Speculation: Roster Building Thread: (still) No Quinn In NY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Got to be better than Tinordi
LOL...I figured Tinordi was the back up plan if our heavyweight ended up on his back in a Wilson fight .....we would have needed a Plan B on account of all the toughness talk in the days that followed the Wilson incident and the firings after the fact . I don't think he was ever considered to be in the Rangers top 6 unless NEEDED for a Plan B . With all that talk...a Plan B was needed . If Wilson had of wrecked Reaves instead of PK for or in game 1 we would have looked pretty bad with nobody to answer the bell against Wilson for the rest of the game other than Goodrow or Trouba . Anyways.....that is how I always viewed that signing .

Reactions: Ola and egelband

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
The point was that Josi had the best offensive season for a defenseman in the last 29 years.

That should have won him the Norris as it's the only award specific for defensemen.

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Guess for other Rangers tryouts? really wanted a chance on Zac Aston Reese and De Haan. I doubt Vesey is the only PTO with Rangers unless Rangers really think Jones, Othmann, Cuylle will get a legit chance of making the opening night roster.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Guess for other Rangers tryouts? really wanted a chance on Zac Aston Reese and De Haan. I doubt Vesey is the only PTO with Rangers unless Rangers really think Jones, Othmann, Cuylle will get a legit chance of making the opening night roster.
I think Vesey is a backup unless one of Cuylle,Othmann arent ready to make the roster.
Cuylle at least has AHL as an option, Othamann doesn't. I think if he's close they'll get him 40ish games.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
In the 2019/20 season, Carlson ended up finishing 10 points ahead of Josi (was pacing for 89 points on the season). While not 96 points like what Josi just accomplished, he was still able to have a points gap that was the same as the Josi/Makar gap, yet accomplished it in a shorter season.

Why did Josi win the Norris that season over Carlson?
Carlson is straight up garbage defensively. Josi isn’t amazing but he’s much better than that

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

More proof our reporters literally know nothing and just speculate the same way we do.

Good too, I think Hajek is legitimately better than Beaulieu anyway (and I think Hajek sucks).

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Then, respectably, I'd would question your ability how to judge a persons defensive impact.

Makar
1dd923162fa3e990d788332509a2df8f.png

Josi
bf03c0a7c8275ec12aad60cd053fa485.png

b95b7e5c8efec79e26e5f0162ed89458.png

4e4c71f22172b9cfd546db6896979aba.png

(Orange bar is the even-strength defensive GAR and the teal is PK)

678aaf4a575ad36129c253ca41d22735.png
Colorado was miles better defensively when Makar was on the ice this past season. Nashville as a team was better defensively when Josi was on the bench. Similar situation with PKing.

This isn't me saying that Josi is like some Barrie or DeAngelo level defensive impact player. He has shown, in the past, that he is in a large part a positive from a defensive impact view for his team. Just not last season. And this isn't because of any crazy decrease in skill in defense on Josi's part, but because of what the Preds needed from him in order to give themselves the best chance at winning games. And that was with Josi just going all out offense at the expense of his defense.

All of these analytics show that Makar was significantly better than Josi on the defensive end. Makar's defensive analytics wouldn't be this much better this past season than Josi's if Makar wasn't a simply a better defender.
Lmao, how do you even find this post? Buried in page hundred whatever of a roster building thread on the Rangers board. And feel inclined to go into a full throated defense of a player whom 99% of this board would agree with you about?

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Lmao, how do you even find this post? Buried in page hundred whatever of a roster building thread on the Rangers board. And feel inclined to go into a full throated defense of a player whose 99% of this board would agree with you about?
Well there was a person with a different take… that shall not stand! Hahaha.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think its a no-brainer. Stutzle is the real deal. 8m now will be 5m in 2030. You may not know if he will be a 8m player in a year or two, but you clear a ton of risk and has an extreme amount of potential at the back-end of that contract so its a decision that got to be seen as being worth it.
Makes sense. And a team like Ottawa can’t afford to risk losing guy by bridging him, Rangers style.

Not saying one way is right or wrong. Just different approaches for different situations.

Reactions: Ola

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers would be smart to give PTO to Evan Rodrigues, Sonny Milano Brett Richie Derek Brassard for depth. He adds RW help grit and SH depth. He would add speed to the lineup. Not that I want this guy cause what he did to Henrik, but Eakin played for Gallant and is a center. How about taking a chance on Derek Brassard? Might as well bring him back too. Depth at center.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Rangers would be smart to give PTO to Evan Rodrigues, Sonny Milano Brett Richie Derek Brassard for depth. He adds RW help grit and SH depth. He would add speed to the lineup. Not that I want this guy cause what he did to Henrik, but Eakin played for Gallant and is a center. How about taking a chance on Derek Brassard? Might as well bring him back too. Depth at center.
We may be able to offer PTOs but most of these players know the limited cap space the Rangers are playing with. They know if they make the squad they're looking at making league minimum. So, we may get one or two of these guys if they're still around in the days before camp, but I don't know that the Rangers are super appealing if you're capable of being paid over 1m. When it's the difference between 800k and 1.2 million, every 100K matters - a lot.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
We may be able to offer PTOs but most of these players know the limited cap space the Rangers are playing with. They know if they make the squad they're looking at making league minimum. So, we may get one or two of these guys if they're still around in the days before camp, but I don't know that the Rangers are super appealing if you're capable of being paid over 1m. When it's the difference between 800k and 1.2 million, every 100K matters - a lot.
Rangers are a young team and they were just in the Eastern Conference Finals. If players want a chance to win especially guys that are vets like Brassard for example, maybe they'd take a chance for a PTO with a contender. Brassard was a olayidd warrior. Id take a chance to bring him back

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Rangers are a young team and they were just in the Eastern Conference Finals. If players want a chance to win especially guys that are vets like Brassard for example, maybe they'd take a chance for a PTO with a contender. Brassard was a olayidd warrior. Id take a chance to bring him back
Exactly... You would be paying him for what he was, which has no relation to what the player currently is.

Reactions: Rongomania

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Are you suggesting bringing in all of these guys for a thunder dome style battle for, mayyyyyyybe, one league minimum slot? That’s probably earmarked for Vesey, already. Or one of them to battle Vesey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad