Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXX - Sweet Little 16 (…Days until TDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
You dont trade pieces like that for rentals, plain and simple.

JT Giroux all rentals. Let him rot in vancouver and if you wanna trade a 1st and chytl for him at the TDL next year thats what i will cost. No need to overpay on players who will not be here past a calender year.

Those players need to be moved for #2 center.
You don't let seasons pass when you have a full young D core on the big club and a full set of them in the A. Two playoff shots isn't a simple rental.

So no, I don't trade my top guys like Scheider or Miller, but Robertson, Nils, yes they are in play. But including one of them affects what else I include. And Kravtsov can go to the first team who accepts him for anything of value.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Hertl for Chytil and the 22 1st. Extend Hertl 8 years 8 million. Rangers can squeak by under the cap for 4-5 years until he gets LTIR'd when his knees go and Panarin/Trouba come off the books.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The unexpected...

Drury sort of makes a statement in the offseason after he took over. Added "Tuff" to the roster. Reaves, Tinordi, Goodrow, Blais.

Fast forward to the 56 game mark...

Trouba leads the club with 6 fighting majors. That's more then Reaves, Goodrow and Tinordi combined.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Let’s say Giroux wants to go to NYR
What’s that resigning look like ?
7x3 I see posted . Can’t fit that in no ?
Ugh. I cringe when thinking about what we’d need to give up for him. He’s not a recoupable asset when his contact is up. I hate acquiring old players for that very reason.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hertl for Chytil and the 22 1st. Extend Hertl 8 years 8 million. Rangers can squeak by under the cap for 4-5 years until he gets LTIR'd when his knees go and Panarin/Trouba come off the books.
I don't know about that. We barely can afford Strome at $5ish

Reactions: mas0764

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The only way we get a 'big ticket' player is if a team eats salary or a guy like Giroux extends at a massive discount

I'd rather have Giroux for 2-3 years around 5M than Strome. Hopefully he wants to win more than he wants to get paid

I'm good with a top6 of

Panarin Zibs Kreider
Laffy Giroux Kakko

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't know about that. We barely can afford Strome at $5ish

They can easily afford Strome at that number. Blais & Kakko arent breaking the bank due to injuries. Chytil & Nemeth will be fairly easily moved to create space, especially if Nemeth's play continues to be closer to his career norms. Barron/Hunt/Othmann/Brodzinski will all be a part of the bottom 6 mix for well under 4 mil AAV total. Its possible to squeeze Hertl or Giroux in, they would just need to be aware that it limits their flexibility going forward.

Reactions: Cag29

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The unexpected...

Drury sort of makes a statement in the offseason after he took over. Added "Tuff" to the roster. Reaves, Tinordi, Goodrow, Blais.

Fast forward to the 56 game mark...

Trouba leads the club with 6 fighting majors. That's more then Reaves, Goodrow and Tinordi combined.
Seriously, it’s not that hard to realize that nobody is fighting or challenging Reaves lmao. Did Martin even look his way the night they played the Isles? Reaves was smiling at the pansy. After he knocked Pezetta’s block off, the only guy willing to dance with him was MacDermid, and that’s because he’s a monster.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
They can easily afford Strome at that number. Blais & Kakko arent breaking the bank due to injuries. Chytil & Nemeth will be fairly easily moved to create space, especially if Nemeth's play continues to be closer to his career norms. Barron/Hunt/Othmann/Brodzinski will all be a part of the bottom 6 mix for well under 4 mil AAV total. Its possible to squeeze Hertl or Giroux in, they would just need to be aware that it limits their flexibility going forward.

While NHL 2nd-contracts don't make much sense to me these days, how do we know KK in particular won't be breaking the bank (or at least the bank as it relates to our cap space), and why would he take a team friendly deal? Despite not having the success to show for it yet, he's a recent #2 pick and someone will likely offer him a decent contract if the Rangers low ball. If Gorts and the team in Montreal decide to offer sheet him at $4.1 per for 3 years, we'll match (I assume) but it leaves very little wriggle room.

Moving Chytil still leaves a 3rd line gap that has to be filled, and the 4 players you mentioned will come in around $3.5m, and that's potentially 4 of your bottom six not providing a great deal, not including whatever bargain basement replacement you found for Chytil.

Nothing's impossible, but taking on bigger contracts is going to cause some short and long term problems

Reactions: mas0764

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Laine would certainly be categorized as a big move but he’s essentially a rental in that situation. Can’t afford him long term

Is this kid supposed to be good enough to play right out of school? I’m not familiar with him so I’m trying to figure why the interest is so high

Are the Rangers interested him at all? Or this is speculation cause the lack of center prospects? Anyone feel he will be a deadline deal or a NHL draft deal?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
On his podcast today, Staple said Buch was pretty annoyed that he only got a 15 second “welcome back” video.

That was the only thing interesting thing in the 45 minutes, it’s the same 10 names like RB mentioned.

I guess him saying if Kane is ever moved, the old rumor was he would only want to go to Buffalo or the Rangers.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
You don't let seasons pass when you have a full young D core on the big club and a full set of them in the A. Two playoff shots isn't a simple rental.

So no, I don't trade my top guys like Scheider or Miller, but Robertson, Nils, yes they are in play. But including one of them affects what else I include. And Kravtsov can go to the first team who accepts him for anything of value.

Then we have different ideas of what a player with term on his contract is. I dont want to be in the same mess again in two years and have to move even more of those prospects without having them being restocked without 1st and 2nd round picks. That is the mess that will happen with getting JT. Two deals in two years to solve the same problem. Im not for it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
While NHL 2nd-contracts don't make much sense to me these days, how do we know KK in particular won't be breaking the bank (or at least the bank as it relates to our cap space), and why would he take a team friendly deal? Despite not having the success to show for it yet, he's a recent #2 pick and someone will likely offer him a decent contract if the Rangers low ball. If Gorts and the team in Montreal decide to offer sheet him at $4.1 per for 3 years, we'll match (I assume) but it leaves very little wriggle room.

Moving Chytil still leaves a 3rd line gap that has to be filled, and the 4 players you mentioned will come in around $3.5m, and that's potentially 4 of your bottom six not providing a great deal, not including whatever bargain basement replacement you found for Chytil.

Nothing's impossible, but taking on bigger contracts is going to cause some short and long term problems

The failsafe in the scenario where Kakko is offersheeted, which i still think is highly unlikely, is re-signing Strome to the team friendly deal weve discussed and running it back with largely the same team. Not a bad option either. My overall point is that it is easier for the Rangers to add a big money center now or in the summer than it looks on the surface.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
On his podcast today, Staple said Buch was pretty annoyed that he only got a 15 second “welcome back” video.

And to think fans wanted to keep a guy with that kind of attitude on the team. No wonder the team is winning now that they replaced guys like that was more leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad