Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX - I Won’t Back Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
^This^

The only exception is for heavy powerhouse teams that are favored to go far in the playoffs. Those rentals joining the team are driven to help win the cup like a missing piece of an incomplete puzzle.
It seems to never work out when the players are brought in as the lynchpin. Don’t have to go to far for proof of this. Just look at Sather’s years here and all the players he brought in on expiring contracts who couldn’t wait for the team to get eliminated so the could get back to their families and home. Very little incentive.

Not true at all. You also have assets that will depreciate since that player is blocked an NHL spot.

Someone currently blocked is Matt Robertson. You can keep him, but he's behind Nemeth and Jones for 3LD. He's valuable to a rebuilding team since he is more steady than flashy.

Someone like Barron is also a depreciating asset. He's going unused right now. Behind a lot of players. It took a while to get him in. Down 4 forwards and he barely played. A seller takes him in and he plays. He's got talent, just not really an opportunity.

So rentals aren't only for the top of the top teams. Why would the Rangers not add a rental? Their window is just opening. The amount of assets in the system is very high. Not all of those will hit and not all of those will be able to play on the team.

We're also not talking about blocking the current young guys. Their acquisition isn't robbing Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider, etc of the experience. It's to remove the McKeggs, Hunts, and Gauthier from the lineup.

They're a top 6 team in the East with those guys playing roles and being used more than anyone thought. How could you not explore rentals to remove them from the equation? Would a non-rental be good to get? Sure, but you cannot remove the rental option since it is "early" in the process.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Not true at all. You also have assets that will depreciate since that player is blocked an NHL spot.

Someone currently blocked is Matt Robertson. You can keep him, but he's behind Nemeth and Jones for 3LD. He's valuable to a rebuilding team since he is more steady than flashy.

Someone like Barron is also a depreciating asset. He's going unused right now. Behind a lot of players. It took a while to get him in. Down 4 forwards and he barely played. A seller takes him in and he plays. He's got talent, just not really an opportunity.

So rentals aren't only for the top of the top teams. Why would the Rangers not add a rental? Their window is just opening. The amount of assets in the system is very high. Not all of those will hit and not all of those will be able to play on the team.

We're also not talking about blocking the current young guys. Their acquisition isn't robbing Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider, etc of the experience. It's to remove the McKeggs, Hunts, and Gauthier from the lineup.

They're a top 6 team in the East with those guys playing roles and being used more than anyone thought. How could you not explore rentals to remove them from the equation? Would a non-rental be good to get? Sure, but you cannot remove the rental option since it is "early" in the process.
Sandis Ozolinsh
Eric Staal
Olli Jokinin
Bryan McCabe
Ryan Clowe
Brendan Smith

Matt Robertson isn’t being blocked. He is developing. He needs to fill out his frame and get stronger along the walls and in front and behind the net. Give him another year and then Lindgren or Nemeth( with only one year on his contract left) can be moved.
Hunt, Rooney, McKegg are on expiring contracts. Reaves has another year. So Barron, Richards and Lauri Pajuniemi and Austin Ruechoff have time.
Rome wasn’t built in a day. We are building the right way.

Indian proverb, “Blessed is he who plants trees under whose shade he will never sit.”

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
Sandis Ozolinsh
Eric Staal
Olli Jokinin
Bryan McCabe
Ryan Clowe
Brendan Smith

Matt Robertson isn’t being blocked. He is developing. He needs to fill out his frame and get stronger along the walls and in front and behind the net. Give him another year and then Lindgren or Nemeth( with only one year on his contract left) can be moved.
Hunt, Rooney, McKegg are on expiring contracts. Reaves has another year. So Barron, Richards and Lauri Pajuniemi and Austin Ruechoff have time.

Indian proverb, “Blessed is he who plants trees under whose shade he will never sit.”
Those were rentals that were mere shells of themselves. Old for hockey players. Had a little something left ( though Smith was serviceable his first and 3rd and 4th year) any rentals won’t be here long. Might as well try to get to the top. Don’t give up too
much and bring hem in. If we are there make some noise

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
It’s better a buyer then a seller. Means we are doing better then some other teams. Kick the tires and see what you can get, just don’t break the bank. If there is nothing out there stand pat and promote from within, throw something on the wall and see what sticks

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
So since Nemeth rejoined the lineup, he has been playing pretty well. I'm thinking that he may convince the Rangers they don't need to trade for another defenseman.

There are so many rental D available. Not many buyers. Some of these teams expecting a bonanza might be disappointed. Emily Kaplan wrote the Habs haven't received an offer of #1 pick for Chiarot. That is obvious because Gorton and Hughes(who is making those decisions?)haven't moved any of their players since Toffoli.

Lindholm
Giordano
Manson

The Rangers wanted #1 picks for some of their rentals and they ended up with a 2nd and Rykov for Grabner and a 2nd and 3rd for Zuccarello.

We have used the 2 playoff run selling point with McDonagh. You get him for two playoff runs. Blah. Blah. The Rangers didn't get Sergachev or Point in the deal. The Rangers added Miller to the deal and ended up with Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick(after TB failed to make the Cup final in 2018 or 2019).

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Exactly right. Hey, maybe $8m Trouba could be moved and then use the free agent savings to go sign a center!

But some people are all about instant gratification.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The insert link tool doesn't appear to be working after the migration, but pasting the text of the link into the post without using the tool does appear to work.

Edit: with some sites, the tool works. Apparently with daily faceoff, it does not.

Last edited:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So since Nemeth rejoined the lineup, he has been playing pretty well. I'm thinking that he may convince the Rangers they don't need to trade for another defenseman.
100%. Between him and Jones let’s hope. No need for anyone else unless it’s a pure depth piece or a legit long term upgrade.

Reactions: leetch99

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Sandis Ozolinsh
Eric Staal
Olli Jokinin
Bryan McCabe
Ryan Clowe
Brendan Smith

You know who also is developing? Miller and Jones. Lindgren is a staple, he's going to be here for a while. Where is the spot? I'm not saying you move him for the garbage you listed, but you can get a real legit good rental where he is in the trade.

You can do both things. You can build the right way and also move out assets that will expire before you really get to use them.

What is his potential? A #4 type? That's probably the max. Probably settles in as 3rd pairing type. You can draft more of those. You can sign those relatively cheap in UFA. Hell, you can get an NCAA free agent that can fill that kind of role. If a team values him for a rental, I'm moving him.

We can't and won't have spots for everyone. Same goes for someone like Panuniemi. He's a RW, but we obviously have Laf and Kakko on RW. Then you have someone like Berard, few years away. Cuylle and Othmann as well. Bread isn't going anywhere. I doubt Kreider is either. You just don't have space. If everything goes his way, Paju is probably a Olafsson (BUF) type player. If a team values him, he's being moved too.

Barron I keep, he's an NHLer. You need him as a replacement player this year and can fill a 4th line role now and moving forward.

Everyone else you mentioned can be found and refound via the draft, college free agency, and even UDFA out of juniors. I'd much prefer Laf, Kakko, Fox, Chytil, Miller, Schneider, Jones, Shesterkin, and Lindgren know what it is to make a run, which this team can go on.

This team is no longer about getting in, this team is now how do we match the depth of a Carolina and Pittsburgh. The high end talent isn't that different. The 3rd and 4th lines are. Get the 3rd line in order and roll the dice.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Rangers with 2 scouts at Chicago-Philly today.
eb404546148aec33c0bb7368574fed9b.jpg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
You could move them for rentals; but why? Sadly injuries happen.
If we need to make a trade because of excess, just make a move out of the @Amazing Kreiderman ’s playbook. Trade surplus strengths for needs or add a prospect(s) with a pick to move up in the draft.
I assuming that no one here is getting on a spaceship to colonize a far off planet and won’t be returning. Which means we all will probably still be Ranger fans in the next 3 to 5 years. Why then make trades that payoff but also expire in 3 months?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Sandis Ozolinsh
Eric Staal
Olli Jokinin
Bryan McCabe
Ryan Clowe
Brendan Smith

Well how long do we have to live to get another Cup?

I'd say once in 82 yrs is a LONG time

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Shit was crazy. Nick f***ing Bonino tied Malkin in points during the 1st run. Then they pulled off a repeat without Kris Letang playing a single game.

Like…what.
I saw where lightning coach bitching about Pittsburgh not getting penalized. I‘be never understood nhl’s love affair with the pens.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I love Zadina. I know he’s had a rough start but he has Alex Semin upside. Deadly.

But it only really makes sense in a swap for Kakko and I don’t make that deal today. I think Kakko has a much higher ceiling.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I love Zadina. I know he’s had a rough start but he has Alex Semin upside. Deadly.

But it only really makes sense in a swap for Kakko and I don’t make that deal today. I think Kakko has a much higher ceiling.

HOLY OVERPAYMENT BATMAN!

Kakko for filip Zadina? It doesnt make sense at all. Why would we give up the better player? If we went after Zadina it would be for other prospects.

Fitzy you love giving way to much my dude.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not sure i would do it but would you trade for Hayes with 2 mill retained? Keep strome for the run this year as a 3rd liner and then replace Strome and Chytil with Hayes and Barron/Goodrow the following year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
@TheBloodyNine What do you mean? A very influential living legend in Dominic Hasek was calling for it. The ex Caps defender and coach Calle Johansson was calling for it. The NY Post was reporting on it. I didn’t say it should happen, I just posed a question, “what if”.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad