Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX - I Won’t Back Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I do think being blocked matters. You essentially have a depreciating asset. It doesn't mean I think any less of them, but if they aren't going to make an impact on your roster, they should be used to upgrade holes, preferably for pieces that fit into the picture longer term.

I'm with you though, I think a piece like Lundkvist should only move if it means a long term 2C is coming back. Othmann + Schneider shouldn't go anywhere. Neither should Miller.

If you trade a depreciating asset for a rental, then as soon as the season is over, the asset has depreciated to zero.

Trade assets for long term pieces. Rentals are dumb.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There absolutely is going to be a time when the Rangers make a huge splash and bring in a player that puts them over the top for good. It's the Rangers MO as it always has been and most championship teams do this at some point And I'm not talking about a deadline acquisition because 9/10 those end up not being the difference for a team winning or losing.

There are going to be very good players that become available for a lot of different reasons in the near future - cap, team directions, trade requests, whatever. The Rangers need to make sure they have their most easily tradeable high valued assets available for when that player or players materializes.

There will be another Eichel at some point.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
But they didn’t HAVE to move him at all. It was a terrible move in hindsight

You know we had to. He was an anchor on our defense and that contract was horrendous. We desperately needed the capspace especially bc of all the buyouts prior.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You know we had to. He was an anchor on our defense and that contract was horrendous. We desperately needed the capspace especially bc of all the buyouts prior.
The contract was no longer horrendous, and they didn’t do anything with the cap space. They replaced him with Jack Johnson. It was a terrible trade

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So since Nemeth rejoined the lineup, he has been playing pretty well. I'm thinking that he may convince the Rangers they don't need to trade for another defenseman.
Agreed.... I think GG will be fine with Nemeth/Jones platooning for the 6 D spot.

nemeth likely gets the nod first being a vet and since our D overall is very young.

hajek I guess would be available in an emergency should that arise

Reactions: leetch99 and Cag29

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
So since Nemeth rejoined the lineup, he has been playing pretty well. I'm thinking that he may convince the Rangers they don't need to trade for another defenseman.
I agree, Nemeth has been real solid since his return and has even brought a little edge to his game that wasn’t there before.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Shit was crazy. Nick f***ing Bonino tied Malkin in points during the 1st run. Then they pulled off a repeat without Kris Letang playing a single game.

Like…what.

And Matt f***ing Murray in net.

Murray was in a postion where he was Calder eligible AFTER winning 2 cups.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
If you trade a depreciating asset for a rental, then as soon as the season is over, the asset has depreciated to zero.

Trade assets for long term pieces. Rentals are dumb.

^This^

The only exception is for heavy powerhouse teams that are favored to go far in the playoffs. Those rentals joining the team are driven to help win the cup like a missing piece of an incomplete puzzle.
It seems to never work out when the players are brought in as the lynchpin. Don’t have to go to far for proof of this. Just look at Sather’s years here and all the players he brought in on expiring contracts who couldn’t wait for the team to get eliminated so the could get back to their families and home. Very little incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad