Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't know, I'd rather go for a guy that has won at different levels, or gotten the most out of very little.

I'm been on Jackson's bandwagon since he lead Union to a championship with just 1 NHL regular on his team. Big fan of coaches who get the most out of their roster.

The analytics angle- I think the messaging is out there to appease a vocal portion of the fanbase. The reality is that NHL teams use a lot of proprietary advanced analytics that aren't out there in online databases where people can run them through BI tool and have vacuous conversations. I'll give you an example: was talking to a former player whose current employer has one that is line with their scheme. Odd metric, but one which a certain player absolutely loves because it revolves around him. Let's just say that player is a considered a star... and has had very consistent top line outputs for several years. They analytics department knows, that if he gets a shot off in a certain situation... or set-up... he's got a good chance of burying it.

But all in all it's a good effective brand message for a rebuilding team. We've seen the EDM, ARI, FLA, WPG fanbases bite on it while they're teams rocked a .400 winning percentage. I'm sure the vocal ones on social media will too. If you're going to suck, you need all the fan support you can get to keep selling tickets.

First term head coaches have won cups with teams that won before, in Pittsburgh and Detroit. Otherwise it’s mostly second chance guys? Sutter and Quenville has been around. Julien too.

I’d also do my diligence on Patrick Roy, Adam Oates and Dallas Eakins. Young coaches with fresh ambitions that came in and probably learned a ton what it takes to coach in the NHL. Not saying that either would be a great option — but the lesson those guys learned is also important.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe Gorton is open for many options and nothing is set in stone at the moment @Alluckks And not many saw the Stepan trade before it happen for instant, and I think this rebuild just started when Gorton figure out they won`t get close to a cup with the current core and that is a rebuild all about to start with new core pieces and build for the future.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I believe Gorton is open for many options and nothing is set in stone at the moment @Alluckks And not many saw the Stepan trade before it happen for instant, and I think this rebuild just started when Gorton figure out they won`t get close to a cup with the current core and that is a rebuild all about to start with new core pieces and build for the future.
If you are trying to compare Stepan to Zibanejad as a way of justifying a trade then you are out to lunch.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If you are trying to compare Stepan to Zibanejad as a way of justifying a trade then you are out to lunch.
No, I don`t compare any trades. A rebuild is something fresh and new while starting over and think about the next 10 years in NHL concerning the player market and future draft picks.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
First term head coaches have won cups with teams that won before, in Pittsburgh and Detroit. Otherwise it’s mostly second chance guys? Sutter and Quenville has been around. Julien too.

I’d also do my diligence on Patrick Roy, Adam Oates and Dallas Eakins. Young coaches with fresh ambitions that came in and probably learned a ton what it takes to coach in the NHL. Not saying that either would be a great option — but the lesson those guys learned is also important.
No to Roy, and Oates wears more makeup than the ice girls, Eakins ok.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No to Roy, and Oates wears more makeup than the ice girls, Eakins ok.

It’s not easy to find great options.

Roy could be a great option from many perspectives — but his ego is probably too big. He has he personality to handle NY. Super energetic, many players seem to love him. Knows what it takes to win. But can he sit still in the boat and be patient enough and let it take the time it takes to build a successful organization for not only 1-2 years but 6-7 years? I doubt it.

Dallas Eakins — I like a lot of things about him. But this supposed wonder coach from the AHL turned out to be so much about forecheck, forecheck and then more forecheck in the NHL. Who forechecks anymore? To forecheck you must dump the puck in. In the NHL today, dumping the puck in should be last resort. The more you transport the puck over the blueline the better the more you score. It shows you the danger with taking a guy from the AHL.

I think Adam Oates have said that he won’t coach anymore in the NHL — BUT I think it’s hard to find a better teacher. A better hockeymind. Think he is the type who really could contribute a ton to a rebuilding team.

In the end I think coaching in the NHL is way to effin hierarchistic. It’s a tough demanding job. Get the best three guys possible for the job.

This might not be the three guys that wins a Cup in NY, but to take this organization further I would like to see something like this:
Adam Oates, Head Coach
Richard Grönborg, Associate coach, forwards and offense
Dallas Eakins, Associate coach, defense and backcheck
Benny A, GKs

Theee tremendously dedicated leaders with an own will and so many ideas and such a great understanding of the game. Not one guy who is supposed to show up with a great plan for an interview and then pick a few assistants handpicked by him to not be a threat if he sucks...

Reactions: Alexei Kovalev 27

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I think they can afford to take a chance on a coach though. Next year is a transition year, lots of mismatched parts, low expectations.

If they think Eakins, Stevens or some guy who's had the same plum job at a big college program for 37 years is a secret hockey guru, whatever, I'll roll with it. If he doesn't staple Lias Andersson to Cody McLeod we're basically fine.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
One thing that kind of irks me is that I think we really would need a coach that would take a huge responsibility when building the franchise. Babcock is undoubtedly doing that in Toronto. He is involved in everything, helping to push it further. Maybe a Darryl Sutter might be someone like hat, but I doubt it.

Ok I got a new favorite head coach candidate. Ron Francis. Two super good assistents that are more hands on coaches.

My favorite trio would be:
Ron Francis, Head coach
Sheldon Keefe, associate coach forwards
Dallas Eakins, associate coach defense

:)

Reactions: Ori

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Roy would be an knterintere candidate... Guy is firey, high energy, players would respond to him .Definitely knows how to set the boundaries for the players to follow. Only catch would be he would have had to modify his system so that it is no longer an AV Clone.... Colorado gave uo the most shots in the league by a large margin when he was coach.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Man deangelo is not going to be traded for a third rounder, that is horrible value for him. He’s too talented to only fetch a third. ADA gets way too much hate on these forums

To be fair he kind of looks like a defensive liability . Hope I’m wrong and he breaks out

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

Agreeing with @Irishguy42 ...

I know some behind the scenes stuff on Oates as a coach... and I would not want him here.

Something not so juicy, but funny nonetheless - Oates made it clear that when the camera showed the bench he had to be included in the shot, and he would not let other coaches or personal receive spotlight because of his own obsession. It was an issue, and is a minor example of a much bigger issue he had as a coach. Keep him away from New York.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister and Ola

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
No, I don`t compare any trades. A rebuild is something fresh and new while starting over and think about the next 10 years in NHL concerning the player market and future draft picks.
How old exactly do you think Zibanejad is? And how long do you think he has been here?

You've included him in about a dozen trade proposals over the past month or two. The latest of which (Drouin) is laughable at best. You have a pet peeve with him, sure, we get it, but come on now man - enough already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad