Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
Keefe should be the guy. Don't know where all the Rangers don't like keefe is coming from. He is exactly what dolan reportedly wants in regards to developing young players in a coach. And i would trade skjei for trouba in a second. We have plenty of LD its the RD that has a hole in it.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Rangers focus on college coaches as search continues

This is a guess, because there’s been a pretty good Cone of Silence around the Rangers’ search — unlike the one ongoing with their Garden cousins, the Knicks – but I think Quinn might be the favorite here.

I believe the Rangers will speak to Toronto (AHL) coach Sheldon Keefe, if they haven’t already, but that he would have to blow away GM Jeff Gorton in an interview if it got that far.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Keefe should be the guy. Don't know where all the Rangers don't like keefe is coming from. He is exactly what dolan reportedly wants in regards to developing young players in a coach. And i would trade skjei for trouba in a second. We have plenty of LD its the RD that has a hole in it.
Carpinello thinks he has his finger on the pulse but he is a step or two behind. He, like many fans, doesn't understand that his personal opinions aren't in line with Rangers brass.

Most likely he dislikes Keefe for old stories and assumes everyone else does too.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't have a problem with Keefe's past. I am just worried what happens when you take him out of that infrastructure.

There are at least three AHL options that I take over Keefe. Alphabetically they would be Donatelli, Leach and Nelson.

You also might be able to get a Donatelli & Leach package if you could sell that correctly. Just like I feel like the Rangers may try to get a Quinn & Sacco ticket

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He’s really good and would be a good value pick, but speaking for myself, I’d be very disappointed if we pass on a defenseman.

I’d wait to see who was available and what they do later in the first round first.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Nah, it’s not that the Sabres are awful and he has no support. Forget that like 65% of the teams goals are facilitated by him in some fashion. He’s been a PPG player two years in a row on the worst teams in hockey. This is, “Nathan MacKinnon is a glorified 50 point player!” all over again.

Newsflash: 20 year old kid that’s won his whole life gets put into the worst environment in hockey and hates losing. That shocks people? I’d move heaven and earth to get Eichel on the Rangers. It just ain’t happening.

MacKinnon situation last year is a good comparison. The only difference is Eichel ‘s “too early” $8/$80 contact and injuries.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Rangers focus on college coaches as search continues

This is a guess, because there’s been a pretty good Cone of Silence around the Rangers’ search — unlike the one ongoing with their Garden cousins, the Knicks – but I think Quinn might be the favorite here.

I believe the Rangers will speak to Toronto (AHL) coach Sheldon Keefe, if they haven’t already, but that he would have to blow away GM Jeff Gorton in an interview if it got that far.

So Brooks run the article about JT Miller and Gorts start to feed info to Rick C instead? ;)

Reactions: GregSirico

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What would possibly be the point of trading him for a 3rd round pick?

I believe he is no longer waiver except as of this fall. If management doesn't think he will make the team over Pionk, Shattenkirk, and others, they risk losing him for nothing through waivers.

I say a 3rd because I believe that to be his approximate value at the moment. I'd hope for more, obviously.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why is Keefe a good candidate?

Not to step on any toes, but anyone with any sense of PR could create an imagine of being a perfect fit for a coaching job in the NHL. ‘Oh I am great at analytics and we play a modern style.’

Keefe has three OK years with good teams in the OHL and the AHL respectively. He has won a total of six rounds in the POs over 5 years (not counting this AHL season). Never won anything.

The OHL and the AHL are hardly leagues that are any type of front runners when it comes to having modern influences or good Xs and Os, it’s more the opposite. The AHL is a real graveyard for any kind of new thinking.

The intel we get on these guys are like less detailed than a 5 year old scouting report on a 17 y/o...

Reactions: Savant

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Why is Keefe a good candidate?

Not to step on any toes, but anyone with any sense of PR could create an imagine of being a perfect fit for a coaching job in the NHL. ‘Oh I am great at analytics and we play a modern style.’

Keefe has three OK years with good teams in the OHL and the AHL respectively. He has won a total of six rounds in the POs over 5 years (not counting this AHL season). Never won anything.

The OHL and the AHL are hardly leagues that are any type of front runners when it comes to having modern influences or good Xs and Os, it’s more the opposite. The AHL is a real graveyard for any kind of new thinking.

The intel we get on these guys are like less detailed than a 5 year old scouting report on a 17 y/o...

I don't know, I'd rather go for a guy that has won at different levels, or gotten the most out of very little.

I'm been on Jackson's bandwagon since he lead Union to a championship with just 1 NHL regular on his team. Big fan of coaches who get the most out of their roster.

The analytics angle- I think the messaging is out there to appease a vocal portion of the fanbase. The reality is that NHL teams use a lot of proprietary advanced analytics that aren't out there in online databases where people can run them through BI tool and have vacuous conversations. I'll give you an example: was talking to a former player whose current employer has one that is line with their scheme. Odd metric, but one which a certain player absolutely loves because it revolves around him. Let's just say that player is a considered a star... and has had very consistent top line outputs for several years. They analytics department knows, that if he gets a shot off in a certain situation... or set-up... he's got a good chance of burying it.

But all in all it's a good effective brand message for a rebuilding team. We've seen the EDM, ARI, FLA, WPG fanbases bite on it while they're teams rocked a .400 winning percentage. I'm sure the vocal ones on social media will too. If you're going to suck, you need all the fan support you can get to keep selling tickets.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Ola

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Nice pun, but as crazy as it may sound, I wouldn’t mind buying low on Drouin. He was on Montreal and forced to play out of his natural position.

I think he could be a 65+ point winger in the right situation. Slap him next to Zib-Kreider and I bet he looks nasty.

Except were giving up zibby and a first for him. Sure I would take him on that line though

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Nice pun, but as crazy as it may sound, I wouldn’t mind buying low on Drouin. He was on Montreal and forced to play out of his natural position.

I think he could be a 65+ point winger in the right situation. Slap him next to Zib-Kreider and I bet he looks nasty.
I’d trade him for Buch straight up but I doubt the Habs do it
I’d do Howden+2nd but that’s the furthest id probably go

Reactions: brians1128

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm going to make an odd prediction and say DeAngelo goes at the draft. Either for a third rounder or to move up.
Pionk leapfrogged him, but Shattenkirk may be gone within three years and every D we acquired at the deadline was a LHS. ADA only 22, we probably haven’t got the best read on him at this point. In any event, he’d go for more than a third or a bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad