rd line

of course to afford tavares one of or both of krecji/backes need to be moved

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I didn't necessarily mean which way the RW shoots, just that his RW linemate would be key. You're right, those two could play the RW and I think they would do fine if they don't get someone else. What I really meant was that line-mates can factor into his new team decision, and an elite player might favor a team where he could play with a more high end wing..

Doesn't really matter, since as we said earlier this is all what if..

That's true. Teams certainly try to sell UFAs on where in the line-up they project they will play, and who they will play with. Not that anything is set in stone (ask Backes), but at least it's a projection on how it would play out.

The great mystery of Tavares is no one really knows what his priorities are. Is it making the absolute most money possible? Big market fame vs. a smaller market more anonymous life-style where you aren't as recognized?

Does he want a team like NYI where he is "the man" and it's "his team"? Or is he happy just being more a cog in the wheel with teams that already have very good players and/or established leaders, thinking that his chances to win a cup are better this way.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

If he becomes a Bruin I'll be truly shocked, but I would of said the same thing about Chara back in 2005.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
when i see posts like this my easy answer... find ANY GM... JUST ONE... someone on the job more than 5 days... WHO HASNT MADE EXACTLY THE SAME TYPE OF TRADES THAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT HERE. someone who hasnt seen draft picks fail... who hasnt traded away guys who had decent careers elsewhere...

find me 1 example and your position doesnt seem completely unreasonable

find me 2 examples and i wont tell you sweeney is one of the top 5% gms in hockey as far as this is concerned

challange is made...

Not even sure what you are challenging me for.

There was 3 examples from this team from what I originally quoted. And you know what? Just because he made a few not so great moves, I wasn't even insinuating he was a bad GM. Just saying, "Hey, wouldn't it have been good if we actually got something from those trades?"

Oh well.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not even sure what you are challenging me for.

There was 3 examples from this team from what I originally quoted. And you know what? Just because he made a few not so great moves, I wasn't even insinuating he was a bad GM. Just saying, "Hey, wouldn't it have been good if we actually got something from those trades?"

Oh well.

I guess if i didnt fully folow your arguement i can owe you personally an apology

My response was strongly influenced by several years on this forum where the generalized arguement is 'we suck'

After seeing this argument so many times i always feel like asking... ok we arent perfect so tell me who is better?

I just dont like the 'we suck' argument

I apologize if that wasnt the point here

And for what its worth... yes i agree it would have been nice to get more from those trades

But heres a hot take for you to chew on...

Once upon a time we traded barry pederson for cam neely and a first we used for glen wesley. Soon after we let wesley go for 3 firsts we used 1 on sergei samsonov... he was moved for a pic we used to get lucic

Pretty good right? Would i blow anyone's mind here if i said i wish we got more? What if we got neely and 2 firsts? What if we drafted shanahan instead of wesley? What if neely stayed healthy? What if we drafted scott neidermayer?

I mean things can always be better... so yes, if they were better its fair to say we would like it

I have a great wife... i love her... but if she had 50 million in the bank to share with me id certainly say thankyou.

I don't need that 50 million though to find other reasons to love her.

Thats my argument at the end of the day... try to find reasons to be happy with what we got

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I guess if i didnt fully folow your arguement i can owe you personally an apology

My response was strongly influenced by several years on this forum where the generalized arguement is 'we suck'

After seeing this argument so many times i always feel like asking... ok we arent perfect so tell me who is better?

I just dont like the 'we suck' argument

I apologize if that wasnt the point here

And for what its worth... yes i agree it would have been nice to get more from those trades

But heres a hot take for you to chew on...

Once upon a time we traded barry pederson for cam neely and a first we used for glen wesley. Soon after we let wesley go for 3 firsts we used 1 on sergei samsonov... he was moved for a pic we used to get lucic

Pretty good right? Would i blow anyone's mind here if i said i wish we got more? What if we got neely and 2 firsts? What if we drafted shanahan instead of wesley? What if neely stayed healthy? What if we drafted scott neidermayer?

I mean things can always be better... so yes, if they were better its fair to say we would like it

I have a great wife... i love her... but if she had 50 million in the bank to share with me id certainly say thankyou.

I don't need that 50 million though to find other reasons to love her.

Thats my argument at the end of the day... try to find reasons to be happy with what we got
I like every trade and draft pick we ever had! We are sitting pretty!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Tavares wants to come to Boston. I have no basis for saying that other than I want it to happen.

So....since none of us know him personally and accepting the fact that ANYONE could come up with a dozen legitimate reasons why he wouldn’t sign here....

Why not think about legitimate reasons he would come here...

1. He’ll get similar money wherever he goes.
2. Keeps his family on the same coast/time zone.
3. Playing with Bergeron and Marchand is 1000x better than playing against them.
4. Legitimate chance at the cup for the forseeable future.
5. Heinen is his brother in law.

(I made up #5 because I liked the idea of 5 reasons instead of 4).

Reactions: Dr Hook

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Integrate kids and answer the next big question;

Do you need more size? Or do you strike while the irons hot and try to be the best puck hungry skill team in the league?

Idk...if they all played like DeBrusk we'd be golden. We need to draft more DeBrusk. My line up would probably be;

Marchy Berger Pasta
DeBrusk Krejci Donato
DeBrusk Heinen DeBrusk
Schaller Kuraly Acciari

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Gryz - Miller

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
if tavares comes here he gets pastrnak as his wing... its a no brainer

i think the very interesting question is does marchand join them as well?

id favor 2 lines... put debrusk or donato with tavares/pastrnak... and heinen or bjork with bergeron/marcand

you still have 2 very talented wings on your 3rd line

of course to afford tavares one of or both of krecji/backes need to be moved

I would throw everything and the kitchen sink to get Krejci moved (without giving up too much in futures to make him enticing) if it meant the Bruins landed Tavares

And I bet 8.5 would do it, and it'd be worth it. Tavares might come here given a) we're that close to being a contender and b) he's the guy that will drive the offense for years to come without so much pressure as being the only guy

Having Tavares makes the Bruins a lot better, taking Krejci out and adding Tavares makes us a lot better

Doubt Bruins can trade Backes, but it'd be pretty sweet to have Krejci and Tavares considering Backes is never utilized as a center

Do you go

DeBrusk Tavares Pasta
Marchand Bergeron Donato
Heinen Krejci X
50's line

?

Who goes next to Krejci but that looks like a very strong forward group on paper

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
If Sweeney works hard over the summer ha can easily find a buyer for Backes even though it would be sad to see his leadership leave.

Tavares would be amazing on this team. Problem is Sweeney is not Danny Ainge.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I am a Claude Julien supporter but he tailored these players talents to his system and all 3 are better just playing the game with some structure but not rigid that Claude's system called for.

All 3 were scratched by Claude along with Blake Wheeler.

The Bruins should be in the middle of a 7 or 8 Cups in 10 year window.

Cam was right
Don had no idea what he had due to what these players were asked to do here and gets mulligans on the Smith deal, the Miller being left unprotected and not tendering Brett Connolly

Seguin 1 goal last 22 games with Claude

Someone mentioned Chris Versteeg earlier. Traded for Bochenski he went on to win the Cup with Chicago. I couldn't understand why the Bruins never considered trying to reacquire him when he was a free agent? He never got a shot here and that, added to what you said above makes me a little hot under the collar. We've thrown away so much talent since Joe Juneau for Iafrate and moving forward.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Sweeney works hard over the summer ha can easily find a buyer for Backes even though it would be sad to see his leadership leave.

Tavares would be amazing on this team. Problem is Sweeney is not Danny Ainge.

Sweeney would likely need to eat half of his contract and add a prospect or pick

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Someone mentioned Chris Versteeg earlier. Traded for Bochenski he went on to win the Cup with Chicago. I couldn't understand why the Bruins never considered trying to reacquire him when he was a free agent? He never got a shot here and that, added to what you said above makes me a little hot under the collar. We've thrown away so much talent since Joe Juneau for Iafrate and moving forward.

Maybe they tried but Versteeg didnt want to comeback

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->