Roster in 2017/18 - Part II

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Except last game we had Dano-Petan-Armia as our 4th line which hardly fits your definition. Most teams have a pretty uneven split. IMO at least you need to have enough talent throughout the lineup to even out the ice time and most teams don't. And I just don't see it with the Jets. Most people still seem pretty high on our bottom 6 and lay it on usage, but at some point don't they at least have to have a sniff of production without being carried by better players?

That sounds good but not necessarily. Draisaitl is carried by a better player but it is a good combination. If Wheeler carries Petan but both achieve when paired then it doesn't matter which player is the carrier and which is carried. For the umpteenth time - Petan produces when put with skilled players and importantly, those players produce more with him. Or at least that is how it appears from the very limited sample that we have.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That sounds good but not necessarily. Draisaitl is carried by a better player but it is a good combination. If Wheeler carries Petan but both achieve when paired then it doesn't matter which player is the carrier and which is carried. For the umpteenth time - Petan produces when put with skilled players and importantly, those players produce more with him. Or at least that is how it appears from the very limited sample that we have.

He scored 1 goal last year and 4 assists playing 5 on 5 last year. No points of any kind this year. I like Petan but saying he's produced is a bit of a stretch IMO

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd like to see Petan between Laine and Ehlers for a good 5 games to see what they got. It helps distribute the wealth too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He scored 1 goal last year and 4 assists playing 5 on 5 last year. No points of any kind this year. I like Petan but saying he's produced is a bit of a stretch IMO

You're right. Poor choice of words. Performed would be better. And, as I said the sample is quite small.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'd like to see Petan between Laine and Ehlers for a good 5 games to see what they got. It helps distribute the wealth too.

Are you cutting down Bryan Little's ice time? Or Laine & Ehlers ice time?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Connor- Scheif- Armia
Ehlers- Petan -Laine
Lowry -Little- Wheeler
Lemieux -Copp- Dano
Lots of time for everyone. The 4th line sees 9-10 minutes and the rest see around 17.

Reactions: winnipegger

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd give Petan an honest 5 games and if he can't keep up, down he goes. We would look better with 3 good centers instead of the 2 and the rest of our "centers".

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd give Petan an honest 5 games and if he can't keep up, down he goes. We would look better with 3 good centers instead of the 2 and the rest of our "centers".
If only there'd been some chance to try things out last season...some set of ultimately meaningless games where the goal would be experimentation and seeing what might work. OH WELL...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not sure de deserved it last year.
Not sure if he deserves it this year but if he didn't pan out, he would have to be spectacular on the Moose (barring injuries) for me to call him up again.
I would also like to see Armia play with more offensive minded players. The man has talent but seems to take some games off. Not sure why seeing as he is in his last year of a deal. It has been the knock against him since Buffalo drafted him though.

Reactions: Rene Saari

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

It probably will take an injury to get that chance given how mediocre he's been so far. Perhaps even then the Jets decide yo give Roslovic the chance instead.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Why not run something like...

Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Connor Little Armia
Lemieux Petan Wheeler
Mattias Copp Dano/Tanev

I mean... You spread out the ability to control the play. Petan and Wheeler played well together last season. Wheeler would still be around 18 mins a game... Seems like a nice brainer.

Armia plays a similar game to little as they put pucks into the same areas and are able to play hard on the wall.

You would get more 5v5 out of Armia and Petan that way

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
I guess the top 2 lines will eventually (during this season) be

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine

Imho Connor will be in top 6 but to get most out of him, he needs a center like Scheifele. Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers/Laine would be a disaster in their own end, so that doesn't leave many options.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Everybody can't play with Scheif but I know what you mean. I'd eventually hope for Roslo to center Connor and Ehlers. I guess they don't think Roslo is ready yet.

If
Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine

is our eventual top 2 lines,
MP Roslo Armia
don't look bad as a third line.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The problem is, Maurice is so unbelievably stubborn that we won't see the Jets as a team that utilizes all of its lines. I guess that the only way that changes is if we get decimated by injuries in a way that allows some of our young guns to step up, and they would then have to produce unrealistically high amounts of points. That could be enough to send the message to Maurice. If not, we are stuck with what we have - two scoring lines that either score or we lose the game, and a mess of a bottom six with no chemistry outside of MLA, which we can't even pull off with Lowry in the IR.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Lots of thoughts to express.
If the team is 5 - 20 coach gets fired regardless of extentions or costs involved.
If the fan base quits coming the GM goes.
We are not a deep team. We have a good top 6 with adequate replacement players at best.
We have a poor bottom 6 in inappropriate roles.....no wonder the coach shuffles so much.
I liked us better big fast and hard to play against.....skill is overrated.
How about we win the race back down the ice and help our Dmen and Goalies (blame where it belongs).
Schiefle needs to be set up
Wheeler is an elite set up man
Laine on the PPlay other wise protected minutes....he plays slow
Coach needs to dish out consequences including leaders and vets.
Not all opinions are good ones. Don't take life to seriously

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why not run something like...

Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Connor Little Armia
Lemieux Petan Wheeler
Mattias Copp Dano/Tanev

I mean... You spread out the ability to control the play. Petan and Wheeler played well together last season. Wheeler would still be around 18 mins a game... Seems like a nice brainer.

Armia plays a similar game to little as they put pucks into the same areas and are able to play hard on the wall.

You would get more 5v5 out of Armia and Petan that way

Worth considering. Looks strange to see Wheeler on the 3rd line and Armia on the 2nd but maybe that is just getting too hung up on those labels.

That is the kind of thing that should have been tried in TC but with the way they are playing I think it would be worth a shot in season.

When healthy MP pushes Lemieux out and Lowry pushes Copp to LW and Matthias to the PB.

Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Connor Little Armia
Perreault Petan Wheeler
Copp Lowry Dano/Tanev

Matthias Hendricks

Reactions: HPsauce

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is such an easy fix to the ice-time distribution...

Move Perreault to the 3rd line (Connor in the top-6).

That also gives a bit more depth onto the 4th line.

Jets will probably start to use the top-6 less once they get into a much busier part of their schedule. At this point, they can run their top-6 more because they have long stretches between games.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

If this worked it would be great! I just don't trust any of them defensively and think they would get hemmed in their own zone. If Chef couldn't create good sustained offensive with them I somehow doubt Pecan can.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Worth considering. Looks strange to see Wheeler on the 3rd line and Armia on the 2nd but maybe that is just getting too hung up on those labels.

That is the kind of thing that should have been tried in TC but with the way they are playing I think it would be worth a shot in season.

When healthy MP pushes Lemieux out and Lowry pushes Copp to LW and Matthias to the PB.

Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Connor Little Armia
Perreault Petan Wheeler
Copp Lowry Dano/Tanev

Matthias Hendricks
So how does MP-Petan-Wheeler make sense as a line? Both MP and Wheeler generate much more assists then goals and we then play them with a center who has 3 goals in 85 NHL games? On that line Wheeler is the go to trigger man. Not really his strong suit. Even as a RW with 2 left handed shots.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
There is such an easy fix to the ice-time distribution...

Move Perreault to the 3rd line (Connor in the top-6).

That also gives a bit more depth onto the 4th line.

Jets will probably start to use the top-6 less once they get into a much busier part of their schedule. At this point, they can run their top-6 more because they have long stretches between games.

The line-building chemistry needed to begin in training camp. Every point matters.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Connor Little Armia
Perreault Petan Wheeler
Copp Lowry Dano/Tanev

Matthias Hendricks

That 3rd line looks like a line that could score night in night out, now you have 3 scoring lines with potential to score each night. Hard match ups for opposing coaches.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So how does MP-Petan-Wheeler make sense as a line? Both MP and Wheeler generate much more assists then goals and we then play them with a center who has 3 goals in 85 NHL games? On that line Wheeler is the go to trigger man. Not really his strong suit. Even as a RW with 2 left handed shots.

Well its not my idea but do you like the way they have played? Should we try more of the same or should we try something truly different? Should we continue to be a 2 line team or should we try for 3 or 4?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well its not my idea but do you like the way they have played? Should we try more of the same or should we try something truly different? Should we continue to be a 2 line team or should we try for 3 or 4?
I think we have had this discussion a couple times? I'm not as big of fan of our bottom 6 as many around here. I see a big hole at the #3 center spot that keeps us from potentially running 3 scoring lines. With Connor coming up with more jump in his game and looking as good as he did, he likely doesn't go back when MP is healthy so that now gives us 2/3 of a 3rd scoring line (MP & Armia). I just don't think Petan or Copp will ever effectively step into that #3 center role. IMO you would have seen improved games and more signs of that by now despite whatever type of usage they get. Maybe you roll the dice on Roslovic being ready? I just keep imagining this team with 1 more good center to slot between Little and Lowry. Now imagine a center that could slot between Scheifele and Little and how dominant we could be?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we have had this discussion a couple times? I'm not as big of fan of our bottom 6 as many around here. I see a big hole at the #3 center spot that keeps us from potentially running 3 scoring lines. With Connor coming up with more jump in his game and looking as good as he did, he likely doesn't go back when MP is healthy so that now gives us 2/3 of a 3rd scoring line (MP & Armia). I just don't think Petan or Copp will ever effectively step into that #3 center role. IMO you would have seen improved games and more signs of that by now despite whatever type of usage they get. Maybe you roll the dice on Roslovic being ready? I just keep imagining this team with 1 more good center to slot between Little and Lowry. Now imagine a center that could slot between Scheifele and Little and how dominant we could be?

After doing a bit of a survey of 3C's in the league Lowry doesn't look so bad. His scoring is skewed a bit by more PP time than the typical 3C which also means his total TOI is on the high side so I'm still not saying he is ideal.

I think what we have is a 3C who would be adequate with good enough wingers and at least 1 winger (Armia) who would (might) be adequate with a good enough C. The other wing is a bit of an unknown. It can't be Matthias or Tanev. We will have to wait and see how either Connor or MP do with Lowry - Armia before we can anoint them as the solution. Petan, Dano and Copp could all be better at 3LW than Matthias. I don't know if an upgrade at LW is enough to drag both Lowry and Armia up. Either one on the 3rd line, even at C should work with good enough linemates. Whether a line with both can thrive is an open question.

MLA made a good checking/shutdown line but none of them is good enough offensively to push that line into good 3rd line territory. The good checking was largely Armia. I still think Armia has untapped offense but we aren't going to find it with him playing with Matthias and Lowry much less on the 4th line.

I hate to start talking patience again in this year that is supposed to produce but we have 3 potential solutions in the AHL. Roslovic is the most likely and the closest to ready but both Harkins and Spacek have potential. The point is that any change made to 3C right now is probably a temporary solution. It will soon be replaced by Roslovic or one of the others.

I can't say how much more 'seasoning' Roslovic needs. He is off to a good start in the A but we don't want to rush him. I don't think it will be too much longer before we will have a 3rd line of:
Matty P - Roslovic - Armia
That is, when healthy of course. Copp, Petan and Dano may be failing to take full-time jobs in the top 9 but they should be adequate injury replacements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad