Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Think that depends on if Seattle retains on Gourde and what Lehkonen is looking for in his next contract. Gourde would replace Strome and Lehkonen would move on to the 3rd line. Next season you could have:

Kreider - Zib - Laff
Panarin - Gourde - Kakko
Lehkonen - Goodrow - Blais
Hunt - Rooney (depending on price) - Reaves

A lot of what the Rangers will be able to do depends on the Kakko contract. His play through his ELC and this season combined with how long he has been out hurt will impact things. It depends if the Rangers want to bridge him cheap or lock him up longer term (if the player even wants that) at a higher rate (but likely cheaper then what it could cost after that bridge deal ends. I personally think Kakko is going to want a bridge.
The question there is: do you consider Gourde a legit 2C on a contending team. As you're lines kind of have the same flaws that the current one does—lack of depth down the middle.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Tell me RB, what changes next season that gives the Rangers better shot next year than this one, except for the looming cap crunch? What about the season after that, or the one after that?!? We have a great team with a few holes this season. The objective should be to address those holes and try to win this season. I’m not saying trade all of the prospects and picks, but three good pickups this year and we have a legit shot. Most of this board is ready to throw away this season for some pie in the sky theory of windows and having to lose to win…nonsense!

We need to to improve next year if we are to be a contender going forward -- but that is not impossible. Good things happen to good teams. Carolina lost a Norris candidate level D in Dougie Hamilton last season and replaced him with spare parts, and now they feel that one of those spare parts even is an upgrade over what they had.

We have fixed issues in NY before. When I was younger we had an issue between the pipes. It took a long long time for us to replace Richter. Management sat down and said, listen, if we ever is to become respected again we must get a top goaltender. How did we solve that? We drafted Dan Blackburn 10th overall, Al Montoya 6th overall, Also picked a bunch of other goalies, one was Hank. We also loaded up on top AHL goalies. For a long time, HFD always had elite elite goaltending. Jason Labarbarera. Johan Holmqvist. Valley. Jason Muzatti. JF Labbe. We traded for goalies, Dunham and Weeks. Eventually -- Hank emerged.

Who is our best PMD RHS D between Zubov and Shattenkirk? We didn't have anyone. Klein? Girardi? Then we really focused on this. Trades. Drafts. UFA signings. This resulted that we as an organization at one point of time was in possession of the following FIVE RHS PMDs: Adam Fox, Tony Deangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Neal Pionk. All have basically been around the top 15 in RD scoring just the last 12 months.

OTOH, a team like Philly haven't had a decent goaltender since 1986, so I am not saying that its always easy. BUT, this is IMO how you solve an issue. I don't know how many times we have tried to fill a hole by signing one big UFA that fits the mold, and it doesn't work. Its not that easy. You need flexibility and many horses in the race. We must replace Strome. We don't have that many horses in the race. We need more. This is what Drury should focus on.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is there anything out there about Seattle even entertaining the thought of moving Gourde?

He's excellent and what we need in every capacity, but seems like the kind of guy Seattle would want to keep around.

Easy 1+Nils for him though if he were available. Maybe even expand to get Gio as well.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I'd be pretty surprised if Giroux went for a pick that far out. Never say never but Fletcher trading a franchise icon for a pick that doesn't even get to be made until 2+ years from now seems to be...not ideal for his job security.
Well they can’t get a 1st from Florida otherwise so not sure it really matters when it is as long as it’s a first.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Is there anything out there about Seattle even entertaining the thought of moving Gourde?

He's excellent and what we need in every capacity, but seems like the kind of guy Seattle would want to keep around.

Easy 1+Nils for him though if he were available. Maybe even expand to get Gio as well.
Someone reported recently there’s really no one not available from Seattle

Reactions: leetch99

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The obsession for flipping one of our defenseman for one of LAK’s centers needs to go. Turcotte really isn’t even good. Or at least hasn’t been at the pro level at all. And even then you’re not getting him for Lundkvist. Kupari and Vilardi are legit no different from Chytil. In fact the only difference is that they play for another team so they’re automatically shinier.

Vilardi’s career high in points is only one more than Chytil in 10 more games played. They were the same exact age as well for their career highs except Vilardi spent more time on the wing. Vilardi has a single goal this season through 10 games. Not to mention his extensive injury history

Kupari has 10 points in 40 games played. What does anyone on here even like about him aside from the fact he was a recent first round pick who can play C? This guy is the same age as Kravtsov

Also prospect for prospect trades especially at this caliber of prospect almost never happen. This is EANHL type thinking

Reactions: Mac n Gs

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Attachments

• everyone-all.gif
    everyone-all.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 3

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

What would Suzuki and Lehkonen cost?

I wouldn’t even hope for Suzuki. That’s probably Laf +. Habs fans are in love with him and he’s their up coming 1C

I think Lehkonen will return a 1st and a small add. No reason for Habs to trade him otherwise. Meaningless but Habs fans want Lundkvist and a 2nd for him from us

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
With all of the guys around the league being taken out of practice and games you gotta think the damn is gonna break soon.

1 Million trades in 4 hours

• Haha
Reactions: leetch99

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

We have talked about young center prospects. Nic Robertsson’s name is mentioned in Toronto ( 32 thoughts).

I think he would be a great add to the depth chart. He has been a wing after turning pro but was a center before that. Definitely think he makes more sense at C. We don’t have what Toronto is looking for, and these things that may make sense in theory but are a bit complicated almost never happen, but if someone is looking for more upside than Nic R, I wouldn’t mind sending Kravy for Robertsson in a 3-way deal (with Toronto getting a vet, and the team giving up the vet getting Kravy).
Nic Robertson is not a center lol. One of the last players you want at C

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I wouldn’t even hope for Suzuki. That’s probably Laf +. Habs fans are in love with him and he’s their up coming 1C

I think Lehkonen will return a 1st and a small add. No reason for Habs to trade him otherwise. Meaningless but Habs fans want Lundkvist and a 2nd for him from us
Bleagh

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

I'd be ok trading a first for Lehkonen, if we were guaranteed to extend him.

I think he fills a pothole in the bottom 6 and he's a future bud for Kakko. You aren't assured much at the bottom third of the 1st round anyway. Keep the 2 seconds and move up if needed

Reactions: Daves a mess

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I always love the assumption that two guys will be "buds" because they come from the same country. Is everyone from the US best friends? Canadians? (ok maybe). I'd think by now Kakko has made some friends on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad