Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXX - Sweet Little 16 (…Days until TDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
It’s better a buyer then a seller. Means we are doing better then some other teams. Kick the tires and see what you can get, just don’t break the bank. If there is nothing out there stand pat and promote from within, throw something on the wall and see what sticks

Reactions: free0717

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
It's basically been a bunch of AHL goalie trades, the Nick Ritchie cap dump, and the Toffoli trade, which was an actual trade.

The Band-Aid has to get ripped here at some point.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
It's basically been a bunch of AHL goalie trades, the Nick Ritchie cap dump, and the Toffoli trade, which was an actual trade.

The Band-Aid has to get ripped here at some point.

most teams have no cap space so they have to wait till closer to the deadline

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmox and duhmetreE

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I think there will be quite a lot of wheeling and dealing. Do we pick up a LTIR contract to use next year?

On another note - I am picking up a Ukrainian refugee Mother and her 6-year old child in 2 hours at a hotel here in town (Bialystok) via a local charity organization. They do not speak Polish, English or any of the other 6 languages I can communicate in. Will be interesting. They can stay here in our house as long as they need to. Terrible, terrible human tragedy. It is hard to imagine. We live only 30 miles from the Belarusian border and around 120 miles from both the Russian (Kaliningrad enclave) and the Ukrainian borders. We have helicopters circling above our house every hour like a surreal scene outta Apocalypse Now cuz there is a fueling station about a mile away at a small airport. The military presence here has been overwhelming the past weeks with scores of tanks, canons, missiles and all types of camouflaged vehicles passing through all the time. Fighter jets passing by too. After CoVid pandemic came war, who could imagine… 2020s are not the best of times.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think there will be quite a lot of wheeling and dealing. Do we pick up a LTIR contract to use next year?

On another note - I am picking up a Ukrainian refugee Mother and her 6-year old child in 2 hours at a hotel here in town (Bialystok) via a local charity organization. They do not speak Polish, English or any of the other 6 languages I can communicate in. Will be interesting. They can stay here in our house as long as they need to. Terrible, terrible human tragedy. It is hard to imagine. We live only 30 miles from the Belarusian border and around 120 miles from both the Russian (Kaliningrad enclave) and the Ukrainian borders. We have helicopters circling above our house every hour like a surreal scene outta Apocalypse Now cuz there is a fueling station about a mile away at a small airport. The military presence here has been overwhelming the past weeks with scores of tanks, canons, missiles and all types of camouflaged vehicles passing through all the time. Fighter jets passing by too. After CoVid pandemic came war, who could imagine… 2020s are not the best of times.

Amazing!

It’s always hard to grasp the dimension of something happening right infront of you right here and now, but this could very well be worse than 9/11 and the pandemic combined and no expert think odds for a quick ending, that would avoid hundred of thousands of deaths, are more than slim at this point.

This is not the right place to discuss what is right or wrong, but to assume that the NHL won’t be affected is risky. Especially with the AO connection.

If am Drury I am adding another vet goalie to HFD — just in case. I would also definitely get in contact with Hellberg. I don’t know what we can do about the wing situation if Panarin won’t be available for a number of years.

Reactions: egelband

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
a Ukrainian refugee Mother and her 6-year old
at least there's no need to have their teeth scanned to make sure this bearded guy is a 17yrs 364 d old yut
They do not speak Polish
While by no means enough to freely communicate, Russian (which I'm sure they speak, in fact more likely than Ukrainian, tho that they prob speak as well ofc) has quite a few very similar words/phrases. Might be at least of some help, if only on a *very* basic level.
helicopters circling above our house every hour like a surreal scene outta Apocalypse Now
Or like a shockingly real scene from very recent Australian beach life...

Good luck. I imagine I'd do the same... Though according to my inner beliefs I'd start thinking about something for them to settle more normally. Like work for the mother. However that's a tall order for one citizen to organize for an immigrant in an alien country. Probably that'll be some government agency business in this case..

Reactions: Cmox and BBKers

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Adding an LTIR contract only helps us if we are sending out cap at the same time. Other than Nemeth, we don't have any cap dumps.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I wonder if Drury is looking at goalies right now, in case Shesty and Geo won’t be allowed to play.

Nobody in the NHL wants it, arguments can certainly be made against it, but the atrocities have only just begun and the only ones that can do something about it is ultimately the people of Russia.

MMA has a great number of Chechen/Russian fighters friendly with the dictator there. These guy are started to be targeted. AO is close by. He and his family are part of the establishment. If AO is ousted, where do you draw the line? Panarin did his part.

After a week one million refugees are fleeing Ukraine. Civilians are targeted in indiscriminate shellings. Trump described it as a holocaust.

Hasek:
Dominik Hasek: NHL should suspend Russian players amid Ukraine war
In terms of MMA, Fedor has been close to Putin as they both have a Sambo background. Interestingly, Emelianenko is Ukrainian.
Hellberg could be a good option if a goalie is needed, decent stats and a good vet.
Strauss Mann has been playing in Sweden (Skellaftea) and may be an option as well. Same with undrafted NCAA netminder Dryden McKay (Minnesota State Mankato), he's put up stellar numbers (107-19-4) and might be ready to step right in after college finishes up. I guess it all depends on what transpires, Kinkaid is okay but more of a backup and I'd be nervous having him and Georgiev as a tandem in the postseason, Huska is still a bit raw but might benefit from getting the experience but at the same time I wonder where that leaves Hartford in terms of their success and development going forward.
A rental defensive defenseman could help alleviate any goaltending concerns as well but I guess that depends on who's available and at what price.
Skol.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
I’ll say what I’ve said since last Summer.

2 needs:

1)A #2 C. (preferably LH, needs to win FOs, needs to play defense).

2)A #2 LD - slides Miller down, gets Nemeth , etc al on the taxi squad.

Reactions: mas0764

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019

That is very kind of you and your family to do this. Very inspiring. We should all follow your lead to try to be better to each other.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY

My family is from Belarus and my great-grandmother was Polish. Im dating a Ukranian girl (soon to be fiance hopefully) who still has some family friends back there. I thank you for doing what you can man, people like you are what we need at this time. Certainly give them some access to your liquor cabinet haha.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I like the idea of Rakell and Lehkonen as the adds at forward

Only issue with Rakell is you want him in the top 6 so either Laffy or Kakko is coming out. I wonder if Rakell would work well with Panarin and Strome as the sniper on that line and they set Rakell up.

Anaheim fans seem to think their GM would have more interest in Kravstov than the Rangers first for Rakell

Maybe Kravstov for Rakell and 2nd and Gauthier for Lehkonen? Idk

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Adding an LTIR contract only helps us if we are sending out cap at the same time. Other than Nemeth, we don't have any cap dumps.
AM I totally misinformed that a LTIR Player allows the team to go over the cap ceiling by the extra amount that contract counts for? This year would be irrelevant as you state. But for the next 2 years it could provide decent wiggle room, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: pld459666 and Ola

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
at least there's no need to have their teeth scanned to make sure this bearded guy is a 17yrs 364 d old yut

While by no means enough to freely communicate, Russian (which I'm sure they speak, in fact more likely than Ukrainian, tho that they prob speak as well ofc) has quite a few very similar words/phrases. Might be at least of some help, if only on a *very* basic level.

Or like a shockingly real scene from very recent Australian beach life...

Good luck. I imagine I'd do the same... Though according to my inner beliefs I'd start thinking about something for them to settle more normally. Like work for the mother. However that's a tall order for one citizen to organize for an immigrant in an alien country. Probably that'll be some government agency business in this case..
I will arrange för work in due time pending state of mind and qualifications. Someone got me into the Chamber of Commerce here so I think there are connections to fix this. School for child first priority

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I’ll say what I’ve said since last Summer.

2 needs:

1)A #2 C. (preferably LH, needs to win FOs, needs to play defense).

2)A #2 LD - slides Miller down, gets Nemeth , etc al on the taxi squad.

can likely get a vet leader like Giordano for cheap
Nemeth I do think will play better now though

C this year would be for a 3rd line to go W Goodrow and likely Chytil unless he’s traded

Reactions: duhmetreE

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I will arrange för work in due time pending state of mind and qualifications. Someone got me into the Chamber of Commerce here so I think there are connections to fix this. School for child first priority
surprised you're even looking into this. Kudos! The way to go.
School, yes. No idea how you find one for an immigrant in Poland..
In Russia there are HORDES of Central Asia (those *-stans) aliens (very much not always legal.. even tho there's no visa needed with most of the states) - their kids sometimes barely speak Russian yet crammed into general schools... There's hardly a thing in state affairs that's not mishandled here..

Reactions: egelband

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I like the idea of Rakell and Lehkonen as the adds at forward

Only issue with Rakell is you want him in the top 6 so either Laffy or Kakko is coming out. I wonder if Rakell would work well with Panarin and Strome as the sniper on that line and they set Rakell up.

Anaheim fans seem to think their GM would have more interest in Kravstov than the Rangers first for Rakell

Maybe Kravstov for Rakell and 2nd and Gauthier for Lehkonen? Idk

Being realistic, we’ll never get true value for Kravs unless he swallows his pride and comes back to prove himself with this org. But I’d still rather hold out hope for that than trade him for a pure rental.

If Rakell was willing to sign a reasonable extension and you know Kravs isn’t coming back this year, then I think I would pull that trigger. I was thinking the same thing about plugging him in with Panarin and Strome…I’d love for Kakko to take that spot, but Panarin seems to have trouble sharing the ice with another highly talented winger for some reason. That’s not a knock on him…Crosby has thrived with average Joes on his line his entire career. Just seems to work better for some guys.

I think Rakell might be a perfect fit for that RW spot. Then you slot Kakko in on the 3rd line with some combo of Chytil/Gauthier/Goodrow/Barron and have 3 really good lines with a 4th line banger.

Just add in a vet LHD like Giordano for a conditional 2nd and mid-tier prospect and we’re buttoned up for this year.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Being realistic, we’ll never get true value for Kravs unless he swallows his pride and comes back to prove himself with this org. But I’d still rather hold out hope for that than trade him for a pure rental.

If Rakell was willing to sign a reasonable extension and you know Kravs isn’t coming back this year, then I think I would pull that trigger. I was thinking the same thing about plugging him in with Panarin and Strome…I’d love for Kakko to take that spot, but Panarin seems to have trouble sharing the ice with another highly talented winger for some reason. That’s not a knock on him…Crosby has thrived with average Joes on his line his entire career. Just seems to work better for some guys.

I think Rakell might be a perfect fit for that RW spot. Then you slot Kakko in on the 3rd line with some combo of Chytil/Gauthier/Goodrow/Barron and have 3 really good lines with a 4th line banger.

Just add in a vet LHD like Giordano for a conditional 2nd and mid-tier prospect and we’re buttoned up for this year.

i am guessing the Ducks will want a player Back so they are not totally giving up on the season

2nd and Gauthier ? They are gonna try for a 1st though and may get it since Foligno cost that last year

Kravtsov isn’t a lock to come back soon W khl playoffs

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
AM I totally misinformed that a LTIR Player allows the team to go over the cap ceiling by the extra amount that contract counts for? This year would be irrelevant as you state. But for the next 2 years it could provide decent wiggle room, no?

LTIR enables the team to exceed the cap, but the player on LTIR still counts against the cap. So if we're at 81.5 mil and we add a player making 5 mil and put him on LTIR, we're then allowed to spend up to 86.5 mil, but we are already spending 86.5 mil due to that player's cap hit.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
LTIR enables the team to exceed the cap, but the player on LTIR still counts against the cap. So if we're at 81.5 mil and we add a player making 5 mil and put him on LTIR, we're then allowed to spend up to 86.5 mil, but we are already spending 86.5 mil due to that player's cap hit.
in other words we can't add... which incentivizes to add a player to LTIR with a maximum possible hit?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
in other words we can't add... which incentivizes to add a player to LTIR with a maximum possible hit?

LTIR is really tricky in how it works. It depends on how much cap space the team has remaining. That's why teams get as close as possible to the cap before placing players on LTIR. Examples:

Cap is 81.5 mil
Team is spending 72 mil against the cap
Team places player with 5 mil cap hit on LTIR
Net result: Nothing. No LTIR cap space is created because the team is already more than 5 mil under the cap.

Cap is 81.5 mil
Team is spending 80 mil against the cap
Team places player with 5 mil cap hit on LTIR
Net result: The team can now spend up to 85 mil. The team's new cap ceiling is their previous expenditure + the player's cap hit.

In both cases, the amount of cap the team is using hasn't changed.

It should be noted that LTIR cap space can't be accrued. If the cap is 81.5 mil and the team is spending 80.5 (prorated) mil through the first half of the season, they can spend 82.5 mil (prorated) through the 2nd half of the season. If the team is using LTIR and their new cap ceiling is 84 mil, and they are spending 83 mil (prorated) in the first half, they still can't exceed 84 mil (prorated) in the 2nd half.

It should also be noted that performance bonuses can't be paid via LTIR cap space. Next year we will still have performance bonuses for Laf, Miller and Schneider, and potentially others depending on who makes the team. If we end up spending over the cap due to LTIR, any performance bonuses that are earned will automatically roll over into the next year.

The only way we can take advantage of LTIR next year is if one of our existing players gets hurt and is expected to miss the entire regular season. If we are bringing in a player who is on LTIR, we have to send cap out as well to see a benefit from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad