10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
My guess on Maurice...
E S W
MP Li La
KC Lo A
4th line is revolving but you know Copper will be dressed.
Matthias Hendricks Dano Tanev will probably be the revolving door and I hope he plays Matthias and Dano most games.

My roster du jour...
Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
MP Copp Armia
Matthias Lowry Dano
Tanev and Hendricks sit most games with Petan being an injury call up or if he is really lightingit up on the Moose.

Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Buff
Kuli Buff
Chiarot

Mason 49 games and Helle 33 games with Comrie the injury call up.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Perrault Little Wheeler

Or

connor schiefele wheeler
Laine Little Ehlers

or

Laine schiefele wheeler
perrault little ehlers

As others mentioned, it's best on best now

For me it should be

Perrault Schiefele Wheeler (against malkin and backstrom line)
Laine Little Ehlers ( against bergeron , crosby line )
xxx Lowry Armia (Defense) = (offense) connor Petan xxx

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
for me to start the season i would like:

Laine - Chef - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perrault - Petan - Armia
Dano - Lowry - Cop (Dano & Cop can switch to who ever can play the side better)
can switch in Mathias, Tanev or Hendrix on 4th line wing, keep whoever performs better

Mor - Trouba
Enstrom - Buff
Kul - Myers
Chirott

Reactions: Daximus and jungles

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If I were coach:

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Matty P-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Petan-Dano
Lowry-Copp-Armia
Hendricks

Trouba-Enstrom
Morrissey-Buff
Poolman-Myers
Kulikov

Mason
Helle

PP1:

Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler

Laine-Buff

PP2:

Connor-Little-Ehlers

Petan-Enstrom

On paper, this is a roster that should contend for top spot in the western conference.

Are you straight up trolling Trouba?
LHD :sarcasm:

Reactions: Torque

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
After last night's game, I would like to see a balanced lineup, with consideration to special teams roles:

Copp-Scheif-Wheeler (this a guaranteed + line, with Copp taking care of the neutral zone the two stars can have more offensive impact)

Ehlers-Little-Laine (separating Laine from the big guns gives better matchups)

Perreault-Petan-Armia (secondary scoring)

Matthias-Lowry-Lipon (Though unheralded Lipon was the guy blocking shots in the last minute last night, sealing the deal, his shifts often end in the offensive zone, this would be the 2nd defensive line after Scheifs.)

You can switch Perreault and Copp at anytime, or Scheif and Little.

Dano, Tanev in the PB, and Hendricks on IR to start. Don't want to lose Tanev, his speed is world class, which is nice to have on a PK. I think we can keep one forward injured for most of the year. Dano is the replacement for Armia.

Connor gets a ton of playing time on the Moose, works his way up. Rekindles chemistry with Roslovic, add Spacek to that line and it is a dynamo. I want to see Connor used in all situations so he is truly NHL ready in time.

Poolman starts on the Moose. QBs the PP, kills penalties regularly. His versatility limits Chiarot's action to two injuries from playing time.

Lots of PP options

PK
Copp-Armia
Lowry-Matthias
Scheif-Wheeler
with Little and Lipon to fill in.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
for me to start the season i would like:

Laine - Chef - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perrault - Petan - Armia
Dano - Lowry - Cop (Dano & Cop can switch to who ever can play the side better)
can switch in Mathias, Tanev or Hendrix on 4th line wing, keep whoever performs better

Mor - Trouba
Enstrom - Buff
Kul - Myers
Chirott

My lineup exactly but I'd switch Copp and Dano like you said. Pretty sure Copp is better on left side.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Hmmm let's get realistic with what we're going to see.

? - Scheifele - ?
? - Little - ?
? - Lowry - ?
? - Hendricks - ?

What are your best lineups using our most probable starting center depth chart?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Hmmm let's get realistic with what we're going to see.

? - Scheifele - ?
? - Little - ?
? - Lowry - ?
? - Hendricks - ?

What are your best lineups using our most probable starting center depth chart?

I don't think Hendricks will play center. He played on the wing his last one or two preseason games, and he obviously played on the wing for like 90% of the last three years with the Oilers. When PauMau talked about faceoffs, I really think he meant PK faceoffs. I think it's Scheifele-Little-Lowry-Copp to start the season.

If I were coach for one preseason game, and I had to use those centers, I would try:
Perreault-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Ehlers-Lowry-Dano
Matthias-Copp-Armia
If it doesn't work (with L2/L3 being the reason because L1 just works), replace Connor with Ehlers and figure out who should play at 3LW instead (Connor?/Petan?/Matthias?). Also possible is to switch Armia/Dano so all the PK units play together 5v5 (Lowry/Armia, Copp/Matthias, Little/Wheeler)

Hard to tell what lineup PauMau has in mind because it's kinda hard to figure out what he thinks about Connor.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
So after that painful opening game... I didn't see it, anyone have the TOI stats what line combos PoMo actually used? Or just how it seemed to you? (I saw the opening lineup but I'd expect the inevitable blender got in full swing.) And what about D pairs?

Kind of trying to gauge what to realistically expect going forward. (At least for starting lineups.)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I steered away from doing a roster prediction in hopes that I wouldn't have jinxed anything, but since it does not look like Maurice is interested in changing anything, I might as well post the lines as I would like them to be. We'll work from the net out, and going from the bottom to the top.

The situation in the crease is pretty obvious. Or is it? We have two goaltenders who should be able to easily split the starter job, and to be honest, I am not convinced that based on recent performances (before the Leafs catastrophe, mind you) one would deserve the starter position over the other. I am expecting that the workload will be split fairly evenly between our duo, but as it is more likely, Mason gets the edge over Connor until proven otherwise. That being said, if Helle is playing great, Mason immediately becomes the one warming the bench.

Mason
Hellebuyck

Our defensive pairings will largely depend on which guys have chemistry between each other. That complicates making this post this soon, as we have not seen enough to properly judge the players' ability to work as pairs. (this is going great, I know) With a deep and experienced blue line, we should be able to experiment throughout the year, but as of now, I would begin by slotting Myers in the 3RD position. This is absolutely an overkill, and an expensive one too, but we are fortunate enough to afford such a luxury. Provided that he stays healthy, Myers should be one of the four guys who take care of the PK, and if necessary, the second PP unit as well (I, for one, would prefer us having 4F-1D in both units). Myers should be partnered with Enstrom. I have little confidence in Enstrom being capable of handling tough assignments and/or high minutes. A 3LD spot takes some of the burden off his shoulders, while leaving him with a decent partner in Myers. Enstrom could be used as the fifth PKer (or fourth, should it be too hard a job to trust Morrissey to do that) out of the D corps.

The second RD is Byfuglien. I wanted to see him being utilised in this position last year, but the lack of a viable bottom pairing made that impossible to pull off. To go more in-depth with this choice, we all know that in the end, the blue line depends on Buff. No one comes close to being the game-breaker Byfuglien can be - for better or for worse. Another thing we know is that Buff will not be going anywhere, hence why the blue line and its deployment should be done in a way that specifically allows Buff to excel. As his partner, I want to see Kulikov. He would be there to stabilise the pairing - in this instance, Buff must be given a lot of freedom, and Kulikov might be the best LHD of ours to compliment Buff. For these two, it is all about letting Dustin run the show offensively. As for special teams usage, Kulikov is not going to see any PP time, but he is the one to rely upon on the PK. Byfuglien, on the other hand, remains as the lone first PP unit defenseman, but from now on, he should see absolutely no time on the PK, as opposed to the ~3 minutes of PK a night he played last year. We can afford to use the other five guys on the kill, so how about not tiring Buff out there and letting him concentrate on the side of the game he knows best?

At this point, the bottom pairing is blatantly obvious. Trouba is the 1RD, partnered with Morrissey on the left. We all know what these two are capable of: terrific defensive play with little mistakes all around. Trouba has proven himself to be capable of driving some offense, and Morrissey is yet to show his full arsenal - if there is some untapped offensive potential, we could have a very good all-around first pairing that ticks most, if not all boxes in regards to what a high-end pairing should provide in today's NHL. In this lineup, however, these two are the ones who are used to against the best opponents and log a lot of ES minutes. With the second pairing being built specifically for Buff, this pairing has to compensate for the lack of defense. On a positive notion, Jacob and Josh are more than capable of doing just that. Trouba would also play a lot of special teams - he is a lock for the second PP unit, and carries the first PK unit. Morrissey should realistically challenge Myers for the third D spot on the PP, and he should easily be a integral part of the PK.

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

Now we get to the interesting part. The fourth line is one we have already seen, and for a long time too. It is formed by Matthias, Lowry and Armia. That's it. The trio is good defensively, which is not even debatable. There is a catch, though. Given how well they play together, how do you split them up? The results have not been pretty whenever someone else has replaced one of the three (this has been rare, though), so I think it is just logical to keep them together and put them in the position in which they are much more suited than where they are currently used: the fourth line. Their lack of offense does not shine through that much when their minutes are more limited, and with them off the third line, we can actually have an offensive third line that adds scoring on its own. This line is a prime candidate to take on some of the heavier assignments, as it has done in the past. As for the special teams, Armia and Lowry are still likely to have a huge role in our PK, but I really don't want to see Lowry on the PP (if he has to, the second unit, please.)

Now, the top 9 has the current top 6, with three added players to fill out the three lines. The three most likely ones to fit the bill are Copp, Dano and Petan. No Connor as of yet, but he will get his chances. To construct the lines, I'm going to take a page out of Garret's book and make sure that the three playdrivers are separated, which puts us at...

XXX - Scheifele - XXX
XXX - XXX - Wheeler
Perreault - XXX - XXX

The way I would go with this is putting Laine with Scheifele, Petan with Wheeler and Little with Perreault. We all know how deadly a duo we have in 55 and 29 - it would be insane to pass up on that. Little and Wheeler has been a very fine combination in the past, but I reckon having Perreault and Little as a duo would give us at least somewhat respectable line in our own end. Then again, it comes with a tradeoff of having Petan centering the second line, but there are quite few options available for us. No matter what we do, with both Armia and Lowry in the fourth line leaves at least one of our other three lines lacking defensive prowess. Anyway, now we have...

XXX - Scheifele - Laine
XXX - Petan - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - XXX

I doubt we need Ehlers in the first line. In fact, I would give that spot to Dano. I feel like he could be a net-front guy in this line, for Scheifele and Laine have much more to give in other ways. The second line LW spot is Ehlers'. I have to admit - I have my doubts about this line, and I don't quite like it myself. Then again, the guys have deceptively good shots and are all gifted with the puck, so it's not horrible. They need sheltering, though, for there is barely any defense between the three, and Petan is unproven as a center, which could cause massive problems defensively. This leaves Copp, who then goes in the 3RW spot. With Perreault and Little helping out, that's a line you can rely on in all three zones. We end up with...

Dano - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Petan - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Copp
Matthias - Lowry - Armia

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

I really can't say anything about the special teams - I simply do not know enough about the possible setups to give credible opinions on the matter.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Looking at D's individual TOI:

Trouba - EV 16:18 - PP 6:38 - PK 1:49
Buff - EV 13:06 - PP 9:06 - PK 0:07
Myers - EV 13:02 - PP 7:19 - PK 3:03
Kulikov - EV 13:09 - PP 0:00 - PK 2:39
Morrissey - EV 12:14 - PP 0.24 - PK 0:00
Enstrom - EV 10:25 - PP 0:00 - PK 2:13

Maybe all the PP explains it, but Morrissey got less EV and total minutes than I expected.

(What's a good site for checking TOI by pair/line combos, not individually?)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So we are back to Perreault - Little - Laine, should have guessed. In the first line it's going to be Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler, book it. This is how I see the team moving forward (like it or not). I don't have the slightest idea why Maurice is force-feeding Little to Laine. It wasn't clicking last year and it isn't clicking now. The ESL line was the best line I've ever seen compiled since the beginning of last season and the reason why PaMo didn't even give it a try (up to my best knowledge) during the pre-season runs beyond me. That would be a no-brainer to tryout in the next game but I'm not forcing hopes to see it happening. Maurice's thinking is off-the-box and not in a good way. I had a short moment where I thought that things might've changed but it took about 60 minutes worth of game time to pass by .

Just fire the guy while there's still time to save the season (yeah right). :D

Reactions: Shaibu

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
In no order...
Copp - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Armia
Ehlers - Petan - Laine
Matthias - Lowry - Dano

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
In no order...
Copp - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Armia
Ehlers - Petan - Laine
Matthias - Lowry - Dano

I think you've managed to make them worse than what Maurice has. Copp has no business being near the top line. Also this means one of Little and Ehlers+Laine get bottom 6 minutes. MLD could be a solid 4th though.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
So we are back to Perreault - Little - Laine, should have guessed. In the first line it's going to be Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler, book it. This is how I see the team moving forward (like it or not). I don't have the slightest idea why Maurice is force-feeding Little to Laine. It wasn't clicking last year and it isn't clicking now. The ESL line was the best line I've ever seen compiled since the beginning of last season and the reason why PaMo didn't even give it a try (up to my best knowledge) during the pre-season runs beyond me. That would be a no-brainer to tryout in the next game but I'm not forcing hopes to see it happening. Maurice's thinking is off-the-box and not in a good way. I had a short moment where I thought that things might've changed but it took about 60 minutes worth of game time to pass by .

Just fire the guy while there's still time to save the season (yeah right). :D

So Maurice had that for top 6. Did it stay like that through the game?

I noticed Lowry racked up some crazy minutes. What was the bottom 6 like? (And did it seem to work?)

I really hate Maurice's blender, it's like he understand nothing about units and building on good chemistry. Find good lines (as if they aren't evident but anyway), give them some freaking stability and consistency, then maybe you can get problems fixed with special teams and team defense...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So Maurice had that for top 6. Did it stay like that through the game?

I noticed Lowry racked up some crazy minutes. What was the bottom 6 like? (And did it seem to work?)

I really hate Maurice's blender, it's like he understand nothing about units and building on good chemistry. Find good lines (as if they aren't evident but anyway), give them some freaking stability and consistency, then maybe you can get problems fixed with special teams and team defense...

They started up with Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler with Ehlers - Little - Laine on the second line, then Ehlers and Perreault (who was really having not so great game) switched spots.
He really doesn't understand, or if he actually does understand, then he lacks the character in a fear of making Wheeler angry by being demoted to play with Little. I think it could be either way or even both.
Wheelers is the player that was eating the minutes on the 5 vs 5 last season and it seemed to be the case again judging by the first game. They seem to have formed a special relationship between him and PaMo.
I don't really have anything against Wheeler by the way, he's a good player. It's the lines that don't work. Lowry got his minutes by playing a lot of power play in the first unit and I've often thought is he really needed there. Yeah sure, he makes a good mask and can take face offs but that's about that as far as contributing.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
We won't make the playoffs with a third line consisting of these three: Matthias, Lowry, Armia
Petan needs to be out there. A third line centre should have been found. Lowry should stay on fourth line.
When Connor comes up he might help save that third line. But Chevy messed up by having too much fourth line fodder.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think you've managed to make them worse than what Maurice has. Copp has no business being near the top line. Also this means one of Little and Ehlers+Laine get bottom 6 minutes. MLD could be a solid 4th though.

Jets have enough talent to pull this off. I don't mind it that much really. The idea of "bottom 6 minutes" should be long passed. Those 4 lines you can basically roll them at 5v5 and create all kinds of mismatches. The Scheifeles/Laine/Ehlers/Wheelers would get up into the 18-19-20 minute range based on PP time and potentially late in game time.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I get this is the "My Ideal Lineup" thread, and that is always interesting stuff. But from the other side of the fence, what is Maurice actually rolling out there? What's the grim reality?

(I've missed both games, and TOI stats don't really tell who's with who in lines and pairs. Assuming it's not a nonstop blender bonanza... Probably needless to say, I'm in the "fire Maurice yesterday" camp. I commend the obviously good work for player development, but I'm not sure he should be allowed near any hockey team on game days.)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I get this is the "My Ideal Lineup" thread, and that is always interesting stuff. But from the other side of the fence, what is Maurice actually rolling out there? What's the grim reality?

(I've missed both games, and TOI stats don't really tell who's with who in lines and pairs. Assuming it's not a nonstop blender bonanza... Probably needless to say, I'm in the "fire Maurice yesterday" camp. I commend the obviously good work for player development, but I'm not sure he should be allowed near any hockey team on game days.)

Last night it was

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Matthias-Lowry-Petan
Tanev-Copp-Armia

Morrissey-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Trouba
Enstrom-Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

Pressbox: Dano, Poolman

ocdaddy