Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX - I Won’t Back Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Could be, Elliotte is good but he's no Bob McKenzie and I question how inside he is with the Rangers.

That being said, that's a complete Dolan MO and I buy it 100%.

If you'll remember, Dolan did this in 2012 as well. He did a post-game media thing were he said "I think we're pretty close to getting [the Stanley Cup] back," and then Tort's got on the podium and said "I had my owner up here talking about a Stanley Cup that's a bunch of bullshit."
Horse not Bull. lol

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Emily Kaplan

Giordano technically has a 10-team no trade list, but I heard he has not even bothered giving it to the Kraken, knowing the team that trades for him will be one that views itself as a contender. So far, teams that have showed the most interest include the New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Florida Panthers, St. Louis Blues and Carolina Hurricanes. However, it seems unlikely Francis would deal to the Hurricanes, his former team, to help them get better.

The New York Rangers have about $32 million in cap space, one of the best prospect systems in the league and a legitimate chance to win this season thanks to a their likely Vezina Trophy-winning goalie, Igor Shesterkin. Look for them to add.
I've heard they're in on some veteran defenseman (they have an extremely young blue line) but have also done significant scouting on forwards, too.

The two prospects I've heard teams have honed in on the most with the Rangers are Vitali Kravtsov and Nils Lundqvist.

Outside Fleury, the best goaltender available might be Alexandar Georgiev. He's very much in play. The 26-year-old is a pending restricted free agent, and it seems like a forgone conclusion that he'd welcome a fresh start next season -- seeing as he'll be blocked by Shesterkin, also 26, in New York.

Georgiev is intriguing to teams because he's not just a one-year solution; he'll be under team control with the possibility to work out something longer term. The Rangers could wait until the summer to deal Georgiev; if they do trade him this season, they'll need to acquire a veteran to serve as backup for Shesterkin.

NHL trade notes and rumors: What we're hearing on Giordano, DeBrusk, Fleury, more

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Kreider Zib Laf
Panarin Strome Kakko

That is the top 6. It works. Need more scoring depth below so that teams can't so easily play the matchup game against other top teams and/or in the playoffs.

Lehkonen Goodrow Rakell
Barron Jarnkrok Reaves

Rooney slots into that 4th line when healthy, probably Hunt too

Chytil for Lehkonen
- probably an overpay, maybe some fancy adds on either end with meh prospects or draft pick exchanges

2nd + Hajek for Rakell
- probably a pure rental, but possibility of bringing back Rakell on a cheaper contract, he has had some down years and maybe takes something like 2 years 5.5 million to replenish his value

Gauthier for Jarnkrok
- Gauthier has good fancy stats, draft pedigree, and is a young player with years of control. It makes sense for Seattle unless they get a 1st round pick offered from a team, which they won't
Playing Rakell with two defense first grinders would be a waste of his skillset. He should be playing with skilled players.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Didn’t the pens win a Cup with kessel on the third line?

for me he’s a no brainer for that cheap. I’d put him there. He may be a plan like C if Miller doesn’t happen
When he was 28 years old? He's 34 and doesn't provide what we need. Imagine how perimeter and soft a Panarin Strome Kessel line would be.

Who did Kessel play with in Pittsburgh? We need those type of players. We need a Bonino or Hagelin to balance out the type of 'skill' we have.

Panarin needs some bulls or sparkplugs with hands and above room-temperature hockey IQ

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Playing Rakell with two defense first grinders would be a waste of his skillset. He should be playing with skilled players.
He would help the transition game on that line and add some scoring depth. Panarin and Strome have shown that their line works best with having a player that works well on defense is best; Kakko has been great at filling that role and is skilled enough to keep up. Rakell makes sense there but can also fill in on the top 6 in the event of an injury or suspension.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
@Trxjw made a good point in the trade forum thread: what we’re seeing now from the Vancouver media is exactly what happened here when we were getting ready to deal McDonagh. Brooks kept saying that we must get back Point or Sergachev, despite them never being actually available, and the fans ran with it.

Vancouver is going to get a good return for Miller, but it’s going to be closer to what we got for McDonagh/traded for Yandle than anything that’s out there now.

I like him alot, but don’t think we’re at a point to make a big move like that. We should be focused on adding more NHL-ready forward depth that can grow with our young core. I really, really want someone like Nick Robertson from Toronto. I’d also pay a fortune to Nashville for Phil Tomasino.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
To be fair, I don't think Brooks ever suggested we should get Point for McDonagh. I think that only lived here.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Look at his last name.

62081544.jpg

Easy! That's my mother's maiden name.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If everyone's available from Seattle, I hope we're also asking about Gourde. Four more years at $5 million sounds like a good contract to me, and if you manage to unload Nemeth and Georgiev, that balances out the salary. Also makes Strome a bit more expendable. With the way he's been playing in a contract year, a long-term contract just seems like a bad idea at $6 or $7 million.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
@Trxjw made a good point in the trade forum thread: what we’re seeing now from the Vancouver media is exactly what happened here when we were getting ready to deal McDonagh. Brooks kept saying that we must get back Point or Sergachev, despite them never being actually available, and the fans ran with it.

Vancouver is going to get a good return for Miller, but it’s going to be closer to what we got for McDonagh/traded for Yandle than anything that’s out there now.

I like him alot, but don’t think we’re at a point to make a big move like that. We should be focused on adding more NHL-ready forward depth that can grow with our young core. I really, really want someone like Nick Robertson from Toronto. I’d also pay a fortune to Nashville for Phil Tomasino.

Between that and the Laf for Turcotte thread, the trade board is really rounding into form heading in to the stretch run here.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
The Rangers needed a defenseman that year. Slats spent the trading deadline chasing Rick Nash. The Rangers played basically with 4 D because Torts didn't trust Stralman. Bickel was the 6th D. Maybe the Rangers beat Jersey that season if they had another D or two.

Dolan's boy didn't do his job.

Lundkvist is expendable in the right deal. It takes a long time to build up the prospect pool and it doesn't take much time to see it depleted. What are the Rangers getting back?
A prospect pool doesn’t mean shit if they won’t be used in the lineup or their value, perceived or otherwise, sucks.

Reactions: Vaheh

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Other teams seem to get good centers out of nowhere. St.Louis with Kyrou and Thomas. NJ has Mercer too now. Wyatt Johnson looks to be an elite prospect for the Stars. None were high picks.

Using that criteria we've found through the draft or very early trades, Stepan, Miller, Hayes, Dubinsky and Chytil. We also seem to be able to get top-4 d-men out of nowhere.
I don't like going in to bat for the way we draft and develop players, because i'm not a fan overall and think we should be better with the resources we could have at our disposal, but we're no worse than average at it. Not being able to find a 70pt center through the draft, ever, is quite impressive though

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kreider Zib Laf
Panarin Strome Kakko

That is the top 6. It works. Need more scoring depth below so that teams can't so easily play the matchup game against other top teams and/or in the playoffs.

Lehkonen Goodrow Rakell
Barron Jarnkrok Reaves

Rooney slots into that 4th line when healthy, probably Hunt too

Chytil for Lehkonen
- probably an overpay, maybe some fancy adds on either end with meh prospects or draft pick exchanges

2nd + Hajek for Rakell
- probably a pure rental, but possibility of bringing back Rakell on a cheaper contract, he has had some down years and maybe takes something like 2 years 5.5 million to replenish his value

Gauthier for Jarnkrok
- Gauthier has good fancy stats, draft pedigree, and is a young player with years of control. It makes sense for Seattle unless they get a 1st round pick offered from a team, which they won't

It’s too much...
Hunt is playing 2nd line now. You really think Gallant isn’t gonna deploy him and Reaves on 4th for the playoffs....

I think your looking at 1 of Lehkonen/Jarnkrok/Copp

a vet D ( maybe ) if nemeth Jones is shaky...
And Geo gone and halaK /Greiss in

Kreider-Zibby-Laffy
Panarin-Strome-Kakko/Lehkonen
Goodrow-Chytil-Kakko/Lehkonen
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

ex McKegg and Gauthier

lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Nemeth/Jones/Vet D trade-Schneider

ex Nemeth/Jones/vet D

Shesty
Halak/Greiss

unless their is a major injury, I’d be shocked if we added 2 Fwds.
Getting 2 Copp/Lehkonen/Jarnkrok/Laughton/Rakell etc would be ideal, but I doubt he spends the capital to do it.

I wouldn’t count Blais fully out either. Rangers will prob need to win 2 rounds....
If that happens, I could absolutely see him return. Not counting on it, but it sure as shit wouldn’t surprise me in the least either.

Edit-I do love your Gauthier for Jarnkrok deal... I would def do that and then resign him as a UFA for 4C when Rooney walks at the end of the season imo...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Other teams seem to get good centers out of nowhere. St.Louis with Kyrou and Thomas. NJ has Mercer too now. Wyatt Johnson looks to be an elite prospect for the Stars. None were high picks.
You have to draft centers to get good centers.

Thomas was picked one pick ahead of Chytil. Rangers didn’t have a pick until 81st the Kyrou year. Also the Blues have much better player development than the Rangers do. Rangers didn’t have a shot a Mercer either. Rangers could have taken a shot at Johnson, but that requires a ton of hindsight. But again they took a winger with similar ranked centers on the board. Have to draft centers to get centers. Taking BPA center from the O every year would not be the worst draft strategy

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You have to draft centers to get good centers.

Thomas was picked one pick ahead of Chytil. Rangers didn’t have a pick until 81st the Kyrou year. Also the Blues have much better player development than the Rangers do. Rangers didn’t have a shot a Mercer either. Rangers could have taken a shot at Johnson, but that requires a ton of hindsight. But again they took a winger with similar ranked centers on the board. Have to draft centers to get centers. Taking BPA center from the O every year would not be the worst draft strategy
Or they ask out.... Eichel/PLD style...
Or you take a chance on a guy like FLA did with Bennett and we Did with strome.
Dallas trades for Seguin, col trades for Kadri, Nashville for Johansson/Duchscene, Calgary trades for Lindholm.....
It does happen. It’s just harder to find, you have to jump on the opportunity when it presents itself....

If you want youth+ cost-control, then yes, the draft is usually the best route.

schiefle’s time is running out in Winnipeg, they need to revamp their D. The best players on their defense are undersized PMD types, and PLD needs a raise. Lowry is also on his new deal, and they have Perfetti/Lucius In the wings.
Wheeler is also pretty untradeable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad