Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXX - Sweet Little 16 (…Days until TDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
I can’t see us sweeping any of our potential opponents in a series but in 6-7 games maybe. Any deep run could and usually does become a war of attrition. I can see us picking up a top 6 forward, bottom 6 forward and a vet Defenseman.

I would like to see some of the players get rotated out for periodical maintenance days so they can be fresh for the playoffs. Reaves looks gassed among others.

Also Brodzinksi looked pretty good in for McKegg.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Teams like Arizona do that, but I can't see us doing it beyond this year. We might weaponize our cap space this year to get another pick or two.

The original poster was suggesting that we create cap space by adding a player on LTIR, like Toronto has done in the past, but Toronto traded away players and took back LTIR players.

Toronto added Clarkson's bad contract in 2019. It was Sparks to Vegas for Clarkson and 4th round pick. The Leafs already had Horton on long term IR. The Leafs had the money for Marner. He came in at $10.93M. Sparks cost $750,000.

Reactions: BBKers

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Toronto added Clarkson's bad contract in 2019. It was Sparks to Vegas for Clarkson and 4th round pick. The Leafs already had Horton on long term IR. The Leafs had the money for Marner. He came in at $10.93M. Sparks cost $750,000.

But you understand that simply adding a player that is on LTIR without subtracting other players, whether they are in the same deal or not, doesn't add cap space, right? Us trading a 7th round pick for Weber doesn't magically increase our available cap space.

Last edited:

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Okay. So. I suggested Rackell at least a week ago. And, pounded that drum a few times the past couple years but, it seems more likely now as Anaheim and fans are on the same page that it's time to sell. I say that for context of my thought process, not to gloat.

But, for all the steam a Rackell acquisition has picked up recently, I can't phathom why posters for this team assume he is a top 6 RW on this team and will create problems for either Kakko or Lafreniere. (?)

Regardless of any previous friendship or playing time with Zibanejad.

Rackell for all that he brings, just does not scream top 6 player. Yes, he can fill in adequately, which is an attractive quality. But, he has not put up top 6 production in quite some time. He is a great middle 6 Swiss army knife. A guy who is a top 6 on a bottom feeder and a luxury as a 3RW. We could use a luxury 3RW now that Kakko appears to have earned Strome and Panarins trust to be included in the cycle, and Lafreniere is integrating with Ziba and Kreids consistently.

A guy like Rackell is an insurance policy, not a "solid bet".

Top 9? Hell yes.
Middle 6? Hell yes.
3rd RW? Luxury
Top 6? Woof! (see ex: Anaheim)

He's a role player boys. Stop making him into an either/or with Kakko and Lafrenier on THIS TEAM. (Not that he can't be a semi-long term re-sign.)

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would have to assume the Rangers are watching Giroux but frankly do they really need to watch him at this point? He’s been around forever

Giroux also would fall under the category of a “big move” that all the pundits seem to be predicting Drury does at the deadline

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yes, but adding a player who is on LTIR without subtracting anyone off the roster won't create any cap space. I explained all of this on pages 1 and 2.

This has for some reason always confusing...your explanation is how I thought it worked. I get how it works in the Kucherov example. But then why do teams trade for LTIR contracts if it doesn't create cap space i.e. Seabrook?

Edit - nevermind, I guess it is because it allowed them to shed Johnson's entire contract...so that was the savings for Tampa

Last edited:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Okay. So. I suggested Rackell at least a week ago. And, pounded that drum a few times the past couple years but, it seems more likely now as Anaheim and fans are on the same page that it's time to sell.

But, for all the steam a Rackell acquisition has picked up recently, I can't phathom why posters for this team assume he is a top 6 RW on this team and will create problems for either Kakko or Lafreniere. (?)

Rackell for all that he brings, just does not scream top 6 player. Yes, he can fill in adequately, which is an attractive quality. But, he has not put up top 6 production in quite some time. He is a great middle 6 Swiss army knife. A guy who is a top 6 on a bottom feeder and a luxury as a 3RW. We could use a luxury 3RW now that Kakko appears to have earned Strome and Panarins trust to be included in the cycle, and Lafreniere is integrating with Ziba and Kreids consistently.

A guy like Rackell is an insurance policy, not a "solid bet".

Top 9? Hell yes.
Middle 6? Hell yes.
3rd RW? Luxury
Top 6? Woof! (see ex: Anaheim)

He's a role player boys. Stop making him into an either/or with Kakko and Lafrenier on THIS TEAM. (Not that he can't be a semi-long term re-sign.)

Definitely on the Rakell train, but I think the scenarios are different. I think he could be a top 6 guy here, cause he isn't the driver, he's the passenger.

I would not have him supplant Kakko or Lafreniere, but I think if things get stale, he's the right kind of guy to move in those spots. Of course, would also be good injury insurance for a top 6 guy too.

Maybe he is a guy you can get on the cheap in the offseason too, so if it works, could be more than a rental. He's playing for a contract, so lots of motivation for a guy that has been out of the postseason for a while too.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Rangers need to be the Avs Sugar daddy. Retain on Copp and Giroux for them. I’ll take their 3rd this year and 4th in 2023. Flip those picks in deals for your rentals/Lehkonnen

Last edited:

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
The Rangers were in Philly again.

Ooof. This is like Coyotes level...

FM9vKe0XwAow4B6

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Definitely on the Rakell train, but I think the scenarios are different. I think he could be a top 6 guy here, cause he isn't the driver, he's the passenger.

I would not have him supplant Kakko or Lafreniere, but I think if things get stale, he's the right kind of guy to move in those spots. Of course, would also be good injury insurance for a top 6 guy too.

Maybe he is a guy you can get on the cheap in the offseason too, so if it works, could be more than a rental. He's playing for a contract, so lots of motivation for a guy that has been out of the postseason for a while too.

Going forward. Blais, Goodrow, Rackell is an elite 3rd line next season. Bonus is all 3 can fill in top 6 reliably for injuries.

It takes the sting out of trading Chytil for an upgrade elsewhere to vault us from Hopefull's to Contenders.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I would have to assume the Rangers are watching Giroux but frankly do they really need to watch him at this point? He’s been around forever

Giroux also would fall under the category of a “big move” that all the pundits seem to be predicting Drury does at the deadline
I would have assumed they’re focusing on Chicago actually.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Rangers need to be the Avs Sugard daddies. Retain on Copp and Giroux for them. I’ll take their 3rd this year and 4th in 2023. Flip those picks in deals for your rentals/Lehkonnen

If, by chance, we meet them in the SCF, that is a razors edge ballsy move that if it works out makes Drurys career, if it doesn't he joins Neil Smith on the scrap heap.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The Rangers were in Philly again.

Damn who are we looking at so hard???
Laughton? Konecny?

paul and OTT seem to be far apart contract wise.... wouldn’t cost a ton.. he might be a solid rental as well.
Chytil should be tried at RW with strome panarin until kakko returns imo...
If that trio is solid as it was prior and becomes consistent then Drury can truly turn to fixing the 3rd line...

I think at this point, GG is content keeping both Hunt and Reaves on the 4th line for the playoffs, maybe with Gauthier rotating in here or there.

they key is do 1 of kakko/Chytil work well with strome-bread....if yes, the picture for what we’re looking to add at the TDL becomes more clear.
It seems LaF has found a home with Zibby-kreider.

Last edited:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If, by chance, we meet them in the SCF, that is a razors edge ballsy move that if it works out makes Drurys career, if it doesn't he joins Neil Smith on the scrap heap.
I think the chances of that happening are near infinitesimal. The Rangers time is not now.

Reactions: bhamill

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
can likely get a vet leader like Giordano for cheap
Nemeth I do think will play better now though

C this year would be for a 3rd line to go W Goodrow and likely Chytil unless he’s traded

I’d argue for more, unless you want to get run over in the playoffs. We won’t win the cup this year either way, but. Hertle, and Chychrun. Both. Do you want to see Miller reaching for his whole life? Or more of Strome.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Yeah. But of a pickle. I think a healthy Kakko is absolutely fine in the top six but we don’t know about the health part yet. When will he be back. Will he have a lot of catching up to do? Probably a rental is enough but a cheap top six rental is hard to find.
Obviously if it’s a pure rental I’m ok with that but that’s it

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad