Roster in 2017/18 - Part II

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
We really need Roslovic to develop into a 3C with some offensive ability. I was hoping we wouldn't need it to happen this season, but we might need it to.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think we have had this discussion a couple times? I'm not as big of fan of our bottom 6 as many around here. I see a big hole at the #3 center spot that keeps us from potentially running 3 scoring lines. With Connor coming up with more jump in his game and looking as good as he did, he likely doesn't go back when MP is healthy so that now gives us 2/3 of a 3rd scoring line (MP & Armia). I just don't think Petan or Copp will ever effectively step into that #3 center role. IMO you would have seen improved games and more signs of that by now despite whatever type of usage they get. Maybe you roll the dice on Roslovic being ready? I just keep imagining this team with 1 more good center to slot between Little and Lowry. Now imagine a center that could slot between Scheifele and Little and how dominant we could be?
I think that the Jets could put together a more productive 3rd line with their current personnel. One option would be to move Perreault down to 3LW, with Petan or even Lowry in the middle, with Armia or Dano on RW. Perreault is a strong play driver, and I think that with players like Petan and Armia, they could develop some scoring punch. The other option is Roslovic, who I think is probably very close to being ready to play in a 3C role. I can understand getting him another 50 games or so in the AHL and then having him ready to go.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think that the Jets could put together a more productive 3rd line with their current personnel. One option would be to move Perreault down to 3LW, with Petan or even Lowry in the middle, with Armia or Dano on RW. Perreault is a strong play driver, and I think that with players like Petan and Armia, they could develop some scoring punch. The other option is Roslovic, who I think is probably very close to being ready to play in a 3C role. I can understand getting him another 50 games or so in the AHL and then having him ready to go.

Roslo has started well, at least from a scoring POV. If he keeps this up it could be as little as 10-15 more Moose games. That may be a little optimistic but he looks so far like he has found his stride. It might be near time to let him finish learning in the NHL.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lineup for me once MP is back...
KC Scheif Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler
MP Lowry Armia
Lemieux Copp Dano
pressbox Matthias
Petan to Moose
Tanev and Hendricks waived

Morrissey Trouba
Kuli Buff
Enstrom Poolman
pressbox Myers and Chiarot

Helle Mason
Mason needs to win a game soon.
Does Maurice play him against CBJ after Helle gets the Pens?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lineup for me once MP is back...
KC Scheif Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler
MP Lowry Armia
Lemieux Copp Dano
pressbox Matthias
Petan to Moose
Tanev and Hendricks waived

Morrissey Trouba
Kuli Buff
Enstrom Poolman
pressbox Myers and Chiarot

Helle Mason
Mason needs to win a game soon.
Does Maurice play him against CBJ after Helle gets the Pens?

Might be the best lineup I've seen you post. :)

It is your lineup not necessarily what you expect PMo to do, I assume. I think PMo plays Hendricks somewhere, PB at the very least.

I would still go with ESL as the top line but that is almost a tossup right now.

I liked Lemieux's first game but I want to see 2-3 more before I am convinced. If he can keep his penalties down and still play with that chippy edge he had against Minny, I'm on board.

Not quite sure about the D. I will give Myers a little longer. Not ready to give up on him yet. Not sure that Kuli and Buff are meshing. I might put Enstrom there instead.

Mostly just tinkering though. Basically, I like it.

Not sure about the goalies. Maybe Mason needs a softer opponent to jump-start him? But it is a b2b. OTOH they should be well rested going in. The first 'soft' game would be Mtl on Nov 4, the 6th game after the break. Just don't know. Bucky is clearly our #1 right now. Mason should be but just hasn't been good enough, whereas Bucky has been.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Might be the best lineup I've seen you post. :)

It is your lineup not necessarily what you expect PMo to do, I assume. I think PMo plays Hendricks somewhere, PB at the very least.

I would still go with ESL as the top line but that is almost a tossup right now.

I liked Lemieux's first game but I want to see 2-3 more before I am convinced. If he can keep his penalties down and still play with that chippy edge he had against Minny, I'm on board.

Not quite sure about the D. I will give Myers a little longer. Not ready to give up on him yet. Not sure that Kuli and Buff are meshing. I might put Enstrom there instead.

Mostly just tinkering though. Basically, I like it.

Not sure about the goalies. Maybe Mason needs a softer opponent to jump-start him? But it is a b2b. OTOH they should be well rested going in. The first 'soft' game would be Mtl on Nov 4, the 6th game after the break. Just don't know. Bucky is clearly our #1 right now. Mason should be but just hasn't been good enough, whereas Bucky has been.
I've posted enough of them.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
When Matty Perreault comes back, I think we see:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Lemieux-Matthias-Copp

PB: Tanev, Dano
IR: Hendricks
Moose: Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Buff
Kulikov-Myers

PB: Poolman

Waived/Moose: Chiarot

Helle
Mason

Reactions: kelsier

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
When Matty Perreault comes back, I think we see:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Lemieux-Matthias-Copp

PB: Tanev, Dano
IR: Hendricks
Moose: Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Buff
Kulikov-Myers

PB: Poolman

Waived/Moose: Chiarot

Helle
Mason
You think Hendricks will re-injure himself?

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I"m thinking matthias has himself a mystery LBI to make room for hendricks on that fourth line center... well hoping that maurice doesn't shoe horn hendricks in to the 3rd

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
1a / 1b + 3rd line:
Laine - Scheif - Armia/Copp
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Lowry - Perreault

Mostly even top-3 lines:

Connor - Scheif - Armia
Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Ehlers - Lowry - Laine

Ehlers - Scheif - Perreault
Laine - Little - Armia
Connor - Lowry - Wheeler

now start the blender... seriously though, these are just off the top of my head and didn't really think about handedness or any of that, but the point is there should be enough pieces if you manage to put them together right, so that Jets could run even and balanced top-9 even with the current roster. IMO Armia has some wasted potential in his current role, and could be a good hard working "3rd piece" with two offensive minded forwards, who is also able to create and finish plays. But I don't think Maurice wants to run even 3 lines, and I'm not sure if I would either, though it seems like the game has been developing in a direction where you want that spread scoring and every line playing good & balanced hockey, instead of "superstars" and 3 checking lines :)

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
As a kid I grew up watching the Hawerchuk, Mullen and MacLean line.
I want a Paul MacLean type on each one of our lines.
Grinder, good in the corners, can skate, good in front of the net with good hands.
He doesn't have to be an assist machine-the other two can take care of that.
2 really talented players and one lunch pail MacLean type that can make a living in front of the net. That way you divide up the ultra talented players on 3 lines.
So who would fit that criteria on the Jets now? Lemieux might be one if given the chance. Maybe Armia as well?

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Despite of all predictions I'm hesitant to believe Wheelers will be pulled off from the first line. As long as he keeps giving positive press comments about PMo, Maurice will do his utmost to keep him as happy as possible, including maximum ice time. One or two back to back games won't change anything. Wheelers would need to be consistently bad for Maurice to even contemplate on it. Think we may just need to give up on the dream of potential ESL line no matter of having the needed depth available to at least have two lethal scoring lines. I've seen a lot of good ideas thrown around and the Jets could even run 3 lines if they wanted to. I would too prefer the ESL & CLW & bottom 6 or maybe even something like:

Laine - Scheifele - Armia
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Perreault - Lowry/Roslo - Wheelers
Lemieux - Matthias - Copp

Since some teams are already running three offensively potent lines, this could the answer from the Jets' and would also ease the logjam on the wings once Perreault comes back from the sick bay. Nevertheless, this is like playing fantasy hockey, cause Maurice has his own stubborn way of utilizing players and someone like Armia, who has always been a bottom feeder would never ever get a chance in the first line unless half of the wingers got injured and he thought there was no better option available.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Despite of all predictions I'm hesitant to believe Wheelers will be pulled off from the first line. As long as he keeps giving positive press comments about PMo, Maurice will do his utmost to keep him as happy as possible, including maximum ice time. One or two back to back games won't change anything. Wheelers would need to be consistently bad for Maurice to even contemplate on it. Think we may just need to give up on the dream of potential ESL line no matter of having the needed depth available to at least have two lethal scoring lines. I've seen a lot of good ideas thrown around and the Jets could even run 3 lines if they wanted to. I would too prefer the ESL & CLW & bottom 6 or maybe even something like:

Laine - Scheifele - Armia
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Perreault - Lowry/Roslo - Wheelers
Lemieux - Matthias - Copp

Since some teams are already running three offensively potent lines, this could the answer from the Jets' and would also ease the logjam on the wings once Perreault comes back from the sick bay. Nevertheless, this is like playing fantasy hockey, cause Maurice has his own stubborn way of utilizing players and someone like Armia, who has always been a bottom feeder would never ever get a chance in the first line unless half of the wingers got injured and he thought there was no better option available.

Wheeler has 8 points in 7 games, he has looked decent, Corsi could be better but that is true for a lot of the Jets. It's odd that you are making Wheeler's usage your hill to die on. Of all the things to complain about the Jets, Wheeler's play and usage shouldn't be that high up

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wheeler has 8 points in 7 games, he has looked decent, Corsi could be better but that is true for a lot of the Jets. It's odd that you are making Wheeler's usage your hill to die on. Of all the things to complain about the Jets, Wheeler's play and usage shouldn't be that high up

Wheelers has been playing fine and I never said he hadn't. He's the type of player that would play well no matter who he partnered up with. The bulldozing play style is very efficient when you have the the kind of size/speed as Wheelers. I think he would do nearly as good with Little for example because he's very self-reliant. So are you disagreeing with my opinion where he should be tried with 2nd or 3rd line to see if we could get better utilization with different line combos or are you disagreeing with the rather obvious special bond with Maurice that allows him to play maximum minutes in a game (EV,PK and PP) and often have an extra 10-20 seconds on the ice when the rest of the line has already jumped off to the bench?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I just don't believe players fake injuries
It won’t be Hendricks decision.

I don’t see it being for weeks and weeks, as injuries happen, but in an ideal situation that is the lineup that likely works best.

I don’t think they run the risk of losing a young forward like Tanev or Dano through waivers. Though if he continues to not produce offence I don’t know who would want Tanev.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It won’t be Hendricks decision.

I don’t see it being for weeks and weeks, as injuries happen, but in an ideal situation that is the lineup that likely works best.

I don’t think they run the risk of losing a young forward like Tanev or Dano through waivers. Though if he continues to not produce offence I don’t know who would want Tanev.

I don't think the Jets are going to play those kind of games. And I don't think Hendricks is going to go along.

Yeah it won't be his decision if he breaks his foot again

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Kyle Connor getting time on the first line lately? how has he looked?

Good, he has always had the offensive chops but I am really liking what I see out of his back pressure and back checking. Ultimately unless your name is Drew Stafford that is what coaches seem to really like and notice and the types of things that can keep you on the top two lines even when the scoring slumps happen.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Wheelers has been playing fine and I never said he hadn't. He's the type of player that would play well no matter who he partnered up with. The bulldozing play style is very efficient when you have the the kind of size/speed as Wheelers. I think he would do nearly as good with Little for example because he's very self-reliant. So are you disagreeing with my opinion where he should be tried with 2nd or 3rd line to see if we could get better utilization with different line combos or are you disagreeing with the rather obvious special bond with Maurice that allows him to play maximum minutes in a game (EV,PK and PP) and often have an extra 10-20 seconds on the ice when the rest of the line has already jumped off to the bench?

I believe Wheeler is glued to the first line because Scheifele is. Maurice sees Scheifele as the first line center, and so will match scheifeles line against the opposing teams top line as much as possible. Wheeler is the best defensive winger and also one of our best offensive wingers when it comes to driving offenss and creating plays, so it makes the most sense to have him on the top line with the hardest matchups as well. If we had ESL, I think PoMo would be inclined to treat them as a second line and give Little-Wheeler the tough matchups, which would be fine by all of us, but I feel like Maurice just doesn't want to do that.

Also I think you're putting too much into this Wheeler-PoMo close relationship thing. If any player is asked about their coach, they're gonna say good things about them, and I can only remember Wheeler talking about Maurice once this season. Helle also praised Maurice but no one is accusing him of trying to get extra starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00