Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXX - Sweet Little 16 (…Days until TDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
While I would love rakell if the plan is to sign him long term I don’t see how that all works out

the plan is to then stick Kakko on the third line for the foreseeable future??? I don’t see it

the rangers need an upgrade on Strome and while rakell is a good player he’s a winger. I’m not about to block Kakko for the foreseeable future. I mean if the play is stick rakell on the third line I guess that’s fine. Upgrade on Strome keep Kakko on the 2nd line when he comes back

Reactions: egelband

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
While I would love rakell if the plan is to sign him long term I don’t see how that all works out

the plan is to then stick Kakko on the third line for the foreseeable future??? I don’t see it

the rangers need an upgrade on Strome and while rakell is a good player he’s a winger. I’m not about to block Kakko for the foreseeable future. I mean if the play is stick rakell on the third line I guess that’s fine. Upgrade on Strome keep Kakko on the 2nd line when he comes back

Agreed in a perfect world they get a C w term

is Gourde a Strome replacement?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If we trade for a winger, it has to be a rental. We shouldn't be spending more money on the wings, not after we traded Buch precisely for that reason. If Rakell is going to cost a 1st, then I'm not interested. If it's a 2nd, okay. I'll pay that for a rental, especially since we have two 2nds.

I mentioned this is the last thread, but surprisingly no one responded. What about Kyle Okposo? He's older, but having his best year in a long time. Maybe he's finally healthy. He's a big body who plays physical, and he's got 15 goals, 33 points in 50 games. The problem with him though is that he has a 6 mil cap hit for next year, but if we could get Buffalo to retain 50%, then get another team to retain 50% of 50%, we could get him at 1.5 mil.

By himself, Okposo shouldn't cost that much, but with the retention, it will drive up the price. I figure a 2nd to Buffalo and a 3rd to another team, say Seattle, for taking 1.5 mil of his contract. Or maybe a 2nd and 4th would do the trick. Regardless, he could be a good add, as he could play on any line, chip in some goals, and add some more grit.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers and Schiefle can swipe right on each other tomorrow and begin the courting process, just saying.

Also the NHL is not going to suspend all Russian players for the playoffs, that's just silly. "Hey Panarin, you missed like 10 games last season because of the Russian government....you clearly support him now".

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Rangers and Schiefle can swipe right on each other tomorrow and begin the courting process, just saying.

Also the NHL is not going to suspend all Russian players for the playoffs, that's just silly. "Hey Panarin, you missed like 10 games last season because of the Russian government....you clearly support him now".

Where is this coming from? Did anyone credible post something to this effect?

Reactions: deathb4disco

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

No interest in Scheifele. There's something rotten in Winnipeg and I think he's a big part of it. With the amount of talent they have, they should be better than they are. He's 2nd on the team in points and last in +/- by a significant margin. That screams to me a player who has no commitment to playing a 200 foot game.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Ottawa is a good team the Rangers can do affordable business with. They won't have to empty the cupboard; think more like the cost of a "pizza and six pack" type of deal.

Connor Brown, Zach Sanford, Chris Tierney.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This is the dream but it’s not gonna happen.

probably not but Seattle likely listens to an overpay

it’s hard to find a fit a term. Everyone thinks Miller cause he has a year left

Hertl , Giroux are rentals which are not idea for the looking now and ahead approach

Reactions: Synergy27

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I wonder if Drury is looking at goalies right now, in case Shesty and Geo won’t be allowed to play.

Nobody in the NHL wants it, arguments can certainly be made against it, but the atrocities have only just begun and the only ones that can do something about it is ultimately the people of Russia.

MMA has a great number of Chechen/Russian fighters friendly with the dictator there. These guy are started to be targeted. AO is close by. He and his family are part of the establishment. If AO is ousted, where do you draw the line? Panarin did his part.

After a week one million refugees are fleeing Ukraine. Civilians are targeted in indiscriminate shellings. Trump described it as a holocaust.

Hasek:
Dominik Hasek: NHL should suspend Russian players amid Ukraine war
This is asinine

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
No interest in Scheifele. There's something rotten in Winnipeg and I think he's a big part of it. With the amount of talent they have, they should be better than they are. He's 2nd on the team in points and last in +/- by a significant margin. That screams to me a player who has no commitment to playing a 200 foot game.

Sometimes very good to great players sour in an environment, get stagnant, etc.

There is something fishy in Winnipeg with Maurice resigning and the team underachieving. Four years ago they went to the WCF and last year honestly, they should have went to the SCF in the Canadian division. Once they got past round one and Toronto and Edmonton were out, it was there for them.

He's still very young. I'd kick the tires on him and see what the Peg would want. If it's Kravstov/Lundkvist/NYR 1st, I'm very interested.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I'm still on the "don't give up on Chytil" team. He's very young. It took Kreider how many years to break the 30 goal barrier?

He plays better with a vet.
Yeah but it only took him only 2 years to break the 20 goal barrier and he has consistently been over 20 goals except the one year in 2017 where he only played 58 games due to injury. Listen you have the right to continue to believe in Chytil but Kreider is a better skater, has a deceptive shot and always had a better feel for the game. Chytil's biggest issue is his ice vision and hockey IQ.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
There's no doubt about it.... Rutherford is 'jonesin' to make a trade.

Problems I have with JTM, is he the 2way guy we need? He needs PP1 time, is he supplanting Strome?

Can he produce at Even-Strength only? It's why I'd lean Karlsson. Now if only a team would eat some cap. Would VGK eat 500k? Would a 3rd team eat 500k+ for a decent asset? It's a long time

Reactions: NYR Viper

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
can likely get a vet leader like Giordano for cheap
Nemeth I do think will play better now though

C this year would be for a 3rd line to go W Goodrow and likely Chytil unless he’s traded
We might need Gio to play top4 minutes with how bad Lindgren has lookd with Fox.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah but it only took him only 2 years to break the 20 goal barrier and he has consistently been over 20 goals except the one year in 2017 where he only played 58 games due to injury. Listen you have the right to continue to believe in Chytil but Kreider is a better skater, has a deceptive shot and always had a better feel for the game. Chytil's biggest issue is his ice vision and hockey IQ.

To be fair, Kreider's first full year was when he was 22, exactly how old Chytil is now. If Chytil had spent the last 4 years in Europe/AHL, the narrative on him would be much different.

As an 18 year old, Chytil put up 31 points in 46 games in the AHL. Kreider put up 23 in 48 as a 21 year old.

Chytil is still trying to figure out his role, and he doesn't get a lot of opportunities. He doesn't play PK. He never gets PP1 time. He very rarely plays in the top 6, but when he does, he usually does well. Maybe he's just not a center. That doesn't make him a bad player.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Crazy thought on this Saturday morning.

If I'm Drury I give Seattle a call--which as most likely already happened but here's my crazy though process.

Seattle is looking for players to grow a core from the ground up and doesn't really have a great minor league team and only 1 year of drafting.

One stop shopping
Gourde @ 50%
Giordano
McCann

for

Chytil
Kravs
Nils
Nemeth
1st this year
Blues 2nd this year

I know it's a lot maybe not even enough from Seattle point of view, but it gives them 3 young players who could jump right into the lineup, another 1st and 2nd round pick to stockpile their team--Nemeth basically replaces Gio for the next 2 years. I can also see Seattle not wanting to trade McCann which of course would kill this deal.

For the Rangers

Gourde or McCann ( RFA ) stay 1 is our 2nd line center and the other can be our 3rd line center. Nemeth is replaced by Jones for the rest of this year and in the future.

If you really want to put all the chips in:

Our 2nd and Goat for Lehkonen from Montreal.

It's a ton to give up but if the Rangers let Strome walk I do believe they can fit everyone under next year's cap.

12 million in from Seattle and 6.8 out from the Rangers adds 5.2 million.

2.3 in Montreal and 800,000 out from the Rangers adds 1.5 million.

Fits this year I'm just not sure how much of a raise McCann and Lehkonen will get for next year.

Too much too little but it does address our needs.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
There's no doubt about it.... Rutherford is 'jonesin' to make a trade.

Problems I have with JTM, is he the 2way guy we need? He needs PP1 time, is he supplanting Strome?

Can he produce at Even-Strength only? It's why I'd lean Karlsson. Now if only a team would eat some cap. Would VGK eat 500k? Would a 3rd team eat 500k+ for a decent asset? It's a long time

I don't think JTM moves without an overpayment. Which should automatically disqualify us.

Boudreau has called him a cornerstone to their team & Van's new GM has said in interviews he's still evaluating everyone. If he is moved at all, I don't see it happening until at least the summer, especially if they're still chasing that 8th spot. By all indications, Boeser is the guy who goes by the TDL.

Reactions: egelband

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Old Thread getting Pretty loaded. I think things start moving after This 4 game road trip. Other teams waiting to accrue every available penny, but The Rangers do not Need to wait as They got $pace galore…
Doesn’t help them if the selling teams want to wait for more offers though

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't think JTM moves without an overpayment. Which should automatically disqualify us.

Boudreau has called him a cornerstone to their team & Van's new GM has said in interviews he's still evaluating everyone. If he is moved at all, I don't see it happening until at least the summer, especially if they're still chasing that 8th spot. By all indications, Boeser is the guy who goes by the TDL.
Edge has said we keep checking in on Horvat too. Another guy that needs PP time.

I don't want to overpay for someone's PP production. I want an Even-Strength player or a player who predominantly gets his production from Even-Strength. It's Karlsson or Larkin. How much of an overpay would Larkin take? and Karlsson might not be an option until the draft.

The inconvenient truth, it may cost a Nils Lundkvist to get a 3rd team to eat cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad